Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think you can underestimate the positive effects of only playing once a week. It makes a massive difference nowadays in terms of recovery and actually planning for the weekend. We seen it with Chelsea under Conte and lower/mid-table teams getting into Europe and having great seasons before crashing down the table the next season due to the effects of playing in Europe.

The problem will be two-fold for Arteta in the summer. He's streamlined his squad so much to the point where it's struggling with fatigue/freshness playing once a week, he got rid of like 6 players in January alone and you can claim that these players may not have contributed much but I'm sure they would have helped with being in Europe next year. You will have to replace those players in the summer to contend with European football whilst also trying to strengthen the first team to compete for the top four. The striker alone is going to take a large chunk out of the budget, and I'd imagine Nketiah will leave now as well as Xhaka, two more players who will need replacing.

I don't see where Arsenal are going to get the resources from to essentially draft in 6-8 players to help them compete at the top end of the table and in Europe. I'd imagine they will bring in 3-5 players and they will struggle massively in the league next year.
This is why I think Europa is where we deserve to be as a club and a squad this season. This isn't knee jerk or making excuses after we finish 5th, I've said this fairly consistently on my posts.

4th would be great for the money and the players it might help you attract, but like you say our squad doesn't have the quality to compete on those 2 fronts consistently I think.

Europa should let you mix things up more, especially in the group stages, so let's you play more of the fringe players & the youngsters in the squad, so should provide a platform for the likes of Saliba (if he stays), Sambi, Patino etc to get some much needed game time. These guys need more games to develop, otherwise they'll just stagnate. Europa & League Cup first half of the season allows you to do that. In saying that, depending on who leaves, we might not make 6-8 signings, I still expect the club to make 4 or 5 signings.

And I'm not arrogant enough to think the Europa League is beneath us. Not being in Europe at all this season, & watching journeys of the likes of Rangers & Frankfurt, has made me realise its still a good competition, & has the prize of Champions League at the end of it as well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Athletic are genuinely one of the biggest Arteta's fans. The amount of positive coverage is unbelievable.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Athletic are genuinely one of the biggest Arteta's fans. The amount of positive coverage is unbelievable.
They have journalists & contributers that cover specific clubs, & many of them are supporters who done blogging, ie Gunnerblog.

So they tend to look at the positive aspects, and also relay the general vibe at the club and among the support.

Conor

This is why I think Europa is where we deserve to be as a club and a squad this season. This isn't knee jerk or making excuses after we finish 5th, I've said this fairly consistently on my posts.

4th would be great for the money and the players it might help you attract, but like you say our squad doesn't have the quality to compete on those 2 fronts consistently I think.

Europa should let you mix things up more, especially in the group stages, so let's you play more of the fringe players & the youngsters in the squad, so should provide a platform for the likes of Saliba (if he stays), Sambi, Patino etc to get some much needed game time. These guys need more games to develop, otherwise they'll just stagnate. Europa & League Cup first half of the season allows you to do that. In saying that, depending on who leaves, we might not make 6-8 signings, I still expect the club to make 4 or 5 signings.

And I'm not arrogant enough to think the Europa League is beneath us. Not being in Europe at all this season, & watching journeys of the likes of Rangers & Frankfurt, has made me realise its still a good competition, & has the prize of Champions League at the end of it as well.
Does Saliba have to literally win the Ballon D'Or to be in consideration for first choice CB for Arsenal :lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I don't think you can underestimate the positive effects of only playing once a week. It makes a massive difference nowadays in terms of recovery and actually planning for the weekend. We seen it with Chelsea under Conte and lower/mid-table teams getting into Europe and having great seasons before crashing down the table the next season due to the effects of playing in Europe.

The problem will be two-fold for Arteta in the summer. He's streamlined his squad so much to the point where it's struggling with fatigue/freshness playing once a week, he got rid of like 6 players in January alone and you can claim that these players may not have contributed much but I'm sure they would have helped with being in Europe next year. You will have to replace those players in the summer to contend with European football whilst also trying to strengthen the first team to compete for the top four. The striker alone is going to take a large chunk out of the budget, and I'd imagine Nketiah will leave now as well as Xhaka, two more players who will need replacing.

I don't see where Arsenal are going to get the resources from to essentially draft in 6-8 players to help them compete at the top end of the table and in Europe. I'd imagine they will bring in 3-5 players and they will struggle massively in the league next year.
There are some kids in their Academy that have high potential.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Does Saliba have to literally win the Ballon D'Or to be in consideration for first choice CB for Arsenal :lol:
Of course not, but if you have an extra dozen games or so it's easier to dish more games out & keep players happy.

Look at how Liverpool have integrated Konaté for instance, him, Matip & Gomez have shared game time over the season.

First we need to see what's happening with him, we might be open to letting him go, he might want to go, especially with it being a World Cup year & he's broke into the squad.

I hope he stays and becomes a mainstay of the team / squad for years to come.

sglowrider

Of course not, but if you have an extra dozen games or so it's easier to dish more games out & keep players happy.

Look at how Liverpool have integrated Konaté for instance, him, Matip & Gomez have shared game time over the season.

First we need to see what's happening with him, we might be open to letting him go, he might want to go, especially with it being a World Cup year & he's broke into the squad.

I hope he stays and becomes a mainstay of the team / squad for years to come.
The way Saliba has been treated by Arteta, I doubt if he will want to stay.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, the age thing is annoying. As though he’s done something nobody has ever done before in taking a squad of such unprecedented youth to the giddy heights of 4th or 5th in the league.

Especially irritating to see it repeatedly trotted out on this website, which is dedicated to a team that did even better in this regard, just over two years ago. And we all know how that ended…

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If there’s anything funnier than Arteta and his awful interviews, it’s the small horde of Arsenal fans on this board, writing long paragraphs and continually moving the goalposts based on each result.

sglowrider

We'll soon see, wouldn't blame him either, especially in World Cup year. If he goes we'd need to sign a replacement.
He knows Arteta doesn't trust him. He wouldn't replace Perma-tan White nor Gabriel -- both signed by Arteta. Makes no sense for him to come back.
Funny thing is that I think Saliba has a much higher ceiling than the two current incumbents. But what do I know, I ain't no mini-Pep.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If there’s anything funnier than Arteta and his awful interviews, it’s the small horde of Arsenal fans on this board, writing long paragraphs and continually moving the goalposts based on each result.
Im glad our teams and fans can keep each others amused. That's how far we've both fallen I suppose, we need to rely on other teams failings for our joy just now.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s brought our standards so deep into the toilet that someone peeing on our feet is now considered an achievement.
To be fair, that started with Wenger, and probably rightly so with the new money coming into the league/football in general and Arsenal being unable to compete with that. You’ve sacked better managers because the fans were not willing to be reasonable about the change in status-quo

mu4c_20le

Just wait until they go on a run again.

Robbie Boy

It's exactly the same as it was when we had Ole.

The Corinthian

To be fair to Ole, he finished 3rd and 2nd and got to a EL final. And our board room and upper management are an absolute shambles.

Arteta has managed 8th and 5th.

Trex

One quality of a good side is the ability to punch above their weight and over achieve. when a manager can get that out of his side I struggle to rate him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

He's certainly right about changing the expectations :lol:

Robbie Boy

This is a United forum.
What are you on about? I responded saying Arsenal fans are posting similar things that were posted about Ole when he was here. Both are/were out of their depth and nowhere near good enough. I have zero fecks what you're rabbiting on about laddo.

AshRK

He's certainly right about changing the expectations :lol:
This is embarrassing. But I don't blame him either, he knows most arsenal fans buy whatever he says. They will call this PC a progress.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
And unless you instantly win things under ETH, you'll likely have the same discussions as to how its going, as that's the only real measure of success.

Robbie Boy

And unless you instantly win things under ETH, you'll likely have the same discussions as to how its going.
Nah, most understand a huge rebuild is required and I think patience will be afforded to ETH. You would have to be deluded to think he's going to win anything anytime soon. Sure, we might get lucky and win a domestic cup, but that's about it. The difference is; ETH looks like he is capable of building something good, whereas with Ole, it was obvious that he was nowhere near good enough. He was still afforded plenty of patience, by virtue of the fact that he lasted 3-years.

Robbie Boy

And finished 2nd. Ole had to go but he atleast gave some results to back his tenure. Arteta has done absolutely nothing.
Yup, Ole was shite but still done better at United, than Arteta has at Arsenal. I think Arteta will get sacked next season tbh.

The Corinthian

What are you on about? I responded saying Arsenal fans are posting similar things that were posted about Ole when he was here. Both are/were out of their depth and nowhere near good enough. I have zero fecks what you're rabbiting on about laddo.
It’s fairly simple. Not sure why you’re struggling to understand.

Ole finished 3rd and 2nd and got to a EL final. You’d expect United fans, on a United board, to write about it at length, and make excuses for any shit performances.

Do you understand that?

Robbie Boy

It’s fairly simple. Not sure why you’re struggling to understand.

Ole finished 3rd and 2nd and got to a EL final. You’d expect United fans, on a United board, to write about it at length, and make excuses for any shit performances.

Do you understand that?
Still no idea what you're on about.

Fans are posting the exact same things about two managers who are/were out of their depth.

No idea why you took such offence to a totally innocuous comment tbh :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
While they exceeded my expectations ( I had them finishing 6th), they've also blown their best chance at qualifying for the Champions League since 2016. This season may also be their best chance qualifying for the Champions League for a long time.

The Corinthian

Still no idea what you're on about.

Fans are posting the exact same things about two managers who are/were out of their depth.

No idea why you took such offence to a totally innocuous comment tbh :lol:
I’m not offended - I’m trying to explain, but I don’t think you’re getting it so never mind.

AshRK

Yup, Ole was shite but still done better at United, than Arteta has at Arsenal. I think Arteta will get sacked next season tbh.
I wouldn't bet on that. Arteta has absolute backing of the board and even if he finishes 7th next season, Arsenal fans and board will call it progress. At least with Ole, united fans (at least most) called him out. With Arteta he is priveleged and not many will call him out unless he takes Arsenal to 15th or 16th.

Robbie Boy

I wouldn't bet on that. Arteta has absolute backing of the board and even if he finishes 7th next season, Arsenal fans and board will call it progress. At least with Ole, united fans (at least most) called him out. With Arteta he is priveleged and not many will call him out unless he takes Arsenal to 15th or 16th.
I certainly wouldn't bet on it, but I see it as a plausible scenario. There's no way they're finishing 4th/5th again next season imo; so unless they possibly win a cup, it will probably be some form of regression.

jackal&hyde

He’s brought our standards so deep into the toilet that someone peeing on our feet is now considered an achievement.
I agree. I will not lie and say that I'm not enjoying it, but Arsenal under Arteta has had a major drop in standards and it is this drop that makes some to look favorable on him. Any big club, from Liverpool (pre Klopp) to even Spurs would have sacked a manager that comes 8th and then 8th and then in the most favorable opportunities of all, misses 4th. Even rookies or half decent managers are usually capable of taking advantage of opportunities, like Ole getting 3ed and 2ed, or Ranieri wining the league.

Arsenal are in big trouble imo. by allowing a poor manager to build a squad that will most likely be not good enough by the standards of a real manager and, they will have to replace players all over again. In the mean time, the quality youngsters at the club are most likely getting offers to leave.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Nah, most understand a huge rebuild is required and I think patience will be afforded to ETH. You would have to be deluded to think he's going to win anything anytime soon. Sure, we might get lucky and win a domestic cup, but that's about it. The difference is; ETH looks like he is capable of building something good, whereas with Ole, it was obvious that he was nowhere near good enough. He was still afforded plenty of patience, by virtue of the fact that he lasted 3-years.
So how much patience do you offer ETH? What is his targets? Must he get top 4 next season?