Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
Incredibly annoying to see an Arsenal thread constantly at the top of the feed.
It’s because @TheReligion is constantly WUM’ing in here. Making outlandish statements, attempting to catch a bite (which of course he will, this is the arsenal thread) and then literally admitting he has no intention of discussing anything.

Completely derailing the thread with obtuse exaggerated posts and a sea of laughing emojis.

Flexdegea

It’s because @TheReligion is constantly WUM’ing in here. Making outlandish statements, attempting to catch a bite (which of course he will, this is the arsenal thread) and then literally admitting he has no intention of discussing anything.

Completely derailing the thread with obtuse exaggerated posts and a sea of laughing emojis.

Sighhhh.........

alexthelion

:lol:

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Spurs will be slightly ahead of Arsenal when the purchase options for Kulusevski and Romero are taken up. United are also artificially low because the Bruno purchase fee isn't included (which certainly occurred after Arteta took the job) and because United likely has more remaining business this summer than any other top six club.

At this point the wage bill is a lot lower than City/United/Chelsea/Liverpool. There are really two groupings at the top of the PL - those four with huge wage bills, then Spurs and Arsenal about 100m lower.

In sum, Arteta started with the 6th best roster among the top six sides, by the end of the summer Arsenal will have spent probably the 4th or 5th most on transfer fees, and spent the 5th most on wages.
Eventually you will realize it is pointless to respond to these posts. Arteta, Edu and Josh are on the same page, fans are behind the management and the club. There is no need to defend anything.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Since Arteta came in, Arsnal have spent the 3rd most among all clubs
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tra...os=&altersklasse=&w_s=&leihe=&intern=0&plus=0
And in terms of Net, Arsenal have spent the highest amount.

Now, I'm not saying that he inherited a WC squad, but if you're spending that amount, surely you'd expect better league finishes, or more criticism than he gets.

And as far as the wages argument is concerned, atleast till 2020, your wage bill was among the highest in Europe, and this is despite you not having been in CL that season.

https://theathletic.com/2717019/202...orld-to-on-a-par-with-ac-milan-and-tottenham/
This is a bit irrelevant to the discussion seeing as we're saying how over the past 2 years we've tried to drastically cut our wage bill.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Do we actually have an Arsenal thread for this season or we just throwing everything into the let's slag Lego Pep thread?

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I honestly don't get all this Arteta-trashing. Far from being a failure or a disaster, I actually think he is on course to building a decent team and his partnership with Edu looks very promising. He won silverware within five months of taking over, something he deserves credit for. Sir Alex is easily the most successful manager ever in British football. But this is how Fergie's career in England started: 1986/7 - finished 11th, no trophy. 1987/8 - finished 2nd, no trophy. 1988/9 - finished 11th, no trophy. 1989/90 - finished 13th, won FA Cup. Arteta is a very young, inexperienced manager with the youngest squad in the league taking on some of the richest clubs and best managers in the toughest league in the world. Personally I think he is showing progress and deserves time for his plan to deliver, which l think he will.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I honestly don't get all this Arteta-trashing. Far from being a failure or a disaster, I actually think he is on course to building a decent team and his partnership with Edu looks very promising. He won silverware within five months of taking over, something he deserves credit for. Sir Alex is easily the most successful manager ever in British football. But this is how Fergie's career in England started: 1986/7 - finished 11th, no trophy. 1987/8 - finished 2nd, no trophy. 1988/9 - finished 11th, no trophy. 1989/90 - finished 13th, won FA Cup. Arteta is a very young, inexperienced manager with the youngest squad in the league taking on some of the richest clubs and best managers in the toughest league in the world. Personally I think he is showing progress and deserves time for his plan to deliver, which l think he will.
People should stop using SAF name randomly to defend every tom, dick and harry.

SAF had successful career before ManUtd too.

Robbie Boy

People should stop using SAF name randomly to defend every tom, dick and harry.

SAF had successful career before ManUtd too.
Seeing the great man's name being used to draw up these weird comparisons with the likes of Ole and Arteta, is sickening tbh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Seeing the great man's name being used to draw up these weird comparisons with the likes of Ole and Arteta, is sickening tbh.
Yeah, SAF achieved a lot before Manutd job, by luck or proper judgement we stood by him and it worked out well. Doesn't mean every manager will achieve that with time, or comes anywhere near that.

Robbie Boy

Yeah, SAF achieved a lot before Manutd job, by luck or proper judgement we stood by him and it worked out well. Doesn't mean every manager will achieve that with time, or comes anywhere near that.
Even ignoring that he had a successful career that pre-dated his appointment at Manchester United; times have totally changed since Fergie was appointed, and managers no longer get the kind of patience that he was afforded.

AshRK

What's this obsession of comparing Arteta's time with SAF. It's like people act his Aberdeen time never existed.

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Yh plus a lot has changed since SAF was about so not sure it's the right comparison to be made.

I'm all for Arteta and have been for a while, but that's mostly as I see him progressing as a manager and I can see what he's trying to do. I want to see how it pans out. Worst comes to worst, we do have a squad which I think a lot of managers wouldn't mind taking over.

Flexdegea

The PR around Arteta is incredible to be fair.

Managed to keep most ex players on broad as well, to the stage coming 5th in the league blowing a commending position to spurs seems to be some sort of success with fans and media alike.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Impossible to watch more than 45 seconds, too boring.
Thankfully there's health insurance because quite clearly some people are just not made for successful Gofundme videos to finance their heart disease treatment.

The guy is a tragedy as a football coach, I pity Arsenal that they decided to be stuck with this uninspiring nobody. They're never going to get anywhere with him.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Thankfully there's health insurance because quite clearly some people are just not made for successful Gofundme videos to finance their heart disease treatment.

The guy is a tragedy as a football coach, I pity Arsenal that they decided to be stuck with this uninspiring nobody.
C'mon Hansi, I thought you'd cut him some slack, he was 1 point off what we deemed an acceptable points target last season.

What about if we do the same this season? I want to reach 75 points, would that seem reasonable to you?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What's this obsession of comparing Arteta's time with SAF. It's like people act his Aberdeen time never existed.
It’s a beyond stupid argument even if you ignore Fergie’s achievements in Scotland.

Because one great manager’s career in England started with a few bad seasons then every other manager who starts badly can also go on to be great. Let’s just ignore the many many multiples more examples of mediocre managers who started badly and never went on to be great and let’s also ignore the many top managers in leagues all over the world who didn’t go through that same slow start when they got their first big job.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It’s a beyond stupid argument even if you ignore Fergie’s achievements in Scotland.

Because one great manager’s career in England started with a few bad seasons then every other manager who starts badly can also go on to be great. Let’s just ignore the many many multiples more examples of mediocre managers who started badly and never went on to be great and let’s also ignore the many top managers in leagues all over the world who didn’t go through that same slow start when they got their first big job.
Agreed. It's even more stupid than the Ole comparisons.

Fridge chutney

The guy is a tragedy as a football coach, I pity Arsenal that they decided to be stuck with this uninspiring nobody. They're never going to get anywhere with him.
:lol: savage

Must have been what people thought about us with Ole

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I mean most people think their rivals managers have massively annoying traits.

For reception amongst Arsenal fans and a few pundits on that video from yesterday was hugely positive.

But most rival fans laugh at it.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Agreed, i don't expect him to get an easy ride with rival fanbases at all! But if he conducts himself in a certain way he may get less criticism. We'll find out soon.
Yep, we will. Ironically, 1 thing he does get criticised for back in Holland it seems is 1 of the things Arteta has been criticised the last few posts, that he's a bit of a personality vacuum. Certainly doesn't strike me as someone delivering rousing speeches. Although if his coaching speaks for itself, no Utd fan will care 1 jot.

I expect this thread to explode when the All or Nothing documentary gets released! :lol:

Fridge chutney

Yep, we will. Ironically, 1 thing he does get criticised for back in Holland it seems is 1 of the things Arteta has been criticised the last few posts, that he's a bit of a personality vacuum. Certainly doesn't strike me as someone delivering rousing speeches. Although if his coaching speaks for itself, no Utd fan will care 1 jot.

I expect this thread to explode when the All or Nothing documentary gets released! :lol:
Haha true on all counts!

Anyway it is clean slate this season for Arteta and ETH, and Arteta especially has had a good summer so it will be an interesting season ahead.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That's absolutely brilliant. Would love to play for a coach like this.

Plus, you know atleast one of the things you will do post retirement - write a book, and that book will be a bestseller because it will feature tons of stories of how much players joked about the manager behind his back, of how uninspiring the manager was and how everyone zoned out 10 seconds into the team talk

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
That's absolutely brilliant. Would love to play for a coach like this.

Plus, you know atleast one of the things you will do post retirement - write a book, and that book will be a bestseller because it will feature tons of stories of how much players joked about the manager behind his back, of how uninspiring the manager was and how everyone zoned out 10 seconds into the team talk
The YouTube comments are embarrassing. I can't believe how deluded Arsenal fans are thinking he is some kind of Messiah, and the level of expectations lowered are mind boggling. The depths them fans in the comments have sunk to is actually ridiculous.

Comments filled with people saying how remarkable his speech was. It was extremely dull and boring, how can players get motivated listening to that?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The players looked so gormless during that speech. Not sure if that’s due to the speech itself or it’s just their faces.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’s doing well. The squad building has been very good, and they’re a well drilled side. The fixture has been kind to them, they’ve got a real chance to keep building momentum and understanding.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They really are Man City lite and the addition of two City players has helped that. I do think what Neville said is right though about a lack of ‘leaders’. They’ve had two games in Palace and today where they’ve had periods where they’ve let the other side into the game. The test will come when they’re losing.