Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Well, I wasn't too far off in my team prediction. 2 differences, Gabriel started instead of Cedric because he had an injury, and Martinelli played because Smith-Rowe is injured (again).

Quite liked the Vieira and Marquinhos performances, both look like they have something to offer the first team at least this season.
Marquinhos needs chances as Saka's deputy. The guy could be another Martinelli.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I coach an U18 team and you're correct somewhat. Here's the thing about your pragmatism. When we're trying to instill a style of play or a system for a team, the worst thing you can do as a coach, is during times of difficulties, ask your players to 'play another way'. Yes, sometimes we may ask certain players to take up different positions or even ask the team to adjust the formation a bit based on the opposition, but the overall process and the system must be the same. If you keep changing because of the opposition, the players would get confused and start distrusting the system you're trying to implement. Trust me on this one bro, I have experience on this one. Pragmatism is good but only to a point where your players aren't being confused and start questioning if you actually know what the hell you're doing.
That's fair enough - but a youth team is obviously a different kettle of fish: I understand that you won't abandon a system you're drilling youngsters in just to grab a few points here and there.

That really isn't comparable to a coach having a "philosophy" he insists upon after working for several years with senior players who compete at the top level (where every point counts, as it were).

Yakuza_devils

Really impressed with his works at Arsenal so far. It's not about getting top 4 or trophy. He has implemented a very exciting attacking style of play at Arsenal. City, Barca and Bayern might be interested if he keeps performing at Arsenal.

Sylar

A game every three / four days until part of November
Really interested to see how he manages through that period

He's defo suited to one game a week and think that has helped the starting line up so far.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
With all the bullying fans give Maguire - it’s quite crazy how many things fans get wrong as well.

Arteta was ridiculed here for ages and is now proving a lot of us wrong.

izec

People don’t give him credit, cause they backed Ole hard over him. He is a good manager. Was clear from the start that he had a plan.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
A completely new team compared to the one he inherited. He’s still learning on the job, I’ll give you that - but he’s implemented a good play style mixed in with likeable characters in the squad.

he’s also facilitated the improvements within the stadium and the crowd to great effect. The fans are more vocal than ever.

however I don’t think he’s great at squad rotation. The queen hitting par for the course has helped massively and was a much needed break as it felt like part of the squad was overplayed. he doesn’t utilise 5 subs either.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm sure they'd have been satisfied with top four this season and they're already 8 points ahead of fourth and playing well.

A lot of the thing ETH will need to do to improve us, Arteta has done for Arsenal.

FriedClams

With all the bullying fans give Maguire - it’s quite crazy how many things fans get wrong as well.

Arteta was ridiculed here for ages and is now proving a lot of us wrong.
do you expect Maguire to prove everyone wrong?

mu4c_20le

Marco Silva has got Fulham flying in 5th place, lookse like people here got that wrong as well as he's a pretty good manager after all.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He's getting by and winning, I think he can at least get top 4 which was probably the goal all along.

I foresee them going off the boil but they may be able to ride this good form train until the world cup which should be enough to secure top 4 barring a big 2023 collapse.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

He's defo suited to one game a week and think that has helped the starting line up so far.
They can get through europa league just playing their B team so can't see the issue. Man. City game also been re-arranged which was due to be middle of October so it's not that bad a run of games, think they'll get something off Liverpool and end their really poor recent run v them.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
They have a very good first XI now with few weaknesses. Barring injuries I'd be surprised if they don't finish top 3.

LARulz

People don’t give him credit, cause they backed Ole hard over him. He is a good manager. Was clear from the start that he had a plan.
It took him 3 years to get to this point with a lack of pressure almost no other manager in the world at a top club would have had. It would also be a lie to say almost anybody outside the club thought he'd be a success after so many dips in form and patchy performances

Yes, it's great what he is doing now but it was never 'obvious' even before this season started

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
A completely new team compared to the one he inherited. He’s still learning on the job, I’ll give you that - but he’s implemented a good play style mixed in with likeable characters in the squad.

he’s also facilitated the improvements within the stadium and the crowd to great effect. The fans are more vocal than ever.

however I don’t think he’s great at squad rotation. The queen hitting par for the course has helped massively and was a much needed break as it felt like part of the squad was overplayed. he doesn’t utilise 5 subs either.
Well he did today, didn’t he? I think the squad depth isn’t quite there yet, I don’t think you would have gotten the same results whilst heavily rotating.

It has to be said the squad is extremely young, Xhaka the only player over 29 out there and everyone else bar Thomas being 25 or younger.

Bodes well for the future. If Arsenal can keep their star players and they age together they should form a great understanding. Already starting to show now and should be expected to get better.

As they don’t need any big changes they can buy some few luxury signings to add experience at the back and in midfield. They seem on a good path.

Now for it to all come crumbling down after Christmas with injuries exposing the bench and Saka letting Lego-Pep know he wants a play for the real Pep after the summer.

Elcabron

That's a good point. One or two injuries to key players and they would suffer.

Credit where it's due though, he has done a great and did well in getting rid of Ozil etc.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Good win, fully expect us to be 4th by the end of the month though. Still too brittle and the best teams will make us pay (Tottenham are a woeful team but their attack being the only thing keeping them afloat nearly did catch us out a few times)

That said, we're playing some really good football and I'm enjoying watching us after years, so can't really complain.

This start should make 4th spot increasingly a non-negotiable.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Happy to beat Spurs, happy with how we're performing, but hopefully there's not too many getting carried away.

We're still prone to rashness and brain farts in defence mainly from Gabriel, we need to cut those out. Still think we are short in a couple if vital areas. Liverpool next league game will be a big test as well, let's see if we've got past our inferiority complex of them, thats another hurdle we need to show we can overcome.

Vapor trail

Good win, fully expect us to be 4th by the end of the month though. Still too brittle and the best teams will make us pay (Tottenham are a woeful team but their attack being the only thing keeping them afloat nearly did catch us out a few times)

That said, we're playing some really good football and I'm enjoying watching us after years, so can't really complain.

This start should make 4th spot increasingly a non-negotiable.
I think it's possible for you to be first by the start of November. No matter what the best way to build is from a foundation, Arsenal have that in their performances. For me performances wise you've been the best team in the league this season. All that's required is consistency.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Game management is still a big issue that needs to be resolved. Time and time again they allowed 2v2 & 3v3 possibilities when they were in front. A better team, or even this Spurs team on a day when they dont screw up EVERY final ball, will expose that in the same way that United did.

Having said that the positives far outweighs the negatives. It was clear last season that something was developing and they've stepped forward again. Absolutely nailed on top four, but for me they'll be exposed by a wily European team, or United, in the Europa.

croadyman

Much as it pains me to admit they look the best in the league consistency wise since 2008

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We're still prone to rashness and brain farts in defence mainly from Gabriel, we need to cut those out. Still think we are short in a couple if vital areas. Liverpool next league game will be a big test as well, let's see if we've got past our inferiority complex of them, thats another hurdle we need to show we can overcome.
Its probably in many ways your biggest test so far for that reason.

I remember when we had a similar hold on you (before ironically Conte fecked it up) that I was so confident of a result in the head to heads even in the Mou meltdown season.

Liverpool aren't that bad but similar to then it's a question of will it go to form or will the recent history of the fixture play a part once more?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Its probably in many ways your biggest test so far for that reason.

I remember when we had a similar hold on you (before ironically Conte fecked it up) that I was so confident of a result in the head to heads even in the Mou meltdown season.

Liverpool aren't that bad but similar to then it's a question of will it go to form or will the recent history of the fixture play a part once more?
Liverpool look weak (by their standards) all over to me, I think Arsenal's pace will create countless chances so key for them is to be clinical. Jota being out would be a boost as he's the sort that seems to have scored a decent amount v Arsenal down the years for Liverpool and Wolves.

JSArsenal

If the league wasn't bought and paid for by a state backed club, I'd start to believe that we're in a title race.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If the league wasn't bought and paid for by a state backed club, I'd start to believe that we're in a title race.
I think you’ll turn us over next week. Martinelli vs Trent is going to be painful to watch for Liverpool fans.

JSArsenal

I think you’ll turn us over next week. Martinelli vs Trent is going to be painful to watch for Liverpool fans.
You forget, you're playing Charity FC, we kickstarted Ten Hag's season. I I imagine we'll do the same for Klopp.

WellBetterThanGiroud

It took him 3 years to get to this point with a lack of pressure almost no other manager in the world at a top club would have had. It would also be a lie to say almost anybody outside the club thought he'd be a success after so many dips in form and patchy performances

Yes, it's great what he is doing now but it was never 'obvious' even before this season started
Whatever you need to tell yourself