Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
There are a bunch of things to say, since you've gone down the inexplicably idiotic and wrong route of playing him, you just pretend like nothing is going on. Saying "what he's been through, as if he's the victim when he's in all likelihood a rapist, is a fecking joke and washing the incident away because he scored a goal
I'm not going to get into the "likelihood" of the truth of the allegations because we don't know enough about the facts.

I have to trust that the club have decided to back him under the guidance of the police. I believe Arsenal know more about the details of the case than we do. At this stage, no charges have been laid. If that changes and he is charged, then may he rot in hell. And I agree, it is appalling if Arsenal have backed him knowing that. But at this stage the police have advised business as usual. I'm not sure how else we as fans are supposed to treat the matter.

And all Arteta said was he's "been through a lot", hardly painting him as a victim. He also spoke about his injuries - Partey has played a bit over 50% of games in his time with us. He has been out injured a lot.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Nothing to see here yet. Too early to draw any conclusions. They’ve only had two fixtures against teams that could rightly test them properly. The rest of their fixtures have been against midtable or relegation fodder. A very kind start to the season. In their two tough games they’ve been comprehensively beaten in one and been the beneficiaries of a red card in another. I’d wager they’ll fold like a cheap deck of cards as the fixture list gets tougher.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Nothing to see here yet. Too early to draw any conclusions. They’ve only had two fixtures against teams that could rightly test them properly. The rest of their fixtures have been against midtable or relegation fodder. A very kind start to the season. In their two tough games they’ve been comprehensively beaten in one and been the beneficiaries of a red card in another. I’d wager they’ll fold like a cheap deck of cards as the fixture list gets tougher.
You must not have watched Arsenal much the last few seasons. We have often done poorly against midtable or relegation teams. This Arsenal, where we're actually beating teams we should be beating and losing/dropping points in games we're expected to (ie United at OT), is in stark contrast to what we've seen in the past few seasons.

I agree it is far too early to draw any real conclusions about top 4 or otherwise, as the season is just going to get harder with WC and Europe. Our squad looks bit thin IMO.

But at this stage, what Mikel has achieved is very positive. He has recruited players that suit his style of play, and has been able to sufficiently motivate and organise them. In short, we actually look like we have a plan/process and I have been "Arteta out" in the past. I am delighted that I look to be wrong about him. I never would have dreamed that we'd be top of the table in October and playing some of the best football we've played in years. I know it can all change quickly (another injury to Partey, for instance) but I'm going to enjoy it for now as it's been a long time coming. So we're going to be insufferable for a little bit longer

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Most of the games are against middle and lower half table teams. There are 38 games in a season, only 10 are played against opposition 'big 6'.

If you beat Brighton and Brentford and lost to Liverpool and Arsenal you would still have the same points total.

Mike Smalling

That's a silly take, in my opinion. Most teams can provide a challenge to the top clubs, even if they are midtable. Arsenal have beaten quite respectable Brentford, Crystal Palace and Fulham sides, that have provided stern tests for other of the supposed top six teams. I do agree that the likes of Bournemouth, Leicester, and Aston Villa don't provide much insight, but after 8 games all teams have played a mix bag of opposition, and Arsenal are on top for a reason.

Obviously, I don't think they will stay there, but they have great momentum right now. Will be interesting to see how they cope with a few difficult results or injuries, but I don't see indication that they are going to fold.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What did he say?
Something about being happy for Partey after what he's been through, and a lot of people are suggesting he's referencing the allegations, which would be, I mean wow if that is true, but I actually think he was just referencing Partey's injury problems last season.

MUFC OK

The reason I think they will run City closest is that they have clearly got confidence and belief going and are beating the teams you'd expect them to beat 9 times out of 10. I think they will compete against the likes of City and Pool but probably lose. So I expect a mixed record in the big games but that's enough for top 3.

They certainly wouldn't have been 4-0 to City yesterday like us, in my opinion.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Something about being happy for Partey after what he's been through, and a lot of people are suggesting he's referencing the allegations, which would be, I mean wow if that is true, but I actually think he was just referencing Partey's injury problems last season.
I'm sure he was talking about his past injuries and his most recent issue while on international duty. The club must have spent weeks being briefed about what to say and how to avoid the other topic. So he'd have to be pretty dumb to drop that in a post game interview.
I still have that 1% hope that there is a lot more to it that the public does not know but in the meantime the situation is a disgusting mess.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not going to get into the "likelihood" of the truth of the allegations because we don't know enough about the facts.

I have to trust that the club have decided to back him under the guidance of the police. I believe Arsenal know more about the details of the case than we do. At this stage, no charges have been laid. If that changes and he is charged, then may he rot in hell. And I agree, it is appalling if Arsenal have backed him knowing that. But at this stage the police have advised business as usual. I'm not sure how else we as fans are supposed to treat the matter.

And all Arteta said was he's "been through a lot", hardly painting him as a victim. He also spoke about his injuries - Partey has played a bit over 50% of games in his time with us. He has been out injured a lot.
The police won’t have given any ‘guidance’ to Arsenal or said ‘business as usuall’.

Not sure where this is from.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Not a tribalistic one. Common sense would be great. Decency too.
This is getting a bit silly over a pretty harmless and tame Arteta comment where he said Parteys been through a lot, then talked about his injuries. He was asked about Partey directly and responded. He didn't mention anything about the legal issues. That's people on here inferring that.

If you're interested my view on the whole ugly affair is this:
We don't know if there is any truth to the allegations. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. But it seems that's an antiquated notion these days and it's "believe all women" no questions asked.

All that aside, the facts are this: he was arrested, released and not charged. The club have obviously been advised by their lawyers that he can keep playing. It's a terrible mess no doubt. Not really sure what else to make of it. Until the other shoe drops, I have to trust the club know what they're doing.

The police won’t have given any ‘guidance’ to Arsenal or said ‘business as usuall’.

Not sure where this is from.
I remember reading something on Twitter admittedly not the best source. But he was allowed to leave the country and join our US tour a few days after being arrested. I think that was where the "business as usual" idea came from.

Last edited:

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
We currently have many players who constantly switch and swap to play multiple positions.

Xhakha: LB/LCM/LAM (I have even seen him play CF in a few instances)
White: RCB/RCM/RWB
Alex: LB/LCM
Jesus/Martinelli: CF/LF

This is beautiful to watch, I am just happy with that and hope we end up in Top 4.

I think this is the last season where top 4 holds any significance. As from 2024 we will have new CL format and England will most likely get 6 slots.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think this is the last season where top 4 holds any significance. As from 2024 we will have new CL format and England will most likely get 6 slots.
It will be five slots. There are two extra CL positions to be handed out to the associations with the best performance in the prior year but it has to go to two different associations.

Newcastle will eventually improve so it will likely be seven sides fighting for five slots instead of six fighting for four positions.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is getting a bit silly over a pretty harmless and tame Arteta comment where he said Parteys been through a lot, then talked about his injuries. He was asked about Partey directly and responded. He didn't mention anything about the legal issues. That's people on here inferring that.

If you're interested my view on the whole ugly affair is this:
We don't know if there is any truth to the allegations. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. But it seems that's an antiquated notion these days and it's "believe all women" no questions asked.

All that aside, the facts are this: he was arrested, released and not charged. The club have obviously been advised by their lawyers that he can keep playing. It's a terrible mess no doubt. Not really sure what else to make of it. Until the other shoe drops, I have to trust the club know what they're doing.
I'll never understand people who use this phrase in connection to allegations of sexual assault. It's something that's incredibly difficult to prove so most people who do commit sexual assault won't be found guilty. You do see that, right?

The believe all women comment is odd too. Three separate allegations is pretty fecking suspect, no?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It will be five slots. There are two extra CL positions to be handed out to the associations with the best performance in the prior year but it has to go to two different associations.

Newcastle will eventually improve so it will likely be seven sides fighting for five slots instead of six fighting for four positions.
Don't be surprised club owners will invest in teams to be just good enough to qualify for CL. It is just a business.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You must not have watched Arsenal much the last few seasons. We have often done poorly against midtable or relegation teams. This Arsenal, where we're actually beating teams we should be beating and losing/dropping points in games we're expected to (ie United at OT), is in stark contrast to what we've seen in the past few seasons.

I agree it is far too early to draw any real conclusions about top 4 or otherwise, as the season is just going to get harder with WC and Europe. Our squad looks bit thin IMO.

But at this stage, what Mikel has achieved is very positive. He has recruited players that suit his style of play, and has been able to sufficiently motivate and organise them. In short, we actually look like we have a plan/process and I have been "Arteta out" in the past. I am delighted that I look to be wrong about him. I never would have dreamed that we'd be top of the table in October and playing some of the best football we've played in years. I know it can all change quickly (another injury to Partey, for instance) but I'm going to enjoy it for now as it's been a long time coming. So we're going to be insufferable for a little bit longer
Most of the games are against middle and lower half table teams. There are 38 games in a season, only 10 are played against opposition 'big 6'.

If you beat Brighton and Brentford and lost to Liverpool and Arsenal you would still have the same points total.
That's a silly take, in my opinion. Most teams can provide a challenge to the top clubs, even if they are midtable. Arsenal have beaten quite respectable Brentford, Crystal Palace and Fulham sides, that have provided stern tests for other of the supposed top six teams. I do agree that the likes of Bournemouth, Leicester, and Aston Villa don't provide much insight, but after 8 games all teams have played a mix bag of opposition, and Arsenal are on top for a reason.

Obviously, I don't think they will stay there, but they have great momentum right now. Will be interesting to see how they cope with a few difficult results or injuries, but I don't see indication that they are going to fold.
I don’t see how any of that disproves what I am saying. No one is saying they aren’t playing well, or in a good position right now, 8 games in. It’s just some simple context that they’ve had a very favourable schedule, and when they have truly been tested - like against a struggle United - they’ve been comprehensively beaten. My post was a much needed counter to the hyperbole surrounding their start to the season. Finally, my comment about the probability of them folding, was based on their lack of quality in squad depth - especially in a season with such a crazy and compressed schedule - and very recent history. Such as how they finished last season. So hardly outrageous or egregious.

They’ve started well, but it’s hard to say much more than that at this stage.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I'll never understand people who use this phrase in connection to allegations of sexual assault. It's something that's incredibly difficult to prove so most people who do commit sexual assault won't be found guilty. You do see that, right?

The believe all women comment is odd too. Three separate allegations is pretty fecking suspect, no?
2 allegations are from one girlfriend who was having lots of consensual sex with him while being his partner at the time of the events. 1 of those allegations was when both parties was drunk where he'd come to proposition her and basically decided to be sexual with her in the night. Which was in par with their prior activity. It's a grey area as he technically didn't ask for consent, while she also didn't say 'no'. But it's not something most reasonable girlfriends are going to try and prosecute their boyfriends for either. The other incident with the girlfriend, she herself didn't conside rape until the police told her it was. The same girlfriend also backs Amber Heard over Johnny Depp. So that would indicate her judgement isn't very sound and that she is probably a narcissist herself. She was also upset with him for cheating on her with other women and had motivation to want to get revenge on him for this.

The other case we know nothing about.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I don’t see how any of that disproves what I am saying. No one is saying they aren’t playing well, or in a good position right now, 8 games in. It’s just some simple context that they’ve had a very favourable schedule, and when they have truly been tested - like against a struggle United - they’ve been comprehensively beaten. My post was a much needed counter to the hyperbole surrounding their start to the season. Finally, my comment about the probability of them folding, was based on their lack of quality in squad depth - especially in a season with such a crazy and compressed schedule - and very recent history. Such as how they finished last season. So hardly outrageous or egregious.

They’ve started well, but it’s hard to say much more than that at this stage.
We weren't comprehensibly beaten by United though. Expected goals were pretty much equal and we dominated possession. You were clinical, we weren't. Which is fair enough and Good Game.

As for it being a favourable schedule. Well it is somewhat. But we lost 2 of those same fixtures last season to Palace and Brentford both away games. We're exactly (hard to measure against promoted teams verus relegated) at least 6 points better than last season over the games this season.

I do agree our squad depth is questionable, but mostly so at DM. If Partey stays fit until the world cup, we're pretty solid until then and if we buy a DM in January our squad looks massively better.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal's schedule so far seems pretty average. We've played 2/8 against top six sides and you play those games 10/38 over the course of the season so pretty much right on par. The non-top six sides we've faced have been the typical mixed bag. Overall we've played sides that are currently sitting 3, 6, 8, 10, 13, 14, 17, 20 in the table. It certainly hasn't been a difficult slate but it doesn't seem exceptionally easy either.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

as another poster has said, two of the women were girlfriends of his, and the other we don’t know about. It is very messy and as you say difficult to prove without strong evidence. This stuff is already hard to prove at the best of times, even more so when the parties involved were in relationships and holidaying together etc.

I don’t believe or not believe the allegations. I’m a mental health nurse and have seen it all, so I’ve learned that you don’t know what’s going on most of the time. I have learned to reserve judgement until we get more information. If you’re happy to judge Partey a rapist, that’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Perhaps in the court of public opinion (or at least on Redcafe), he's already guilty. That is fair enough and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. But in the real world, the burden of proof is on his accusers. That’s the law.
Should we have suspended him pending the investigation? Sure, that also would have been reasonable. But the club have decided to play him and I have to trust their judgement on the matter. I'm sure they consulted the best lawyers money can buy.

Reactions: Carolina Red

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Credit where it's due - he's finally starting to look a bit like the manager his media buddies have praying he'd turn into.

They started the season with a very flat track, but this and the Spurs game are making them harder to dismiss now. I still feel as though their depth beyond the first XI will likely feck them over as this schedule plays out, though.

BerryBerryShrew

If a very injury prone Thomas Partey does the unthinkable and picks up an injury then they may well crumble.

Idxomer

If they can keep this level after the World Cup, they'll definitely be contenders for the title.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
If a very injury prone Thomas Partey does the unthinkable and picks up an injury then they may well crumble.
You’re not wrong. We’re likely to pick up Luiz in Jan, but there’s a lot of football to be played before then.

leontas

They’ve had an incredibly favourable run of fixtures to start with but credit where it’s due they’ve come out of their first tests with 2 back to back wins (again slightly favourable given they were at home). I still think they have a very thin squad. Happy we beat this lot though.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Not buying one or 2 players to cover in CM in January would be a crime against humanity. Danilo/Luiz or somebody else but it is mandatory.

demetre

Him standing 5 centimeters from the touch line even when a player is running for the ball in that area is so annoying.

wr8_utd

:'(
They’ve had an incredibly favourable run of fixtures to start with but credit where it’s due they’ve come out of their first tests with 2 back to back wins (again slightly favourable given they were at home). I still think they have a very thin squad. Happy we beat this lot though.
They always beat Spurs at home and this Liverpool side is even below Bournemouth so you honestly did expect them to win these two matches.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Very lucky today with the refs but fair play, Arsenal have been both very entertaining to watch and they’re winning games every week. The hype around them so far is pretty justified.