Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Holocene

Your reserve side getting soundly beat by a strong Man City is not a reason to get sacked.

If they get less than 3 points in their next two games, he's done for.
I think he'll get the sack after losing to your lot on Boxing day. Next games would be: Brighton, West Brom, Newcastle and Palace. Winnable games for the new manager.

tomaldinho1

What a coach this guy is. If he is fired, I hope they hire that other generational coach Bielsa. ( l got devoured by some consensus monkeys on here for calling him an idiot after Sunday’s Leeds surrender)
I don't get why I keep seeing this kind of post. Is it because people were saying he'd started well or something?

In fairness tonight he's clearly aware that he will be sacked if he doesn't pick up PL points and didn't put out a great team.

ArjenIsM3

He’s gotta go. But worrying thing for Arsenal is I don’t think there’s any manager out there who can sort the current mess the club is in. Combined with the fact that they barely have any money to spend, I can’t see what they’re going to do
They should just disband the club.

Holocene

I don't get why I keep seeing this kind of post. Is it because people were saying he'd started well or something?

In fairness tonight he's clearly aware that he will be sacked if he doesn't pick up PL points and didn't put out a great team.
There's a lot of really insecure posters on here about managers. It's strange. They don't like it when other managers get complimented and they call them hipster managers. See the Nagelsmann or Rose threads.

VivaRonaldo85

He actually started out well too. Looking back, that must have been a case of ‘new manager bounce syndrome’.

I tell you who would be an unbelievable appointment for them if they could somehow get him.... Brendan Rodgers would turn that club on its head and for the better. Not sure how they prize him away from Leicester at the moment mind.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Its the natural aggression of the Meath man.

dbs235

He actually started out well too. Looking back, that must have been a case of ‘new manager bounce syndrome’.

I tell you who would be an unbelievable appointment for them if they could somehow get him.... Brendan Rodgers would turn that club on its head and for the better. Not sure how they prize him away from Leicester at the moment mind.
He didn't though. Won 2 of his first 8 league games (at home to us and Newcastle). Put 10 men behind the ball to win the FA Cup. It was never sustainable.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'm not upset at the result. I'm not even that upset at the performance. I'm not upset that he obviously decided to bin the cup.

What I don't get, is mental team decisions? Why play Mustafi? Why play players who are on their way out? Why not play the young players? Why does it seem like he wants to self sabotage? I put a post on a few days back, given what I wanted to see from Arteta going forward. He just did the total opposite of that. That was just a waste of a team selection.

AshRK

On the contrary, the man clearly has a plan. It just isn't working. Which is really hard when you're the kind of coach who really depends on the plan. He now either has to stick with the plan in the hope it will somehow begin to work, or go off the plan to fix things in the short term.
I keep on hearing the man has got plan. What are those plans? The only good change I saw was that they defended better under him than wenger in his latter years but even that now is debatable. Their attack is non existent. The guy's selection is bizarre. Where is the plan?

Andi Latte

That's just what you get with these amateur managers most of the time. Though I have to admit, when the flurry of ex-players with no considerable pedigree (OGS, Arteta, Lampard) in managerial positions first occurred, my money was on Lampard to be the most ridiculous of the bunch, maybe because of the media love-in around Arteta.

Realistically though, just look at Arsenal's squad, it's just a shambles, really. Give Ole that squad and he faces relegation as well, as does Frank. Give Arteta Man Utd + about 250m and I could see him be in the run for Top 4. True, Arteta's man management did him no favours but i struggle to see the manager who would realistically do better than him with this bunch of midtable players and a misfiring top striker. Klopp maybe. Pep? No way, as he wouldn't even join them with that squad.

Arteta brings pretty much the same problems we are facing with Ole, he tries to emulate Pep (+ maybe Wenger and *shudder* Moyes?) while being nowhere near ability-wise, same as Ole with SAF. And of course they do, as they have little experience on this level themselves, they need someone they worked with for orientation. It just doesn't work like that. From that point of view, maybe Frank has the potential to be the best of the bunch after all, as he had soo many top managers to learn from, with different strenghts and weaknesses.

Make no mistake, the main differential between Arteta, Ole and Lampard are their respective squads, so don't laugh too loud at Arsenal, it could happen to us as well ;)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

He didn't. He only won once in his first 8 league games last season. Can't believe that was the game against us.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
That's just what you get with these amateur managers most of the time. Though I have to admit, when the flurry of ex-players with no considerable pedigree (OGS, Arteta, Lampard) in managerial positions first occurred, my money was on Lampard to be the most ridiculous of the bunch, maybe because of the media love-in around Arteta.

Realistically though, just look at Arsenal's squad, it's just a shambles, really. Give Ole that squad and he faces relegation as well, as does Frank. Give Arteta Man Utd + about 250m and I could see him be in the run for Top 4. True, Arteta's man management did him no favours but i struggle to see the manager who would realistically do better than him with this bunch of midtable players and a misfiring top striker. Klopp maybe. Pep? No way, as he wouldn't even join them with that squad.

Arteta brings pretty much the same problems we are facing with Ole, he tries to emulate Pep (+ maybe Wenger and *shudder* Moyes?) while being nowhere near ability-wise, same as Ole with SAF. And of course they do, as they have little experience on this level themselves, they need someone they worked with for orientation. It just doesn't work like that. From that point of view, maybe Frank has the potential to be the best of the bunch after all, as he had soo many top managers to learn from, with different strenghts and weaknesses.

Make no mistake, the main differential between Arteta, Ole and Lampard are their respective squads, so don't laugh too loud at Arsenal, it could happen to us as well ;)
Arteta should be doing alot better with the players he has. Their spending last 3 seasons is not far always from Uniteds tbf.
Sounds like he managing Burnley when he actually isn’t. Ole would do much better with those players. Not sure about Lampard though.

edcunited1878

It was a false positive. Having a flat 343 and encouraging teams to press you, but then fluke your way out of a press (which was effective in their FA Cup run) wasn't going to work once teams adjusted to them.

Teams figured out that they didn't have to press their midfield so hard, force the play wide with the space behind you covered, and play balls between the lines and their two central mids and make their defense turn from runs in behind...they've been fecked ever since. Going forward, they have a massive hold where there should be a false 9 or CAM, but they persist with two CMs who have a low starting level. PEA got his contract and has zero fire.

We know that they don't have that many good players across the pitch, but they shouldn't be this bad nor should they be so impotent up front. Their 'high danger' chance creation has to be really low.

Saka, Martinelli, PEA, Lacazette should occupy their main attacking positions, but he refuses to bench Pepe or Willian. Understand Martinelli has been injured, but don't play Saka as a LWB or LM.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bless him, it must be like trying to to cram for an exam every week, having to remember what the feck Pep wrote on the white board while he was fetching coffee.

Tapori

Where to begin. This wrong on so many levels.

Arteta had never managed a single club
Lampard and Ole had at least taken the reigns at a professional football club. Ole having done so at 2, 1 in a different country, and been in Europe.

Arteta has literally isolated and sold players that were not for him but would have been better in part.

Andi Latte

Arteta should be doing alot better with the players he has. Their spending last 3 seasons is not far always from Uniteds tbf.
Sounds like he managing Burnley when he actually isn’t. Ole would do much better with those players. Not sure about Lampard though.
Yeah, he should, that's why I said his man management didn't do him any favours. And of course the "midtable team" was maybe a bit of hyperbole.

Still, do you see that squad anywhere near Top 6? I mean, look at that defense, it's laughable. He managed to stabilize it for a while with the addition of Partey, but that still wasn't enough. You'd need prime Kanté there. Burnleys defense is probably better actually.

And don't get me started on their "attack". All their recent additions are overpriced and not very good, no creative presence whatsoever and Auba got his paycheck, so he doesn't need to perform anymore.

Burnleys squad is shit, but at least it's somewhat balanced, Arsenal's isn't, which of course is Emery's fault as well.

Weird, as I write this, I get flashbacks from the start of Ole's first full season. Just switch a few names around, like Emery = Mourinho, Auba = Martial etc. Makes you think, eh?

Last edited:

Andi Latte

Where to begin. This wrong on so many levels.

Arteta had never managed a single club
Lampard and Ole had at least taken the reigns at a professional football club. Ole having done so at 2, 1 in a different country, and been in Europe.
That's why I wrote "on this level" I think, the level being closer to, let's say City and Liverpool than to PL-Relegation and Norwegian Football.

Arteta has literally isolated and sold players that were not for him but would have been better in part.
Like Lukaku, Fellaini? Oh, I forget, those are donkeys. Whereas Conte, who actually won the PL, seems to rate Lukaku...

That's why I wrote "on this level" I think, the level being closer to, let's say City and Liverpool than to PL-Relegation and Norwegian Football.

Like Lukaku, Fellaini? Oh, I forget, those are donkeys. Whereas Conte, who actually won the PL, seems to rate Lukaku...
and yet Conte has won sweet FA with Lukaku.

Fergie rated Phil Jones. Even the best get it wrong, and Conte isint fit to lace SAFs boots.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Yeah, he should, that's why I said his man management didn't do him any favours. And of course the "midtable team" was maybe a bit of hyperbole.

Still, do you see that squad anywhere near Top 6? I mean, look at that defense, it's laughable. He managed to stabilize it for a while with the addition of Partey, but that still wasn't enough. You'd need prime Kanté there. Burnleys defense is probably better actually.

And don't get me started on their "attack". All their recent additions are overpriced and not very good, no creative presence whatsoever and Auba got his paycheck, so he doesn't need to perform anymore.

Burnleys squad is shit, but at least it's somewhat balanced, Arsenal's isn't, which of course is Emery's fault as well.

Weird, as I write this i get flashbacks from the start of Ole's first season. Just switch a few names around, like Emery = Mourinho, Auba = Martial etc.
I agree with most of it. Their defence have been shambles for years now. Can’t remember last time they had a decent back 5 actually. And every summer I thinking to myself ”surely their new manager will prioritize the defence”. But no, they splash another £150 Mill on shit.

Like Özil wasnt enough. They had to be stuck with past it Willian and 30+ Auba for a good 3 years.
They remind me of United before Ole in some way but with a shittier manager.

Players now go there to get a big paycheck. Not because they actually wants to play for the club.
The likes of Luiz, Willian, Özil, Auba, Partey.

I was sceptic about your post because it sounded like you defended Arteta and that no manager would do better with that team. Because lets be true. They have players to fight for a top 5-7 spot at least imo. Arteta’s lost the dressing room. Some players don’t even speak with him anymore. It’s time to move on. Lets hope they dont bring in a good manager like Ancelotti or Poch.

Tapori

Wouldn't have guessed based on your post.

I still contend that Arteta is not as experienced as the other 2.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Is the board seriously considering giving him the January transwer window?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

On paper Arteta has a better first Xl than the one Lampard had last season (when he finished 4th).

Giggsy13

The level of hate thrown at Ole is unreal. Arteta is just a Spanish Big Sam. They were decent enough and defensively organized in cup games but are now getting found out. Arteta is absolute shite and the Ole outers who used Arteta to beat down Ole are looking mighty stupid now with no leg to stand on.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yup
backtracking now

The fact Delaney is chief anything, anywhere is concerning more concerning if it relates to football. Lucky for us, one of these days instead of human centiping Klopp he'll climb all the way into his arse and never be heard of again for the good of the game.

Andi Latte

I agree with most of it. Their defence have be
I was sceptic about your post because it sounded like you defended Arteta and that no manager would do better with that team. Because lets be true. They have players to fight for a top 5-7 spot at least imo. Arteta’s lost the dressing room. Some players don’t even speak with him anymore. It’s time to move on. Lets hope they dont bring in a good manager like Ancelotti or Poch.
My aim was primarily to point out that the likes of Ole and Arteta (and Lampard to a lesser extent, although Chelsea are such an anomaly of a club) are not all that different.

Just look at this thread the last fews days and compare it to one of the several Ole out threads from this time last year. The points are largely the same:

"He doesn't have a plan". "His selections are ridiculous". "I can't believe he gets a January window". "They could actually be relegated". "He should be doing a lot better with the players he has". Opposition fans hoping he stays on longer, as he is so shit. His transfers are overpriced mediocre players (Maguire, AWB anyone?). "He didn't fix the defense which was shit for years" vs "why still no RW???". "He's only there because he was Pep's assistant" vs. ".... club legend".

It's the same really, and with Ole it is still going on, even though we stabilized somewhat.

We know what came next, Ole got lucky with Fernandes and his fortunes changed somewhat. Maybe Arteta gets lucky as well, maybe they sign Aouar (was it Aouar?) and he has a huge impact, who knows. Or think about where Ole would be now if he hadn't got Fernandes.

Of course, Arteta lost the dressing room and United had the better squad to begin with etc, that's all true but those are man management issues and, in regards to the squad, really just luck. In terms of actual managerial ability (tactics, line ups, ingame management etc) I don't see that much difference between the two.

Call it defending Arteta, call it slacking off Ole, it's open to interpretation really. That's why I said people should be careful with laughing at Arsenal, as we were not that far away from being where they are now. And we still aren't completely safe in that regard imo. We're just still in a better state as a club than Arsenal is.

Halftrack

Yup
backtracking now

Not so much backtracking as making excuses. He doesn't say he was wrong about Arteta or that he's changed his mind, nor that Arteta clearly isn't good enough. Just that he's failed to get the players to fight for him the way ours have fought for Ole, and that he doesn't have the experience to fall back on. Delaney's doing everything he can to deflect as much blame as possible away from Arteta.

It's also shocking that a chief football writer for a major publication would actually say that no serious football person respects Ole. That's just such an insanely unprofessional thing to say.

sport2793

My aim was primarily to point out that the likes of Ole and Arteta (and Lampard to a lesser extent, although Chelsea are such an anomaly of a club) are not all that different.

Just look at this thread the last fews days and compare it to one of the several Ole out threads from this time last year. The points are largely the same:

"He doesn't have a plan". "His selections are ridiculous". "I can't believe he gets a January window". "They could actually be relegated". "He should be doing a lot better with the players he has". Opposition fans hoping he stays on longer, as he is so shit. His transfers are overpriced mediocre players (Maguire, AWB anyone?). "He didn't fix the defense which was shit for years" vs "why still no RW???". "He's only there because he was Pep's assistant" vs. ".... club legend".

It's the same really, and with Ole it is still going on, even though we stabilized somewhat.

We know what came next, Ole got lucky with Fernandes and his fortunes changed somewhat. Maybe Arteta gets lucky as well, maybe they sign Aouar (was it Aouar?) and he has a huge impact, who knows. Or think about where Ole would be now if he hadn't got Fernandes.

Of course, Arteta lost the dressing room and United had the better squad to begin with etc, that's all true but those are man management issues and, in regards to the squad, really just luck. In terms of actual managerial ability (tactics, line ups, ingame management etc) I don't see that much difference between the two.

Call it defending Arteta, call it slacking off Ole, it's open to interpretation really. That's why I said people should be careful with laughing at Arsenal, as we were not that far away from being where they are now. And we still aren't completely safe in that regard imo. We're just still in a better state as a club than Arsenal is.
I don't know, reading your post actually makes me doubt your intelligence rather than those laughing at Arsenal.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Arsenal almost certainly won't go down, but player for player is their current team really that much stronger than say, Leeds in 2004 or Newcastle in 2009 who did?
Their squad is miles better to be honest. Leeds had a few names left over from their CL days but most were either crocks/finished (Radebe, Batty) or lazy fair weather players (Viduka). Their best player was Alan Smith, an overrated passion merchant who was loved more for being a local lad than his talent.

Newcastle’s squad was similar. Some big names but most were miles past their best.