Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Yagami

Good post resistant
He needs to bring Jessie "the vibes" Lingard to Arsenal. Maybe those silly light blue dance floor hoodies can be their pre-match entrance attire.
The Emirates is his dance floor after all

dbs235

So how much patience do you offer ETH? What is his targets? Must he get top 4 next season?
Be a huge disapointment if he didn't. And he certainly wouldn't survive finishing 8th twice. Possibly not even once.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So how much patience do you offer ETH? What is his targets? Must he get top 4 next season?
If I was a United fan I'd be expecting him to replace all the shit in the starting lineup (United generate enough to do that in one window) and be at the minimum in the top four comfortably.

I think English fans in general give their managers easy rides (the average Chelsea fan was just as bad with Frank and even AVB, likewise Liverpool fans with Kenny/Brendan) it's just unfortune for you guys and United that you have parasite owners willing to exploit that.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
If I was a United fan I'd be expecting him to replace all the shit in the starting lineup (United generate enough to do that in one window) and be at the minimum in the top four comfortably.

I think English fans in general give their managers easy rides (the average Chelsea fan was just as bad with Frank and even AVB, likewise Liverpool fans with Kenny/Brendan) it's just unfortune for you guys and United that you have parasite owners willing to exploit that.
The patience with manager myth was invented by Fergie/Wenger era journos. And chelsea was ruthless with managers under roman they came up with this idea by giving time to managers will be good.

But you can give time to pep/klopp like managers because they proved themselves they have the ability to turn things around before their current jobs. But not rookie managers like Lampard,ole,arteta. They certainly not proven before. And pl is not the place to try things at top level.

BlueHaze

Can't stand the guy and his embarrassing antics the way he constantly makes gestures to roar the crowd and his incredbly annoying way of running around on the sidelines clapping his hands like a toddler. The way they celebrated after beating us recently as if they had just won the CL. I'm glad he will most likely have failed massively come tommorrow.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The patience with manager myth was invented by Fergie/Wenger era journos. And chelsea was ruthless with managers under roman they came up with this idea by giving time to managers will be good.

But you can give time to pep/klopp like managers because they proved themselves they have the ability to turn things around before their current jobs. But not rookie managers like Lampard,ole,arteta. They certainly not proven before. And pl is not the place to try things at top level.
Your getting to my point. Ole isn't rated on here, Arteta isn't rated on here, fair enough.
Arteta hasn't matched Emerys points total yet for Arsenal, we keep being reminded of that.
So, by the same token, ETH to needs to better Ole's Champions league quarter final, Europa League final and 3rd and 2nd place finishes?
But if by a couple of seasons he's not done that, then give him longer purely because he's got a bit of a track record at Ajax?

Flexdegea

He's certainly right about changing the expectations :lol:

Always feel when a manager is speaking like this a lot, trying to make out theyve improved the club, brought a mentality, Vibe back, deflecting from the fact they are massively underwhelming, and also doing s disservice to the fact they are a massive club,.......it's the end days.

He's talked some crap this last couple days.

Actually impressive the mind spell he done on the ex players and the media. Bizarre actually when I compare to how we get treated from media etc and how even most our own fans hold the club to the high standards, either you are winning big prizes or you are gone as wee seen with Ole in the end. Least he hit the league targets, arteta been woeful for 3 seasons now in the league outside of the FA cup win, but would give their ex striker most that credit.

Flexdegea

Your getting to my point. Ole isn't rated on here, Arteta isn't rated on here, fair enough.
Arteta hasn't matched Emerys points total yet for Arsenal, we keep being reminded of that.
So, by the same token, ETH to needs to better Ole's Champions league quarter final, Europa League final and 3rd and 2nd place finishes?
But if by a couple of seasons he's not done that, then give him longer purely because he's got a bit of a track record at Ajax?

Yes, Hag will need to get in the high places, and win trophies or he's done too, it's that simple.

That not my benchmark straight away, but I know for a fact he needs to be ticking these boxes and giving is a league challenge inside 2 maybe 3 seasons or most the fans won't be happy about it.

He won't get no help from the media either.

To be honest yous get it good. You even got fans like yourself Happy enough with arteta who's been average to shite in my opinion.

Irwin99

While they exceeded my expectations ( I had them finishing 6th), they've also blown their best chance at qualifying for the Champions League since 2016. This season may also be their best chance qualifying for the Champions League for a long time.
I think so too. It's hard to know what to think Arsenal's expectations should be nowadays and how they go about getting better. The fans want consistent top 4 finishes and title challenges/ trophies when they're up against City, Liverpool, and to a lesser extent, Chelsea, and they also have to compete with Spurs, United and now the 'new oil club on the block' Newcastle. You'd need a truly outstanding manager/infrastructure to compete against all that. As a club I just don't see them competing.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think so too. It's hard to know what to think Arsenal's expectations should be nowadays and how they go about getting better. The fans want consistent top 4 finishes and title challenges/ trophies when they're up against City, Liverpool, and to a lesser extent, Chelsea, and they also have to compete with Spurs, United and now the 'new oil club on the block' Newcastle. You'd need a truly outstanding manager/infrastructure to compete against all that. As a club I just don't see them competing.
You also have to take into account someone else like a Wolves or West Ham flirting with a top four finish as well.

They have exceeded my expectations for them (I didn’t think they’d get top six I don’t think) but this was a big opportunity missed. Just one win against someone like Brighton or Southampton would’ve made all the difference. They did the hard work beating Chelsea, United and West Ham.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
But you can give time to pep/klopp like managers because they proved themselves they have the ability to turn things around before their current jobs.
Klopp and Guardiola didn't even really that much time. Klopp got them 4th/CL qualification in his first full season. Then upon returning to the CL, got them to the final in his first try. Guardiola finished 3rd in his first season (10 points higher than the previous one) and the next season won the PL with 100 points.

Tavern in the town

Klopp and Guardiola didn't even really that much time. Klopp got them 4th/CL qualification in his first full season. Then upon returning to the CL, got them to the final in his first try. Guardiola finished 3rd in his first season (10 points higher than the previous one) and the next season won the PL with 100 points.
This. It annoys me so much when people point to Klopp at Liverpool as a model of how managers need time. Their progress was quick and linear.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yes they did indeed needed time to bring in better players to play the way they wanted to play in many positions. But till that they improved their teams,irrespective of signings.

Conte and tuchel too did improve their teams and they knew what they have to do even before took their respective jobs. Tuchel now earned that trust from board to fans because what he did in his half season took over the team from 9 th place to finish in top 4 and also won cl.

So why I am not a fan of managers need time myth. Yes they needed time but only through merit and how they performed at their new job. Klopp and pep did take time though they did great in their previous jobs,they are improving the team immediately when they took over.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Exactly visible improvement in style and improving individual playing staffs is must for any one.We should not ask for any manager to come and fight toe to toe with pep and klopp for title. Eth not exception either. He need to improve playing style of man utd and players should know their role and shouldnt look like clueless.I wont question arteta if it was his first year. He had enough time to make things work.

Problem is now newcastle united came to party and want to fight for top in this pl food chain.Managers wont get breathing space.If you excusing arteta now then what will you say next season.With punishing europa league on the horizon if you failed it will damage further for your lot to get into top 4 with emerging newcastle united.

crossy1686

career ending
This. It annoys me so much when people point to Klopp at Liverpool as a model of how managers need time. Their progress was quick and linear.
Forget the time, they were backed and allowed to overhaul the whole squad within two seasons. You either let a manager do that in his first summer or you give him 4 years to do that. Giving time and being backed are the same thing.

Fridge chutney

You just going through all the rival threads to deflect from another defeat sir?

Good tactic. :devil:
We had our worst season in 30 years and you had your best season of the past 4, and we still both qualified for Europa League! Our loss today was inconsequential, as was your win.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
We had our worst season in 30 years and you had your best season of the past 4, and we still both qualified for Europa League! Our loss today was inconsequential, as was your win.
Thanks for the summary FC, didn't realise any of this!

Nothing to do with what I posted though eh? ;)

Fridge chutney

Thanks for the summary FC, didn't realise any of this!

Nothing to do with what I posted though eh? ;)
It was banter, which is what i assume the purpose of your post was!

To be fair, this season has ranged from hell to purgatory for United fans so we are just happy that worst case scenario didn't happen today. Plus, it is kinda fun to laugh at Arteta too.

BorisManUtd

I'd say finishing 5th with 69 points is solid for them, but finishing 5th after being 4th with 4 points more than Spurs with 3 games to go is a failure. They won't be too happy with the season but it's good enough for Arteta to continue.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feel sorry for them really, a club like Arsenal shouldn’t spend so long out the Champions League. That said it is very funny.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It was banter, which is what i assume the purpose of your post was!

To be fair, this season has ranged from hell to purgatory for United fans so we are just happy that worst case scenario didn't happen today. Plus, it is kinda fun to laugh at Arteta too.
Ach, we're fair game for it as well I suppose. Wish both clubs could be bantering up at the top of the league again rather than 5th & 6th. :(

AlexanderTheGreat29

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's incredible how so many people believe in Arteta. The copium from many Arsenal fans is just too much , i don't know how they can do it.

The very competition they've been trying to escape was now their goal. 6 seasons outside of the Champions league. How can they just accept this? Trusting such a crucial sporting project to an inexperienced manager. The club's standarts were truly lowered

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Speaking with Arsenal-fans online, and it seems to me that many of them really has bought into this mindset that Arteta is transforming Arsenal and whatnot, so the results can be excused etc.

Incredible how he managed to get the fanbase into buying his "stuff", while delivering "meh" football and results, but creds to him for the former.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Their goal difference is zero, and West Ham have scored 10 more goals than them. You made me follow this thread and laugh at you at end of the season when Arsenal finish around 8th position.
Well, I couldn’t gloat at you more because if they finished fourth, you would have had to be my squire for the rest of the tenure on caf. Regardless, they had a much better season and you were completely wrong and I was completely right. I know more people taught the same as you, so you are not alone. I don’t have time to look for their names…I might still do that though…I just ask that you and the other to be humble and expand my name throughout the forum.

Arteta did an amazing job this season. Credit should be given where credit is due. You can laugh at me for being right again.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well, I couldn’t gloat at you more because if they finished fourth, you would have had to be my squire for the rest of the tenure on caf. Regardless, they had a much better season and you were completely wrong and I was completely right. I know more people taught the same as you, so you are not alone. I just ask that you be humble and expand my name throughout the forum.

Arteta did an amazing job this season. Credit should be given where credit is due. You can laugh at me for being right again.
My god you’re a piece of work, aren’t you?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Well, I couldn’t gloat at you more because if they finished fourth, you would have had to be my squire for the rest of the tenure on caf. Regardless, they had a much better season and you were completely wrong and I was completely right. I know more people taught the same as you, so you are not alone. I don’t have time to look for their names…I might still do that though…I just ask that you and the other to be humble and expand my name throughout the forum.

:lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I feel attacked here. I was gutted when we sacked AVB :lol:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
My god you’re a piece of work, aren’t you?
I was getting a lot stick of my opinion back then as I always do. I will head to the conte thread next just to see who else I have been completely right about. But, that will be later. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how they progress next season. They have the poorest squad of the top six, so they will really need to add more quality if they want to be in contender for top four again next season. Gabriel Jesus might be a good fit for their system

Charles Miller

Arsenal have a squad with young players in crucial roles. But they have a clear playing style and can't do much better that. They are where they should be in the table.
I think offensive minded managers get a lot of stick for some reason.
Maybe you could get better results in the short term playing defensive conter attack football, but that is food today and famine tomorrow.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I was getting a lot stick of my opinion back then as I always do. I will head to the conte thread next just to see who else I have been completely right about. But, that will be later. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how they progress next season. They have the poorest squad of the top six, so they will really need to add more quality if they want to be in contender for top four again next season. Gabriel Jesus might be a good fit for their system
Interesting. After spending so much money in the last few years that’s a damning indictment of whichever manager Arteta took over from this season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I feel attacked here. I was gutted when we sacked AVB :lol:
Tbh so was i as I convinced myself we'll be as good as Porto was with his players in :lol:

I think the general point I was making is that there's been a culture/stigma in English football of supporting mediocrity to say "look I'm not a gloryhunter" which in turn allows owners like Kroenke and The Glazers to take the piss to the levels they do.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Well done, they have finished one position better than Manchester United who were a trainwreck, and finished behind Spurs and Chelsea who had terrible season.

Quote me again when he gets sacked next year.

gajender

Arsenal have a squad with young players in crucial roles. But they have a clear playing style and can't do much better that. They are where they should be in the table.
I think offensive minded managers get a lot of stick for some reason.
Maybe you could get better results in the short term playing defensive conter attack football, but that is food today and famine tomorrow.
That's a fair observation but how does it apply to Arteta maybe I can be convinced that Arteta is very good manager with potential to be great but nobody can convince me that Arteta is offensive minded manager based on his tenure so far that would require suspension of belief .