Mikel Arteta plays down speculation linking him to Barca job

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What does that have to do with anything?
What does your post have to do with anything? When did Arsenal have our number and if you did for a very brief period, we pretty soon after made you our whipping boys.

Although I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic.

Green_Red

They've changed the headlines now for Barca, well played by their PR department.

Barca need a fall guy for why they are about to become a mid table team, might as well be a shit manager that takes the blame.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place at a club as big as Arsenal. He did some learning on the job and made some significant mistakes that hurt the club. But I think he has improved over time and there is actually quite a lot to like about how the team is currently playing.

People understandably dwell on his loyalty to Willian and the poor run of results last fall but you could keep absolutely everything about the team and season exactly the same and if Arsenal had simply had a normal (ie, 0-1) number of games getting players sent off, rather than having this happen in four very winnable matches against bottom half of the table competition (getting 2/12 points from those matches in the end), they'd be on something like 43-45 points right now and right in the thick of the race for top four. No club is going to succeed when you're giving away that many points completely unnecessarily. If Chelsea, for example, had players sent off in four matches this year, they'd almost certainly be right around where we are in the table, irrespective of everything else. Some of that is on Arteta, as the manager needs to make it clear that you can't do stupid shit on the field. But it was also senior players like Xhaka really letting him down.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place at a club as big as Arsenal. He did some learning on the job and made some significant mistakes that hurt the club. But I think he has improved over time and there is actually quite a lot to like about how the team is currently playing.

People understandably dwell on his loyalty to Willian and the poor run of results last fall but you could keep absolutely everything about the team and season exactly the same and if Arsenal had simply had a normal (ie, 0-1) number of games getting players sent off, rather than having this happen in four very winnable matches against bottom half of the table competition (getting 2/12 points from those matches in the end), they'd be on something like 43-45 points right now and right in the thick of the race for top four. No club is going to succeed when you're giving away that many points completely unnecessarily. If Chelsea, for example, had players sent off in four matches this year, they'd almost certainly be right around where we are in the table, irrespective of everything else. Some of that is on Arteta, as the manager needs to make it clear that you can't do stupid shit on the field. But it was also senior players like Xhaka really letting him down.
Arsenal is under performing this season given its wage bill and transfer fee spent over last 2 summer windows. However i have seen enough positive sign and willing to give Arteta time. Player recruitment needs to be better though as Pepe and Wilian are not money well spent, and this is not pointing finger to Arteta for it as nowadays it is DOF or transfer committee make decision. I hope we can keep Odegaard next season either on loan or on a permanent deal.

Bergkamp10

Supports
Arsenal
I think Arteta is getting is being treated slightly unfairly on here. Yes, we’re sitting at 10th but ultimately we’re only 5 points away from being amongst contending for European places this season. There’s been plenty of positives since we’ve switched formation from the Chelsea game to suggest that our form will pick up.

Although 11 defeats is obviously a huge amount, I’d say it was only the 3-0 defeat to Villa we were embarrassed. Lots of the the other defeats were a bit closer and the result could have changed on another day. We have probably lost at least 6 points due to stupid decisions by the players receiving 4 red cards so far. Luiz and Xhaka are especially guilty.

Very interested to see what we can do in the summer now that he’s settled on a tactic. Lots of players to get rid of though which won’t be easy especially in the current climate. If we are still in this position this time next year, then we should definitely start looking elsewhere.

Tiber

Are Barca that broke they will hire someone just for being Spanish?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who should Barca hire/target?

Someone like Nagelsmann? Marsch? Blanc? De Zerbi? Other?
Think Tuchel would've been a really good pick up for them.

Allegri's style probably wouldn't fit with their ethos and he feels more Real Madrid type if Zidane leaves end of season.

It's basically going to be Xavi isn't it? Not sure who Laporte's number one pick to be coach is actually going to be given he can't tempt Pep back for next few years so can see him switching and getting him in if he wins the election.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

I see you’ve reached the “it’s the players fault” stage of supporting an under-performing team led by an under-qualified manager. Relatable.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea, for example, had players sent off in four matches this year, they'd almost certainly be right around where we are in the table, irrespective of everything else.
We were, difference is we did something about it.

AshRK

Man has learnt more from Moyes than Pep.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Sorry for the long post, I'm stuck on 9 likes so ran out of posts yesterday, but I just wanted to address a couple of points, so bear with me.

You could differ but (with respect) you’d be wrong.

5th highest net spend (last 5 years)
2nd highest wage bill (the metric that a lot of people argue has the most reliable correlation with success)

Arsenal are currently 10th.

Arteta clearly has them punching below their weight.
I don't know where Planet Football plucked its figure's from, but here's Swiss Rambles take on wages & he uses figures from accounts. Still not great, but there was no way we were 2nd highest.

Now on to Dan.

He's lost as many games in the last month as Emery did in his last 18 games which caused him to be sacked.
We've lost 3 games in the last month, did Emery not lose more than that?

He's extended/convinced to stay Bellerin, Xhaka, Holding, Nketiah, Lacazette and also offered Mustafi a new deal (which he declined) which makes a mockery of the narrative he's a victim of a poor squad. Infact I think something like 16 of the squad are there due to his impact be it transfer, new contract, begged to stay etc..
The only player he has actually extended on that list is Holding. The rest he's convinced to stay, because you can't change a full team at the same time. Mustafi new deal was likely just paper talk. Some of those will probably leave this summer.

Also Saliba's shining on loan for a title contender while Arteta persists with Holding.
Nice are mid table, & he's doing well, so that bodes well for us & him for next season

Moyes and Ancelotti both took over weaker squad's at around about the same time and both look very likely to comfortably finish above Arsenal.
Season hasn't finished yet, still a third to go, so we'll see. If they do, fair play to them.

Also we keep hearing about how great Leno, Tierney, Partey, Saka and Auba are, so why are they 10th with 13 games to go?
2 of them have had large spells out with injury, Auba's form fell off a cliff.

Arteta himself has said he has the owners full backing which takes that excuse away.
Most managers say that. Some say that 2 weeks before they are sacked.

Yes the FA Cup was a decent achievement in itself but means feck all in the grand scheme of things, look at the list of managers who have won domestic cups in recent times, full of average dross there. Would you employ Harry Redknapp?
There's been 2 clubs in the last 25 years that have won it outwith Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Utd & Liverpool.

I've never known a player/manager to be protected with such a sheer amount of excuses, Emery was sacked (and mocked) for a lot less, where was all this energy for him?
I addressed that in my previous post.

Reactions: roonster09

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sorry for the long post, I'm stuck on 9 likes so ran out of posts yesterday, but I just wanted to address a couple of points, so bear with me.

I don't know where Planet Football plucked its figure's from, but here's Swiss Rambles take on wages & he uses figures from accounts. Still not great, but there was no way we were 2nd highest.

Planet football does actually give the source. Spotrac.

They do seem to have it wrong though. Arsenal has the 5th highest wage bill. As per Swiss Ramble.

My point stands though. The top six spend way more than the rest. From City down to Spurs there’s a difference of 7m. From Spurs to the next in line there’s a huge drop of 45m. Any ‘top six’ manager whose club finds itself utside the top six is failing badly. Arsenal are currently 9th. And have been lower down the table for most of this season.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Planet football does actually give the source. Spotrac.

They do seem to have it wrong though. Arsenal has the 5th highest wage bill. As per Swiss Ramble.

My point stands though. The top six spend way more than the rest. From City down to Spurs there’s a difference of 7m. From Spurs to the next in line there’s a huge drop of 45m. Any ‘top six’ manager whose club finds itself utside the top six is failing badly. Arsenal are currently 9th. And have been lower down the table for most of this season.
Yeah, I can't disagree with you, I think this squad should be about 5th or 6th, so anything below is underachieving. I actually think if we were concentrating on the league we could make 6th still, but I think he might concentrate on the Europa League games & rotate a bit in the league, & although Willian & Pepe look to finally be in a bit of form, they'd need to really keep that up if we rotate & I can't say I'm positive they will.

future2future

Koeman's doing a good job, I watch a lot of Barca games and you can see it's starting to come together and he's giving a lot of playing time to youth. He's not going anywhere, a lot of players have been going on record that they are believing in what he's doing. As long as it's going uphill he's going to be there for a couple of years, rebuilding, implementing a lot of youth and rebuilding backed by a solid board of Barca lovers.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
As we've seen countless times in past Barca rarely appoint elite level managers ever since Van Gaal. They go for more ex players who understand the whole culture and "mystique" or random ones like Tata Martino to try to appease Messi.

If you look back last 20 years they've appointed Lorenzo Serra Ferrer who was good at Betis in 90s but didn't do much, then Frank Rijkaard came in 2003 and overall did well but they signed superbly in that time. Then was Pep era. Then the Martino year before they went for Luis Enrique who hadn't done that well with Roma but he timed is arrival nicely with MSN at peak level.

Valverde had done solid job at many clubs but he wasn't elite either. Infact Koeman is arguably biggest name they've appointed in last 20 years given who he's managed but again it's more the ex player angle and after a poor start he's actually done a better job than I thought possible, comfortably keeping them top 4 and in cup final and trying to get them away from Messi cult and giving more responsibility to other players in final third.

It's completely different to Real Madrid strategy when you look at who they've appointed in last 15 years as manager.

So with that criteria I wouldn't say Arteta is that random given he grew up there, worked with Pep and is already managing a pretty big club in euro terms but yeah he'd be gobbled up by everything and far too soon. Also whoever the next manager is will be working with first Barca side post Messi so that's a huge task particularly as the crowd will be annoyed by him leaving when they get back in to Camp Nou so will be difficult atmosphere to play in.
Came on here to write something similar so thanks for saving me the trouble. Good post.

Bergkamp10

Supports
Arsenal
Good luck in Barcelona mate :lol:
Points dropped like today surely only emphasise the fact that there’s only so much he can do. It’s not his fault that Xhaka screwed up- he’s a decent player but is culpable to errors and perhaps Pepe should have started but we would have won that game 9 times out of 10. Luck was not with us and we most definitely should have had a pen.