Mike's 2021 Sheep draft: Ecstatic vs Chester

With players at career peaks, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

......................................... TEAM ECSTATIC ................................................................................................ TEAM CHESTER ..................................................

TEAM ECSTATIC:

ECSTATIC STRATEGY ENGINEERED BY ZAGALLO IN 1970

ECSTATIC PHILOSOPHY -
WHAT YOU SEE IN THIS VIDEO IS WHAT YOU GET IN THIS GAME

1. LET YOUR GENIUS FOCUS ON RUNNING THE SHOW OFFENSIVELY
2. A PARTNER IN CRIME - HAVE A FALSE WINGER/SECONDARY PLAYMAKER -
3. SELECT A HARD-WORKING AND COMPLETE STRIKER TO FREE SPACE FOR THE GENIUS
4. HAVE A DEEP-LYING PLAYMAKING CENTRAL MIDFIELDER AKA PAULO ROBERTO FALCÃO
5. RIGHT-FLANK MANDATE - DESIGNED GOAL-SCORING HURRICANES

ECSTATIC CONCLUSION - COMPACT AND PLAY-MAKING TEAM WHOSE CLAP OF THUNDERS ARE DEVASTATING

ECSTATIC VOTE - FOR COACH ZAGALLO, NOT THE PLAYER FFS

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND - Tactical Tendencies: The beginning of compactness.

FLASH-BACK - BRASIL 1970 (4-2-4): FÉLIX; CARLOS ALBERTO, BRITO, PIAZZA, EVERALDO; CLODOALDO, GÉRSON; JAIRZINHO, PELÉ, TOSTÃO, RIVELLINO.

World Cup Champion 1970 – Mexico Facts: 6 games and 6 victories. 19 goals in favor, 7 goals against, 12 plus goals differential.
Jairzinho scored 7 times,
Pele 4 times,
Rivellino 3 times,
Tostao 2 times,
and 1 time for Carlos Alberto
, Clodoaldo and Gerson.

The team attacked and defended in a block. No more separation between the sectors of defense, midfield and attack. It explored a lot of counter attack opportunities thru long passes (especially towards the speedy Jairzinho) and/or quick possession game. Rivellino as a “false winger” helped the middle, freeing the left wing many times for Tostao to enter that zone, and opening up the central areas for Pele to come thru. Also Carlos Alberto Torres was a huge supporter from behind as a right full back.

TEAM CHESTER:

NOTES: The individual roles should be self-explanatory. It's a fairly offensive setup, with both fullbacks bombing forward regularly - and Beckenbauer pushing up into midfield as per his usual libero function.

It shouldn't be wildly gung-ho/unbalanced, however. The central midfield combo is defensively solid and will be holding/covering as part of their game. Zagallo will track back (and help out in the middle, as needed). And lastly, both Facchetti and Beckenbauer are absolute experts in the art of knowing when to go and when to stay put - so I doubt they'll be caught out of position much.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Signing Beckenbauer & Ronaldo on a deadline day was an insane piece of business. Without it Chester wouldn't stand any chance, but with their addition it looks quite even.

Lovely teams. I especially like Platini's retinue.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think the weakest part of Ecstatics side would be defensively down that left side, but don't see much from Chester to cause too many worries down that side either.

Really tough game to vote on.

Himannv

Some comments: Kaka and Rivellino seem like different sort of players to me. I mean, they both play the same position, but the way they function is somewhat different. Kaka is at his best when he's running with the ball into the spaces created by others and just burning teams with his pace. With Platini there he doesn't get that kind of space. I think he can play in this setup, but I feel like you're not really getting the best out of him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ecstatic's left flank needs some getting used to. Kaka, Lerby and Junior all favored to operate in same area. Junior can provide some width, but I genuinely don't see that stretching the defence. Either a genuine winger or a touchline fullback would have been better.

Kaka and Rivellino seem like different sort of players to me.
Considering Platini, I'd have thought it was more Boniek Role. :lol: But then this is Zagallo tactics!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ecstatic's left flank needs some getting used to. Kaka, Lerby and Junior all favored to operate in same area. Junior can provide some width, but I genuinely don't see that stretching the defence. Either a genuine winger or a touchline fullback would have been better.
Between Junior and Lerby there's surely enough defense-stretching outside runs?

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I was actually thinking it was quite good. Junior dropping into CM allows Lerby to go leftwards and Kaka to go inwards. Unorthodox but I can see it working really well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Before the reinforcements this was going to be a landslide for Ecstatic. Beckenbauer and Fenomeno, elevated this team and it looks wow now.

Very little to separate the sides, can go either way.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Jairzinho and Junior need to be dropped in future rounds.

Go all mental with Kaka/Platini centrally, get a Cafu clone for the left flank and you have my vote till the end of the draft.

Its a testament to @Ecstatic 's excellent drafting that even after that strong finish from @Chesterlestreet , I can still see the former nicking it.

Edit: You will start losing my vote any time you drop Kaka (except injuries of course)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hope Chester will educate us on this.
Clearly more of an offensive asset - would probably struggle a bit one-on-one with the likes of a prime Kaka (fast, strong dribbler). Truth be told I tried to upgrade him - a more balanced fullback (stronger defensively) would have been ideal, I think.

Nelinho's main strength would be crosses - great fit for Spencer...but then poor Spencer ended up on the bench.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What's the deal now, by the way - we play several matches before the knock-out stage?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I really don't see anything wrong with my opponent's team here - and I think the overall quality of the XIs is very close.

The setups are fairly similar too, so one can perhaps do a bit of direct comparison:

Keepers: No significant advantage for either side.
Fullbacks: Goes to E.
Central defence: Goes to me (just about).
Central midfield: No significant advantage for either side.
Wingers/wide attackers/midfielders: No significant advantage for either side (different types involved here for the two sides - so probably the hardest area to compare).
Platini versus Rivera: Platini.
Ronaldo versus Sheva: Ronaldo.

Close - very close.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
tactically astute
Yes, Junior is definitely top notch in that regard. Very intelligent player. Given how GOAT heavy this draft has become, you could say that he isn't "final worthy" - but this isn't a final.

As far as my right side is concerned, the obvious point to make would be that he'll be up against an uncommonly good dribbler (one of the best, in fact) - and he may struggle a bit one-on-one with Littbarski. But I have a very similar problem w/ the aforementioned Nelinho/Kaka match-up. And in general terms, it's Junior > Nelinho.

ETA I actually came very close to going for Junior myself in one of the earlier rounds (don't remember which). Anyway, I rate him very highly - always have.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He reached his prime between 2003 and 2007. World cup 2006. He could have been the star number 1 of the world cup 2006. Kaká started in his first World Cup finals in 2006 and scored his first and only goal of the tournament in Brazil's 1–0 victory over Croatia (named Man of the Match). he was unable to keep up the momentum. Several injuries before the competition and during the world cup made him in a weak shape against the game lost against France: unrecognizable in this game. At the end of the day, he won everything, including the wc 2002 but he was too young to challenge Rivaldo/Ronnie.
He was still their best player in that WC mind you with so much star power in the team. Ronaldinho was on the left of attacking midfield and Ronaldo, Adriano upfront. Was the only player who at least showed his true level in the group stage while all the others who was more in focus had a horrendous WC. He also had no problems being a bit in the shadow.

The only thing I have in mind is that I think he preferred to attack from the right side in star studded team with a more dominant players like in that WC and Sheva preffered to attack from the right also. This was Brazil tactics there...

I do think it can work as Sheva was also so mobile, but I don't think it is absolutely ideal for Kaka.

As for Chester, Rivera is a beautiful piece to round that attack and Facchetti/Zagallo is a beautiful flank allowing VH to play to it's strength. Will probably chicken out from voting as it is so damn close, mind you.

Jim Beam

Curious to know how people view the offensive strategy of Chester in terms of dynamics.
Rivera will pull the plugs obviously. More curious how you think you will stop that link (Rivera/Ronaldo) as you have to commit at least Lerby to have a close eye on him most of the times which will limit his attacking influence.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
the offensive strategy of Chester
...assuming I have one, that is.

But seriously, my most obvious route to a goal here would seem to involve the left side: Rivera (or WVH, perhaps) linking up long or short with a forward-bombing Facchetti...and then bringing Ronaldo into play.

The right side, offensively, is more of a dark horse type of asset - early cross from Nelinho (who was outstanding from long range) or a piece of sheer trickery from Littbarski to create an imbalance.

Remember THAT Ronaldo goal for Real where Beckham sets him up with a pass from his own half? A kind of semi-cross, for lack of a better term. Nelinho might pull off something like that. Might. But, again, I see that as more of a bonus type of deal - my left side is clearly stronger. A bit like United these days - except that I actually have a top class player operating as a right winger/RWF.
(Wasn't from his own half, but close enough).

ETA And...Rivera would also combine directly with Ronaldo centrally - try to play him clear, exploiting his speed and movement. That kind of goes without saying, though - and turns into a question of how well anyone can contain Ronaldo. Your CBs are top of the line, of course - so there isn't any positive weakness to exploit there for me.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

In all honesty, I tend to view Rivera as a slow player in terms of execution but - obviously - won't deny the quality of the Italian Ballon d'Or.
Perceptivelly slow I would say, the worst kind to deal with. Something like Pirlo in the way he operated.

Ok, am out, giving my vote in the end and the other side will have to forgive me as I really like them.

Jim Beam

Bepo will shit scared most of you when he puts in the line up. By far the most uncomfortable team you can face, look again at his possible first 11.

Ok, ok, am really out now.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
In a tight game (which this would obviously be), the real ace up my sleeve here is arguably not Ronaldo - but Beckenbauer. If he can find the right opportunities to involve himself offensively, that could be what I need to create just that small imbalance which could make the difference.

Something like this (but preferably ending in a goal!).

Around the 3:40 mark. That's the sort of thing - pushing up with the ball from his own half.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He was still their best player in that WC mind you with so much star power in the team. Ronaldinho was on the left of attacking midfield and Ronaldo, Adriano upfront. Was the only player who at least showed his true level in the group stage while all the others who was more in focus had a horrendous WC. He also had no problems being a bit in the shadow.

The only thing I have in mind is that I think he preferred to attack from the right side in star studded team with a more dominant players like in that WC and Sheva preffered to attack from the right also. This was Brazil tactics there...

I do think it can work as Sheva was also so mobile, but I don't think it is absolutely ideal for Kaka.

As for Chester, Rivera is a beautiful piece to round that attack and Facchetti/Zagallo is a beautiful flank allowing VH to play to it's strength. Will probably chicken out from voting as it is so damn close, mind you.
Kaka's positioning and the pitch-narrowing effect is the main reason I voted for Chester, whose jigsaw pieces all fit together more seamlessly. That said I think the trio of Platini/Shevchenko/Kaka has the potential to work together well as a unit. As you say, Kaka is a touch more experienced on the other side, and started off in Brazil as a right-winger, before moving inside. To be fair I think he has many of the tools to play as a wide forward, but his x-factor to me was always about those injections of pace in clustered central areas.

Jim Beam

Yep we have a clan who votes when someone else doesn't play, but we anyway vote for it because you will lose the group or you will lose those votes.

Jim Beam

show the PM that you deleted @Ecstatic

I don't give a single feck but this is beyond ridiculous. I change my vote because I thought Chester doesn't have a flaw in his team especially after gio post.

In my Diego corner or a ban I will go but feckin hell.