Mike's 2021 Sheep draft: Enigma vs P-Nut

With players at career peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

................................................. TEAM ENIGMA .................................................................................................... TEAM P-NUT .................................................

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 4-3-3 / 4-2-3-1

Defence:

Marshaled by no other than the great Franco Baresi we have two full backs that are able to contribute going forward in Dani Alves and Jan Heintze. Heintze was important part of hugely successful PSV side that won the European cup in 88' and 9 domestic titles when the Eredivisie was successful league packed with talent. Perfumo plays in his natural role as a classic stopper next to Baresi.

Midfield:
Makelele
anchors the defence in a role that he made an entire football community to name after him. Matthaus is at the heart of the midfield with his great motor and in classic B2B role, able to impact both phases of the play. Zico spearheads the midfield in the attacking midfield role, offering playmaking, creativity and ability to score ton of goals.

Attack:
Figo
and Stoichkov are one of the most notable wingers in the game, able to be a creative outlet working their magic out wide, cut in and score important goals or find Law in the box with their pinpoint accurate crosses. Speaking of Law, he blends in the team style seamlessly with his hardworking style, grit, determination and be our first line of defence harassing the opposition defenders and forcing them into a mistake. Our forward line is pretty industrious and in Stoichkov/Figo's case they are able to help the midfield and also their full backs in case the opposition tries to go wide.

Advantages:
Biggest one is playing against a sheep keeper. Jose Porras was a Costa Rican keeper who couldn't even break into his local team Saprissa until their main man Erick Lonnis retired. Porras will face one of the very best attackers in the game, but couple of things also needs to be underlined - Zico, Stoichkov, Matthaus and Figo possess one of the most accurate strikes from distance and are dangerous both inside and outside the box. Especially in Zico and Stoichkov case they scored numerous goals with accurately placed shots outside the penalty area and would provide a ton of pressure on an inexperienced keeper in all time sense. On top of that we have Law's prowess in the air and positional ability in the box supplied with the creative force of our wingers and Matthaus/Zico core combo.

Central core and midfield:
P-nut team looks top heavy from initial drafting and midfield is where we can exert control over the proceedings of the game. We have a central core that is able to provide a wall for our central defence in Makelele and Matthaus, but in addition to that we have very hard working forwards and generally winger duo that is able to shorten the time and space for the opposition attack.

Attack:
The opposition boasts with some really impressive names in terms of attacking output, but our attack is really no pushovers. 4 of our front 6 are ballon D'or winners (Law, Figo, Stoichkov and Matthaus), and considering the challenge in oppositions defence (either forced to play another sheep in Lalas, play three at the back or push Bonhof in a bit more uncomfortable role as a RB in a back four) we have the ability to outnumber and isolate the opposition defence in one on one scenarios or even numerical advantage where we can capitalize.

In the middle of the pitch Zico / Matthaus combo is too hot to handle for the opposition, especially if that base needs to cover either wide or for the defence, leaving pockets of space that we can exploit.

TEAM P-NUT:

Defence is rather self explanatory. Cole and Thuram covering the width and Cannavaro marshaling the middle. Was important to get Cole at the end as I needed a defence first defender and he should slot in nicely.

The next line has the German duo with plenty of stamina to shuttle up and down and link defence and attack, both excellent ball players whilst never shirking their defensive duties should add a balance to a notoriously difficult formation to balance.

The 2 AMs should thrive here, Iniesta the pass master in his perfect position where he can drift out wide when CR comes in off his flank. Mazzola has another playmaker alongside him which allows him to be the breaker from midfield and get in and around the box sniffing out goals like he did throughout his career.

Front line CR and Muller take up their renowned positions and the only one that likely needs explaining is Park on the right. It again brings balance to the formation with Muller and CR having low defensive responsibilities, Park will work as hard as ever to help the midfield and defence on transitions.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Good to see Park, but why not play Henry left and switch Cristiano to right?
I don't think you can count CR as a goat on the right and you lose a massive amount of his goal threat. Park adds the balance which when facing a modern formation with a WM is always going to be focused on.

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think you can count CR as a goat on the right and you lose a massive amount of his goal threat. Park adds the balance which when facing a modern formation with a WM is always going to be focused on.
We were very surprised when you went with Park in the last RR and wondered how you'll use him. I get the idea and it makes sense.

Didn't expect to be honest to see you going with WM, but I guess it was either that or Lalas at CB which definitely wouldn't look good and we were fortunate that you didn't reinforce further in the latter rounds as it was looking like a monster side. :lol:

I'm not really sure about Ashley there tbh. In WM I'd probably have a CB that is able to cover wide rather than a full back that comes inside. Thuram, of course, fits naturally in that role, but not Cole.

For example crosses coming from the left where Stoichkov is one of the most renown crossers on that side will make it hard for Cole to cover the box and also mind Figo, which can open up spaces for Law in the box or Zico arriving late, Especially with Cristiano in free role and not tracking back. Also Cole is not the CB/LB hybrid that can pull that role and generally would prefer a different type of defender in LCB (Maldini, Krol, Bergomi, Stam, etc).

P-Nut

We were very surprised when you went with Park in the last RR and wondered how you'll use him. I get the idea and it makes sense.

Didn't expect to be honest to see you going with WM, but I guess it was either that or Lalas at CB which definitely wouldn't look good and we were fortunate that you didn't reinforce further in the latter rounds as it was looking like a monster side. :lol:

I'm not really sure about Ashley there tbh. In WM I'd probably have a CB that is able to cover wide rather than a full back that comes inside. Thuram, of course, fits naturally in that role, but not Cole.

For example crosses coming from the left where Stoichkov is one of the most renown crossers on that side will make it hard for Cole to cover the box and also mind Figo, which can open up spaces for Law in the box or Zico arriving late, Especially with Cristiano in free role and not tracking back. Also Cole is not the CB/LB hybrid that can pull that role and generally would prefer a different type of defender in LCB (Maldini, Krol, Bergomi, Stam, etc).
Yeah I was thinking WM from the start and brought in Henry so that he could cover injuries to most of the front line. Park just adds a degree of control to an attacking formation. The benefit of that attacking formation is that you get a full force Muller and Cristiano which is a frightening proposition.

As for Cole he's one of the best defensive full backs there has been and whilst I agree he isn't a 100% perfect fit, if you're looking beyond the obvious candidates (most of which I attempted to get) he's right up there due to his 1 on 1 defending which is obviously crucial with most of the players being attack minded.

The WM also means that we can control the middle of the park with 4 greats in there all with credentials to dictate the game.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Seems like Cristiano is on the wrong flank to really make the most of this.
WM's back in the day often did used to have 1 traditional winger and 1 wing forward.

With Iniesta there, I think its quite good. He would be under utilized on the right

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Refreshing to see @P-Nut lineup, teams/setups like this bring life back into drafts.

Kazi

The only real question is, who is Park going out to do his man marking duties on :D

Enigma_87

You know who
When I looked over this teamsheet, I assumed he'd line up

Henry...........Muller..........Cristiano
...Iniesta..............Mazzola............
................Schweini.....................
Cole...Cannavaro...Thuram...Bonhof

but then always good to see a WM!
Yeah it thought the same.
You forgot the keeper though ! I know it’s a best old subject but it’s a sheep one :D

Enigma_87

You know who
WM's back in the day often did used to have 1 traditional winger and 1 wing forward.

With Iniesta there, I think its quite good. He would be under utilized on the right
Probably yes.

4-2-3-1/4-3-3 IMO is the best one to counter the WM though. We have the full back/winger combos to pull the defenders wide and also central core not to lose the midfield battle.

and there is also the keeper issue.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@P-Nut With classic formations I am always interested in how you intend to setup in the organised defensive phase. What shape are you going for?

P-Nut

@P-Nut With classic formations I am always interested in how you intend to setup in the organised defensive phase. What shape are you going for?
It's probably a narrow compact shape and allowing space out wide. Ronaldo and Muller staying high up the pitch to counter, Park dropping back and helping Iniesta and Mazzola deny time and space for Enigmas deep midfielders.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
usually not a fan of dinosaur tactics as i think there is a good reason they were abandon completely but this WM actually looks decent in most segments.
Im just how would that defensive shape look like when enigma gets a sustained period of possession? I assume Thuram goes centrally while Bonhof goes wide? Could be a dangerous switch with electric Stoichkov there to exploit it.
Also what that sides lacks is a bit of ability on the ball, both Thuram and Cannavaro were poor-ish on the ball, i assume gk as well. Cole/Bonhof were decent but nothing special and there you put all your basket into Schweini who while good on the ball he is not the guy.

GodShaveTheQueen

Off the ball, it has to be Bonhof who drops in as a CB. Did play as a libero (in big European games as well). Was more than decent on the ball as well.

With someone like Stoichkov there, you'd want Thuram to be the constant presence on the right.

Should be a pretty straight forward transition to a 4-3-3 in the defensive phase.

Now how well does Bonhof do as a CB defensively, that is another matter all together, but shifting him to the right off the ball is not a good idea IMO

GodShaveTheQueen

4-2-3-1/4-3-3 IMO is the best one to counter the WM though
Not always. Depends on the personnel.

The best formation for me personally to counter a WM is a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4

The wide men will be really effective against the WM back line if the 3 defenders are already pre-occupied.

You slot in 2 forwards there to keep them occupied and then let the wingers have a free run.

That being said, Zico is a as good as having a second forward, so that works in your favor.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Off the ball, it has to be Bonhof who drops in as a CB. Did play as a libero (in big European games as well). Was more than decent on the ball as well.

With someone like Stoichkov there, you'd want Thuram to be the constant presence on the right.

Should be a pretty straight forward transition to a 4-3-3 in the defensive phase.

Now how well does Bonhof do as a CB defensively, that is another matter all together, but shifting him to the right off the ball is not a good idea IMO
had no idea he played as libero

regarding stoichkov, he will make those runs between fullback and centerback all day so it would maybe even be more beneficial to have Thuram inside. If we take modern game as example, wide forwards are rarely against fullback. Remember United against Bayern, think that butthead Buttner was praised to heavens and back for his performance against Robben yet they barely met each other as Robben was mainly against CB/DM while the turd was defending Rafinha.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's probably a narrow compact shape and allowing space out wide. Ronaldo and Muller staying high up the pitch to counter, Park dropping back and helping Iniesta and Mazzola deny time and space for Enigmas deep midfielders.
I was thinking something like this would work -

--------------------Muller---------------
-------------CR7---------------------------
Iniesta--Bastian--Mazzola--Park
Cole---Cannavaro-Thuram-Bonhof

Edit - DIdn't know Bonhof played libero. It would probably be an easier transition than shifting him to RB.

P-Nut

More likely to keep a similar shape to the attacking phase to be honest. Bonhof tracking runners deeper than Schwein so could be classed as taking up a CB position when Zico pushes into that SS position.

Ronaldo Muller
Iniesta Mazzola Park
Schweinsteiger
Cole Cannavaro Bonhof Thuram

P-Nut

Writing in The Sunday Times, Rooney said: 'It's crazy but if you mentioned Cristiano Ronaldo to a 12-year-old, they would immediately say, "Yeah, he was a brilliant player for Manchester United", but if you said 'Park Ji-Sung' they may not know who he was.

'Yet all of us who played with Park know he was almost as important to our success. That's because of what Park gave to the collective and I want to talk about teams. They - not stars - are the most important thing in sport.'

Himannv

Edit - DIdn't know Bonhof played libero. It would probably be an easier transition than shifting him to RB.
I'd much rather have Bonhof in midfield if that's possible but I like that setup much more - very much my kind of tactic. I guess the real problem is that he's short of an RB.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'd much rather have Bonhof in midfield if that's possible but I like that setup much more - very much my kind of tactic. I guess the real problem is that he's short of an RB.
Well it's how he wants the team to setup without the ball. Just having 3 CBs and 2 DMs won't work. He needs a DM to drop into the back four somewhere and the only option is Bonhof either at RB or CB. If he can hold onto the ball for a long time it won't make that much of a difference as he will be in the attacking phase most of the game. That said he hasn't got a possession line-up so will be in this 4411 shape for a decent proportion of the game.

P-Nut

Well it's how he wants the team to setup without the ball. Just having 3 CBs and 2 DMs won't work. He needs a DM to drop into the back four somewhere and the only option is Bonhof either at RB or CB. If he can hold onto the ball for a long time it won't make that much of a difference as he will be in the attacking phase most of the game. That said he hasn't got a possession line-up so will be in this 4411 shape for a decent proportion of the game.
It won't I've described above what shape we'd drop into, it's more of a 4132 shape

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It won't I've described above what shape we'd drop into, it's more of a 4132 shape
I focusing mainly on why you need Bonhof in the back four somewhere. I don't actually think the 4132 shape is that different from my proposed 4411 in how it would play in reality.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
had no idea he played as libero
The man probably played in every midfield & defensive role that exists in the universe :lol:
RB, RWB, man-marking CB, libero, LB, LWB, DM, CM, RM, LM...

Enigma_87

You know who
The man probably played in every midfield & defensive role that exists in the universe :lol:
RB, RWB, man-marking CB, libero, LB, LWB, DM, CM, RM, LM...
Where would you rate him best? When we scoured through P-nut's options we thought about him as a RB in 4 man defence, but I'm not entirely sure how good he can be considered at that position.

I always thought of him at his best as a DM/B2B in a central role(and quite frankly most I've seen him he played there).

harms

Staff
Where would you rate him best? When we scoured through P-nut's options we thought about him as a RB in 4 man defence, but I'm not entirely sure how good he can be considered at that position.

I always thought of him at his best as a DM/B2B in a central role(and quite frankly most I've seen him he played there).
Probably a B2B in a three to give him a bit more leeway with attacking runs down the wings & give him more opportunities to shoot. But yeah, certainly I rate him best as a midfielder, although it’s hard to image a better guy to fix any potential leak in your hull.

harms

Staff
As Bruce Lee said, I fear not the man who has played with 10,000 formations once, but I fear the man who has played 4-2-3-1 10,000 times...
Hopefully @P-Nut will have a good run though, it's a brilliant team and a lovely executed W-M, it's just that Enigma's team is so good.

P-Nut

Disappointing score but not surprising considering how good @Enigma_87 's team is, I hope you win the follow up game @P-Nut
As Bruce Lee said, I fear not the man who has played with 10,000 formations once, but I fear the man who has played 4-2-3-1 10,000 times...
Hopefully @P-Nut will have a good run though, it's a brilliant team and a lovely executed W-M, it's just that Enigma's team is so good.
No 2nd game for me as me vs Enigma was 5th match