• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Style:
Quick transitions. Recover the ball quickly, start counters and aim for the goal. Utilize the wings.

Player Profiles:
GK: Pat Jennings
- compete keeper. Commanding in the air and great reflexes.
LB: Jose Antonio Camacho - balanced full back.
RB: Djalma Santos - defensive full back.
CB: Elias Figueroa - ball playing complete defender, start attacks from the back.
CB: Alessandro Nesta - another complete CB, playing as a stopper.
DM/CM: Bastian Schweinsteiger - defensive holder. Protect the back four and link the defence with midfield.
CM/B2B: Michael Essien - defensive B2B. Keep things compact and simple with his passing game and link midfield and attack.
AM/Free role: - Pele - in his natural role. Playing off Batistuta, but also dropping deep to initiate attacks.
LW: Ronaldinho - left winger and wide playmaker.
RW: Garrincha - right winger, use his pace and trickery to create numerical advantage.
CF: Gabriel Batistuta - center forward. Pressure the defenders, first line of defence and put the ball in the net.

Defence: Compact defence bossed by Figueroa. Djalma will provide cover at the back and free Garrincha to do his thing. Alessandro Nesta is added to the central defence to create an impenetrable unit.

Midfield: Schweinsteiger will act as a holder and launch quick counters looking for Pele or the wings, whilst providing protection for the back four. Essien in his peak Chelsea days will act as a defensive B2B, covering every blade of grass, but also keeping it simple in the middle with his quick and accurate short passing game.

Attack: Blend of creativity, trickery, pace and deadly finishing ability, the attach has it all with Joga Bonito oomph of Ronaldinho, Garrincha and Pele providing the ammo for one of the best finishers in Batistuta. Pele / Garrincha is a proven combo that didn't lost a single game playing together(40 games for the national team). The attack is sum of parts that everyone brings something to the table without overlapping in their roles.

Key Strengths: Garrincha and Djalma Santos is a proven combo and probably the best right flank in history. To add to that Pele steps up to form a devastating Brazil trio just behind one of the greatest finishers in the game in Batistuta. Pele is in his natural free role hovering between the lines would utilize the space between opposition defence and midfield. Pele, Garrincha and Ronaldinho is a terrific platform for Batistuta to shine and will provide him a lot of chances. The defensive line is marshalled by one of the best defenders in history in Figueroa alongside a complimentary partner in Nesta, who is elite defender himself and as good as it gets both in the air and also blazingly fast on the ground. Both full backs are one of the most outstanding markers and defensively sound full backs in the game. The team doesn't have a weak spot whilst having also a star studded complimentary airings all round. A midfield duo of Schweinsteiger and Essien can hold its own against pretty much every opposition.

TEAM JIM BEAM

Tactics: 4-4-2, attacking;

Strategy: Stay compact, well-organized at all time, but put enigma's midfield 2 of Bastian and Essien under enormous pressure.

How do you beat the monster? Counter Brazilian core with a Dutch one adding Beckenbauer and Puskas in the mix. Don't cut his head, but the rest of the body making it hard for them to dominate the game.

Johan Cruyff factor - not only does he goes with his old friend Neeskens and a certain Rijkaard, but put him on the wing with a freedom to drift all around going into the middle of the park and forward. This will put additional pressure on Bastian and Essien and prevent them to have any control of the game. Also, not a classic winger will negate Djalma influence in the defensive phase as he can't track him the way he would do with a classic one.

Franz Beckenbauer factor - joining from the back to make numerical advantage in the centre of the pitch linking with that midfield and attack.

John Charles factor - aye, my big man has a role. Keep the defensive line busy for those behind to work their magic.

Conclusion: individual quality is still on enigma side, but if those wingers don't put a great defensive shift (and they are not famous for it) the dominance in midfield can win the game. Jinky to push Camacho back.

The only GOAT player who doesn't have a proper marker or a player who can negate his influence is Cruyff as he can pop out anywhere in this scheme.

Enigma_87

You know who
To kick it off, @Jim Beam has build a quality side. The only issue in terms of mechanics and possible overlap is probably how will Cruyff and Puskas function in that side and whether or not they will occupy the same space.

Apart from that looks as beautiful 4-4-2 as any.

Our advantage is some favorable match ups, whilst in the same time countering the opposition attack very well.

Ronaldinho vs Tassoti and Batistuta should get the better of Costacurta, considering Beckenbauer would probably need to step up against Pele.

In this game we moved Essien on the right and Schweinsteiger will cover him in the defensive phase, whilst having Djalma(the best defensive full back of all time) and Nesta shoring the space.

Both Nesta and Figueroa are great headers of the ball and would negate Charles influence in the air.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Conclusion: individual quality is still on enigma side, but if those wingers don't put a great defensive shift (and they are not famous for it) the dominance in midfield can win the game. Jinky to push Camacho back.
I've thought that since he paired Dinho and Garrincha. In a 433 it would be fine but as a 4231 it is too lightweight defensively for me. Even the Brazil 58 side had Zagallo as a hard working LW to balance out Garrincha. Now that did have Didi in a midfield two but I would take Didi and Zagallo over Ronaldinho and Bastian as a pair for defensive contribution. I can see Puskas and Cruyff causing some major damage on the break here.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
To kick it off, you build a fantastic side, so credit to you.

Ronaldinho vs Tassoti and Batistuta should get the better of Costacurta, considering Beckenbauer would probably need to step up against Pele.
Batistuta couldn't get better of Costacurta while he was in his 30's. Franz is going nowhere in defensive scheme, Rijkaard goes on Pele, Facchetti on Garrincha and Ronaldinho will mostly go into the middle which I don't mind.

My goal is that you go on the back foot with wingers who will not track back. Who is on Cruyff?

Enigma_87

You know who
I've thought that since he paired Dinho and Garrincha. In a 433 it would be fine but as a 4231 it is too lightweight defensively for me. Even the Brazil 58 side had Zagallo as a hard working LW to balance out Garrincha. Now that did have Didi in a midfield two but I would take Didi and Zagallo over Ronaldinho and Bastian as a pair for defensive contribution. I can see Puskas and Cruyff causing some major damage on the break here.
Pele brings work rate, which is often overlooked and we have 2 very defensively sound midfielders in Essien and Schweinsteiger, who covered a lot of distance in their prime.

Also in that 58 side we had young Pele playing as a striker.

Facchetti is key to providing width on the left, Cruyff always had someone like Krol to stretch that side and against Garrincha I can't see him having such influence in this game. Let's not forget that during the 1970 final he was very restricted in the attacking phase facing Jairzinho and that 1970 side also had Gerson who was far from what Essien would offer in the defensive phase.

Generally I can see us controlling the game, limiting the opposition in terms of chances. Our defence is better and our attack too in terms of individual brilliance.

Enigma_87

You know who
To kick it off, you build a fantastic side, so credit to you.

Batistuta couldn't get better of Costacurta while he was in his 30's. Franz is going nowhere in defensive scheme, Rijkaard goes on Pele, Facchetti on Garrincha and Ronaldinho will mostly go into the middle which I don't mind.

My goal is that you go on the back foot with wingers who will not track back. Who is on Cruyff?
Well Batistuta scored a hattrick against Costacurta/Maldini led defence:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2214232

1st one he caught Costacurta in possession and intercepted his pass.
2nd goal - again one on one with Costacurta beating him and sliding it past the keeper.

Also a brace against defensive line consisting of Baresi, Maldini, Desailly, etc.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2426513

Which one will it be?
From what I'm gathering you will be compact in your half so probably give us the initiative, or you are going to press high? This is not a tiki taka side, but a direct one that is very comfortable in possession, with individual brilliance to beat the marker and also move the ball quickly to the flanks to do some damage.

We won't have a specific marker on Cruyff, but him and Puskas will operate in very packed space consisting of Bastian holding, a GOAT RB in Djalma and Nesta, whilst of course also Essien minding that side.

Both our full backs are great defensively and you will get little to no support from Tassoti in the attacking phase, whilst Ronaldinho can still cover his flank and not allow Camacho to get doubled.

Last edited:

Jim Beam

Well Batistuta scored a hattrick against Costacurta/Maldini led defence:
https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2214232

Also a brace against defensive line consisting of Baresi, Maldini, Desailly, etc.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielbericht/index/spielbericht/2426513
Yep and he also didn't score in 8 of 11 games against him.

From what I'm gathering you will be compact in your half so probably give us the initiative, or you are going to press high?

We won't have a specific marker on Cruyff, but him and Puskas will operate in very packed space consisting of Bastian holding, a GOAT RB in Djalma and Nesta, whilst of course also Essien minding that side.

Both our full backs are great defensively and you will get little to no support from Tassoti in the attacking phase, whilst Ronaldinho can still cover his flank and not allow Camacho to get doubled.
You won't have a specific marker on Cruyff because you don't have one here. Djalma defensive influence is restricted to minimum as his man will mostly push in the middle, so one of your FB being fantastic defensively is not an issue. If your wingers don't push back that midfield will be... wait I love this word. Steamrolled.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yep and he also didn't score in 8 of 11 games against him.
Playing in a very inferior side. He completely mauled him in that game when they beat them 3-1.

You won't have a specific marker on Cruyff because you don't have one here. Djalma defensive influence is restricted to minimum as his man will mostly push in the middle, so one of your FB being fantastic defensively is not an issue. If your wingers don't push back that midfield will be... wait I love this word. Steamrolled.
Well Pele will track back it was his game and stated numerous times that he felt he was more part of the midfield at his peak rather than a striker.

Ronaldinho will do enough to cover his man and track back. Tassotti influence in attack is very limited.

Batistuta works his socks off - just look at how he caught your man in possession. Garrincha - yes he will have minimal defensive contribution but his presence alone would decrease Facchetti's ability to bomb forward, unless you leave him alone to decide the game.

Not sure how you discount Djalma out of the game because Cruyff will cut in. :D

We don't intend to play tiki taka or Van Gaal boring possession football. What Essien and Schweinsteger will do is to protect the back four which was their forte at their peak. We have the ability to switch the ball to the wings very quickly where we have the advantage, especially if you don't intend to cover your full backs.

How will Puskas and Cruyff exactly will work considering Puskas as inside left was playing with outside left winger and apparently your plan is to have him in much more central role here ?

Jim Beam

Playing in a very inferior side. He completely mauled him in that game when they beat them 3-1.
Great, so 1 game in 13 where Costacurta played as sweeper. You got him.

How will Puskas and Cruyff exactly will work considering Puskas as inside left was playing with outside left winger ?
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think wonderfully as Puskas is a perfect once Cruyff is going centre to receive the ball or drifting wide to take his marker with him allowing space for Cruyff.

Not sure how you discount Djalma out of the game because Cruyff will cut in.
Well, that's the tactics. He can bomb forward I guess.

Well Pele will track back it was his game and stated numerous times that he felt he was more part of the midfield at his peak rather than a striker.
Pele tracking back. That will do.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Two good teams.

- Would have preferred a bit more attacking fullback duo for Enigma.
- Not sold on Cruyff/Puskas dynamic for Jimmy. Esp with Facchetti facing Garrincha and not being very adventurous. Lopsided.

I see Enigma being good in wide areas with Jimmy having a edge in spine, however Enigma has a good enough midfield to make things tough for Jimmy. Seeing Enigma sneaking a win here.

Enigma_87

You know who
Great, so 1 game in 13 where Costacurta played as sweeper. You got him.
Well it's still a valid example. He has scored 6 goals in 11 games against him when both of them have been on the pitch for more than 30 mins and to be honest that's excellent outcome in Serie A in the 90's and especially considering how much better that Milan side was.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think wonderfully as Puskas is a perfect once Cruyff is going centre to receive the ball or drifting wide to take his marker with him allowing space for Cruyff.
Nah I just can't see it. When Puskas moved to Real he had to adjust his game and play as a striker, With Charles here and Cruyff occupying more of a central role it creates overlaps. Puskas himself said he had to adjust his game when he moved to Real and at Hungary he had Czibor who complimented him and freed him in his zone.

Well, that's the tactics. He can bomb forward I guess.
If Facchetti bombs forward he'll meet him. Having Cruyff inside in the most congested place where I have Essien, Figueroa, Nesta and Schweinsteiger covering is probably what I'd take in this situation with no one stretching our defensive line.

Pele tracking back. That will do.
Pele always tracked back, and started from deep. That was his game.

Jim Beam

Well it's still a valid example. He has scored 6 goals in 11 games against him when both of them have been on the pitch for more than 30 mins and to be honest that's excellent outcome in Serie A in the 90's and especially considering how much better that Milan side was.
Glad you took time to look. I love stats though... He also scored in 3 out of 11 while he was more then 30 mins in it.

Nah I just can't see it. When Puskas moved to Real he had to adjust his game and play as a striker, With Charles here and Cruyff occupying more of a central role it creates overlaps. Puskas himself said he had to adjust his game when he moved to Real and at Hungary he had Czibor who complimented him and freed him in his zone.
Yeah, Real were really worse because of it. Am saying that am having a GOAT striker who is happy to play 2nd fiddle as he did in Real with devastating effect.

If Facchetti bombs forward he'll meet him. Having Cruyff inside in the most congested place where I have Essien, Figueroa, Nesta and Schweinsteiger covering is probably what I'd take in this situation with no one stretching our defensive line.
What you'll have is Cruyff and Neeskens causing havoc in the middle and 2 of your defenders not being able to help out.

Pele always tracked back, and started from deep. That was his game.
Aye, but at least he has someone to watch him. Not hail Mary when Cruyff goes forward.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
No, seriously how the rest feel about Cruyff here? All input is welcome.
I feel there is lot of overlaps between Cruyff and Puskas. But then this is Cruyff, so if anyone can make it work, it's him.
More importantly, in context of your team, that left flank is totally unproductive as I see Cruyff operating inside more than as Outside Left, which is not really a good thing.

Jim Beam

I feel there is lot of overlaps between Cruyff and Puskas. But then this is Cruyff, so if anyone can make it work, it's him.
More importantly, in context of your team, that left flank is totally unproductive as I see Cruyff operating inside more than as Outside Left, which is not really a good thing.

Not playing this version...

Enigma_87

You know who
Glad you took time to look. I love stats though... He also scored in 3 out of 11 while he was more then 30 mins in it.
Yeah, me too :) It was the beauty of Serie A, 6 in 11 was actually a great return at the time against a fantastic Milan side.

Van Basten for example scored in 2 games out of 11 against Vierchowod. 3 against Ferri, 3 against Bergomi, etc..

Yeah, Real were really worse because of it. Am saying that am having a GOAT striker who is happy to play 2nd fiddle as he did in Real with devastating effect.
They were a super team indeed but Puskas was the striker of that side and Charles here occupies that position. They also had a natural winger in Gento to stretch the field and open up space. Cruyff and Di Stefano were one of the most dominating figures in the game for better or worse and sometimes sparks and egos stood in the way. Naturally Puskas can modify his game, but in this set up is a bit of one too many overlaps.

What you'll have is Cruyff and Neeskens causing havoc in the middle and 2 of your defenders not being able to help out.
Your midfield base is great, obviously, but our spine is no pushovers either. Essien and Schweinsteiger can hold their own against pretty much anyone and you can hardly better a Figueroa/Nesta pairing.

Besides for the talk about our wingers, having defensive fullbacks also means we won't be so easily stretched, nor caught off guard on counter. It's a team that everyone knows its role and we have natural wingers to do the damage whilst also a great spine.

Aye, but at least he has someone to watch him. Not hail Mary when Cruyff goes forward.
Naturally we have the same against Cruyff and Puskas. They are your best attackers so they would be closely monitored. Just because it's not a man marking game doesn't mean that Djalma defensive game won't come into use and he won't tuck in to cover space if there is no one to stretch the flank.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pele brings work rate, which is often overlooked and we have 2 very defensively sound midfielders in Essien and Schweinsteiger, who covered a lot of distance in their prime.

Also in that 58 side we had young Pele playing as a striker.
True, but I don't think Pele offers enough defensively or probably more that his positioning will be too high to help enough in midfield especially with little help from Garrincha and Ronaldinho. If you had had Rivelino on the left I would have no problem with your front four but I think it relies too much on Pele alone to help Bastian and Essien.

Facchetti is key to providing width on the left, Cruyff always had someone like Krol to stretch that side and against Garrincha I can't see him having such influence in this game. Let's not forget that during the 1970 final he was very restricted in the attacking phase facing Jairzinho and that 1970 side also had Gerson who was far from what Essien would offer in the defensive phase.

Generally I can see us controlling the game, limiting the opposition in terms of chances. Our defence is better and our attack too in terms of individual brilliance.
The Facchetti Jairzinho argument is a good one. Having Facchetti makes his left flank work. In a way Beam's left flank is similar to the Cole, Pires and Henry left flank at Arsenal. @Jim Beam How much do you intend Facchetti to attack in your counter attacks?

Enigma_87

You know who

Pele against Euro sides. Including against Facchetti's Inter and Beckenbauer Germany(features that special nutmeg against der Kaiser).

Naturally having Rijkaard stacking against him is a good counter as any, but Pele was just too good to be negated with a single effort, which would be an uphill battle even for Rijkaard. He will still put his stamp on the game and if Beckenbauer steps up to help I like how Batigol would stack up against Costacurta.

Jim Beam

Cruyff and Di Stefano were one of the most dominating figures in the game for better or worse and sometimes sparks and egos stood in the way.
Stood in a way of best era of both Ajax and Real Madrid.

Will gladly go down, but can this nonsense stop. Di Stefano is the most complete player ever, Cruyff very close imo.

It is in line of Bastian stopping Messi with this team and people have hesitation putting him against him.

Look at this shit Messi was surrounded.

Jim Beam

The Facchetti Jairzinho argument is a good one. Having Facchetti makes his left flank work. In a way Beam's left flank is similar to the Cole, Pires and Henry left flank at Arsenal. @Jim Beam How much do you intend Facchetti to attack in your counter attacks?
That team was set-up to defend, this to dominate. No answer to Beckenbauer going in the middle, no answer to Cruyff drifting in the middle.

You know what is greatest thing about Beckenbauer. If you have the lead he would put the game in 2nd gear calming everyone. If he was behind he would push Facchetti at times even at cost of Garrincha. Like he was a manager on that field. And then you have Cruyff upfront.

We would sneak this @Edgar Allan Pillow

Enigma_87

You know who
True, but I don't think Pele offers enough defensively or probably more that his positioning will be too high to help enough in midfield especially with little help from Garrincha and Ronaldinho. If you had had Rivelino on the left I would have no problem with your front four but I think it relies too much on Pele alone to help Bastian and Essien.
The only one on the team that is renown for not having a good work rate in our team is Garrincha. Ronaldinho still covered some defensive functions and considering he has Tassotti to mind here I don't think it would be a big factor. I can understand if we were facing someone like Dani Alves alongside a winger, but if Tassotti decides to bomb forward Ronaldinho would eat that space catching him on the backfoot. I can understand your stance in terms of winger defensive functions, but we aren't playing a high line or high press that would require everyone to contribute. Camacho and Djalma are top defenders first and foremost and they will still have an yard or two to spare if we are caught on the backfoot.

Nesta is one of the fastest CB's around and Figueroa, well, he was physical freak that also combined a fantastic reading of the game. Generally I can agree if we had 2 attacking full backs, but having two balanced/defensive ones balances our team and doesn't make it that susceptible to counters or being caught high up.

For all their virtues, Puskas and Charles weren't that fast without the ball, I'd have our back line well prepared when it comes to chase a long ball. The only speed merchant is Jinky and Camacho had experience with Best and did quite well too.

Besides when you look at how the game will pan out we will have more players behind the ball on counters whilst also having a well spread attacking shape that can stretch the opposition and cause damage.

Agreed. Which means Facchetti having to contribute almost like a winger to make that left flank functional and whilst he was very quick of the mark, leaving Garrincha wide open numerous times will be well enough to make a difference.

Costacurta is also not the perfect CB to cover for Facchetti if Garrincha breaks through.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

Will gladly go down, but can this nonsense stop. Di Stefano is the most complete player ever, Cruyff very close imo.

It is in line of Bastian stopping Messi with this team and people have hesitation putting him against him.

Bastian was colossal that game and the Argie team wasn't great but was very organised and difficult to beat.

That German team wasn't the best either mind.

Enigma_87

You know who

Cruyff and Di Stefano is a beat old argument I know but it is what it is. They played in an era when they were often a one man team. Even Messi from your example relied a lot more on team effort and entire system like tiki taka, complimented with two all time greats (Xavi, Iniesta) to create a dynasty.

By no means Schweinsteiger can cancel Cruyff out on his own, or I imply that, but then Cruyff coming inside is really good for us having two double pivots and 2 fantastic CB's in Figueroa and Nesta. That would allow us to leave a lot less space for them to operate and stay compact.

With no one to stretch us on the flank on that side would be a lot easier to defend against, considering they have to dribble through all time greats like what is on show here.

And yes that Argie team was kinda shit, but Kramer/ Kroos midfield with even Kramer going off after 30 minutes was even worse. Bastian was the only CM left on show and he ran it throughout 120 mins.

Jim Beam

Bastian was colossal that game and the Argie team wasn't great but was very organised and difficult to beat.

That German team wasn't the best either mind.
It had 35%possession. Messi living on the scraps.

Can we pause somehow and look at that shit behind him?

Enigma_87

You know who
It had 35%possession. Messi living on the scraps.

Can we pause somehow and look at that shit behind him?
A lot of credit should go to Bastian though.

Ozil and Kroos in front of him - neither can be relied upon in a midfield battle, 2 wingers from 30 mins on and 36 years old Klose to help him out..

Jim Beam

Cruyff and Di Stefano is a beat old argument I know but it is what it is. They played in an era when they were often a one man team. Even Messi from your example relied a lot more on team effort and entire system like tiki taka, complimented with two all time greats (Xavi, Iniesta) to create a dynasty.

By no means Schweinsteiger can cancel Cruyff out on his own, or I imply that, but then Cruyff coming inside is really good for us having two double pivots and 2 fantastic CB's in Figueroa and Nesta. That would allow us to leave a lot less space for them to operate and stay compact.

With no one to stretch us on the flank on that side would be a lot easier to defend against, considering they have to dribble through all time greats like what is on show here.

And yes that Argie team was kinda shit, but Kramer/ Kroos midfield with even Kramer going off after 30 minutes was even worse. Bastian was the only CM left on show and he ran it throughout 120 mins.
You have Messi in a new draft so am actually helping you.

How can anyone look at that team and make it as Bastian making one of GOAT defenders performances is beyond me.

Enigma_87

You know who

How can anyone look at that team and make it as Bastian making one of GOAT defenders performances is beyond me.
It is still WC final with Bastian being the only CM in the German team for pretty much the whole game. So yes it was a fantastic effort.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

nah, messi is mine he has didi

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
No, seriously how the rest feel about Cruyff here? All input is welcome.
I've only seen a few games for Ajax/NL, but he popped up everywhere, and played through the middle a lot. So for me it's the arrows (and then some) rather than his original position on the sheet. That makes Facchetti the actual man on the left. I can imagine Cruijff, Puskas, Neeskens & Facchetti having nice positional interplay in the final third rather than getting in each others' way. Johnstone as a true winger on the other side is a great complement. Can't say anything about how Charles might fit in, know too little about the player. So ignoring that, stunning offense.

Bits and pieces:
  • I agree that Batistuta's power can seriously trouble Beam's central defense. If Pele can shake off his CM cover from time to time, or one of Dinho or Garrincha breaks through on the wings, it might get hairy.
  • Enigma's central defense is ridiculously good, while Beam's CM is of similar stature.
  • Peak BS + peak Essien is pretty great too, but Cruijff, Puskas, Beckenbauer & Beam's CM screams dominance in the center. I agree Pele will be something of a defensive factor, but imo not a major one.
  • On the Messi/Schweinsteiger argument: I already stated elsewhere that I feel there's a bit too much hero folklore around this game - Schweinsteiger was really good, but he didn't stop Messi alone. The team as a whole often gets too little credit in all of this, imo. But it's been ~6 years and I'd have to rewatch the game for anything really substantial.
@Jim Beam
I see rapid counters over Dinho & Garrincha as a main threat. How do you see offensive/defensive balance on Facchetti's side? Looks like he's the width provider in offense and sole cover against Garrincha?

Last edited:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
My general rule of thumb with these drafts is, if EAP finds something super wrong, it probably is spot on tactically.

The Cruyff-Puskas-Facchetti axis is beautiful.

Puskas can position himself leftwards or inwards based on Cruyff's roaming and Facchetti can overlap. Yea, it's fecking Garrincha there, but it's also fecking Facchetti on the other side who probably is the most balanced leftback ahead of even Maldini.

Puskas especially has played his whole life complimenting Di Stefano/Hidegkuti, who more or less resemble Cruyff when it comes to movement and roaming.