Mike's Sheep Draft R1 - Enigma vs. Isotope

With players at their career peak, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

Enigma Tactics

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Style:
Quick transitions. Recover the ball quickly, start counters and aim for the goal. Utilize the wings.

Player Profiles:
GK: Pat Jennings
- compete keeper. Commanding in the air and great reflexes.
LB: Jose Antonio Camacho - balanced full back.
RB: Djalma Santos - defensive full back.
CB: Elias Figueroa - ball playing complete defender, start attacks from the back.
CB: Sol Campbell - physical stopper.
DM/CM: Cornel Dinu - defensive holder. Protect the back four and link the defence with midfield.
CM/B2B: Michael Essien - defensive B2B. Keep things compact and simple with his passing game and link midfield and attack.
AM/Free role: Ronaldinho - advanced playmaker, free role.
LW: Raheem Sterling - left winger, add numbers to the midfield when we are off the ball.
RW: Garrincha - right winger, use his pace and trickery to create numerical advantage.
CF: Gabriel Batistuta - center forward. Pressure the defenders, first line of defence and put the ball in the net.

Defence: Compact defence bossed by Figueroa. Djalma will provide cover at the back and free Garrincha to do his thing.

Midfield: Dinu will act as a holder and launch quick counters looking for Ronaldinho or the wings, whilst providing protection for the back four. Essien in his peak Chelsea days will act as a defensive B2B, covering every blade of grass.

Short highlights of Dinu as I think the only one lesser known player in the line up:

Attack: Blend of creativity, trickery, pace and deadly finishing ability, the attach has it all with Joga Bonito oomph of Ronaldinho, Garrincha and Sterling providing the ammo for one of the best finishers in Batistuta.

Key Strengths: Garrincha and Djalma Santos is a proven combo and probably the best right flank in history. Ronaldinho in free role hovering between the lines would utilize the space between opposition defence and midfield. Sterling, Garrincha and Ronaldinho is a terrific platform for Batistuta to shine and will provide him a lot of chances. The defensive line is marshalled by one of the best defenders in history in Figueroa alongside a physical stopper in Campbell who is elite defender himself. Both full backs are one of the most outstanding markers and defensively sound full backs in the game.

Isotope Tactics

Strong Points

- GOAT defensive and attacking balanced fullbacks. Compatible centerbacks: stopper and ball-playing. The "Big Dane" Schmeichel completed the set. Blanc and Tresor ranked Top 6 in France Player of the Century, above any other centerbacks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Player_of_the_Year#Player_of_the_Century
- Strong defensive midfielders with playmaking abilities, where Paulo Sousa as excellent long-ball passer.
- Superior goalscorers, with Dixie Dean (390 goals/447 games) and Rummenigge (220 goals/424 games).
- Superior midfield battle and creativity.

Tactic
Key in attack is Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. He'll be a floating inside-forward, capable of both stretching play, creative hub, and being a potent goalscoring threat as well. He's partnering Dixie Dean who was a complete center forward with his movement, while being as deadly as Muller.

"Dixie Dean, a wizard with his feet, but just as deadly with his head, as strong as a house, and just as hard to knock off the ball, as clean in his play as a new pin, a great sportsman, and a trier to the end. Dixie was always a tough handful, not only because he was so big and fast, but because he used to roam out on to the wings, taking the centre-half with him, and, frequently, slipping him, making it extremely hard for the rest of the defence to keep some sort of order." ~Eddie Hapgood, the Arsenal full-back

Two of the best wingers in the game are Boniek and Julinho. They are fast, tricky, and also flexible to go inside as second striker or helping midfielder. I like how @Moby described him which painted Boniek as hardworker creative force, more than just pure winger:

..he was primarily a creative player, so much so that the Juve president made the statement that whoever plays next to him will be the Serie A top goalscorer as a result of his exquisite ability on the ball in terms of dribbling and passing. That statement was true both at Juve with Platini and then again when Boniek moved to Roma. https://www.redcafe.net/threads/sheep-draft-r1-harms-vs-arbitrium-voting-closed.443507/page-3

Midfield and defence are self explanatory. In Paulo Sousa, I have player who can turn defence into attack with his long passing ability to the quick and direct wingers and forwards.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
If we had seeding, the semifinalists would have been 4 of Isotope, Enigma, Jim, Pat, Sjor. Terribly unfortunate draws.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like how @Moby described him which painted Boniek as hardworker creative force, more than just pure winger:
I'm pretty sure that he's yet to respond to me on that point... it was a very weird statement that said that Boniek was a playmaker that, above all, can't play with other playmakers iirc. Although Boniek was, of course, more than a pure winger, but I'd say that his passing was not his truly outstanding ability (which would be his dribbling and incredible spatial awareness and intelligence on the pitch).

harms

Staff
It's pretty much impossible to separate the teams. And that's saying something - after a quick glance at Enigma's line up I was sure that this would be a walkover.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
It's pretty much impossible to separate the teams. And that's saying something - after a quick glance at Enigma's line up I was sure that this would be a walkover.
How would Schellinger do against Garrincha? IIRC Schellinger wasn't the most agile player

harms

Staff
Garrincha is quite likely to have an upper hand in any duel. Maybe not against Maldini, but who knows, really.

edit: wow, didn’t expect that gap.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Garrincha is quite likely to have an upper hand in any duel. Maybe not against Maldini, but who knows, really.

edit: wow, didn’t expect that gap.
This is like United vs Burnley. Smash and grap.

Enigma_87

You know who
If we had seeding, the semifinalists would have been 4 of Isotope, Enigma, Jim, Pat, Sjor. Terribly unfortunate draws.
Aye, was a pretty unfortunate draw.

@Isotope has built an excellent team and especially for a sheep draft can't really spot a glaring weakness.

Both of us field the same formation and close tactics so probably down to individual personnel and I feel we have the upper hand in more areas in the pitch, with obviously Garrincha and Ronaldinho being key to that.