Jones, arguably the way he is looking, could be our best ever player
Sir Bobby Charlton said:
Phil Jones reminds me of Duncan Edwards with his power and build
Fabio Capello said:
He reminds me of Franco Baresi and Fernando Hierro

TEAM EAP

Formation: 3-4-3

Strategy: Score more than you concede.

Tactics: Ball goes into opponent's goal.

Why I'll win: Let's just say the Ref's kids are going to a good college.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
So you had to play 4 out of the 5 sheep and yet you decided to play all five of them? Classic Edgar :lol:

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So Edgar has the better team imo but has pat in goals :lol:

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
On the teams, quite dissapointed with my team. Probably my worst one drafted here. I was lucky to get Charlton and Hamrin in a round 3 or else it would have been worse.

I considered playing Carlos Alberto at CB and Phil Jones at RB if I ran into a tougher opponent.

I regret picking Romario instead of Cruyff because I got Blokhin later. Cruyff and Charlton creating for Blokhin and Hamrin would have been Carnage.

But I am not going to be winning this draft even if I had Cruyff, so might as well have stopped a juggernaut.

I was pleasantly surprised reading about Clough's playing career and those are some terrific stats albeit in the second division. I'd recommend checking it out in case you are an enthusiast of Clough the manager. A little trivia, his Forest captain Stuart Pearce is playing alongside him here.

On team Edgar, I like the 4-3-3 I posted in the main thread better simply because it gives enough space for each of Iniesta/Modric/Kroos to express themselves. It looks a bit crowded in the centre at the moment, limiting their output. Of course Madrid did play the diamond with Isco ahead of them, but he is very different to Iniesta.

All in all, the worst draft game here in ages probably.

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Imagine this against Shevchenko....

Why does this episode is being constantly brought up as an example of bad defending? It's funny as feck, but if he would do exactly this against Shevchenko, he would still clear the ball away and I doubt that Sheva would be able to control it.

I'm sorry for being overly serious, but it always baffled me that this episode isn't cheered as a funny but, in the end, effective way to defend, but used as a stick to beat Jones up with (like there aren't enough of actual comical errors in his infamous career).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Why does this episode is being constantly brought up as an example of bad defending?
It isn't really bad defending given the context. It's just typical Jones defending: last ditch stuff that really shouldn't happen, but if any player finds himself in that situation most would not do what Jones actually did (which amounts to very brave last ditch defending - in a different scenario, involving a different player, it might be hailed as brilliant).