Mike's Sheep Draft R1 - Peak Beam vs Pat Mustard

With players at their career peak, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

vs

Beam
Tactics: 4-4-2 with flyin' wingers!!

Strategy
: Compact, well-organized at all time, making it hard to break in the defensive phase with midfielders and wingers supporting both phase of the play.
Once ball is won, the team will be quick from the blocks, spreading the opponent on the flanks with two proper wingers extremely dangerous 1 on 1 and with a purpose to make a field as big as possible in the attacking phase having opponent to deal with 2 strikers against 2 defenders and making room for an incoming midfielder, Neeskens, Stielike or Der Keizer from the deep.

Team characteristics

The team has four aces in the main positions, GOAT in the likes of Puskas, Facchetti, Neskens and Beckenbauer organizing the defence and team at all time.

But, the proper intent once I got John Charles was go 4-4-2 with making the team dangerous in the air with Charles being targeted by Michel (the closest thing you have to Beckham) and Barnes. Also being supported by a fantastic striker alongside him (Puskas) and a proper threat from midfield which will make use of those wingers stretching the field. The main goal being making the team dangerous in the air, GOAT supporting striker, wingers and upcoming players from the deep.

Michel in his pomp is exactly kind of player you want to feed Charles type of striker and Puskas alongside of him.

Barnes being the same manace from the other side.

The hardworking midfield who are aggressive with one of them being more of an organizer and staying deep in Stielike (with an added bonus of covering for Franz when he goes forward), great b2b in Neeskens who will add steel, but also much needed goal-threat upfront. And in the end, I needed a 2nd striker who will feed of the main one with a primary target always being one of the greatest of all time in Ferenc Puskas who also has experience playing along Kocsis type of striker in the national team.

"Feed him and goals will come" - Jim Beam, January 22, 2020.

530 games with 5333 goa... (sorry, 533 goals) and 85 in 85 for Hungary.
"If I say Hungary, I say Puskas," "If you go to Venezuela or Naples or Australia and you say Hungary, people would say Puskas. That says it all."
Great team from Pat btw., a match which I would have like to avoid in the 1st round (along with enigma and sjor), but here we are. Good luck to him and his much beloved cat.

Mustard
Formation: 4-3-3 with moderate defensive line.

Defence: Three-time IFHHS Goalkeeper of the Year Zenga is shielded by a tough-as-teak CB pairing whose defensive nous and physicality match up well to John Charles (and Taylor if he plays). Demyanenko's freakish stamina and excellent two-way game will enable to reprise the one-man flank role he performed with such distinction for Dynano Kiev and the USSR, while on the other flank the dogged McGrain will play a bit more conservatively in light of the unpleasant Facchetti/Barnes double whammy that cruel old Beam is hitting him with. He'll still support Waddle to an extent, but he can't be hitting the opposition corner flag with his overlaps on every attack.

Midfield: My favorite component of the team. Souness is right in his wheelhouse as the most defensive-minded of the trio, protecting the CBs and kickstarting our attacks when we regain possession. Similarly, much of Brady's best work came from the left channels, where he dropped deep to support the defensive effort and offered immense quality and creativity going forward. Falcao glues things together with his superlative all-around game.

Attack: Baggio plays as a second striker starting nominally from the left, with Waddle tending towards a more orthodox winger role. Nordahl leads the line , and is not only a prolific goalscorer but also the sort of bruising line-leader that Baggio tended to dovetail with so well - see his partnerships with the likes of Kennet Andersson, Dario Hubner and Nordahl on steroids poor man's Nordahl Christian Vieri.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Thank you bepo. Good luck @Pat_Mustard as already said.

Baggio should be in the hole behind Nordahl imho, as that's the best way to drag one of my defender out. More then happy for him coming from the left considering Demyanenko will have to be careful with overloading his side. Going 4-3-3, while having numbers in the midfield will let Franz in the middle more easily once my team is in possession. Lovely team though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This is quite close and those center backs & Zenga is a great counter to Beam's crossing strategy, but I think that the GOAT lure would probably end up being the deciding argument for me. I also have a feeling that it would be a night to forget for McGrain.

Jim Beam

Uli Stielike was meant to be a natural successor to Franz. Which is a non-sense as you can't never be Franz. But, they played together with Stielike in midfield and this is a result in the last few games of Der Keizer career with Germany, with Franz being at the back.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/uli-s...ium=2&wettbewerb=&liga=&verein=&pos=&status=0

Not bad despite some questionable teams, but conceding one in 7 while scoring 18 is not too bad.

Jim Beam

This is quite close and those center backs & Zenga is a great counter to Beam's crossing strategy, but I think that the GOAT lure would probably decide my vote here. I also have a feeling that it would be a night to forget for McGrain.
It is extremely close tbf. There were like 6 players in Pat team I also considered. But, in terms of my front 6 I would only replace Falcao for Neeskens if I had to.

Jim Beam

This is quite close and those center backs & Zenga is a great counter to Beam's crossing strategy, but I think that the GOAT lure would probably end up being the deciding argument for me. I also have a feeling that it would be a night to forget for McGrain.
It is not just crossing strategy btw. It is to highlight Charles who was one of the best in that department. But, having Puskas along with him makes a team not so one dimensional. Godin is a fantastic defender, but he struggled with Ronaldo heading power all the time.

The key was to put a second striker behind him who will add another dimension to the attack and there are no better then Puskas. A roaming forward who will feed of the main striker. In modern game, yeah you would put Puskas upfront considering his qualities, but in a draft game cosidering his predatory instincts can't think of anyone better then Puskas as a supporting striker. Honved Puskas that is, as Real one was already in a sausage factory.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It is not just crossing strategy btw. It is to highlight Charles who was one of the best in that department. But, having Puskas along with him makes a team not so one dimensional. Godin is a fantastic defender, but he struggled with Ronaldo heading power all the time.
I mean that this particular aspect of your attack is pretty well covered. Not Puskas, who is in the perfect position to win the game here.

Jim Beam

And last, Beara (for you your info @GodShaveTheQueen) was so stubborn he didn't want a wall during free-kicks as he was damn sure no one could beat him. A first star as a goal-keeper in Yugoslavia. You know when all kids wanted to be attackers, he was the first real star being a goalkeeper. My grandpa wanted to be a goalkeeper, shame he couldn't keep a bottle in his hand.

0:37 please...

Jim Beam

I mean that this particular aspect of your attack is pretty well covered. Not Puskas, who is in the perfect position to win the game here.
Aye, it is. It is a fantastic pair of defenders he manage to get in the last few rounds just clearing that particular goal threat. I concur in that regard.

Jim Beam

My opinion is that Baresi was the best ever defender, nothing will change in that sense. But, at the very same time, Beckenbauer was everything we paid for Maguire and a little more. To cut it short, he was really good.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Both great teams but Jim's is better for me. While the GOAT appeal does play a part, structurally, his team looks better as well.

For Pat, I didn't particularly like the CB pairing like in the last draft. Still would have won against most other opponents.

Enigma_87

You know who
Two of the top teams from the drafting stage.

Like them both and it's very tough to separate.

Probably would just give the edge to Jim due to Beckenbauer factor at this point.

I don't rate Waddle particularly much, but rest of the Pat's team is looking great. Unlucky for both teams to meet this early really.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Not much to say here really. I think I'd have beaten most of the other teams we've seen in the first round but Mr Bean clearly has the best team in the draft so far imo.

I hate coming up against Beckenbauer but two things that I'd like in my team when I'm facing him are a CF who could make life uncomfortable for him aerially and in physical duels, which I have (although Butcher is a good stylistic foil to Kaiser in that regard), and attackers suited to pressing him to mitigate his influence in possession, which I don't really have unfortunately.

Thank you bepo. Good luck @Pat_Mustard as already said.

Baggio should be in the hole behind Nordahl imho, as that's the best way to drag one of my defender out. More then happy for him coming from the left considering Demyanenko will have to be careful with overloading his side. Going 4-3-3, while having numbers in the midfield will let Franz in the middle more easily once my team is in possession. Lovely team though.
I did mull over playing 4-4-1-1 instead as I much prefer Baggio positioned centrally:

Brady in the Zidane wide playmaker role, Waddle as Figo and Demyanenko as Roberto Carlos in the Real Galacticos-era formation but decided against it for a few reasons:

- Didn't really want to match your formation as you have the edge in GOAT quality, and with Michel grafting more than Waddle and Kaiser obviously far better at advancing into midfield than my CBs I felt I needed the three man midfield to avoid getting overwhelmed there.
- Souness as the holding midfielder is becoming a bit of a pet project of mine, and I felt it was important to play him in a three man midfield to at least limit the space Puskas has to operate in.
- Waddle is better further up the park with a bit less defensive responsibility, whereas Brady was a natural midfielder who would drop back to help defensively without issue.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Even in a sheep draft Pat still manages to build a very distinctively Pat team. Not much in it quality wise, but there’s always something persuasive about a spine of GOATs in complementary partnerships.

For Pat, I didn't particularly like the CB pairing like in the last draft. Still would have won against most other opponents.
Looks cracking to me, what’s your concern with it?

Pat_Mustard

Aye, that Facchetti and Barnes combo isn't a nice assignment for any RB. Facchetti remains a bit of an enigma for me and tbh I don't really like using him as a classic overlapping FB/sole width provider despite doing so several times. This looks like the most effective use of him to me, with Barnes able to brutalise the opposition FB on the outside and Facchetti popping up on the underlap and ending up in weird, threatening positions.

Pat_Mustard

I wanted to highlight Brady as he was a majestic footballer who doesn't appear that often in drafts.

This match is a good example of how at ease he was playing in the left-sided midfield role. Interesting to see him acquitting himself so well against a Platini side, as Platini would eventually usurp him at Juventus:

Really well-made compilation of him ruining us for Arsenal in the 1979 FA Cup Final. His creativity won the match for Arsenal but the commentator repeatedly highlighted the excellent shift he put in defensively as well:

He alluded to that himself in interviews, pointing out that in Italy he actually had to adapt to doing less work defensively:

I played a completely different game. Trapattoni would say to me that he didn’t want me running up and down the pitch. In England I would have been considered a Hoddle or a Brooking – who wasn’t doing his work. But in Italy that was my role. Trequartista. No 10.
MOTM performance against USSR:

Enigma_87

You know who
I wanted to highlight Brady as he was a majestic footballer who doesn't appear that often in drafts.

This match is a good example of how at ease he was playing in the left-sided midfield role. Interesting to see him acquitting himself so well against a Platini side, as Platini would eventually usurp him at Juventus:

Really well-made compilation of him ruining us for Arsenal in the 1979 FA Cup Final. His creativity won the match for Arsenal but the commentator repeatedly highlighted the excellent shift he put in defensively as well:

He alluded to that himself in interviews, pointing out that in Italy he actually had to adapt to doing less work defensively:

MOTM performance against USSR:

Great footballer!

Had him in the Pre premier league draft and build around him as main playmaker:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pre...emi-finals-tuppet-vs-enigma-red-viper.438353/

only to be outdone by team Tuppet in the semis. :(