Mike's Sheep Draft R1 - The Stain vs. Marty

With players at their career peak, who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michaelf7777777

(∪。∪)。。。zzz

The Stain Tactics

Using these tactics was never the idea so it's up to you if my players can pull it off. Was going to play 4-3-3 but things happened and here we are.

Tactical instructions:

All out attack, intensive pressing, trying to play it direct as much as possible but obviously it will be heavily possession based. This needs a high defensive line and us playing the offside trap so this we'll do.

Player instructions:

GK:

Planicka, one of the best keepers from the olden times. Due to his relatively short stature, he developed his jumping and coming off the line. Not your typical line keeper from back then, he was a commanding penalty box keeper. A forward thinking keeper like him would do well sweeping in front of the box and here he'll have to do just that. Thank feck Marty doesn't have Sarosi.

Libero:

Rune Braseth. A world class libero several seasons in the BuLi. Will try and stay in line with his fellow defenders but is the main man to sweep up balls in behind. He was bloody fast which is handy. He'll bring the ball out of defense and look to hoof Koeman like balls in the wingers direction at times. Mainly we want to play the ball short so he will typically look for the CB's and more often than not, Busquets.

Wide centre backs:

Carvalho is suited to possession based footy, not necessarily cause he did it under Mourinho but because he was good at it.

Riccardo Ferri was more of a stopper and a good one at that. Dunno enough about him but he must have been at least decent on the ball considering he played next to Baresi for Italy.

DM:

Busquets will do his thing and drop into defense at times.

CM's:

Touré tasked with a more attacking boxbox role to draw out that 20-goals-playing-in-a-double-pivot-role-for-City-in-their-13/14 PL-winning-run form.

Mendieta will make runs of course but tasked mainly with a deeper lying play maker role.

AM:

You know, i think my self picked semi sheep Chris Sutton could do a decent job playing the Bakero role. Just stand with his back to goal in the hole and play simple passes to then make the odd runs and get his head on the ball for an occasional goal.

Sócrates can do that and much more.

Wingers:

Rivaldo and David Silva will begin by staying wide and then drifting inside, making runs in behind or going direct for the goal.

False 9:

Pelé will play a Laudrup type role and be free to do what he wants. He will pull defenders out of position for others to run into. The front four is very fluid but
Pelé is the focal point for our attacks.

Marty Tactics

My team is set up with versatile players all the way through. Whilst I’ve set up with a back 4, Briegel and Pirri can both step into midfield at any point to switch to a 3-5-2. If Briegel steps up, Pirri sits in centre of the back 3, If Pirri supports Makelele then Cannavaro is absolutely capable of controlling the backline.

Makelele’s job is simple…to sit in front of the backline and break up the attacks and midfield runs. Coluna (one of the best box-to-box midfielders ever) will provide energy in abundance and with Jinky Johnstone’s trickery on the right and Schiaffino on the left (who was also a very energetic winger that tracked back), my midfield is solid.

Up front I have a goal machine in Kubala and one of the best number 10’s in the business. This formation will certainly favour a second striker in the Keegan mould, with his energy, willingness to run the channels and compete for every ball. With his energy, vision and link play alongside Schiaffino and Johnstone, there won’t be any problem with supply of chances to Kubala.

And just how good was Kubala:

When he [Kubala] was on the pitch we had the feeling that we couldn’t lose. He dominated the game and dominated the ball, created an atmosphere of optimism, a winner’s mentality… he transformed football — Gustau Biosca

Ladislao ‘László’ Kubala is one of Barça’s best players ever, arguably forming the top three with Johan Cruijff and Lionel Messi. The write-up in full here….

As Alfredo di Stefano, said: "Kubala was one of the best there has ever been. His game was pure, crystalline, a real joy for the fans. What I remember is his spirit of comradeship, the loyalty he showed as a friend."

The Stain’s team will likely shape up as a 3-5-2, which is fine. I don’t see where the blistering pace comes from in his team to get in behind my defence. He’ll be playing the tika taka possession football which is fine for periods but with Coluna and Keegan’s work rate align with Makelele’s positional play he’ll find it hard to break down. Of course his overrated striker might score one but that’s it! Haha.

Marty1968

Ok so, let’s look at this one step at a time…

Who has the better keeper? I’d put Shilton in the top 5/6 all time. Planicka probably features in the top 10-15.

Better defence? I’d rate Cannavaro, Pirri, Burgnich and Briegel above any of Stains back 3. Don’t take my word for it though…

Cannavaro is 11th on this list, compared to Carvalho (80th), Ferri (doesn’t even make the list), Bratseth (58th)

https://www.xtratime.org/threads/the-100-greatest-central-defenders-of-all-time.268164/

Or here… Cannavaro is 16th on this list, Pirri 19th on sweeper list - compared to) Ferri (37th), Bratseth 45th, Carvalho 53rd

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-100-greatest-centre-backs-of-all-time.1317884/page-5

http://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-100-greatest-sweepers-of-all-time.1353473/page-5

Coluna is one of the best centre mids of his generation. The same can’t be said for Mendieta or Toure.

That being said Stains top 3 are very potent but, equally so is Kubala, Keegan and Johnstone.

My point about pace of Stains team stands and not sure how they get in behind my back line.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Went with Marty.

The idea of Stain's team is really nice with some great fits but there are big problems in the back 4.

Can't see Carvalho working in that role. Ferri is just about okay as a wide CB.

And then, Busquets is a weak choice. With an attacking setup like this, you really need someone very strong defensively and with the energy to shuttle up and down into the midfield and defense regularly like Rijkaard used to in Van Gaal's 3-4-3 at Ajax. Can't see Busquets excelling at that.

On team Marty, the defense is fantastic and that is what won my vote. Love the Pirri pick as the sweeper. Cannavaro is a good fit against Pele, Makelele against Socrates and then good fullback choices who can tuck in at ease against the inside cutting wide men in Stain's team. Kubala is not playing in his natural position, but I think its workable. The attack on the whole seems pretty neat.

Marty1968

Kubala is not playing in his natural position, but I think its workable. The attack on the whole seems pretty neat.
Yeah it's not ideal but Kubala, Keegan and Schiaffino can all switch at any moment and be comfortable. This will make life a real nightmare for Stains defense and his only real option would be to drop Mendieta back into a wing back role to help out.

Marty1968

Ballon D'Or Contenders and winners all throughout my team...

Kubala 5th (1957),

Keegan 4th (1976), 2nd (1977), 1st (1978), 1st (1979)

Johnstone 3rd (1967)
, 24th (1968), 23rd (1969),

Schiaffino 13th (1956), 14th (1957),

Coluna 21st (1963), 17th, (1965), 13th (1966),

Cannavaro 1st (2006),

Pirri 10th (1967), 10th (1968),

Makelele 13th (2005),

Shilton 20th (1977), 10th (1978), 27th (1980), 21st (1985), 21st (1987), 5th (1989)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
changed my vote, originally went with Stain but scrappy made some good points

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I honestly don't see a problem in Caravalho. He was a complete as a defender, classy on the ball as well off it. Timing, good in possession, ability to get ball out of defence, he's a very underrated ball player. Not where he played, but I think he'll do justice here. On other hand, Ferri's suitability for high line possession game seems questionable considering his era and background as a defence first player. Overall not perfect, but still a workable defence.

Not a fan of Marty's attack and "flexible" wouldn't really the word of my choice. Makelele would be overrun in the midfield. The players have good workrate, but apart from Coluna, they are not really midfielders who'll provide consistent support for Makelele.

Stain's team through with weak defence will dominate possession and has a more streamlined attack with a superior midfield. Marty will definitely score, but Stain will score more. It'll be a shootout.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Makelele would be overrun in the midfield. The players have good workrate, but apart from Coluna, they are not really midfielders who'll provide consistent support for Makelele.
If only Makelele had the experience of playing in such teams :angel: