Milan Škriniar

beingshe7don

Milan Škriniar (Slovak pronunciation: [ˈmilan ˈʃkɾiɲɪ̯aɾ]; born 11 February 1995) is a Slovak professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for Italian football club Inter Milan and the Slovak national team. He was named Slovakia's best U21 player for 2016, receiving the Peter Dubovský Award.

Date of birth11 February 1995 (age 25)
Place of birthŽiar nad Hronom, Slovakia
Height1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)
Playing position(s)Centre-back

Škriniar has been described as a defender who is "a strong tackler who is quick to make clearances". A natural centre-back, he can also be deployed as a defensive midfielder where he also produced outstanding performances with under-21 side. His former youth manager said of him: He [Škriniar] has always been the leader on and off the pitch. He has been described in the media as the successor to former Liverpool icon Martin Škrtel in Slovakia's defensive line. He has also drawn praise from several Italian pundits for his positional sense, as well as his ability in the air, and in one on one situations.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-utd-put-58m-table-22341841

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blo...-united-make-65m-euro-bid-for-inters-skriniar

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yep, haven't been impressed with him this year for Inter or Slovakia.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
After a quick scan, a lot of the complaints seem to say he was great for them in a back 4, and just isn't cut out to be one of the wide CBs in Conte's system and gets found out against pace on the wing.

I'd guess he'd go back to looking very good again in a 4 with cover from either Shaw or Wan-Bissaka.
If he struggles for pace then coming to play alongside Maguire might not be the best idea. I have only seen him play 6 times or so and while I can understand him being rated above the standard CB's in Italy, he just looked ordinary to me. I've seen him described as good on the ball but all he seem to do is clear it out quickly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
After a quick scan, a lot of the complaints seem to say he was great for them in a back 4, and just isn't cut out to be one of the wide CBs in Conte's system and gets found out against pace on the wing.

I'd guess he'd go back to looking very good again in a 4 with cover from either Shaw or Wan-Bissaka.
I'll be scared to pay around 60m or 70m on centre back who are being excused not be able to play in back 3 but better in back 4.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
If he struggles for pace then coming to play alongside Maguire might not be the best idea. I have only seen him play 6 times or so and while I can understand him being rated above the standard CB's in Italy, he just looked ordinary to me. I've seen him described as good on the ball but all he seem to do is clear it out quickly.
Yeah, I don't think Škriniar is bad, but I'd be looking for somebody with a bit more pace as well. I like the look of Ruben Dias at Benfica for the spot myself.

I'll be scared to pay around 60m or 70m on centre back who are being excused not be able to play in back 3 but better in back 4.
To be fair we did have years of "Pogba can't play in a midfield 2" threads ourselves and I think we were justified paying a few bob for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah, I don't think Škriniar is bad, but I'd be looking for somebody with a bit more pace as well. I like the look of Ruben Dias at Benfica for the spot myself.

To be fair we did have years of "Pogba can't play in a midfield 2" threads ourselves and I think we were justified paying a few bob for him.
Pogba plays in midfield 2 with France. I never understand the BS about him can't play in midfield 2.

jamesjimmybyrondean

There really aren't any CBs out there available to pair with Maguire worth spending money on.
Skrinniar - underperformed this season and is not suited to partner Maguire with his slow pace.
Upamecano - Young but Still raw and injury prone and we have enough of that in the squad, he'd hardly turn our backline to one that wins you titles at the moment.
Ake - Not good enough and a squad player in a title winning team based on what I've seen from the Ake thread
Koulibaly - Too costly and wants to stay in Napoli

There aren't any CBs available worth spending 40m plus on given we can use that cash on another position. I think instead of spending on a CB we can get a solid back up midfielder for that price and maybe plus a Daniel James type signing at CB to replace out going CBs as squad options. Salisu has had a good season and is very cheap

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
There really aren't any CBs out there available to pair with Maguire worth spending money on.
Skrinniar - underperformed this season and is not suited to partner Maguire with his slow pace.
Upamecano - Young but Still raw and injury prone and we have enough of that in the squad, he'd hardly turn our backline to one that wins you titles at the moment.
Ake - Not good enough and a squad player in a title winning team based on what I've seen from the Ake thread

There aren't any CBs available worth spending 40m plus on given we can use that cash on another position. I think instead of spending on a CB we can get a solid back up midfielder for that price and maybe plus a Daniel James type signing at CB to replace out going CBs as squad options. Salisu has had a good season and is very cheap
Konate

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He isn't injury prone, he had one big injury in 2018/2019 but was healthy this season.

Scholsey2004

Does he an upgrade of Lindelof?
Well, Lindelof's big criticism seems to be that he's not great in the air. He does have better stats than Skriniar in this respect though. Skriniar is a good passer of the ball - as is Lindelof. Even if it's debatable whether he's an overall improvement on lindelof though, he is certainly a genuine quality centre half, and currently we only have Maguire and Lindelof in that bracket. None of the others have really justified their presence.

norm87cro

He can't be worse than Lindelof. CBs are positions we need to adress and by current form non of our back 4 should feel safe. What would be this guys market price?

Bondi77

Lindelof is contracted til 24 with option for another year and Ole stated Axel is the Utd future.
I would not be putting any money on any incoming CBs in the immediate future.

izec

I would pick one of the French Leipzig CBs over him easily. Good level already, cheaper, they have pace and still room to improve. We won't get the pacey wold class CB in, so i would take one with the right potential and characteristics, and turn him into one.

I haven't been to see them live this season but before that he wouldn't have suited us. Hes good 1v1 and sees danger but he loves to sit deep and play around his own box. It invites a lot of pressure on to the defence and would not suit the higher pace of the PL at all.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I think we need a specific type of CB here. Mobility is definitely one of the biggest considerations for us. Someone like Joe Gomez.

Last edited:

tjb

I wouldn’t buy from Italy. expensive, overrated players, weak league.
Agree. I think people heavily underrate Premier League talent. I think Ake would be a better signing. Btw I also think Grealish is better than Havertz and if both were in similar positions in Germany, he would be more consistent. But again, because one plays in a more difficult league for a smaller club, he is seen as worse than he should be.

Mani

Well, Lindelof's big criticism seems to be that he's not great in the air. He does have better stats than Skriniar in this respect though. Skriniar is a good passer of the ball - as is Lindelof. Even if it's debatable whether he's an overall improvement on lindelof though, he is certainly a genuine quality centre half, and currently we only have Maguire and Lindelof in that bracket. None of the others have really justified their presence.
Thats my concern if the incoming player doesn't improve on what we already got then there is no point in getting him, plus the transfer fee from Inter for player like Skriniar would be high.We certainly need to add it to the backline we need proper CB to pair with Mcguire, Lindelof can provide support for now but need quality CB for the upcoming season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Before lindelof I would have liked this type of player. Now no. He wouldn’t suit English football. He has regressed in his development.

ruben Dias would be interesting

Last edited:

RedNed77

Don’t see the point in signing players who are a small upgrade at best, possibly worse. If there’s nobody outstanding available this year, stick with what we’ve got and see what comes up next year. We do need to improve our centre back options, but the key word there is ‘improve’.

JPRouve

Scout
I've heard really good things about him and he looks like he's the perfect compliment to Maguire though I haven't watched him. I don't think he's available at the moment.
And that's the problem, if you haven't watched Konaté, you haven't watch Upamecano.

jamesjimmybyrondean

And that's the problem, if you haven't watched Konaté, you haven't watch Upamecano.
Really? Konate was injured for a long while this season you know. I haven't seen Konate except yt highlights but I've seen Upamecano and though his attributes makes him a good partner for Maguire he is prone to errors and can be inconsistent.

JPRouve

Scout
Really? Konate was injured for a long while this season you know. I haven't seen Konate except yt highlights but I've seen Upamecano and though his attributes makes him a good partner for Maguire he is prone to errors and can be inconsistent.
And yet you thought that he was injury prone? The only way to think that would have been to watch Leipzig last season where Konaté was playing week in week out, while Upamecano wasn't. But most importantly Upamecano isn't raw, he is young and he obviously lacks experience but he isn't raw, he also hasn't shown that he was injury prone.
I would get it if you said that you want someone with more experience but don't say that a player is something that he isn't.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Half the caf had Tanguy Ndombele down as the solution to our midfield woes at one point. Plus ca change.
True. That Aouar chap better be the real deal or I'll never be capable trusting again.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

And yet you thought that he was injury prone? The only way to think that would have been to watch Leipzig last season where Konaté was playing week in week out, while Upamecano wasn't. But most importantly Upamecano isn't raw, he is young and he obviously lacks experience but he isn't raw, he also hasn't shown that he was injury prone.
I would get it if you said that you want someone with more experience but don't say that a player is something that he isn't.
Are you his family member? :lol: . Raw, inexperienced it's the same thing. You're not going to call any old player raw are you? Anyways if you are saying I haven't watched Upamecano at all this season because I called him injury prone then suit yourself. I've watched Leipzig a few times during the time I was Ole out so I went scouting for Nagelsman. Konate was no where to be seen in that period and what I saw from Upamecano for me was not someone that can come and instantly turn our defense that now has 6 goals conceded and 12 clean sheets in 17 games into a title winning one. Based on our recent form you could even argue our defense is good enough to win the league

JPRouve

Scout
Are you his family member? :lol: . Raw, inexperienced it's the same thing. You're not going to call any old player raw are you? Anyways if you are saying I haven't watched Upamecano at all this season because I called him injury prone then suit yourself. I've watched Leipzig a few times during the time I was Ole out so I went scouting for Nagelsman. Konate was no where to be seen in that period and what I saw from Upamecano for me was not someone that can come and instantly turn our defense that now has 6 goals conceded and 12 clean sheets in 17 games into a title winning one. Based on our recent form you could even say our defense is good enough to win the league
I don't see it that way but fair enough. For me rawness isn't about age or experience but how a player's tools are put together or not, it's also not about inconsistency. Upamecano has his game put together, in my opinion he isn't raw, he probably has room for improvement but I would put it more on the experience side of things when rawness is about lacking in the fundamentals. Someone like Mangala at Porto was raw and he still is, he had tools but his game was all over the place and he had no idea about how to use them which isn't the case for the players that you mentioned, Upamecano included.

Ekeke

No thanks. De Vrij, Godin and maybe even Bastoni are better. He's looked very average since 2018

davidmichael

Most overrated centre back in football so no thanks, didn’t Chong and Greenwood embarrass him and he ended up kicking lumps out of them in frustration ? Imagine how he’d fare on a weekly basis in the Premier League ?

He’s not an upgrade on Lindelof and his biggest weakness is the same as Lindelof which is pace so why sign an inferior player to Lindelof just because ? From how things have been put across over the season hasn’t Smalling been far superior in Serie A to Skriniar ? I would rather just bring Smalling back and loan out Tuanzebe to a Premier League team as even though Smalling is no good on the ball he’s great in the air and extremely quick.

If the plan is to sell Smalling as well as Jones and Rojo and bring in another centre back then it should be an upgrade on Lindelof and a centre back that helps hide Lindelof and Maguire’s biggest weakness in a lack of pace so the new centre back compliments them, I’d love for Bailly to stop the madness that goes through his mind or Tuanzebe to do a Greenwood as both have the ability to be the perfect partner for either Lindelof or Maguire.