Milan Škriniar

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
‘hopes in his heart to set off definitively towards the Channel, where he would like to dress soon in the pure white of Tottenham’.

Love him already! :lol:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’ll be highly interested to see how he plays in England. I rated him highly 3-4 years ago, thought he was another Vidic. But he seems to have stagnated if not regressed a little. Perhaps it’s due to the tactics so will watch with interest. Curious if inter do sell for 30m though considering 2-3 years ago they wanted 75m for him

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pique, Puyol, Vidic, Stam, Terry, Carvalho, Rio etc.

None of them were considered world class sprinters.

Its honestly baffling why people think a centreback needs to be able to match the pace of Rashford or similar. If you are constantly getting run in behing by quicker strikers, then the issue isn't your pace but your positioning and reading of the game.

I suppose its the FIFA game generations way of evaluating defenders?
How can you read the game or position yourself any different if you play a high line? You're always going to have at least one foot race with a pacy attacker. If you play deep it's not necessary, but we've all established that's not how we want to play. At minimum you need one pacy CB to cover.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’ll be highly interested to see how he plays in England. I rated him highly 3-4 years ago, thought he was another Vidic. But he seems to have stagnated if not regressed a little. Perhaps it’s due to the tactics so will watch with interest. Curious if inter do sell for 30m though considering 2-3 years ago they wanted 75m for him
£30M would be unbelievable, I was hearing more in the £50M bracket, he still has loads of development in him and his injury record is immaculate.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How can you read the game or position yourself any different if you play a high line? You're always going to have at least one foot race with a pacy attacker. If you play deep it's not necessary, but we've all established that's not how we want to play. At minimum you need one pacy CB to cover.
You see the runners, you see the position of your team mates and you have yourself positioned to cover? Playing the high line, doesn't mean waiting for someone to break your line and then sprint after them.

pascell

Fully agree, makes his positional sense and reading of the game redundant, if he doesn't have to pace to get to where he needs to be on the pitch.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
‘hopes in his heart to set off definitively towards the Channel, where he would like to dress soon in the pure white of Tottenham’.

Love him already! :lol:
Where has this quote come from?

DevilRed

When you're positioned correctly you have at least half a yard headstart against an opponent when chasing a ball over the top no? Why are we talking about Maguire and Skriniar like they are 90 year old geriatrics who can't run!? :lol:

Failing that the sweeper keeper should be able to get to anything beforehand.

How often did Maguire get done in his career for pace?! Or Skiniar for that matter!? Its mental..

The hyperbole on here is a bit over the top.

I'd rather we had a defender capable of winning that first ball to the attackers on a counter attack than someone who needs to run back with pace to recover. Go watch the match against palace and see how many times Victor Lindelof wasn't able to win the first ball which led to palace being able to counter. Vidic and Rio were excellent at doing this and hence how we were able to recycle the ball and keep pressure against opponents in their own half.

Bailly (if he can stay fit) provides more than enough of an alternative.

dablem_10

wasnt Rio very quick when he was before 30s? I always remember him to be quite athletic just not that aggresive style.

DevilRed

wasnt Rio very quick when he was before 30s? I always remember him to be quite athletic just not that aggresive style.
He was above average but there were countless times when he got caught out in his younger years because he was still immature and mistake prone.

His ability on the ball was very good for a CB, back when there was no such thing as a ball playing centreback.

Lee565

So 40 - 50 million for this guy, maybe even less and yet we spent 80 million on Maguire, christ.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
When you're positioned correctly you have at least half a yard headstart against an opponent when chasing a ball over the top no? Why are we talking about Maguire and Skriniar like they are 90 year old geriatrics who can't run!? :lol:

How often did Maguire get done in his career for pace?! Or Skiniar for that matter!? Its mental..

I'd rather we had a defender capable of winning that first ball to the attackers on a counter attack than someone who needs to run back with pace to recover. Go watch the match against palace and see how many times Victor Lindelof wasn't able to win the first ball which led to palace being able to counter. Vidic and Rio were excellent at doing this and hence how we were able to recycle the ball and keep pressure against opponents in their own half.

I'm not saying they're geriatrics who can't run, but they're obviously not as fast as someone like Werner. If you're asked to play towards the half way line, you're not going to be able to position yourself perfectly for the entirety of a game without a striker being able to get into a race with you once or twice. It's literally why you get strikers who "play on the shoulder".

The keeper comment is true, but you can't have 3 people covering a whole half of space all the time, it's not Subbuteo.

I'd like that as well, but they need both. Vidic got torn apart by Torres because of - guess what, his pace. It's an important facet to having an all round elite CB.

Fully agree, makes his positional sense and reading of the game redundant, if he doesn't have to pace to get to where he needs to be on the pitch.
You can obviously get by on it for a very long time if you're set up to those strengths, but teams will just plan to isolate that weakness and exploit it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Its honestly baffling why people think a centreback needs to be able to match the pace of Rashford or similar. If you are constantly getting run in behing by quicker strikers, then the issue isn't your pace but your positioning and reading of the game.

The game has changed, mate. It’s nothing to do with FIFA. High lines and high press are so prevalent, you need CBs with athleticism.

Obviously pure defensive ability > athletic ability always has and always will be the case, but there’s not many CBs around who have that these days.

Aside: Ferdinand was one of the fastest CBs around. Jaap Stam was very quick too.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Puyol, Stam, Carvalho and Rio were rapid. They were also excellent at reading the game, particularly the latter 3 so rarely needed to use their pace but it's not like they didn't have it.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Absolute madness that we’re just letting Spurs have this one. It’s Spurs, we could easily get him over them.

Spurs strengthening wildly whilst we just sit there. It’s a joke

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Conte’s system hasn’t done him any favors but there are some massive statistical red flags with Skriniar, whose percentage of aerial duels won and ground duels won were both simply atrocious last year. It’s an interesting case of reputation and stats really diverging so it’ll be interesting to see which is more accurate.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Where has this quote come from?
How about this one

"to play for a team like Spurs, in their new stadium, a club run so well by Mr. Levy, under the guidance of Mr. Mourinho, is what every kid grows up dreaming about" "watching the documentary series All or Nothing™ ultimately convinced me that there is no better place to ply my trade".

Levy was overheard telling Mourinho that Skriniar "looks a very good player", to which Mourinho responded, "yes, very good". Levy then said "we could make the top 4, maybe even challenge for the league", with Mourinho nodding displaying body language suggesting surface politeness covering contempt. Levy smiled.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Absolute madness that we’re just letting Spurs have this one. It’s Spurs, we could easily get him over them.

Spurs strengthening wildly whilst we just sit there. It’s a joke
We don't need him. We need someone in the ilk of Dayot.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How about this one

"to play for a team like Spurs, in their new stadium, a club run so well by Mr. Levy, under the guidance of Mr. Mourinho, is what every kid grows up dreaming about" "watching the documentary series All or Nothing™ ultimately convinced me that there is no better place to ply my trade".

Levy was overheard telling Mourinho that Skriniar "looks a very good player", to which Mourinho responded, "yes, very good". Levy then said "we could make the top 4, maybe even challenge for the league", with Mourinho nodding displaying body language suggesting surface politeness covering contempt. Levy smiled.
Damn it, how did you get an early release on this!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Rio and Stam were both very fast.

It's a partnership. Both players don't need to be super fast. Hell, if they are good enough at positioning and recognising danger you can get away with two that only have decent pace. But when one is downright slow (which Maguire is) then having the second also being quite slow is always going to be dangerous. And the more you play a high line and the more the fullbacks push up, the more you require at least one of the centrebacks to have proper pace.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We don't need him. We need someone in the ilk of Dayot.
Why don’t we need a solid centre back to pair with Maguire? Yes Upemecano would be nice but he’s not available this window.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why don’t we need a solid centre back to pair with Maguire? Yes Upemecano would be nice but he’s not available this window.
By all accounts last season, he wasn't solid. We need our CB to offer something different to Maguire, rather than more of the same.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Where are Spurs getting all the money? Don’t they have Covid in North East London?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Where are Spurs getting all the money? Don’t they have Covid in North East London?
We haven't actually spent that much yet - plus we will be selling on several players before the end of the window. I wouldn't be surprised if our net spend is less than £60 million once the window shuts.

eltigreFalcao

Although jose has mortgaged your future with some questionable purchases this summer, I think its the correct decision to win now as kane/son aren't getting any younger.

You need trophies and someone like skriniar (partnered with alderwierald) would give you the second best centreback duo in the league (in my humble opinion).

I would imagine the cups would be attainable after all your summer additions including skriniar.
Sanchez>Alderweireld

snowkarl

Sanchez>Alderweireld
Sanchez is horrible. He can't pass, very poor technical ability and a huge liability because he always heads the ball to the opposition. His only strength is relatively good physical ability.

There's a reason Mou has dropped him for Dier and now trying to get another CB in.

SambaBoy

Yeah pace isn't really highlighted massively for defenders. Any half decent defenders should be able to negate this weakness and it's rare that an attacker will go at a CB 1 v 1 and just do him for raw pace. People make out as soon as Maguire is isolated or a ball played over the top, then we are done for. Not the case.

People have mentioned this week that Lindelof's lack of pace is causing us a problem. Again, that's nowhere near the case. Lindelof is actually pretty quick for a CB, his problem is he's too timid to defend, he will just jockey the attacker all the way down the line without putting a foot in or just back off until he's on his 6 yard box.

dinostar77

Be interested to see how Skriniar and Dias do for Spurs and City if signed. Both strike me as CBs with similar attributes albeit at different ages. Not the CBs with pace that we require, but i think both could do well.

All these CBs teams are currently being linked to and the prices mentioned just emphasis what a collosal ripoff Harry Maguire was.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Sanchez is horrible. He can't pass, very poor technical ability and a huge liability because he always heads the ball to the opposition. His only strength is relatively good physical ability.

There's a reason Mou has dropped him for Dier and now trying to get another CB in.
:lol: There isn't much right about your post there.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He suits playing in a low block so will fit in well in Mourinho's reactive approach which sacrifices attacking flair in numbers for defensive solidity.

I also agree with @Lash , In teams where defensive stability is sacrificed for goals, it's important to have players in the backline who can defend space behind them comfortably in isolation if high pressure is to be implemented effectively. If you have players who are slow in that regard then you will be unable to effectively implement such a proactive play style and good positioning can only help so much playing so high up the pitch as the last line. You can get away with it against certain teams but against teams who have good counter attacking abilities and who can quickly transition play it will become a problem.