Milan & Inter agree on new San Siro

Affirmation

It is reported Milan and Inter have agreed plans on a new stadium, which will cost around €700m to build and is anticipated to be ready by 2022.

According to La Repubblica, the idea of refurbishing the current San Siro has been shelved in favour of a joint-project, which also involves redevelopment of the surrounding area.

The newspaper explains the entire project will set both clubs back ‘around €700m’ and that they hope to have the ground open by the start of the 2022-23 campaign.

Furthermore, the stadium would be built next to the existing San Siro, partly below street level so as to limit its visual impact on the neighbourhood.

However, La Repubblica warns Milan and Inter have yet to decide on what to do with the site where San Siro sits once it is knocked down.

Moreover, approval of the project threatens to be far from simple as Milan mayor Beppe Sala has already warned that his council cannot lose ownership of San Siro.

https://www.football-italia.net/139699/milan-inter-agree-new-san-siro

CodeRed

It needed knocking down. Been many times and it's a dump. Infact Milan is a dump anyway.

I remembered a few years back going to the toilet before kick off. I was top tear in the away end and the loo was a hole in the floor to have a shit. No flushing or anything. Just like what you expect in turkey or egypt etc. I'll never forget it.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
More stadium envy incoming...:(
Really? Not seen any new ones that are anything special. Spurs' looks nice when no one is in it. Looks average on matchday cameras though. Sure it's nice in person like.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Unbelievable; another legendary stadium in Europe demolished. What the hell.

Oh, I'll miss you San Siro, especially that iconic roof and four towers.

Old Trafford next? :(

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Don’t see what there’s to envy, sharing a stadium with your local rival is kind of a bummer.
Really? Not seen any new ones that are anything special. Spurs' looks nice when no one is in it. Looks average on matchday cameras though. Sure it's nice in person like.
I was referring more to the fact that at least they have new stadia. We don't even have a large screen for VAR ffs.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Didn’t Spurs get theirs done in about 2-3 years?
Not exactly
Concept agreed in 2007 (sound like this is the stage they are at)
Formal planning and land acquisition started in 2008 (council may not be so keen in Milan apparently )
Enabling works 2015 (if they are building some under street level I expect a lot more excavation and shoring to be needed... Very time consuming)
Main civils 2016
Opened 2019

2-3 years is a very ambitions timeline ... Also building in Italy sometimes has other "complications"

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
1) Totally against about demoliting San Siro/Meazza
2) Not a good idea in the modern days having again just one stadium shared by 2 big clubs with big following for a city like Milano
3) The capacity of the stadium should be about 80k and not 60k, especially seeing the big and increasing following at home games year after year (especially Inter)

RoyH1

People criticizing Inter/AC for sharing a stadium make me laugh. Building a new modern five star stadium in the modern economy is incredibly expensive and Italian football is not as cash rich as it once was. Sharing the expense makes a lot of sense, despite the rivalry between both teams.

Cloud7

Not exactly
Concept agreed in 2007 (sound like this is the stage they are at)
Formal planning and land acquisition started in 2008 (council may not be so keen in Milan apparently )
Enabling works 2015 (if they are building some under street level I expect a lot more excavation and shoring to be needed... Very time consuming)
Main civils 2016
Opened 2019

2-3 years is a very ambitions timeline ... Also building in Italy sometimes has other "complications"
Ahh my mistake then. 2-3 years is probably how long I’ve been aware that they’re doing a new stadium :lol:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
San Siro’s probably my favourite world stadium, confused as to why they’d rather knock it down. They could do incredible things to it with even half of that €700m.

We better revamp OT instead of getting a new stadium, if we ever decide to spend a penny on the ground that is.

I don't see the point if the council refuse to give up ownership.

San Siro is great as it is anyway. The area around it is a dump but there's nothing nearby so it should be an easy job to build something new.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm sure it'll be completed on time and within budget. Italian football is well known for being free of corruption.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
People criticizing Inter/AC for sharing a stadium make me laugh. Building a new modern five star stadium in the modern economy is incredibly expensive and Italian football is not as cash rich as it once was. Sharing the expense makes a lot of sense, despite the rivalry between both teams.
Suning and Elliott could build 10 new modern five stadiums if they want, they have the money...the main trouble is the bureaucratic system and the interests of comunal council of Milano unfortunately.
I dont get how London could have 300 stadiums while the most glorious city in European football cant have 2 stadiums, thats crazy

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Shame, i've never been although I've wanted to I've always heard how bad and rundown it is, but it's still one of Europe's most unique looking stadiums for me. They'll probably make the new one with a reduced capacity like Juventus did, remove the tower/cyclinder features and make another generic toilet bowl rooftop that we see with the new ones nowadays.

Gibb11

Shame, i've never been although I've wanted to I've always heard how bad and rundown it is, but it's still one of Europe's most unique looking stadiums for me. They'll probably make the new one with a reduced capacity like Juventus did, remove the tower/cyclinder features and make another generic toilet bowl rooftop that we see with the new ones nowadays.
When to Milan Juve this season gone, a dream of mine. Girlfriends first ever football match ever too, was sensational to be there and surreal considering I remember watching the exoticness of watching the 2000's Milan and late football Italia on grainy low res tv, atmosphere was incredible. Someone mentioned the toliets yeah they were really grim. still though going up the towers and entering the stadium, magical, a cathedral of a football stadium.

Yeah I hate these generic modern bowls, I know its hard to gain the soul considering it's new and no history but it just feel very meh, no matter how big.

Skills

Snitch
It's also a massive waste of space when there's already a shortage of affordable living space in most big European cities.

SambaBoy

As a few posters have mentioned, hopefully they don't replace it with another generic bowl of a stadium. Spurs stadium is exactly the same as the Emirates just slightly better with different colour seats. Same with the new Atletico stadium.

San Siro is one of the most famous stadiums in world football, hopefully they just revamp it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It needed knocking down. Been many times and it's a dump. Infact Milan is a dump anyway.

I remembered a few years back going to the toilet before kick off. I was top tear in the away end and the loo was a hole in the floor to have a shit. No flushing or anything. Just like what you expect in turkey or egypt etc. I'll never forget it.
Have you ever been to Turkey to say something like that ?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I thought AC Milan moved our and already have theirs?

Siorac

I thought AC Milan moved our and already have theirs?
Why would you think that?

I'll be said to see San Siro gone. Another stadium with actual character replaced by a boring modern bowl like the Emirates.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Have you ever been to Turkey to say something like that ?
I go to Turkey nearly every year and there are still a good few places where you shit in a hole in the ground. I love he place though, once you learn how to deal with a lot of leering men on the street trying to get a feel of your wife.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I go to Turkey nearly every year and there are still a good few places where you shit in a hole in the ground. I love he place though, once you learn how to deal with a lot of leering men on the street trying to get a feel of your wife.
A bit different from my own experience but who knows.

GazTheLegend

More stadium envy incoming...:(
Could never get envious over a groundshare.

I imagine between City and Unted we could build a pretty decent stadium... would that be something you could get behind? Really?

redshaw

One of my favourite stadiums, will be sad to see it go after it was renovated for the 1990 world cup.

I understand it's probably too big now and hard to police, I often see just 25-45k watching the games in recent years. I expect they'll build a 50k seater.

I don't think you can beat the San Siro glory years of world class players like Brazilian Ronaldo, Maldini and Shevchenko, full stadium and flares going off and smoke billowing around.

I was lucky enough to start watching Serie A in 1990 on Sky with Sampdoria winning the league.

Last edited:

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
One of my favourite stadiums, will be sad to see it go after it was renovated for the 1990 world cup.

I understand it's probably too big now and hard to police, I often see just 25-45k watching the games in recent years. I expect they'll build a 50k seater.

I don't think you can beat the San Siro glory days of world class players like Brazilian Ronaldo, Maldini and Shevchenko, full stadium and flares going off.

I was lucky enough to start watching Serie A in 1990 on Sky with Sampdoria winning the league.

And don't forget the '80s legends: the dutch trio, Bergomi, Matthaus, etc. San Siro was the Home of Legends.

redshaw

And don't forget the '80s legends: the dutch trio, Bergomi, Matthaus, etc. San Siro was the Home of Legends.
Yeah, and Marco Van Basten, my fav striker.

Also what can't be beaten back then is the San Siro roar of the crowd when a goal is scored.

Shame everywhere is getting so sterile. I'd love to see another tier added to the Stretford end just for the hell of it. Sick of these modern bowls.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

Also what can't be beaten back then is the San Siro roar of the crowd when a goal is scored.

Shame everywhere is getting so sterile. I'd love to see another tier added to the Stretford end just for the hell of it. Sick of these modern bowls.
I was really glad when Marseille uplifted their old-classic stadium, one of the most unique stadiums in Europe. But losing Highbury, Wembley, was hard enough. Now Vicente Claderón too and San Siro, ffs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm really saddened by this....San Siro is my favourite european stadium and it just shouts out to me iconic european football.

Think way they built it has always meant issues with pitch maintenance but are the amenities really that poor? I'm sure the existing structure could be remodelled a bit.

Just knocking it down is even worse than when Wembley met its fate.

Seen matches at Bernabeu and Camp Nou which are amazing stadiums in their own right but need to go and watch one at San Siro with this news.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Yes someone mentioned a while back on here the sound at San Siro is very unique, guess with the design the acoustics are fantastic.

Also love how it's raised behind both goals and you get the sight of all the fans running between first row and railings when goal is scored.

One hope is that Roma and Lazio been talking of leaving the Olimpico for pretty much a decade and nothing has happened yet.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
The San Siro’s a dump, very dodgy aswell, your feet is right behind the person in front for you’s back, when big varga scored everybody fell about 10 rows in front, dunno if it’s still like that though.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Suning and Elliott could build 10 new modern five stadiums if they want, they have the money...the main trouble is the bureaucratic system and the interests of comunal council of Milano unfortunately.
I dont get how London could have 300 stadiums while the most glorious city in European football cant have 2 stadiums, thats crazy
Where would they build? That area is pretty much the only one in the city that can accomodate a stadium. They'd have to build the new one outside Milan, and then the only viable places right now would be either Sesto, Rho or Monza(considering the timeline of the new stadium would fit with the timelime of the subway expansion), and again, it's hard to find the land for a stadium there too. Plus, San Siro is part of the clubs, wouldn't be the same thing for them to move elsewhere. Rather i don't get why they can't just build the new stadium anyways, and leave the old one alone until after 2026. They're planning to build the new stadium over the old trot racecourse anyways

Having said that, they need a new stadium asap as the current one is literally falling to pieces.