Mind games or a mini meltdown?

Dobbs

Mourinho's behaviour over the last few weeks. Which is it, cunning management to create an all for one mentality or a fallback to the paranoia and victim complex some would argue we've seen before?

When I say behaviour I'm referring to talk of "enemies", the constant moaning, the glum demeanor, more and more defenders on the pitch and today buggering off up the tunnel.

I really hope that's it's the former but I fear we're starting to see the José of the last couple of years.

RedMaestro

Mourinho's behaviour over the last few weeks. Which is it, cunning management to create an all for one mentality or a fallback to the paranoia and victim complex some would argue we've seen before?

When I say behaviour I'm referring to talk of "enemies", the constant moaning, the glum demeanor, more and more defenders on the pitch and today buggering off up the tunnel.

I really hope that's it's the former but I fear we're starting to see the José of the last couple of years.
Clearly classic "mind games" from Mourinho...

Pace Abuser

The Midds manager confirmed Jose met him and shook his hand after the game. Just not in view of the cameras.

Generally, he's a bad loser. If he wins we'll see the best of him, if not, he'll crack, like they all do at the highest level under the current climate of intense media scrutiny

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Classic Mourinho Mind games.

To put the focus on him and not the team.

GloryHunter07

Classic siege mentality stuff, surprised you need to ask.

Dobbs

Classic Mourinho Mind games.

To put the focus on him and not the team.
Why does any focus have to shifted anywhere? Just play football.

I'm sure he can get us back to the top but his behaviour is starting to get a little bit out there. At Chelsea it wasn't mind games, he just imploded. I hope we're not starting to see the beginnings of that here.

Dobbs

The Midds manager confirmed Jose met him and shook his hand after the game. Just not in view of the cameras.

Generally, he's a bad loser. If he wins we'll see the best of him, if not, he'll crack, like they all do at the highest level under the current climate of intense media scrutiny
That's just weird though, I don't remember anybody else doing it. I'm struggling to see how that's a trick to help the team either.

The United

I don't want to believe mind games are effective at this level and this age anymore.

Many ex players, managers and even SAF said it is bs.

I also don't think it is a mini meltdown either. At least I hope not.

He just tries to act like a cnut/unique sometimes so hard.

R300k

T A
Stay calm. He just have a sweet revenge for his beloved brother Aitor, a little excitement is acceptable

cyberman

I've never seen so many negative threads after wins than on this forum.
The RAWK thread should be retired at this point.

Adnandos

This, doesn't feel like we have the right to laugh at them anymore when people are acting like this here.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's madness. I underestimated how many people dislike the guy.

Natener

That's just weird though, I don't remember anybody else doing it. I'm struggling to see how that's a trick to help the team either.
Why is it weird or a trick? Because he didn't shake hands for you to see? I fail to see the importance of the visual sighting of his handshake to you or anybody.

Dobbs

I don't want to believe mind games are effective at this level and this age anymore.

Many ex players, managers and even SAF said it is bs.

I also don't think it is a mini meltdown either. At least I hope not.

He just tries to act like a cnut/unique sometimes so hard.
Agree with you this whole mind games thing is overplayed.

Going out of your way to act like this odd though.

Remember as well this is relatively low pressure. It's an away game to Middlesbrough, probably the worst team in the league right now. Not a ECL final. What Keane said about handling the pressure of United is starting to make more sense to me. He looks like a guy who's not coping with it right now.

Dobbs

Why is it weird or a trick? Because he didn't shake hands for you to see? I fail to see the importance of the visual sighting of his handshake to you or anybody.
You don't find it odd that a manager disappears up the tunnel before the end of the game? You've seen that quite a bit have you?

King.of.Red

mind games or meltdown, I dont care, for me it's just Jose with his unique character. he can do whatever he wants as long as he can bring United back to the top again.
and wtf with a thread like this..

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
This, doesn't feel like we have the right to laugh at them anymore when people are acting like this here.
They are deluded though. At this place people are falling over eachother to point out how awful everything is.

The United

Agree with you this whole mind games thing is overplayed.

Going out of your way to act like this odd though.

Remember as well this is relatively low pressure. It's an away game to Middlesbrough, probably the worst team in the league right now. Not a ECL final. What Keane said about handling the pressure of United is starting to make more sense to me. He looks like a guy who's not coping with it right now.
For the arguing sake, we have seen that he can rally a team to win while acting like a cnut.

And, he has shown that he generally lost his dressing room and his team were almost in relegation zone while acting like a cnut too.

I really like the guy for being a winner. But, he comes with a bit of unpredictability with his personality. Who knows. We will see.

Dobbs

Oh man up, it'ss not particularly negative. I'm sure Mourinho will get us back to the top.

There was just more odd behaviour from him today and it's a discussion about that. Can we not discuss 7 defenders or running off up the tunnel just because we won?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It was typical Mourinho mind games. The meltdowns usually come from high profile games against managers he has some animosity against.

cyberman

Oh man up, it'ss not particularly negative. I'm sure Mourinho will get us back to the top.

There was just more odd behaviour from him today and it's a discussion about that. Can we not discuss 7 defenders or running off up the tunnel just because we won?
It's not negative, he has said he does this so he can phone his wife to tell her the score since she refuses to watch his games.
At worst it's a quirke.
It's a nonsense thread.

The United

And, we don't have a right to laugh at other managers for being weird and talking shit when our own is acting like it too.

Agni

Why does he have to stay on the pitch to shake hands in front of the cameras? If he does it before the final whistle or back inside the tunnel after the game what's the big deal?

Honestly, some folks in this place have an agenda to school Jose into being the teachers pet etiquette of a football manager.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
You don't find it odd that a manager disappears up the tunnel before the end of the game? You've seen that quite a bit have you?
Is it weird that I didn't even consider it before you brought it up?
He looked happy and probably happy with job done. Or maybe in need of a restroom.

Dobbs

It's not negative, he has said he does this so he can phone his wife to tell her the score since she refuses to watch his games.
At worst it's a quirke.
It's a nonsense thread.
I don't believe for a second you'd be saying this if he was still at Chelsea.

Mr. Meeseeks

Maybe he means it. Any of you guys ever think of that? He has been looking very miserable. The thing he needs is a cheering up. Not this nonesense every game. We fecking won! A very fun game to watch. Why the obsession with looking for things to criticise? Just have fun. And back your team every time they play with passion like today.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Don't know if he did. Of course he had his moments.

But, he usually sat chewing his gums the whole games pretty much since as long as I can remember.
Not necessarily during a game, but in pressers and the like. He was known for creating the "siege mentality" as well.

The United

Not necessarily during a game, but in pressers and the like. He was known for creating the "siege mentality" as well.
Actually, he had his moments with the press. All managers do.

But, mostly and regularly giving them generic answers like we play good. or we will come back and do the job next week or oh yes he played very good. etc

Or when he complained about the fixture, he would say well thats what you get for shaking hands with devil or something like that referring about TV deal.

Or just didn't come out at all when he was fuming.

I don't think he needed to create 'siege mentality' since late 90s. It was before starting to win. After that, I suppose you keep 'winning mentality'.

Natener

I don't. Because I do not get to see what the manager wants to prepare in his address to the team in the dressing room, especially with Internationals coming up. I've seen Mourinho rushed down the tunnel plenty before halftime when there's clearly important things the team need addressing. Odd is when the manager openly refuse to shake hands for no reason. That is not the case here. I have no problem with him acting like the team is his priority. He can deal with the little handshake affair at his own convenience later be it in the tunnel, outside the boro dressing room, over a glass of wine in the boro manager's office, dressed up as Fred the Red, feck all I care.