Gaming Minecraft | New caf 1.18 SMP server SIGN UP?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I'd be up for that, although I've never played a non modded skyblock before.

I still think you'll get the same problem though; a relative hive of activity for the first couple of weeks or so, followed by weeks of logging on to the server without seeing another living soul!

I think we just don't have the volume of players to keep it active, which is a shame. The closest we had was back in the second(?) reset of the server back in 1.2.1 where we had a proper little town with community buildings and a fair few regular players.
Maybe, but at least with skyblock we'll get a small area where people are forced to interact.

I think we'll get new players too.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
It would be good if we could tap into one or two other communities than redcafe to bump the numbers up. If the cave update was out now I'd have already started a new server and be on it 24/7 :D

rcoobc

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
@rcoobc I shit you not when I hear about skyblock I think it's just some kids game yet I've happily put thousands of hours into vanilla Minecraft. I should at least look at it on youtube, but I just think nothing can beat the unlimited nature of vanilla..

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Can’t say I’m a massive fan of skyblock, though I haven’t tried it.

rcoobc

Can’t say I’m a massive fan of skyblock, though I haven’t tried it.
@rcoobc I shit you not when I hear about skyblock I think it's just some kids game yet I've happily put thousands of hours into vanilla Minecraft. I should at least look at it on youtube, but I just think nothing can beat the unlimited nature of vanilla..
It's just Minecraft after all.

But good thing is that we'd be stuck together having to help each other to get to the end. Limited resources. Limited space.

And then once we get to the end.. well have developed a community.

Community

Season 7

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
But the vanilla ones die after like a week because you build a house, go to the nether and then you've done everything in the game.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm playing the Minecraft clone Subnautica these days. It's younger, more chill and accepts me for who I am.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
But the vanilla ones die after like a week because you build a house, go to the nether and then you've done everything in the game.
If you've said that once you've said it a thousand times, that is a very limited view of what is a unlimited by nature game!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, there’s tons of opportunities. Redstone alone! Even without that, the Nether is huge and diverse now, there are cool bioms and generated structures like Ocean temples and mansions... But it’s way less fun if no one else is involved :(

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I’m gradually working on trying to get some mates of mine to try Minecraft, but it’s tough. Would be much easier if it supported cross play between PC/Console

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Personally I think it'd be more fun if we did large biomes and also set out a group goal. I've seen one such goal on Youtube where for example they are aiming to collect a double chest full of every single item. Gives them incentive to create farms, work together etc. It would be fun to have a bit of organised creativity as well, e.g. before anyone is allowed to build their own place, a certain themed town has to be built or something like that. Anything that stretches it out and provides some longevity is great. Also creates a feeling of attachment to the server and the progress of it.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yeah I’ve often thought we needed more group projects. I remember the glow stone road from one of our first servers

harms

Staff
Personally I think it'd be more fun if we did large biomes and also set out a group goal. I've seen one such goal on Youtube where for example they are aiming to collect a double chest full of every single item. Gives them incentive to create farms, work together etc. It would be fun to have a bit of organised creativity as well, e.g. before anyone is allowed to build their own place, a certain themed town has to be built or something like that. Anything that stretches it out and provides some longevity is great. Also creates a feeling of attachment to the server and the progress of it.
Certainly. Building is something that I haven't really done much in Minecraft aside from my own bases, that usually tend to be more practical rather than challenging in terms of building or creative side (although an underwater base is an upgrade to that).

There's a mushroom island that can be converted to a community area, for example (the mobs don't spawn in the whole biom, which is quite cool).

My dream is to try to create some kind of a mini-game inside of minecraft – it's unlikely that I'll make something entertaining, but the process of creating it should be cool.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
My dream is to try to create some kind of a mini-game inside of minecraft – it's unlikely that I'll make something entertaining, but the process of creating it should be cool.
I recall @rcoobc did something like this on a caf server ages ago. A big building where you turn off the lights (making it dark so monsters will spawn) where you have to find various hidden redstone switches to open the exit door.

rcoobc

I recall @rcoobc did something like this on a caf server ages ago. A big building where you turn off the lights (making it dark so monsters will spawn) where you have to find various hidden redstone switches to open the exit door.
Yes! My version was terrible but could easily be made awesome!

harms

Staff
I recommend you guys to check out "Decked Out" on YouTube, it's seriously the most insane mini-game, if you can even call it that, made on a survival server.

Although the actual runs are way funnier. When you look at the amount of work he had put in with getting all the mobs in, creating an insane red-stone based system that detect different cards, give you different effects etc...

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Server was down for a couple of days if anyone was going to play.. its up again.

Nobody up for a large biomes adventure with challenges? ;)

Tiber

Stupid question, but how different is playing on a multiplayer server like this? Do you folks focus on big community projects?

I first got Minecraft back when it was an ugly browser game and multiplayer mostly consisted of putting TNT in someones house when they logged out - which quickly put me off multiplayer

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Stupid question, but how different is playing on a multiplayer server like this? Do you folks focus on big community projects?

I first got Minecraft back when it was an ugly browser game and multiplayer mostly consisted of putting TNT in someones house when they logged out - which quickly put me off multiplayer
We've been known to in the past! The multiplayer experience can be whatever the players want it to be. Our servers are always friendly and many times we've worked together on community projects or at least building together, but not always. Sometimes it's more of a solo building experience but helping each other and doing some things together like fighting the dragon.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I did enjoy some modded servers back in the day. Tinkers' Construct was fantastic, and then there was one that introduced another realm, all fae themed with magic and stuff. But I dont think any of that is a substitute for just having an active, persistent player base. Shared building projects would probably help - if we all pooled together to build an enormous mansion that we all lived in, for example.

Tiber

I tried giving this a go, but couldn't get the server code to work. Maybe I tried an old one or something.

I was messing around on the Hypixel server 6a few days ago, but theres so much going on with that. Even their Skyblock mod had a whole NPC town. Too much to learn

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Feel like starting a new large biomes vanilla game on 1.16.4. Everyone welcome to join if interested, i.p and whitelist should be the same.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Have let the server expire now as I've been tightening the purse strings recently. I can imagine next year when the caves update comes out could be a good time to start a new one. I have been playing a new single player mode on 1.6.4 on large biomes and it's been so fun again to have so much content in the game that I don't know about, feels akin to playing the game for the first time. I've found four cave spider spawners right near each other, spent the last week turning them into one big combined XP farm :lol:

Also saw this video the other day which I thought was great: