Gaming Minecraft | New caf 1.18 SMP server SIGN UP?

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Yeah, I'd be up for pissing about a bit. We could recreate OT :D

voland

server: redcafe.tanganaika.net

it's 1.0.0 (vanilla)

we can always migrate it to a different host later, that's just for testing.

I've no idea what the commands or admin stuff are at all :)

edit:

I'll take a more serious look at this when I'm back home from work, but I'll leave it running anyway so whoever wants to give it a try is welcome

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Just killed one of the knobhead villagers. He looked at me funny.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I never ever ever play this ever :nervous: And I have also never hosted a minecraft server and I do not host one at the moment.

But if I did this might be an awesome map.

Cake Defense

If you're using an online server you don't need to worry but if you aren't then I recommend mineosplus MineOS+ - Home. Whether you use a ramdisk or not, it gets the best performance you are going to get from your hardware.

If you are going to use bukkit (plug-ins) then I recommend some sort of Economy, some sort of Quest thing, some sort of land protection, some sort of shop, and some sort of fight thing, but it depends if you want it to be creative or survival obviously.

As for mineosplus, I'm currently running it virtually on a computer with just 2gb of ram, and windows 7 installed and that computer still has enough to play minecraft at the same time, and it can hold at least 4 people with ease. So if you want to host one just on your local computer, you probably can.

Urbanned

Wow, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about it, I was really thinkin of a simple multiplayer survival server, nothing too fancy
That would be the easiest thing. The only problem is that you can have people come and either steal or destroy all your stuff - 'griefing'. To prevent this there are commands that you can enable to protect your chests and any blocks that you lay down, or you can set up a white-list (a list of acknowledged players, only these are allowed to play on the server). I would suggest setting up a white-list to prevent the server becoming completely packed.

rcoobc

That would be the easiest thing. The only problem is that you can have people come and either steal or destroy all your stuff - 'griefing'. To prevent this there are commands that you can enable to protect your chests and any blocks that you lay down, or you can set up a white-list (a list of acknowledged players, only these are allowed to play on the server). I would suggest setting up a white-list to prevent the server becoming completely packed.
Urban has the knowledge. White lists are a good idea. I'd prefer to have online-mode off so we don't have to use our minecraft usernames, then you can just add our new fake names via pm

Bucket server's for the mainpart are dead easy. You need craft bucket in the directory minecraft server jar is in, then a file called "usecraftbucket" (I think) with no extension into that folder.

The plugins themselves can be a bit annoying, permissions is the most horrible but also the most important and the first one you need to set up usually.

Smores

I just don't get the concept behind this but I'm going to acquire it so that I can finally find out if it's overhyped or not. If I become addicted I'm blaming the angels!!

rcoobc

I just don't get the concept behind this but I'm going to acquire it so that I can finally find out if it's overhyped or not. If I become addicted I'm blaming the angels!!
Try not to look too much up at the start, and play on hard ;). It's incredibly frustrating at the start, but you never get that feeling of freshness back.

I remember I built about 100 "bases" when I first started, as I could never ever find them again. This was before beds and compasses.

Urbanned

Try not to look too much up at the start, and play on hard ;). It's incredibly frustrating at the start, but you never get that feeling of freshness back.

I remember I built about 100 "bases" when I first started, as I could never ever find them again. This was before beds and compasses.
Playing on hard is a nightmare. Especially now they've added in the hunger stuff, finding food all the time is always such a pain.

rcoobc

Playing on hard is a nightmare. Especially now they've added in the hunger stuff, finding food all the time is always such a pain.
It's brilliant. I love the added challenge, hard isn't that hard ;). In fact if you wear Iron armour very little will kill you even on hard really.

I adore those mineshafts.

Anyone on the server atm?

Urbanned

It's brilliant. I love the added challenge, hard isn't that hard ;). In fact if you wear Iron armour very little will kill you even on hard really.

I adore those mineshafts.

Anyone on the server atm?
I don't know, for me it just makes it such a hassle trying to do anything as you have to keep stopping all the time...

Do you mean the already built mineshafts with the cobwebs in? Those poison spiders are a right pain in the arse!

rcoobc

I don't know, for me it just makes it such a hassle trying to do anything as you have to keep stopping all the time...

Do you mean the already built mineshafts with the cobwebs in? Those poison spiders are a right pain in the arse!
Yeah, I love it. I know what you mean, it adds an extra factor of difficulty at the start, but once you get to some point you probably build a farm to have near infinite food anyway. And the ability to run is well worth the price, especially running on ice :p

I love those pre-built mineshafts, they basically took away the need to strip mine ever, although they are more rare now. Creepers with lag are a pain, I'll say that about multi player.

Urbanned

Yeah, I love it. I know what you mean, it adds an extra factor of difficulty at the start, but once you get to some point you probably build a farm to have near infinite food anyway. And the ability to run is well worth the price, especially running on ice :p

I love those pre-built mineshafts, they basically took away the need to strip mine ever, although they are more rare now. Creepers with lag are a pain, I'll say that about multi player.
Yeah, once you get your own little base and wheat farm sorted its ok. It's just getting to that stage!

I've only found one on my single player thing, although it seems to go on for ever. I always end up hopelessly lost and have to dig my way back up to the surface :lol:

Seeing a creeper loom out of the darkness when you have low health really does scare the crap outta you...

rcoobc

server: redcafe.tanganaika.net

it's 1.0.0 (vanilla)

we can always migrate it to a different host later, that's just for testing.

I've no idea what the commands or admin stuff are at all :)

edit:

I'll take a more serious look at this when I'm back home from work, but I'll leave it running anyway so whoever wants to give it a try is welcome
Tis going well.

Smores

feck this bastarding game, I'm now extremely tired.

The lack of instructions was a pain in the arse at first, thankfully I seemed to make the right decision in building an underground shelter rather than one above ground.

I didn't go on hard rcoobc as didn't know how hard it would be and didn't see your post, going to have to continue on this mode for now as I NEED to progress lol.

Bloody angels

rcoobc

feck this bastarding game, I'm now extremely tired.

The lack of instructions was a pain in the arse at first, thankfully I seemed to make the right decision in building an underground shelter rather than one above ground.

I didn't go on hard rcoobc as didn't know how hard it would be and didn't see your post, going to have to continue on this mode for now as I NEED to progress lol.

Bloody angels

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
im on now btw, just started on the MP server

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I've started Fort Walrus, which is open to all caftards as a shared base of operations.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Fort Walrus (aka Fort Redcafe) is starting to come together very nicely - anyone who has Minecraft I implore you to check it out, it aint far from the start area.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
A few more hours and a few hundred more stone invested, its looking promising now.

All we need is a few more residents.

rcoobc

We need to build a mini arena like so:

Even without Bukkit you can still have a lot of fun with them, just use beds to set your spawn location. (Wool was player spawnpoints, there is one missing)

Stemmy

Just seen that your server now seems to have a good connection for me. Might drop on this evening when I get home from work

voland

Aerial view of fort RedCafe (also known as Walrus fort)

Showing off my Berbatov 9 skin on top of a tower

Beacon of hellfire for easy finding the server

Smores

I'll def join once I've finished getting to grips with the game and finished doing everything I want with my own base offline.

Beyond building cool structures, traps etc what more is there to do?

I mean do people attack each others bases? Or is it a case of just building and building