Miscellaneous facts stats news and chat

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I hope we get decent crowd this season. I wish I lived near Manchester lol. I'd buy a couple too at least!

@jojojo or other season ticket holders, do you guys see interest among fans/ST holders to get to the ground? Considering it's far (from what I read) and City got so many women's football fans hooked. I even saw in social media, some United fans going to city women's matches. I don't begrudge them tbh. It's not so black and white for some fans.
I think it's inevitably a minority interest amongst current season ticket holders. We already have a lot of matches to get to, so there may not be a big overlap in terms of regulars. Maybe if we get to the point where we're playing Barcelona in a CL semi-final or something - but that's somewhere in the distant future, and who knows we might even be ready to use the bottom tier of OT by then, the way the Youth teams occasionally do. :devil:

The advantage City have is that their ground is on a Manchester metro route (about 10 minutes from the town centre). That's a big deal when it comes to attracting under 18s for example. For most potential fans, the Leigh stadium is really only practical by car - fine for me, not great for building a fan base.

Right now, if we draw City in the Cup for example, I suspect we'd get more United fans at the match if City are the home team! It's all wait and see at the moment of course.

RedPamie

I think it's inevitably a minority interest amongst current season ticket holders. We already have a lot of matches to get to, so there may not be a big overlap in terms of regulars. Maybe if we get to the point where we're playing Barcelona in a CL semi-final or something - but that's somewhere in the distant future, and who knows we might even be ready to use the bottom tier of OT by then, the way the Youth teams occasionally do. :devil:

The advantage City have is that their ground is on a Manchester metro route (about 10 minutes from the town centre). That's a big deal when it comes to attracting under 18s for example. For most potential fans, the Leigh stadium is really only practical by car - fine for me, not great for building a fan base.

Right now, if we draw City in the Cup for example, I suspect we'd get more United fans at the match if City are the home team! It's all wait and see at the moment of course.
Ah yeah. Cheers @jojojo!

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Season tickets have gone on sale today on the United website - £39 for adults, £20 for under 16s and over-65s.
I have just received a text saying this. Can anyone confirm if all home games are to be played in Leigh ?

Also has anyone got any idea what days womens games are played on ?

As that would help me to know whether i would be able to attend enough matches to justify buying a season ticket

Edit. Just realised how cheap this makes me sound. :lol:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I have just received a text saying this. Can anyone confirm if all home games are to be played in Leigh ?

As that would help me to know whether i would be able to attend enough matches to justify buying a season ticket

Leigh is our primary site. Old Trafford and Altrincham are the backup stadia. No idea on match days/timing as yet.

Just gone on the site and it's put me in one of those miserable ticketing queues with the countdown timer!

I hope that's a mark of success rather than a crashed website. :lol:
Countdown queue worked - and I've handed over the £39.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Leigh is our primary site. Old Trafford and Altrincham are the backup stadia. No idea on match days/timing as yet.

Countdown queue worked - and I've handed over the £39.
Thanks i have just been on the ticket site and had a look, i will have to wait to get an idea of what days/times we will be playing.

AndyMUFC

Might well buy a season ticket if I can get to enough games but will hold off too till I find out. Good price though.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Seriously is anybody else really excited? I just wish we had some kind of definitive tv deal so we all knew we could definitely watch the games.

RedPamie

Got information that our first home game likely to be shown on MUTV. Ugh I hope so!

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
only united team i look forward to watching this season. Can MUTV broadcast league and cup games?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
only united team i look forward to watching this season. Can MUTV broadcast league and cup games?
We believe so. BT have some women's club games, but it's not obvious what rights they own this year. The same goes for the BBC and the WSL Facebook page that had some matches/highlights last year.

MUTV say they'll broadcast some - presumably home matches with no broadcaster that don't clash with other stuff. They also say they'll do some highlights. It's all very much wait and see right now.

RedPamie

Saw this on Guardian's article about Director of Football:
United are discussing the expansion of their training complex in Carrington because the recently formed women’s team requires facilities and extra personnel. Once these changes are executed it is expected the director of football will be appointed.
https://theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/11/manchester-united-director-of-football

This means the club has plan for women's team to be based in Carrington. Maybe they also need closed space for training? Won't be surprised if so with the secrecy so far :lol:

Maybe in the future games will be Leigh then training at Carrington?

RedPamie

Who will put the most effort into preening and looking their best for the pre-season photo shoots?

Who’s come back in the fanciest new footwear?

Interesting interview with Amy Turner and Martha Harris.

I like this quote :drool:
Amy Turner : The first day was a strange one; obviously we’re a newly-formed team and it’s not often you have 21 strangers coming together for the first time. But there was so much excitement; we had a tour of Old Trafford and listened to the vision of club and honestly I was blown away. I knew we were all going to be part of something really special – ‘The History Makers.’

https://shekicks.net/2018/08/23/201...turner-martha-harris-manchester-united-women/

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Is this forum the right place to post a thread for the huge world cup qualifier between Wales and England on Friday night? Or should I stick to the football forum?

@jojojo?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Is this forum the right place to post a thread for the huge world cup qualifier between Wales and England on Friday night? Or should I stick to the football forum?

@jojojo?
Please create a thread in the football forum for the internationals. I think it would probably be a good idea if that thread covers all this week's internationals, though of course Wales/England will be the one getting the most attention.

Kirsty Smith and Liz Arnot are with Scotland and still have a chance of qualifying, or at least of a playoff place. Alex Greenwood is in the England squad.

General chat about women's football and the odd bits and pieces about the club teams fits OK in here. There are bound to be some overlaps. But the intention is really for this forum to be mostly about United.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Please create a thread in the football forum for the internationals. I think it would probably be a good idea if that thread covers all this week's internationals, though of course Wales/England will be the one getting the most attention.

Kirsty Smith and Liz Arnot are with Scotland and still have a chance of qualifying, or at least of a playoff place. Alex Greenwood is in the England squad.

General chat about women's football and the odd bits and pieces about the club teams fits OK in here. There are bound to be some overlaps. But the intention is really for this forum to be mostly about United.
Ok mate thanks for clarifying

Andersons Dietician

Does anyone have any idea of what the wage structure for the woman’s team is? Was speaking to someone about Wilson moving to Aberdeen recently where it would seem his wages are 30k a week, Shinnie Aberdeen’s highest paid player is on 3k a week, so I was wondering if the ladies wages reflect anything like this.

So what do we think the likes of the ladies are on. I’d imagine Chamberlin and Greenwood are probably the highest paid but what we thinking, couple of hundred a week or are we talking 1k or more a week?

Just seems with the massive variation in ages within the squad that some might be getting a lot more than say James at 16 yr old. Is she on pocket money or something.

Just watching the Pool highlights again. Such a good game.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Does anyone have any idea of what the wage structure for the woman’s team is? Was speaking to someone about Wilson moving to Aberdeen recently where it would seem his wages are 30k a week, Shinnie Aberdeen’s highest paid player is on 3k a week, so I was wondering if the ladies wages reflect anything like this.

So what do we think the likes of the ladies are on. I’d imagine Chamberlin and Greenwood are probably the highest paid but what we thinking, couple of hundred a week or are we talking 1k or more a week?

Just seems with the massive variation in ages within the squad that some might be getting a lot more than say James at 16 yr old. Is she on pocket money or something.

Just watching the Pool highlights again. Such a good game.
Most of it is anyone's guess really. The gossip says we're paying the squad as fulltimers, and with comparable contracts to WSL1 clubs. Going by what appears typical in the WSL that will put some of our younger/cheaper squad members on between £200/£400 week. We'll be giving the younger ones time to continue in education as well.

Our best paid will be on closer to £1000/week. Greenwood is probably also on an England retainer (and I would guess United guaranteed that they would cover this if she lost her England place by dropping down to the championship). The women who've moved to us from Hibs and some other teams were on part-time contracts and had real jobs (Kirsty Smith was in accounting/finance for example) so we'll have had to make it feel like a proper job to let them move. For comparison, teams like Arsenal, City, Chelsea arebelieved to pay around £35k+/year to their team, more for their stars.

I'm guessing we're also picking up accommodation costs for most of them. Relocation costs for some of them, shared houses for others.

Andersons Dietician

If there was some sort of roll on sub for a set piece taker so everytime you get a corner or free kick you just roll them on to take it would anyone argue with Greenwood being the best in the entire franchise. That left foot is a wand and her deliveries are incredible.

18/19 - initial WSLCup and Chempionship fixtures list

abdul jabbar

CONTINENTAL TYRES LEAGUE CUP

Sun 19 Aug | Liverpool (A) | Prenton Park | Round one | 14:00 BST
Sat 25 Aug | Reading (H) | Leigh Sports Village | Round two | 12:00 BST *
Sat/Sun 15/16 Sep | Round three | United not involved
Wed 5 Dec | Durham (H) | Leigh Sports Village | Round four | 19:00 GMT
Thu 13 Dec | Everton (A) | Venue TBC | Round five | 19:00 GMT
Tue/Wed 8/9 Jan | Opponent TBC | Quarter-final
Tue/Wed 5/6 Feb | Opponent TBC | Semi-final
FA WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP

Sun 09 Sep | Aston Villa (A) | Boldmere St Michaels | 15:00 GMT
Thu 20 Sep | Sheffield United (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 19:00 GMT
Sun 23 Sep | London Bees (A) | The Hive, London | 14:00 GMT
Sun 30 Sep | Durham (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT

Sun 14 Oct | Charlton Athletic (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT
Sun 28 Oct | Leicester City (A) | Quorn FC | 14:00 GMT

Sun 04 Nov | Tottenham Hotspur (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT
Sun 18 Nov | Crystal Palace (A) | Bromley FC | 14:00 GMT
Sun 25 Nov | Millwall Lionesses (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT

Sun 02 Dec | Lewes (A) | Lewes FC | 14:00 GMT
Sun 09 Dec | Durham (A) | Venue TBC | 12:00 GMT

Sun 06 Jan | London Bees (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT
Sun 13 Jan | Charlton Athletic (A) | The Oakwood | 14:00 GMT

Sun 10 Feb | Aston Villa (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT
Wed 20 Feb | Sheffield United (A) | Venue TBC | 12:00 GMT

Sun 10 Mar | Leicester City (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 GMT
Sun 31 Mar | Tottenham Hotspur (A) | Cheshunt FC | 13:00 BST

Sat 20 Apr | Crystal Palace (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 BST
Sun 28 Apr | Millwall Lionesses (A) | Venue TBC | 14:00 BST

Sat 11 May | Lewes (H) | Leigh Sports Village | 12:00 BST

Reactions: jojojo

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Just a general note for people who are finding themselves taking more interest in the women's game. The women's World Cup is next year in France (we've got players in the England and Scotland teams).

The ticket packages are starting to be revealed by FIFA, they'll go on sale in October. The draw hasn't been made yet so if you buy from FIFA, you're buying a location/date. The FA will sell England group games once we know what they are (in December).

However, for people who fancy a summer holiday in France you might be intrigued by things like the Lyon finals package. That covers the final three games (the two semis + the final) - prices start at 50 Euros :eek:
Tempting stuff.

https://tickets.fwwc19.fr/uk/match-schedule

Grande

Just a general note for people who are finding themselves taking more interest in the women's game. The women's World Cup is next year in France (we've got players in the England and Scotland teams).

The ticket packages are starting to be revealed by FIFA, they'll go on sale in October. The draw hasn't been made yet so if you buy from FIFA, you're buying a location/date. The FA will sell England group games once we know what they are (in December).

However, for people who fancy a summer holiday in France you might be intrigued by things like the Lyon finals package. That covers the final three games (the two semis + the final) - prices start at 50 Euros :eek:
Tempting stuff.

https://tickets.fwwc19.fr/uk/match-schedule
Lyon is actually a fabulous city to visit, maybe the best in France.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Top Championship scorers in previous seasons:
2014: Fran Kirby (Reading) - 24
2015: Courtney Sweetman-Kirk (Belles) - 20
2016: Iniabasi Umotong (Oxford) & Jo Wilson (Bees) - 13
2017: Courtney Sweetman-Kirk (Belles) - 9 (some sort of half season thing)
2017-18: Jessica Sigsworth (Belles) - 15

This season there'll be 20 games instead of the usual 18 (9 in 2017). Our scorers so far:

5 - Sigsworth
3 - Green, Hanson, James
2 - Toone, Zelem
1 - Arnot, M.Turner

Kirby's record for Reading was nuts. 67 goals in 42 league appearances.

Grande

Top Championship scorers in previous seasons:
2014: Fran Kirby (Reading) - 24
2015: Courtney Sweetman-Kirk (Belles) - 20
2016: Iniabasi Umotong (Oxford) & Jo Wilson (Bees) - 13
2017: Courtney Sweetman-Kirk (Belles) - 9 (some sort of half season thing)
2017-18: Jessica Sigsworth (Belles) - 15

This season there'll be 20 games instead of the usual 18 (9 in 2017). Our scorers so far:

5 - Sigsworth
3 - Green, Hanson, James
2 - Toone, Zelem
1 - Arnot, M.Turner

Kirby's record for Reading was nuts. 67 goals in 42 league appearances.
Sigsworth having a dey patch, one and a half game without goals, after scoring 5 in the first game. I’m still betting on her to finish our top scorer.