Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Mickson

Does anyone know if the FA Youth Cup game tomorrow against Salford is going to be on MUTV? It doesn't seem like it, but it was arranged with fairly short notice. It would be fun to see them take on Salford City.

Also, does anyone with a bit more knowledge think we have a shot this year? If we can get past Salford and in later rounds have Hugill, Shoretire and Hannibal drop down to their age level, plus the u18s are already doing well in the league with just McNeill and the rest, it seems like we've got a fair bit of talent, but I've no idea what Chelsea and City are like this year.
We have got a great chance, probably the best in ten years. Chelsea is struggling but will certainly be up there. City will too. United, with all their best players, should be favorites. The question is, will they all play? Highly doubtful that Shoretire will. With that said, United has a very good chance even without him.

Conrad

We have got a great chance, probably the best in ten years. Chelsea is struggling but will certainly be up there. City will too. United, with all their best players, should be favorites. The question is, will they all play? Highly doubtful that Shoretire will. With that said, United has a very good chance even without him.
That's good to hear. I do hope they let Shoretire play some of the games though. He's only just on the fringes of the first team, so unless he has to travel to an away game why not also let him drop down.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, we should be one of the 3 or 4 favourites. Although we could really have done without drawing Liverpool in round four (assuming we beat Salford). That's a 50-50 tie very early in the competition.

Our bad luck with tough cup draws obviously doesn't stop with the first team.

Bertie Wooster

Does anyone know if the FA Youth Cup game tomorrow against Salford is going to be on MUTV? It doesn't seem like it, but it was arranged with fairly short notice. It would be fun to see them take on Salford City.

Also, does anyone with a bit more knowledge think we have a shot this year? If we can get past Salford and in later rounds have Hugill, Shoretire and Hannibal drop down to their age level, plus the u18s are already doing well in the league with just McNeill and the rest, it seems like we've got a fair bit of talent, but I've no idea what Chelsea and City are like this year.
Yeah, it's on tonight.
I wasn't expecting it to be, but it's listed on the schedule and mentioned on the official site.

It's a busy run of days for United - U18 in the Cup tonight, senior team v Milan tomorrow, U23 v Brighton on Friday afternoon, U18 again v Sunderland on Saturday lunch time, then first team v West Ham on Sunday night. 5 games in 5 days.

All the youth games are on MUTV, as the last two are home matches. I wasn't sure Salford would be on tonight while they've not been showing U18 away games but it is and I'm really looking forward to that (though irritated we've drawn Liverpool in the next round).

Fanta Stick

Just a heads up that the U23 game against Brighton is on MUTV this afternoon, kicks off at an earlier time than usual - 3pm.

I have just been promoted and a bit shy about starting threads, maybe someone can open one?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We've beaten out competition from Chelsea and Liverpool for 16 year old Ben Grist from Grimsby Town according to Grimsby press.

stubie

We really have put an emphasis on signing very young talent over the past few years.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ben Grist is a CB who can play in midfield too, according to Grimsby manager Ian Holloway.

Loopy

What age is Ben Grist from Grimsby? Will he be going into U16’s or u17’s

we have outstanding CB’s at U15 already performing at U17 & u18 level? Plus a number of U16’ cb’s whom they could offer scholarships to.

Loopy

He's 16 according to the newspaper article.
Yes, I saw that, so are we assuming he will be a first year scholar (he turned 16 between September and now?), or a 16 year old who is already s scholar, whom could turn 17 between now and end of August? (Depending upon birth month a players age could straddle 2 age groups)

do we know whom have been offered Scholarships for next season? This years u16’s, I’m trying to establish how he will fit into the team as they seem to have a number of CB’s in the team (he seem to be a CB not a midfielder looking at the photos).

Mark Pawelek

Yes, I saw that, so are we assuming he will be a first year scholar (he turned 16 between September and now?), or a 16 year old who is already s scholar, whom could turn 17 between now and end of August? (Depending upon birth month a players age could straddle 2 age groups)

do we know whom have been offered Scholarships for next season? This years u16’s, I’m trying to establish how he will fit into the team as they seem to have a number of CB’s in the team (he seem to be a CB not a midfielder looking at the photos).
He'll be in the Under-16s group, won't he. Because he was 15 at the start of this season. Which we know because "Liverpool are monitoring Louis Boyd and Ben Grist from Grimsby Town ... The pair made their first team debuts at 15-years-old this season.". Report from 13 October 2020.

Beaucoup

U16's only have 2 CB left and both are injured. I only know for sure that one has been given a scholarship next season. The club don't care about where everyone fits in the team, if someone becomes available who is better than what they already have, they will buy them.

Loopy

U16's only have 2 CB left and both are injured. I only know for sure that one has been given a scholarship next season. The club don't care about where everyone fits in the team, if someone becomes available who is better than what they already have, they will buy them.
Thanks
I’ve noticed they have been dipping into the U15 talent pool and bringing 1 or 2 up to the U18’s and more to the U17’s.

Beaucoup

Thanks
I’ve noticed they have been dipping into the U15 talent pool and bringing 1 or 2 up to the U18’s and more to the U17’s.
Yes, because they don't have any fit U16 or U17 Central defenders

Varun1

This is quite interesting to me and something I've been wanting to post about: If we do get a cb for the 1st team in the next window, I've been wondering where the youngsters fit in, Axel can't get a lookin, according to some posters Fish is very talented, then we have Kambwala and now Gist. Mengi could be another one.

I know there's this belief that if you're good enough, you'll get chances but I don't quite see how that will happen.

Sure, some of these guys are very young but Axel, Mengi and Fish aren't far off, certainly not Axel.

lenny_1248

how that will happen.
Naturally.
It's not like we have prime Nesta and Cannavaro in the first team. And not all these youngsters are/will be good enough, let's be honest.
The cream always rises to the top.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any news on Bjorn Hardley's injury?

AltiUn

Fish is at least 3 years off playing for the first team I reckon.
I think so too, he looks a potentially great player but with CBs it can be hard to tell where they're at until they go out on loan. He's had quite a tough season really, but that's likely due to losing Bernard then Mengi, he's been almost a lone CB at times.

Mickson

I think so too, he looks a potentially great player but with CBs it can be hard to tell where they're at until they go out on loan. He's had quite a tough season really, but that's likely due to losing Bernard then Mengi, he's been almost a lone CB at times.
Not sure I agree, I think he has been - as an individual - very, very good. But then again, he has one or two mistakes this season but who doesn't.

AltiUn

Not sure I agree, I think he has been - as an individual - very, very good. But then again, he has one or two mistakes this season but who doesn't.
I do actually think he's been very good, I probably worded that poorly.

Tallis

This is quite interesting to me and something I've been wanting to post about: If we do get a cb for the 1st team in the next window, I've been wondering where the youngsters fit in, Axel can't get a lookin, according to some posters Fish is very talented, then we have Kambwala and now Gist. Mengi could be another one.

I know there's this belief that if you're good enough, you'll get chances but I don't quite see how that will happen.

Sure, some of these guys are very young but Axel, Mengi and Fish aren't far off, certainly not Axel.
If we get a new CB, then Axel should go on loan to get fitness and experience. If he does well, he can replace Bailly in the squad.

The others are someway behind. Mengi is on loan and think he needs quite a bit of learning before he can be ready for the first team. Same for Fish. Frankly not sure if either is good enough for the top level.

Varun1

If we get a new CB, then Axel should go on loan to get fitness and experience. If he does well, he can replace Bailly in the squad.

The others are someway behind. Mengi is on loan and think he needs quite a bit of learning before he can be ready for the first team. Same for Fish. Frankly not sure if either is good enough for the top level.
I replied to this thread then was somewhat reluctant to post anymore on this subject, partly because I didn't want to derail the thread.

I agree partly with @spontaneus1 @lenny_1248 @AltiUn and yourself, as was said the cream tends to rise and some of these guys have age on their side.

But, Maguire is 28, Axel 23, Fish 18 I believe, Mengi is a similar age, Kambwala is around 16, and if we buy another CB then he'll probably be around 24-25.
Axel is at an age where he should be starting imo. Fish and Mengi, if they live up to the hype, will be ready in 2-3 years. I guess I expect them to have some appearences around 21-22 whereas the club probably thinks a bit later.

dutchred

Nottingham Forest are at home to the league leaders Norwich City kick off 7pm tonight.

A good opportunity to throw an expert eye over James Garner. :smirk:
It will be a good test for him. Norwich are a good team and will be in the PL next season

Bertie Wooster

Just a reminder that the U23's are away at Tottenham in less than a couple of hours time. It's live on MUTV, kick off at 12.

Bertie Wooster

Just a reminder that the U23's are away at Tottenham in less than a couple of hours time. It's live on MUTV, kick off at 12.
You should make a match thread. This is a news thread.
I'm quite new to this site and I thought there might be a regular person who starts up match day threads, etc, and didn't want to step on any toes.

But I figured the fact the game was starting at 12, not the usual 7pm, might be news to some and so was worth posting in this thread in an attempt to be helpful.

Sea-Cow

I'm quite new to this site and I thought there might be a regular person who starts up match day threads, etc, and didn't want to step on any toes.

But I figured the fact the game was starting at 12, not the usual 7pm, might be news to some and so was worth posting in this thread in an attempt to be helpful.
It was news to me mate, and I appreciated it!