Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Uniquim

Back from a serious injury, goal against Leicester U23, and now training with the first team yesterday. Nice start to the season for D'Mani Mellor.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

It was 1-1 at half time. City took the lead and we equalized through Alvaro Fernandez.

Bertie Wooster

Back from a serious injury, goal against Leicester U23, and now training with the first team yesterday. Nice start to the season for D'Mani Mellor.
Mellor has now joined Salford on loan in League Two. He's on the bench today.

Connor C

The game’s been taken off the MUTV schedule, unless I’m daft and it’s already been shown

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Highlights are up on Mutv for Mancity game

https://mutv.manutd.com/videos/5144?vod_category=1

Edit :

Alvaro Fernandez is good going forward but is defensive game is not great at the moment.

We conceded soft goals so not sure what is wrong with defense coaching because this is recurring theme every season at this level.

Hannibal looked good again in that short highlight package.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Highlights are up on Mutv for Mancity game

https://mutv.manutd.com/videos/5144?vod_category=1

Edit :

Alvaro Fernandez is good going forward but is defensive game is not great at the moment.

We conceded soft goals so not sure what is wrong with defense coaching because this is recurring theme every season at this level.

Hannibal looked good again in that short highlight package.
It seems we played very well in periods but we kept giving away cheap goals. Fernandez does get beaten easily defensively, but he's still young and has time to improve that facet of his game.

Ace of Spades

Tbf, our defending has been shambolic for some time now and the players have changed but the brainfarts have remained, so clearly some issue with the coaching.

The players have done well after leaving the u23s, and not shown the same problems when they go on loan so hopefully the same is true for Fernandez, if he can sort out the defensive side then we have a good prospect.

Mickson

He reminds me of [Irrelevant point].
Yes. I'm not sure I can see Fernandez being effective in a back four, but absolutely as a wing-back. How does it work with scouting, because United never plays with wing-backs, does that matter when you're scouting a player, that they most likely do not fit under the current system, or do they ignore that and just want a great player? @Adnan maybe knows?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yes. I'm not sure I can see Fernandez being effective in a back four, but absolutely as a wing-back. How does it work with scouting, because United never plays with wing-backs, does that matter when you're scouting a player, that they most likely do not fit under the current system, or do they ignore that and just want a great player? @Adnan maybe knows?
I would assume we signed the player at 17 due to his ability on the ball. The role he's playing at fullback, requires someone good going forward in the game today, which is very important. Defensively there's obviously work to do on his game and I would say from a scouting perspective one must back the coaching at the club to improve the flaws in his game at such a young age when it comes to defending.

And if he did end up making at first team level with a suspect defensive game and a strong offensive one, then there's solutions that can also be found to help him defensively. For example a strong DM could position himself to drop into the vacated space or help double up on a potential attacker.

I'm also of the opinion that your fullbacks must be flexible in the game today and provide a prospective coach a genuine option of playing with wing-backs in certain games.

Mickson

I would assume we signed the player at 17 due to his ability on the ball. The role he's playing at fullback, requires someone good going forward in the game today, which is very important. Defensively there's obviously work to do on his game and I would say from a scouting perspective one must back the coaching at the club to improve the flaws in his game at such a young age when it comes to defending.

And if he did end up making at first team level with a suspect defensive game and a strong offensive one, then there's solutions that can also be found to help him defensively. For example a strong DM could position himself to drop into the vacated space or help double up on a potential attacker.

I'm also of the opinion that your fullbacks must be flexible in the game today and provide a prospective coach a genuine option of playing with wing-backs in certain games.
Thank you for the answer. I'm not ruling out that he can improve his defensive side either, I also think he could be an option in CM. However, I love him as a player and he is someone I love to watch so hopefully he'll be given the chance in the first team eventually.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thank you for the answer. I'm not ruling out that he can improve his defensive side either, I also think he could be an option in CM. However, I love him as a player and he is someone I love to watch so hopefully he'll be given the chance in the first team eventually.
I agree with you mate.

lysglimt

Scout
Obviously Fernandez's general attacking play is good, but I would also question his short passing as well as he can be quite sloppy.
My main concern with him is that he doesn't seem awake the first 10 minutes. I can't even count how many times he has given the ball needlessly away in the first 10 minutes of a game. And he has so much talent, that really shouldn't be necessary.

Beaucoup

U18s play Fleetwoods U18s in a friendly tomorrow, should mark the return of Kambwala

Mickson

Info on all the loan players from last week, most of them doing well which is good to see. Pretty much all of them are playing regularly as well.

Last edited: