Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Loopy

A teams results cannot judge how individuals play. Regarding Sharpe, playing up doesn't really mean anything, he's probably not in the top 10 of the best U16's, I think getting bought from another club has always given players certain benefits over home grown players.
I totally agree with you, new kids arrive with a fanfare reception, given lots of opportunities and experience the boys whom have been with the club for years don’t get.
I thought it was due to cost. Hone grown boy from 9 years old is free, boy from another club is thousands / millions. They have been uprooted and “sold a dream” and given a pathway.
it must be really frustrating for the homegrown lads.

Bigsid

I totally agree with you, new kids arrive with a fanfare reception, given lots of opportunities and experience the boys whom have been with the club for years don’t get.
I thought it was due to cost. Hone grown boy from 9 years old is free, boy from another club is thousands / millions. They have been uprooted and “sold a dream” and given a pathway.
Won't change as clubs changed philosophy. More on the way.........

Mickson

Can anyone see who assisted Garnacho's goal against Stoke yesterday? I've tried to watch the replays plenty of times but can't see who made the pass...

Demaw

I agree with you on the new kids coming in but in the end Mason, Marcus, Scott, Brandon, Dean etc were kids with us from early days and they made it. We haven't seen many kids leave us and go on to great things. Pog was one we lost though. :annoyed: It is a good sign for our academy that many kids we have watched play for us have had professional careers so that is always something we are very good at. Some of our top kids are looking good for the future as well.

Bertie Wooster

Isn't it also likely due to comparable ability and potential by that age?

If we're buying a player at 15-18, it's because they've developed into a good player by that later age. If we've got a homegrown player because they showed good promise at 5-8 and have played with us through the age groups, it doesn't mean they've necessarily developed into as good a player at 15-18 than we can buy in from elsewhere?

So I can completely see why, if we've taken what we regard as a quality young player from elsewhere who has a better chance of making it, that they'd get more opportunities than a player whose been with us from a young age but who hasn't kicked on to suggest top potential by the later youth groups.

Beaucoup

Isn't it also likely due to comparable ability and potential by that age?

If we're buying a player at 15-18, it's because they've developed into a good player by that later age. If we've got a homegrown player because they showed good promise at 5-8 and have played with us through the age groups, it doesn't mean they've necessarily developed into as good a player at 15-18 than we can buy in from elsewhere?

So I can completely see why, if we've taken what we regard as a quality young player from elsewhere who has a better chance of making it, that they'd get more opportunities than a player whose been with us from a young age but who hasn't kicked on to suggest top potential by the later youth groups.
If we were bringing in real high level players then I would agree, however we sometimes bring in lads that aren't as good as the lads we already have.

Bigsid

If we were bringing in real high level players then I would agree, however we sometimes bring in lads that aren't as good as the lads we already have.
Recruitment can be hit and miss at ages under 16 as boys haven't finished developing. Look at the number of England players in the younger age groups that come through to play at the top end. I don't care what anyone says the philosophy of the club has changed and we are now buying in heavily. I would suggest more heavily than any other club in the country. Between 15 and 16 I can count over 10 with many more on the way. Time will tell whether this tactic will be successful in the long run.

Demaw

Mather is tall and has that gliding technique. Looks an interesting prospect in attack. Sometimes you don't think a lot and then he does something really good and you go, yeah, he could be a player.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Yeah it was Mather, he got 3 assists yesterday
Yeah...sometimes players are given assists because they simply passed the ball to someone.

But on Saturday, apart from the corner, the other two assists were very good and well timed through balls that allowed Norkett and Garnacho to get strikes on goal.

U/16's apparently beat Stoke 6-1.

Sea-Cow

Recruitment can be hit and miss at ages under 16 as boys haven't finished developing. Look at the number of England players in the younger age groups that come through to play at the top end. I don't care what anyone says the philosophy of the club has changed and we are now buying in heavily. I would suggest more heavily than any other club in the country. Between 15 and 16 I can count over 10 with many more on the way. Time will tell whether this tactic will be successful in the long run.
The second time you have made a similar statement -- do you have insider knowledge? Just curious!

Mickson

Can't wait to see Ethan Laird at United, I'm getting more and more excited about Galbraith and Levitt, too... Especially when you look at our midfield today.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can't wait to see Ethan Laird at United, I'm getting more and more excited about Galbraith and Levitt, too... Especially when you look at our midfield today.

Good to see regarding Garner and Cooper, they seemed like a good match in theory.

Mr. MUJAC

I don't see any new trend that suggests our philosophy has changed in any way.

We have always bought in players at that age group. Some from Scotland...some from Ireland...some from other English clubs and some from Europe.

It's only been since about 2007 that any club has been in the position to bring through kids who have been with the club since they were 7-8 years old. It's a modern process and for the 70 years previously all the 15-18 year-old kids joining us either came from school or other clubs. The same with every club.

If we exclude English players (because that's been going on for decades) over the last couple of seasons we have brought in about 5-6 players each year from abroad. That's about normal compared to past seasons.

For example:

2003/04 - Ken Cooper, Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Marcus Neumayr, Floribert N'Galula, Jon Spector, Jami Puustinen (7)
2010/11 - Joe Coll, Mats Daehli, Liam Jacob, Rafael Leao, Luke McCullough, Gyliano Van Velzen (6)
2011/12 - Andreas Pereira, Ryan McConnell, Sam Byrne, Declan Dalley, Pierluigi Gollini, Adnan Januzaj, Paddy McNair (7)

All that has happened is that when we have recruited heavily in England, we don't get a lot of players from abroad. The other thing that has happened is that the lads coming over from Ireland and from Scotland has reduced dramatically since about 2013.

We lost our way with recruitment when Edward Woodward turned up...we lost loads of potential signings which affected results at youth level. Paul McGuinness lost his job over that situation...the following season we invested heavily again to improve the quality with Galbraith, Chong and others arriving.

Last season we brought in 6 new players from abroad but none from Scotland or Ireland. That could be a Brexit thing but the numbers are the same.

This season we have brought in no-one from abroad (probably due to COVID/Brexit) but as far as the U/18's are concerned, Sharpe has arrived from Derby County and Ennis from Liverpool. That's about it. That's been our lowest recruitment since 2002/03.

I have no idea how many foreign players other clubs recruit as I don't follow their Academy set-ups.

I have no idea who all these other players are who are on their way...so we will have to wait and see. But the 'tactic' is 20 years old.

Last edited:

AussieDevil

Could anyone here give a quick rundown on how our young lads are developing. We frequently hear the names of Shoretire and Mejbri, they look like they’re next in line, but more so regarding our even younger players such as Mainoo, how do they look? Do any look like world beaters like Greenwood did when he was coming through ?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Could anyone here give a quick rundown on how our young lads are developing. We frequently hear the names of Shoretire and Mejbri, they look like they’re next in line, but more so regarding our even younger players such as Mainoo, how do they look? Do any look like world beaters like Greenwood did when he was coming through ?
The question you're asking is very difficult to answer. And I say that because the younger the player is, the harder it is to predict the players future projection.

But IMO I'm looking forward to seeing how Willy Kambwala, Isak Hansen and Kobbie Mainoo develop over the years. All three look like they're very exciting talents to me. Mainoo is younger than the other two by around a year but could develop into a very interesting player due to his high level of touch and technique for his age. But these are the players I'm looking most forward to watching from the current crop in the u18s. But I suspect all 3 will be promoted to the u23 team before long, especially Kambwala and Isak Hansen who are both 17.

Mr. MUJAC

Firstly no-one is having the impact that Greenwood had over the few years before getting a call up.

Of the others, Hansen has shown glimpses of real talent but not had a long run in the team whilst Kambwala has had over a year out with injury. He played one full game over a year ago and since then just a 20 min cameo and 60 minutes last weekend. Meanwhile Mainoo has taken the step up to U/18's exceptionally well but again nothing to suggest he is ready for the first team.

A case of wait and see how they all develop. There will always be someone else who develops off the radar so might be interesting to watch the progress of Jackson, Berry, Mather, McAllister and one or two others.

Demaw

I think all the kids you mention do have some excellent ability and hopefully keep moving to the 1st team.

Classical Mechanic

Academy players/products with England this break

u21
Angel Gomes
James Garner

u20
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi

u19
Will Fish
Shola Shoretire

u18
Samuel Mather
Daniel Gore

u17

Kobbie Mainoo
Habeeb Ogunneye

Last edited:

Demaw

Academy players/products with England this break

u21
Angel Gomes
James Garner

u20
Ethan Laird
Teden Mengi

u19
Will Fish
Shola Shoretire

u18
Samuel Mather
Daniel Gore

u17

Kobbie Mainoo
Habeeb Ogunneye
Personally I have high hopes for Ethan, Shola, Sam, Daniel, Kobbie and I hear Habeeb. That is pretty good talent right there potentially coming through the academy.

lysglimt

Scout
I would say a lot of the most talented players have taken a step in the wrong direction so far for different reasons- of course the season is still very young so it could change. Hannibal has mainly been suspeneded, Shoretire has been nowhere near where he was at his best last season, Garner has so far not been anywhere near his performances last season for Forest. Hansen been injured a lot- Hugill the same. Galbraith has been ok in a dreadful side.

Ethan Laird is the one really taking his chances at the moment - and if he improves defensively, he could easily find himself back at Old Trafford next season as cover for AWB.

mat85

Someone I know in the ni set up said during the international break they were saying galbraith will be loaned into the championship in january

Demaw

Two new youth games today - two new games that will not be televised. Another day with MUTV!
It's getting hopeless. You can't see the youth playing much these days. If I miss the full game (quite late being in Australia) there is no full replay and I get the 20 minute highlights which is annoying.