Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Varun1

Seems like it mate.
Heard the U16's coach might be stepping up
Any feedback on Binnion and the U16 coach?

I posted a couple of weeks ago that Binnion was going to the 23's, also believe a coach from the England setup will also be joining and I've since heard the U16s coach, who joined us from Charlton a couple of seasons may be stepping up with the existing U18's assistant coach staying in the role, not 100% confirmed, but I got the info from the same source that was spot on about Ryan and Wood leaving.
Thanks mate. Always enjoy reading snippets like this.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

Any feedback on Binnion and the U16 coach?
I posted a couple of weeks ago that Binnion was going to the 23's, also believe a coach from the England setup will also be joining and I've since heard the U16s coach, who joined us from Charlton a couple of seasons may be stepping up with the existing U18's assistant coach staying in the role, not 100% confirmed, but I got the info from the same source that was spot on about Ryan and Wood leaving.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Adam Lawrence?
For the assistant coach that is.

VDG17

PNE looking into loaning Zidane Iqbal next year, apparently he trained with them recently/last year.
That would be a sign the new policy to let people train temporarily with lower league clubs is working. They'll know already whether they like how he trains/fits the group so it makes it less likely he goes and ends up plonked on the bench which seems to happen to our players far too often.

Reactions: 711

slavishduke

@Adnan I remember talking to you a few months ago about the changes needed at United, and you were saying that both Neil Wood and Travis Binnon should leave the club. Seems you got your wish with Neil atleast, any changes to that thinking after the U-18s win in the cup?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan I remember talking to you a few months ago about the changes needed at United, and you were saying that both Neil Wood and Travis Binnon should leave the club. Seems you got your wish with Neil atleast, any changes to that thinking after the U-18s win in the cup?
I actually said both Neil Ryan and Neil Wood should leave. Because I felt the coaching (especially positional play off the ball) wasn't of the requisite standard imo.

pascell

Championship? If they play him that’s a good move.

Harrop is still there but was on loan last season.
Yeah they just faltered a little so didn't make the play offs, they have high hopes with their new manager and hoping to get Cameron Archer back on loan too. There's quite a few good teams in the Championship now.

KM

Our u14s won the Albert Phelan club defeating City in final.

Demaw

This group of kids look very very impressive. Amir and Shea highlights!! Any more coming through from 14 and 15's?? Always herd about McAllister.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"FORMER Cambridge United Head of Performance Matt Walker has been appointed Head of Athletic Development for the Professional Development Phase (17s to 23s) at Manchester United."

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah they just faltered a little so didn't make the play offs, they have high hopes with their new manager and hoping to get Cameron Archer back on loan too. There's quite a few good teams in the Championship now.
Can't see why Villa wouldn't want to give Archer a chance in their first team squad next year personally. Watkins is very average and Ings is... something.

:lol: that celebration is chaos, love it!

Santos J

https://trainingground.guru/article...nley-after-a-decade-to-join-manchester-united

ALEX OUZOUNOGLOU has left Burnley after a decade to become Head of Athletic Development for the Youth Development Phase (12s to 16s) at Manchester United.
Ouzounoglou joined the Clarets in July 2012 and went on to become their Academy Head of Sport Science. He had previously been a strength and conditioning coach at Portsmouth.

Last week TGG reported that former Cambridge Head of Performance Matt Walker was taking the Head of Athletic Development for the Professional Development Phase (17s to 23s) at United.
Ouzounoglou is the latest in a line of staff departures at Burnley since ALK Capital took over the club in December 2020. The senior ones are listed at the bottom of the page.
The Clarets are currently without a permanent manager after being relegated from the Premier League last weekend, although Belgium legend Vincent Kompany is on the verge of taking over, according to reports.

Burnley have also failed to pass their Category One Academy audit after issues were highlighted. The case is due to go before the Professional Game Academy Audit Company (PGAAC) Board and then, potentially, before the Professional Game Board, which will act as a final arbiter.

The Clarets were awarded provisional Category One status in 2020, having started off EPPP as a Category Three side. Paul Jenkins is the club's Academy Director, although he worked with the first team from March to the end of the season following the sacking of Sean Dyche as manager.

KM

Wonder if these are new positions being created or the old ones are replaced or have left?

Beaucoup

Wonder if these are new positions being created or the old ones are replaced or have left?
We have heads of player development, not athletic development, I don't think these positions existed previously.

KM

We have heads of player development, not athletic development, I don't think these positions existed previously.
so that seems like a good development. On paper, anyway.

IRN-BRUno

Nathan Bishop linked with a loan to Exeter, I think they were also interested last year before he went to Mansfield. Would be a good move for him to step up to League 1 level, guaranteed to be first choice keeper there as well.

Mickson

Nathan Bishop linked with a loan to Exeter, I think they were also interested last year before he went to Mansfield. Would be a good move for him to step up to League 1 level, guaranteed to be first choice keeper there as well.
Completely pointless, though. His contract expires in 2023 and we just keep loaning him out for no apparent reason.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Justin Cochrane is leaving to become first team coach at Brentford. It was inevitable he was going to leave at some stage to pursue a career in coaching.

mat85

We seem to have appointed a lot of good coaches over the last few years. Don't remember this level of interest in taking our staff before. Hopefully can find as talented replacements

TwoSheds

Playing coach? How many McShanes are there knocking around who are happy to come and do a year or two player coaching knowing they'll never get anywhere near the first team but where they're also talented enough as a leader / coach to be useful?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Playing coach? How many McShanes are there knocking around who are happy to come and do a year or two player coaching knowing they'll never get anywhere near the first team but where they're also talented enough as a leader / coach to be useful?
Loads?

Brighton have had several, Southampton have one, clubs like Bayern Munich have always had players in their 30s in their second team. 100s of players near retirement every year and plenty would be more than happy to coach at one of the biggest clubs in the world while also occasionally getting to play in a less physically taxing league.

TwoSheds

Loads?

Brighton have had several, Southampton have one, clubs like Bayern Munich have always had players in their 30s in their second team. 100s of players near retirement every year and plenty would be more than happy to coach at one of the biggest clubs in the world while also occasionally getting to play in a less physically taxing league.
Seems a bit tragic to me but there you go. If we can find a good candidate fair enough, sensible enough idea in theory. Wes Brown improved no end playing next to Blanc for example.

Bertie Wooster

I know there's a restructuring, and one or two appointments to come in different roles like keeper coach, new player coach, etc, but have we actually replaced Cochrane, Wood and Ryan, who have all left, with any incomings?

It seems to read that Binnion, Dempsey and McShane will just add those roles to their previous jobs - so Binnion still U18 manager but doing Cochrane's job as well now. Dempsey continuing his existing job but also taking over from Wood as the U23 manager as well. And McShane continuing his floating role but now also replacing Ryan as U23 assistant. Which seems to spread them a bit thin, with 3 this season doing the jobs of 6 last season?

Mickson

I know there's a restructuring, and one or two appointments to come in different roles like keeper coach, new player coach, etc, but have we actually replaced Cochrane, Wood and Ryan, who have all left, with any incomings?

It seems to read that Binnion, Dempsey and McShane will just add those roles to their previous jobs - so Binnion still U18 manager but doing Cochrane's job as well now. Dempsey continuing his existing job but also taking over from Wood as the U23 manager as well. And McShane continuing his floating role but now also replacing Ryan as U23 assistant. Which seems to spread them a bit thin, with 3 this season doing the jobs of 6 last season?
This is my worry too. It seems like, especially Binnion, have two very demanding jobs?

Beaucoup

There's definitely a Brain drain going on at Utd in relation to the coaching side, seem to have lots of "old school" type of coaches

Varun1

There's definitely a Brain drain going on at Utd in relation to the coaching side, seem to have lots of "old school" type of coaches
That's what I feared, is it an actual brain drain and old-school coaches not being moved on or a natural cycle where talented coaches are being recruited for higher positions at other clubs and we'll be replacing them with equally talented coahces?

Am not a 'doom and gloom' type of person, but it has felt a bit like that lately. More negative news around the club than positives.

stealthy

I read it that way, dump extra responsibility on existing staff and save money.
Could be wrong but worries me that club in financial mess

stealthy

Club is not in a financial mess.....
Hopefully not but guess the end of transfer window will go some way to painting picture. OT getting tired, no CL money, owners taking huge dividends, market value at lowest since takeover I think I read, and owners that won’t let go of the cash cows horns. Let’s hope they make some good astute buys and get back amongst top four. Fingers legs and everything crossed

KM

McShane is not a playing coach now and just a coach.

KM

Loads?

Liverpool are hiring one also. Jay Spearing.