Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Manchester United’s Zidane Iqbal has trained with Preston, but mostly for work experience rather than as a potential summer signing.

Preston is chasing a series of signings this summer and will appeal to potential loan additions.

Daniel Iversen, Sepp van den Berg and Cameron Archer all became stars of Preston after being loaned out from Premier League clubs.

If the top teams want to send young players out on loan, Preston should appear as an appealing option.

It now looks like Manchester United could have a couple of players of interest in the North End.

Manchester United’s Zidane Iqbal has trained with Preston
Lancs Live reports that Iqbal trained with Preston as part of United’s work experience program.

This sees United talents on their way out to clubs in the Football League to train around senior players.

For example, Ipswich Town recently took on United duo Will Fish and Charlie Savage for their work experience.

Joe Hugill and Charlie Wellens went to Forest Green Rovers, Charlie McNeill and Dillon Hoogewerf went to Sheffield Wednesday, and AFC Wimbledon took on Rhys Bennett and Dermot Mee.

We understand that another United player accompanied Iqbal to training in Preston back in March.

Ryan Lowe indicated at the time that the players were training with Preston and this is where Iqbal comes in.

Lancs Live suggests United want to wait until January to loan Iqbal out, but Preston are in the mix.

This was the news from May19th. Interesting if Iqbal joins Preston now. Think it's probably likely.

UTD_Since_1978

Just had a look at the UEFA U19 European Championship squads & no UTD player is taking part, which is a shame.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
There's reports we're about to sign 15 year old (turns 16 in a few days) left back Jayden Meghoma from Spurs. He's said to be amongst the biggest talents in his age group. The highlights vid below displays some of his attributes, including a real turn of pace.

Beaucoup

There's reports we're about to sign 15 year old (turns 16 in a few days) left back Jayden Meghoma from Spurs. He's said to be amongst the biggest talents in his age group. The highlights vid below displays some of his attributes, including a real turn of pace.

Best u16 left back in the country, very good signing, more to come

Demaw

Best u16 left back in the country, very good signing, more to come
Can you give any tidbits Beaucoup, you usually are a great source of information. No worries if you cannot say as well. Are things looking up more at United?

stealthy

Can you give any tidbits Beaucoup, you usually are a great source of information. No worries if you cannot say as well. Are things looking up more at United?
promising England youth left back, other usual suspects are allegedly in for him so will do well to get that over the line

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This was the news from May19th. Interesting if Iqbal joins Preston now. Think it's probably likely.
Be good if we got someone on loan to Preston, picked up a season ticket for them for next season.

khoazany

Ennis/Williams - Norkett/Wheatley - Mather/Berry/Sharpe/Missin
Gore/Curley - Mainoo/Moorhouse - Oyedele/McAllister
Murray/Meghoma/Nolan - Fredricson/Kingdon - Jackson/Aljofree/Parker - Ogunneye/Lawrence/Nolan
Wooster/Hanbury/Myles/Harrison

Probably needs another CF to be challenging enough to retain FA Youth Cup but otherwise some real depth there.

Grande

Murray/Meghoma/Nolan - Fredricson/Kingdon - Jackson/Aljofree/Parker - Ogunneye/Lawrence/Nolan

Probably needs another CF to be challenging enough to retain FA Youth Cup but otherwise some real depth there.
So among the newbies in the U18, who are considered the biggest potentials?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So among the newbies in the U18, who are considered the biggest potentials?
From what I've seen myself (very conservative view): Mainoo and Oyedele. I've read great things about McAllister but haven't seen much of him, sadly.

If I were to be a bit more open, then Ennis, Gore, Murray, and Fredricson on top of Mainoo and Oyedele.

EDIT: Missed the part where you asked about the new players only

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
From what I've seen myself (very conservative view): Mainoo and Oyedele. I've read great things about McAllister but haven't seen much of him, sadly.

If I were to be a bit more open, then Ennis, Gore, Murray, and Fredricson on top of Mainoo and Oyedele.
None of them are really the newbies, they’re all experienced U18 players apart from McAllister.

Bertie Wooster

None of them are really the newbies, they’re all experienced U18 players apart from McAllister.
Oh, the newbies. Oops, I missed that part. Yeah, in that case, I'll just say McAllister.
Adam Berry looks like he has good delivery of crosses and set pieces, and strikes a good shot from open play / free kicks. He also looks to have quick feet, but I'm not so sure how quick he is along the ground which may be his biggest weakness as a winger?

I quite liked the look of Jack Moorhouse in last summer's U16 games in NI. Looked a fairly decent all round CM. But he didn't seem to do much in the few U18 games he got last season - although he was playing an age group up so hopefully he'll show more in the upcoming season.

But, yeah, McAllister is probably the most promising newbie at this stage.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Adam Berry looks like he has good delivery of crosses and set pieces, and strikes a good shot from open play / free kicks. He also looks to have quick feet, but I'm not so sure how quick he is along the ground which may be his biggest weakness as a winger?
Yeah, that's my reservation with Berry, too. He's not necessarily a dribbler of the ball but does make some good runs and gets into decent positions. He can become a professional footballer, but whether he'll become a Premier League player is a whole other matter altogether.

lysglimt

Scout

Would consider us to be favourites to retain the FA Youth Cup - that midfield of Oyedele/Mainoo and Gore is insanely good at this level. But agree with you that we lack something up front.

We need an rvn

Youth goalkeeper signing sorted :drool:
Just out of curiosity as none come to mind - when was the last time we had a keeper become a starting United XI player and keep the position for years? I know we've produced the odd keeper or two, but I can't recall any that made the starting XI keeper position their own consistently for years for us.

Not the right thread but don't think it's new thread worthy either

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We might be about to poach another player from Spurs who's is considered a big talent. He's turned down a scholarship and it seems to be a choice between United or City for the youngster.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You would of course say the same thing if Chelsea poached a few of ours ? :)
That's already happening at every level, apart from that Spurs deserves all the shit they get, especially when it comes to poaching young players and tapping up their young players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At least you dont hold a grudge :) That was one player I never understood why anyone got upset about - as he clearly wasn't good enough
It's not holding grudge or how many players. What they did was pathetic. Fryers was a nothing player, the way it was handled was just very poor.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

I quite liked the look of Jack Moorhouse in last summer's U16 games in NI. Looked a fairly decent all round CM. But he didn't seem to do much in the few U18 games he got last season - although he was playing an age group up so hopefully he'll show more in the upcoming season.

But, yeah, McAllister is probably the most promising newbie at this stage.
I rate Moorhouse but he was injured most of the second half of the season...

Bertie Wooster

I rate Moorhouse but he was injured most of the second half of the season...
Ah, thanks. I hadn't realised he'd missed the second half of the season with injury. I didn't know if he'd just dropped back down to the U16's when he wasn't featuring in the U18 games.

He, and Berry, are the two 'newbies' I'm most looking forward to watching next season.

Mr. MUJAC

The U/18's are in Edinburgh as part of pre-season preparations and will take part in a tournament. No other details at the moment.

The Reserves are still in pre-season training at Carrington as far as I know.

Beaucoup

The U/18's are in Edinburgh as part of pre-season preparations and will take part in a tournament. No other details at the moment.

The Reserves are still in pre-season training at Carrington as far as I know.
some of the 21s are also in Scotland

Mr. MUJAC

Most of United's juniors have been in Scotland all week in a training camp at Oriam, Scotlands National Performance Centre in Edinburgh.

United's U/18's defeated Hearts 5-1 in a friendly yesterday. Most players got half a game and new signing Elyh Harrison came on in the second half. Goals were scored by Norkett, Berry, Murray, Williams and Wheatley.

The U/21's had an equally successful match against Hearts winning 6-1. Goals from Mejia (p), Forson, McNeill (p), Mather, Shoretire and Hansen-Aaroen. Again most players got half a game.

Galbraith and Shoretire played but no signs of Laird, B. Williams, Mengi (injured I think), Bernard from last seasons loanees.

lysglimt

Scout
Most of United's juniors have been in Scotland all week in a training camp at Oriam, Scotlands National Performance Centre in Edinburgh.

United's U/18's defeated Hearts 5-1 in a friendly yesterday. Most players got half a game and new signing Elyh Harrison came on in the second half. Goals were scored by Norkett, Berry, Murray, Williams and Wheatley.

The U/21's had an equally successful match against Hearts winning 6-1. Goals from Mejia (p), Forson, McNeill (p), Mather, Shoretire and Hansen-Aaroen. Again most players got half a game.

Galbraith and Shoretire played but no signs of Laird, B. Williams, Mengi (injured I think), Bernard from last seasons loanees.
well Ethan Laird is in Thailand so no surprise there :)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
well Ethan Laird is in Thailand so no surprise there :)
On top of that, according to Whitwell, Brandon Williams has a minor fitness issue, so he's at Carrington for the time being. I'm surprised that Di'Shon Bernard didn't get involved, honestly. I wonder if he has a fitness issue, too (probably related to the injuries that he dealt with in his last loan spell?).