Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

lenny_1248

Seems like Shola is back to his best. Hope he stays, always thought there is some player in there.

lysglimt

Scout
Have to give Shoretire a lot of credit - I was really critical of him just a few weeks back for looking lacklustre (if I am being kind) - but he has really stepped up in the last couple of games.

Remember the geese

Have to give Shoretire a lot of credit - I was really critical of him just a few weeks back for looking lacklustre (if I am being kind) - but he has really stepped up in the last couple of games.
Yeah I don't want us to lose him. I think he's a very talented young player and should be out on loan in the Championship with Laird, Fernandez, Hannibal and Amad.

Beaucoup

U16s lost all four games in the Premier League Nationals this weekend, lose again tomorrow and they will finish last.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah I don't want us to lose him. I think he's a very talented young player and should be out on loan in the Championship with Laird, Fernandez, Hannibal and Amad.
He is probably too young - it's easy to forget that Shoretire is only 18 - and when he is fairly small, it will be too early.

Beaucoup

U16s lost all four games in the Premier League Nationals this weekend, lose again tomorrow and they will finish last.
Beat Southampton in the final game, finished 27th out of 28, a very poor showing over all

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Does anyone know if City’s u18s matches are open to spectators? We’re playing in a couple weeks and thinking of going up to Manchester that weekend so would like to watch it but their academy ticket page just says not available on all matches.

@Beaucoup @Bigsid might one of you know?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
He is probably too young - it's easy to forget that Shoretire is only 18 - and when he is fairly small, it will be too early.
On some of the footage I've seen, it looks as though he has grown a bit, he doesn't look so tiny coming up against older players in the Fleetwood game.
His 'going off the boil' recently good be down to a growth spurt, I'm sure that he will get a good loan next season, and then we'll see how good he is.

Beaucoup

Does anyone know if City’s u18s matches are open to spectators? We’re playing in a couple weeks and thinking of going up to Manchester that weekend so would like to watch it but their academy ticket page just says not available on all matches.

@Beaucoup @Bigsid might one of you know?
Don’t think so, Etihad Campus is harder to get in than Carrington.

Varun1

Is Mengi injured? I don't think he has gone out on loan and not featuring for the U21 afaik.

Bristol_Red_87

What's the general consensus from those in-the-know with regards the U18/U21's performances this season?

I feel like we've neglected the Youth elements for a number of years now?

Too much focus on the players for today from the board, resulting in poor oversight of/investment in youth setup?

Dwindling pulling power, much akin to the first team, meaning attracting the crem de la crem of World wide talent is becoming increasingly more difficult?

Little or no oversight from the first team management (if this was the case previously, is this now destined to change under ETH?)

Relatively substandard facilities at Carrington (again can be linked to pulling power)?

We are a side renowned for developing and giving Youth a chance but without doing the numbers, it doesn't seem unfeasible to think we aren't far away from fielding a first team squad without an academy graduate present, after 85 years of unbroken representation..

Bondi77

What's the general consensus from those in-the-know with regards the U18/U21's performances this season?

Too much focus on the players for today from the board, resulting in poor oversight of/investment in youth setup?

Dwindling pulling power, much akin to the first team, meaning attracting the crem de la crem of World wide talent is becoming increasingly more difficult?

Little or no oversight from the first team management (if this was the case previously, is this now destined to change under ETH?)

Relatively substandard facilities at Carrington (again can be linked to pulling power)?

We are a side renowned for developing and giving Youth a chance but without doing the numbers, it doesn't seem unfeasible to think we aren't far away from fielding a first team squad without an academy graduate present, after 85 years of unbroken representation..
Shoretire has been on the bench recently and the kid Mainoo (remember the name) made it as well and Garnacho seems to be doing pretty well atm so I think It will be a few more years before we see no representation in the first team.

mav_9me

Not to be cocky but that will continue for a while. Right now we have Rashford, McT to keep it going for a while. If in the next few years we get one or two squad/first team players (for ex Mejbri, Laird from current and Mainoo and who knows in the future, and dont forget players we buy into academy count) that should continue. And we more or less always keep one or two on the bench esp with the bigger benches nowadays.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

We have made significant investment in the youth team in recent seasons. Obviously due to Brexit and COVID that has has been curtailed but it is the same for all English clubs.

Due to Brexit it will now be very difficult to attract overseas talent but once again it affects all English clubs not just United. I wouldn't say we have neglected the Academy at all.

I agree that changing the manager at first team level 4/5 times in under ten years makes it more difficult for a consistent approach so hopefully under Ten Hag we can get some continuity going.

Whilst our facilities at Carrington may need to be upgraded they are nowhere near 'sub-standard' so not sure who is reporting this. WE are still attracting plenty of young players because the pathway to the first team is still one of the best in the country. Garnacho recently confirmed this in one of his interviews.

We won the FA Youth Cup for a record 11th time last season so clearly we have a good conveyor belt still in operation.

On average we had 6 players in the first team squad last season and so far it's similar this season. Once some additional players leave the club it will open more opportunities for the youth to take their chances.

We aren't perfect, we can still improve but it's not a major issue.

Varun1

We have made significant investment in the youth team in recent seasons. Obviously due to Brexit and COVID that has has been curtailed but it is the same for all English clubs.

Due to Brexit it will now be very difficult to attract overseas talent but once again it affects all English clubs not just United. I wouldn't say we have neglected the Academy at all.

I agree that changing the manager at first team level 4/5 times in under ten years makes it more difficult for a consistent approach so hopefully under Ten Hag we can get some continuity going.

Whilst our facilities at Carrington may need to be upgraded they are nowhere near 'sub-standard' so not sure who is reporting this. WE are still attracting plenty of young players because the pathway to the first team is still one of the best in the country. Garnacho recently confirmed this in one of his interviews.

We won the FA Youth Cup for a record 11th time last season so clearly we have a good conveyor belt still in operation.

On average we had 6 players in the first team squad last season and so far it's similar this season. Once some additional players leave the club it will open more opportunities for the youth to take their chances.

We aren't perfect, we can still improve but it's not a major issue.
Are clubs, especially United, doing anything differently at youth recruitment level to offset the reduced number of foreign players that we are able to recruit? There were bits on South American players being easier to recruit but I guess that only happens when they're 18+, and even then we only got Pellistri.

And how about the Russian youth ST, are we still monitoring his progress? Are we exploring ways to bring him in?

Mr. MUJAC

Are clubs, especially United, doing anything differently at youth recruitment level to offset the reduced number of foreign players that we are able to recruit? There were bits on South American players being easier to recruit but I guess that only happens when they're 18+, and even then we only got Pellistri.

And how about the Russian youth ST, are we still monitoring his progress? Are we exploring ways to bring him in?
I don't have any insight about the Russian striker but I guess Brexit rules will still apply. As you say...with visa's so hard to obtain, there will be some sort of strategy to get players who are 18+ into the club like Amad and Pellestri.

Obviously that is outside the Academy.

Personally, I think the club will be doing some heavy investing in scouting to ensure we get some of the better talents. The difficulty of course is that they will already be signed up to other Academies so money will become an even more important factor.

Time will tell.

Beaucoup

We tried to sign at least 6 to 8 players in the off season and failed to convince any of them to join

stealthy

We tried to sign at least 6 to 8 players in the off season and failed to convince any of them to join
wow that’s both surprising and concerning, but why do we need to sign that many when we have kids that have been coached since 8 or 9 in the system?

do rival academies rely so heavily on recruiting externally for U18?

stealthy

wow that’s both surprising and concerning, but why do we need to sign that many when we have kids that have been coached since 8 or 9 in the system?

just checked U18 and 21 league tables and Liverpool and City seem to be NW best teams if league tables mean anything?
I’ve seen mention of United putting younger sides on the pitch to develop talent rather than winning teams

Ace of Spades

Did we ?? We seemed to only be mildly linked to a few and there really were not many rumours. I think the only serious ones were two from Spurs who did not join IIRC.

Varun1

I don't have any insight about the Russian striker but I guess Brexit rules will still apply. As you say...with visa's so hard to obtain, there will be some sort of strategy to get players who are 18+ into the club like Amad and Pellestri.

Obviously that is outside the Academy.

Personally, I think the club will be doing some heavy investing in scouting to ensure we get some of the better talents. The difficulty of course is that they will already be signed up to other Academies so money will become an even more important factor.

Time will tell.
Thak you Mr. MUJAC - as always, we really appreciate your feedback.

Beaucoup

It was more a case of failing to sign one then moving onto another in the same position, rather than signing 8. We were probably after signing 2 or 3

Kingslayer18

Anyone know what has happened to Willy Kambwala? It's like he has disappeared off the map, no mention of him in any of the youth team aside from one appearance this season. Surprising as he was so highly rated when he was recruited

lenny_1248

Anyone know what has happened to Willy Kambwala? It's like he has disappeared off the map, no mention of him in any of the youth team aside from one appearance this season. Surprising as he was so highly rated when he was recruited
Probably injured again?

Bigsid

just checked U18 and 21 league tables and Liverpool and City seem to be NW best teams if league tables mean anything?
I’ve seen mention of United putting younger sides on the pitch to develop talent rather than winning teams
A good excuse for poor results. One or two may have come off the bench but im not sure week to week the u18s are full of younger players? City play united in the 18s tomorrow which will give us an insight into where our level is. So far we have won 2 games in the league and lost all 3 in the cup.

Think its fair to say we have fell well behind our competitors in the youth ranks and the FA youth cup win perhaps papered over some of the cracks with many of that side being bought in at a cost of millions. Of the starting line up in the final only 4 hadnt been bought from other clubs and had genuinely come through our academy from a young age. Vitek Jurado Garnacho Hansen were bought from clubs abroad pre brexit at the age of 16 with Mcneil, Gore, Murray all being bought from other English sides. Whether we can financially compete to bring in the best talents is debatable over the last couple of years and like Beaucoup i hear we aren't as competitive in recent times as perhaps some would imagine in the market.

We need an rvn

Having kids in the academy since 8 or 9 means f-all to be honest.

even at grass roots level you have kids that are brilliant at 8 and get overtaken by others at 12, 14 etc. birth date and growth has a lot to do with it at that age too as someone born on the 1st of September 2010 will be in age group as someone born 31st august 2011- a whole year difference re growth and mentality but both would be u13 re football

as for academies - every club invests in youth. United have many academy players come through the system, but when they are purchased and move into digs from another club, they become scholars and get preferential treatment and game time as the club need to justify spending x on a 15 or 16 year old. Academy players get scholar contracts too of course if they are good enough - but top teams will always want to get the best players in at youth level just as they will do at the top level

Rauður Djöfull

Have we been signing exciting young players since Butt left?

If I remember correctly a lot of the exciting young players we have now got signed under him? Like Garnacho, Mejbri, McNeill, Fernandez and more

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly but feels like we signed a lot of exciting youth under him and not so much since

stu_1992

If I remember correctly a lot of the exciting young players we have now got signed under him? Like Garnacho, Mejbri, McNeill, Fernandez and more

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly but feels like we signed a lot of exciting youth under him and not so much since
Well the majority of names you've mentioned there were brought in from abroad, and with the new brexit rules, this is no longer possible. So that will naturally cutail a lot of that recruitment.

Mr. MUJAC

A good excuse for poor results. One or two may have come off the bench but im not sure week to week the u18s are full of younger players? City play united in the 18s tomorrow which will give us an insight into where our level is. So far we have won 2 games in the league and lost all 3 in the cup.

Think its fair to say we have fell well behind our competitors in the youth ranks and the FA youth cup win perhaps papered over some of the cracks with many of that side being bought in at a cost of millions. Of the starting line up in the final only 4 hadnt been bought from other clubs and had genuinely come through our academy from a young age. Vitek Jurado Garnacho Hansen were bought from clubs abroad pre brexit at the age of 16 with Mcneil, Gore, Murray all being bought from other English sides. Whether we can financially compete to bring in the best talents is debatable over the last couple of years and like Beaucoup i hear we aren't as competitive in recent times as perhaps some would imagine in the market.
Since 1932 players have joined the United youth system at the ages of 15-17. A few from other junior clubs but the vast majority from school. This continued until 1999 and was the same for all clubs in England.

In 1999 the FA/PL introduced the Academy system and players as young as 7/8 joined the club as their first experience in a professional youth system. If you take a player who was seven in 1999 and project that forward...it means that it would have been in 2010 before any club produced a player from scratch.

Well...youth systems certainly didn't start in 2010 and you can't wipe out 80+ years of youth development because someone changed the rules. Our youth team has always been made up of a composite of players from local teams, regional teams and from abroad. Every other team does the same.

It makes no difference where they came from or what age they were when they arrived. The team that won the Youth Cup last season were all eligible and all played their part. You don't win the Youth Cup if you have a bad team. The season before last we finished second in the league by a point and should have won it except for a silly defensive display at Newcastle.

Youth success goes in cycles, it always has done and it's very easy to knock things rather than support things.

I've said before that United aren't perfect and we still have things to improve on. Scouting is one and I agree that we have missed out on a few players from other clubs because we won't pay the asking price. But let's see how well these players progress before we criticise the decision not to pay the money. It's always a gamble paying a lot of money for young players.

Finally, of last year's youth team, Garnacho has broken through, MCNeill been given his debut and Fredricson, Mainoo and Vitek have all featured on the bench. Isn't that the objective of a youth system...to bring 1/2 players into the first team each year?

Mr. MUJAC

Brexit and COVID has curtailed most of all clubs transfer activity. It will be interesting to see how United adapts to a new landscape.

Rauður Djöfull

Well the majority of names you've mentioned there were brought in from abroad, and with the new brexit rules, this is no longer possible. So that will naturally cutail a lot of that recruitment.

Brexit and COVID has curtailed most of all clubs transfer activity. It will be interesting to see how United adapts to a new landscape.
Ah makes sense had not thought of that, don't know the exact rules in all of that

Damn shame

Get a feeder club again?
Do other clubs do that?