Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Bertie Wooster

Ah makes sense had not thought of that, don't know the exact rules in all of that

Damn shame

Get a feeder club again?
Do other clubs do that?
You'd think City would have a big advantage over other British clubs, and plenty of ways around the rules, owning as they do about ten teams and in various different continents. That should enable them to still buy young, non-British players (ostensibly for those other teams) and then transfer then to Man City once they reach a suitable age or ability?

Varun1

You'd think City would have a big advantage over other British clubs, and plenty of ways around the rules, owning as they do about ten teams and in various different continents. That should enable them to still buy young, non-British players (ostensibly for those other teams) and then transfer then to Man City once they reach a suitable age or ability?
I'd genuinely like to understand why we haven't done that yet. To me it makes so much sense to have close ties or even own clubs in other countries, to help us bring in foreign talents and give our most promising youngsters game time under less pressure.

Rauður Djöfull

I'd genuinely like to understand why we haven't done that yet. To me it makes so much sense to have close ties or even own clubs in other countries, to help us bring in foreign talents and give our most promising youngsters game time under less pressure.
Owners are cheap and make enough money of the club already, don't care about winning and spending to optimize properly on all accounts?

Bigsid

Cant think really of any players they have done that with?

Bertie Wooster

Cant think really of any players they have done that with?
That's because they've previously been able to buy young foreign players as we have.

I was answering a question about what teams can do going forward after Brexit. We won't know many of the 14+ year olds that have been bought by various of City's foreign teams in the last couple of years.

There have already been a number of deals between the various 'City' teams. Just like there was between Watford, Udinese and Granada.

Bigsid

That's because they've previously been able to buy young foreign players as we have.

I was answering a question about what teams can do going forward after Brexit. We won't know many of the 14+ year olds that have been bought by various of City's foreign teams in the last couple of years.

There have already been a number of deals between the various 'City' teams. Just like there was between Watford, Udinese and Granada.
So since Brexit how many deals between these feeder clubs have meant players coming to Manchester? Genuine question. They could come at 18 but then surely they would have to be pushing towards first team.

Just looking at ours and City's u18 squads and out of 23-24 players around 6 or 7 in each side have been bought in so its pretty level regarding recruitment numbers.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

So since Brexit how many deals between these feeder clubs have meant players coming to Manchester? Genuine question. They could come at 18 but then surely they would have to be pushing towards first team.

Just looking at ours and City's u18 squads and out of 23-24 players around 6 or 7 in each side have been bought in so its pretty level regarding recruitment numbers.
Once again, I've no idea how many, if any, players have been signed by those City teams in the last couple of years with one eye on them moving to City. And I'm not claiming I have any knowledge of it.

I was just responding to a couple of posts that were saying along the lines of: "It will be interesting to see how United adapts to a new landscape (post Brexit)" to which one response theorised "Get a feeder club again? Do other clubs do that?"

And I was just suggesting that, going forward, City's set up, with involvement in many different clubs in different continents, could give them an advantage in getting those foreign youth signings that we were discussing Brexit has scuppered in terms of the traditional route for British clubs.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

I would imagine, that after this years failure to recruit, we will go big in next years intake.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Once again, I've no idea how many, if any, players have been signed by those City teams in the last couple of years with one eye on them moving to City. And I'm not claiming I have any knowledge of it.

I was just responding to a couple of posts that were saying along the lines of: "It will be interesting to see how United adapts to a new landscape (post Brexit)" to which one response theorised "Get a feeder club again? Do other clubs do that?"

And I was just suggesting that, going forward, City's set up, with involvement in many different clubs in different continents, could give them an advantage in getting those foreign youth signings that we were discussing Brexit has scuppered in terms of the traditional route for British clubs.
Pretty sure that regardless of how other clubs recruit junior players...because of Brexit rules they will not be able to join until they turn 18 and thus will never be part of the Academy structure.

Amad Diallo and Facundo Pellestri are two United players that fall into that category whilst the likes of the Da Silva twins, Rodrigo Possebon, Angelo Henriquez, Kenny Cooper and many others are examples from the past.

So I don't see any advantage other clubs might have apart from getting an 'associate club' to sign them up for them. Then the young player would be a part of that clubs Academy and not an English one.

It will still come down to scouting and then creating opportunities for the player in the first team.

Bertie Wooster

Pretty sure that regardless of how other clubs recruit junior players...because of Brexit rules they will not be able to join until they turn 18 and thus will never be part of the Academy structure.

Amad Diallo and Facundo Pellestri are two United players that fall into that category whilst the likes of the Da Silva twins, Rodrigo Possebon, Angelo Henriquez, Kenny Cooper and many others are examples from the past.

So I don't see any advantage other clubs might have apart from getting an 'associate club' to sign them up for them. Then the young player would be a part of that clubs Academy and not an English one.

It will still come down to scouting and then creating opportunities for the player in the first team.
Yes, that's obviously the potential advantage I've been talking about in my posts. In particular the first post when I said: "...owning as they do about ten teams and in various different continents. That should enable them to still buy young, non-British players (ostensibly for those other teams) and then transfer then to Man City once they reach a suitable age or ability."

It was just in terms of whether having 'feeder clubs' abroad - or, in City's case, outright owning other clubs - would be a potential advantage in dealing with the problems Brexit has brought for signing young players from abroad.

Beaucoup

Yes, that's obvious the potential advantage I've been talking about in my posts. In particular the first post when I said: "...owning as they do about ten teams and in various different continents. That should enable them to still buy young, non-British players (ostensibly for those other teams) and then transfer then to Man City once they reach a suitable age or ability."

It was just in terms of whether having 'feeder clubs' abroad - or, in City's case, outright owning other clubs - would be a potential advantage in dealing with the problems Brexit has brought for signing young players from abroad.
And that is exactly what they are doing

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Anyone know what has happened to Willy Kambwala? It's like he has disappeared off the map, no mention of him in any of the youth team aside from one appearance this season. Surprising as he was so highly rated when he was recruited
He's back on the bench tonight. He's missed so much football that I really do worry for him.

Demaw

He's back on the bench tonight. He's missed so much football that I really do worry for him.

such a shame with Willy K, we all saw his first game and he was a tank and then injured. :(

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I can't remember seeing Kambwala ever play and not look dreadful and tonight was no exception. He looks like he got by his whole development years on his size and now he's just a big lumbering oaf who uncontrollably charges around with zero composure.

Beaucoup

I can't remember seeing Kambwala ever play and not look dreadful and tonight was no exception. He looks like he got by his whole development years on his size and now he's just a big lumbering oaf who uncontrollably charges around with zero composure.
one of many in our academy unfortunately

Beaucoup

A good excuse for poor results. One or two may have come off the bench but im not sure week to week the u18s are full of younger players? City play united in the 18s tomorrow which will give us an insight into where our level is. So far we have won 2 games in the league and lost all 3 in the cup.

Think its fair to say we have fell well behind our competitors in the youth ranks and the FA youth cup win perhaps papered over some of the cracks with many of that side being bought in at a cost of millions. Of the starting line up in the final only 4 hadnt been bought from other clubs and had genuinely come through our academy from a young age. Vitek Jurado Garnacho Hansen were bought from clubs abroad pre brexit at the age of 16 with Mcneil, Gore, Murray all being bought from other English sides. Whether we can financially compete to bring in the best talents is debatable over the last couple of years and like Beaucoup i hear we aren't as competitive in recent times as perhaps some would imagine in the market.
City fielding their strongest line up of the season so far, United playing as many defenders as they can fit in the team.

Ace of Spades

What development, he has spent almost his whole time here sidelined with injury.

Lost way too much crucial time looks like.

jeepers

What development, he has spent almost his whole time here sidelined with injury.

Lost way too much crucial time looks like.
Yeah he actually had some decent to good games, with like a couple of very good performances, if I remember correctly. He also did well when he made to play RB. Shame about all the injuries.

limerickcitykid

Question: Are Binnion and Dempsey good enough to manage our youth teams?
Binnion definitely has a case for being, we’ve been pretty good in the league and won the FAYC with let’s be honest not a particularly outstanding group and despite what some say I think we often play some really good football and play with variety which needs to be learnt for development. He’s also done well in the EFL trophy.

Dempsey it is hard to say. We’ve generally looked pretty good in the matches that have been viewable but the horrible squad make up ends up always causing a problem. It’s hard to judge a manager when he can’t field a proper side. I’ve been to 4 matches so far and I can’t say any of them were really better apart from Arsenal. Inevitably though when you have no real attackers the play is going die in the final third and kids trying to play from the back will make mistakes.

I think the better question is why have we been incapable of putting together actual squads for about a decade now? I don’t get how you can have age groups without a single striker and we’ve done it multiple times in the past. Emeran is the only proper winger in the u21s and he’s always injured. It’s like those in charge of recruitment are only aware of CBs and attacking midfielders and as a result we’re constantly shoving midfielders onto the wing or into fullback or CBs at fullback. How will any manager set up a proper side with that? And importantly, how will any player develop in that? I don’t get how we expect players to develop playing in a completely lopsided team. How does a 10 develop his creative passing when he has no striker to aim for?

Every u21s match has ultimately been pretty much the exact same this season. We either player no striker at all or McNeill is up there alone and he has no presence. Our three behind are all really central players and you end up with the likes of Isak Hansen-Aaroen trying to chase balls in the channels. Hardley and Jurado offer barely anything in attack and aren’t fast enough either. It’s impossible to spread the play when everyone gets easily outpaced. When you have no final third, all the good buildup play from midfield and the back will never lead anywhere and then we’ll ultimately concede goals. I’m not sure any manager is going to do much with that.

Kingslayer18

I agree. Playing consistently at youth level is so important for a player's development. I feel he's now a year or two behind where he should be and will struggle to make the step up. Some of the injuries could be linked to growing pains but not a good look how injury prone he has been.

Bertie Wooster

Does anyone know why the U21's have ended up losing home advantage and instead playing away to Wolves U21's in the EFL Trophy next Tuesday?

We won our group, Wolves were 2nd in theirs. So we should be at home. If we'd drawn a lower league club, I know the rules are it would be at their ground. But two U21 clubs means it should have stayed as our home match.

Both articles, on ours and Wolves websites, just say following a consultation between both clubs and the EFL the game is being played at Molineux. Bit annoying, as the seeming benefit of drawing a fellow U21 club was that we kept our home advantage for topping our group. But apparently not.

Mickson

Does anyone know why the U21's have ended up losing home advantage and instead playing away to Wolves U21's in the EFL Trophy next Tuesday?

We won our group, Wolves were 2nd in theirs. So we should be at home. If we'd drawn a lower league club, I know the rules are it would be at their ground. But two U21 clubs means it should have stayed as our home match.

Both articles, on ours and Wolves websites, just say following a consultation between both clubs and the EFL the game is being played at Molineux. Bit annoying, as the seeming benefit of drawing a fellow U21 club was that we kept our home advantage for topping our group. But apparently not.
When United won the group a couple of years ago, they would've played Tranmere at home. United requested that they wanted to play the game at Tranmere instead. I guess they're doing something similar now and maybe Wolves could offer Molineux and United thought it sounded like a good idea.

Bertie Wooster

When United won the group a couple of years ago, they would've played Tranmere at home. United requested that they wanted to play the game at Tranmere instead. I guess they're doing something similar now and maybe Wolves could offer Molineux and United thought it sounded like a good idea.
Yeah, I wondered if it was just the opportunity to play at a big ground like Molineux. But I guess it depends how many tickets are sold - if they get a good few thousand in, it'll be good experience for the players. If it's mostly empty it'll be quite soulless. It's also a balancing act as to whether prioritising trying to win more games and progress to the later stages is better experience than playing at Molineux in the last 32.

It's a shame with no United game for 6 weeks that they couldn't use Old Trafford, but I suppose it's being used for other things like the Rugby League World Cup.

Beaucoup

Hearing we have Princewill Ehibhatiomhan on trial for our U18s, striker from Reading FC

lysglimt

Scout
He apparently has been trialling in quite a few clubs including Chelsea and Southampton

stealthy

Tough draw in 3rd round of the youth cup, the defence starts with Crystal Palace away

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Looks like the U21's beat Wolves U 21's 4-1 on penalties in the EFL Trophy after it finished 0-0.
Not seen any comments at all tonight, perhaps everyone's watching some minor competition in Qatar?

Bertie Wooster

Looks like the U21's beat Wolves U 21's 4-1 on penalties in the EFL Trophy after it finished 0-0.
Not seen any comments at all tonight, perhaps everyone's watching some minor competition in Qatar?
Yeah, pleased about that. Into the last 16 now. :)

I followed it as much as I could on the phone, but shame it wasn't on MUTV due to the EFL rules.

We didn't have (m)any attackers in the first XI again, and didn't seem to have (m)any shots in the first hour. But McNeill and Norkett came on and both scored in the shoot out (along with Jurado and Mainoo).

Starting XI:
Bishop
Jurado
Mengi
Hardley
Murray
Huddlestone
Savage
Mainoo
Gore
Shoretire
Emeran

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Yeah, pleased about that. Into the last 16 now. :)

I followed it as much as I could on the phone, but shame it wasn't on MUTV due to the EFL rules.

We didn't have (m)any attackers in the first XI again, and didn't seem to have (m)any shots in the first hour. But McNeill and Norkett came on and both scored in the shoot out (along with Jurado and Mainoo).

Starting XI:
Bishop
Jurado
Mengi
Hardley
Murray
Huddlestone
Savage
Mainoo
Gore
Shoretire
Emeran
Thanks for that, it's nice that someone was taking an interest.

Mickson

England is such a weird country. U18 game is now abandoned because they have been waiting for an ambulance to arrive, they waited for over an hour, and now they've decided to call it a day. Haha.

limerickcitykid

So U18s match was delayed because they had no medical services at Carrington. Match was cancelled but then they got the medical services and game was back on with an hour delay. Time came with the players all on the pitch and the match is abandoned again with no reason given. But I guess it’s a big improvement on last season where a match was cancelled and MUTV and the club just didn’t say anything at all and you had to follow JB on Twitter to find out what was happening.

Hopefully with new owners they’ll completely overhaul the entire logistics of the academy as well as the media coverage. The whole set up is a joke these days.

PS18

The one week where they were showing it live and had multiple re-runs scheduled, hilarious.

Already 4 games behind almost everyone else in the division and the weather hasn’t got bad yet. Going 3-4 weeks between games on a regular basis is just useless.

Beaucoup

The one week where they were showing it live and had multiple re-runs scheduled, hilarious.

Already 4 games behind almost everyone else in the division and the weather hasn’t got bad yet. Going 3-4 weeks between games on a regular basis is just useless.
seems to happen every season