Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
FT 1-0 United.

Quite an even match, both teams had some decent shooting positions with no end product.

Next up, Ajax.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Hasn't been to any tournaments abroad in ages. Difficult to on a Russian passport I imagine.
Do you know how long until he can qualify for British citizenship? Punishing adult professional Russians is one thing, but punishing kids is a great shame.

Bertie Wooster

Do you know how long until he can qualify for British citizenship? Punishing adult professional Russians is one thing, but punishing kids is a great shame.
Don't see the difference, really. In all cases, the person is being punished for their nationality rather than any connection / culpability for that countries actions. It's all a shame for them individually - even worse for the adult professionals in individual sports, really, as they're missing out on the competitions where they earn their money and ranking points, so more impactful than a youngster missing a youth tournament in a team sport, like Ibragimov.

But, yeah, it's a shame for him as it would have been good experience and, like most of the others, he's missing out on it through no fault of his own.

TwoSheds

Don't see the difference, really. In all cases, the person is being punished for their nationality rather than any connection / culpability for that countries actions. It's all a shame for them individually - even worse for the adult professionals in individual sports, really, as they're missing out on the competitions where they earn their money and ranking points, so more impactful than a youngster missing a youth tournament in a team sport, like Ibragimov.

But, yeah, it's a shame for him as it would have been good experience and, like most of the others, he's missing out on it through no fault of his own.
Well adults can in theory have an influence on the situation whereas children can't. They should generally be considered innocent in law whereas the same cannot be said of responsible adults.

top1whoisman

Scout
Well adults can in theory have an influence on the situation whereas children can't. They should generally be considered innocent in law whereas the seem cannot be said of responsible adults.
Yep. There are also plenty of top Russian athletes who are very openly pro-Putin and pro-war.

top1whoisman

Scout
Lost the last group game 3-1 to Ajax and finished 5th in the group.

Playoff game tomorrow morning against Grol from the Netherlands. Whatever the result is in that one, we’ll play either Schalke or Twente/Heracles in our final game.

Last edited:

Bigsid

Lost the last group game 3-1 to Ajax and finished 5th in the group.

Playoff game tomorrow morning against either Leverkusen, Schalke or Grol from the Netherlands. Whatever the result is in that one, there's one more placement match to play after that.
Hopefully we can avoid the wooden spoon. Obviously quite a gap to top opposition but good experience.

Bertie Wooster

Well adults can in theory have an influence on the situation whereas children can't. They should generally be considered innocent in law whereas the same cannot be said of responsible adults.
Yep. There are also plenty of top Russian athletes who are very openly pro-Putin and pro-war.
So then, surely, you decide it on a case by case basis?

Either you ban them all, because of their nationality, or you only ban those who have been openly pro-Putin and pro-War. Allowing younger Russian players to play, but still banning Russian adult professionals even if they've come out against the war, seems strange.

But, hey ho, that's not really for this thread - even though it's about one of our players not being available for the tournament - and I don't get involved in any of the Current Events threads where this is debated - so I'll leave it there.

top1whoisman

Scout

Either you ban them all, because of their nationality, or you only ban those who have been openly pro-Putin and pro-War. Allowing younger Russian players to play, but still banning Russian adult professionals even if they've come out against the war, seems strange.

But, hey ho, that's not really for this thread - even though it's about one of our players not being available for the tournament - and I don't get involved in any of the Current Events threads where this is debated - so I'll leave it there.
No I agree, a 15-year old kid who’s lived in England for a while now should definitely be allowed to travel and play.

Some sports have actually done that case-by-case approach.

Bertie Wooster

No I agree, a 15-year old kid who’s lived in England for a while now should definitely be allowed to travel and play.

Some sports have actually done that case-by-case approach.
It seems the fairest way. Although it could obviously lead to a lot of debate / controversy on individual cases that could go either way - so I can see why some sports would choose the easier, albeit unfairer, blanket ban based solely on nationality not individual situation / political stance. But it's good that some sports are doing the case-by-case approach.

TwoSheds

Wouldn't it be nice if it were that simple? What if every Russian athlete says "we swear we don't like killing innocent Ukrainians" with a nod and a wink? End of the day, kids are basically legally innocent of almost everything except in extreme circumstances whereas adults aren't. It's a perfectly normal and reasonable way to treat the world and although it's sad for some innocent Russian athletes, life isn't affair and nobody ever pretended it was. For kids perhaps we should err more towards that pretence though.

Gungerz

2-1 win against Grol with goals from Ibrovic-Fletcher (pen) & Ajayi.

Last game for 9-10 place is against Twente/Heracles at 12:15.

Gungerz

2-0 win over Twente/Heracles to finish 9th. Thwaites worldie & Ibrovic-Fletcher header.

Prodigal7

Anybody know what youth signings we’re going to be making? It’s all unusually quiet, usually we’d have made some scholar signings by now.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Anybody know what youth signings we’re going to be making? It’s all unusually quiet, usually we’d have made some scholar signings by now.
Harry Amass of Watford was rumored to be close.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Technical directors kids at City. Is that a submission the City Academy is better run?

Bigsid

I'd guess so, but bringing them to united says there is a better culture of opportunity here
1.2 million for the two. Makes sense for them to be with their Dad. Done deal i believe.

stealthy

No guarantee Fletcher will still be here with new owners
Would still make sense and good management by Fletcher of his boys development. Get them best coaching as schoolboys, and when they hit the Man City bottleneck at pro level move them to better pathway potential at United.

Both good enough to slot into Uniteds scholar group as well, not jobs for the boys as I’ve seen suggested.

good luck to them both

Beaucoup

so that's him and Fletch twins signed. We are still heavily linked with Rigg and Sanusi, whilst Ornstein mentioned us as outsiders for Nwaneri.
Don't think the Fletcher twins have signed yet, not a given. Plus, only one of them is decent.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't think the Fletcher twins have signed yet, not a given. Plus, only one of them is decent.
I thought Orny breaking the news pretty much meant that the deal was done or close to being done.

Bigsid

Jack plays as a 10, is right footed and is very strong and physical. Tyler plays more of an 8 and is left footed. Both will be coming in and they wont be coming not to play thats for sure. Clubs agreeing compensation package. Expect it to be concluded in July. Chelsea only club to make offer to Nwaneri. Expect more to join in.

top1whoisman

Scout
Jack plays as a 10, is right footed and is very strong and physical. Tyler plays more of an 8 and is left footed. Both will be coming in and they wont be coming not to play thats for sure. Clubs agreeing compensation package. Expect it to be concluded in July. Chelsea only club to make offer to Nwaneri. Expect more to join in.
Hope you're not getting paid by that "agency" you "work for". Jack is the left-footed one and Tyler right-footed. A bit disappointed that you don't even know the basic facts about your own academy players.

Prodigal7

Jack plays as an 8 for England and I’m pretty sure he plays there for city too.

Bigsid

Hope you're not getting paid by that "agency" you "work for". Jack is the left-footed one and Tyler right-footed. A bit disappointed that you don't even know the basic facts about your own academy players.
Too easy!