Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

The Wizard

Doubt if Henriquez will travel, he's just finished playing in the U20 WC last night. I will say Lindgard, Powell (if he's fully recovered from his injury), Mike Keane and Januzaj will travel, maybe one or two more as Moyes might want to cast an eye on a few others for the first time.

Virtuoso

I've not kept track of the Reserves/Youth teams as closely as I have in the past, but I'm surprised that we haven't brought in any youngsters (as yet). I do always prefer for us to bring through youngsters from the U14s, U16s etc but we have seemed to bring in at least a couple either from abroad or domestically to complement the youth sides at the club currently. From what I know, we've not brought in anyone yet.

It seemed from last season that we were definitely missing an out and out striker in most of the sides. It will be great to have Will Keane back (not sure when that will be), Henriquez may well go on loan and then there are of course players like Sam Byrne, James Wilson etc who certainly looked promising at times last season. But to cover the U18s and Reserves, it doesn't quite seem like enough.

Is there anyone in the U16s that plays as a striker/forward who is looking particularly promising and could potentially play for the U18s this year?

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
I've not kept track of the Reserves/Youth teams as closely as I have in the past, but I'm surprised that we haven't brought in any youngsters (as yet). I do always prefer for us to bring through youngsters from the U14s, U16s etc but we have seemed to bring in at least a couple either from abroad or domestically to complement the youth sides at the club currently. From what I know, we've not brought in anyone yet.

It seemed from last season that we were definitely missing an out and out striker in most of the sides. It will be great to have Will Keane back (not sure when that will be), Henriquez may well go on loan and then there are of course players like Sam Byrne, James Wilson etc who certainly looked promising at times last season. But to cover the U18s and Reserves, it doesn't quite seem like enough.

Is there anyone in the U16s that plays as a striker/forward who is looking particularly promising and could potentially play for the U18s this year?
I think there's Ashley Fletcher and Devonte Redmond as out and out strikers in the U18's this year although I think James Wilson could play for both U18's and U21's. Gives us a few options.

Virtuoso

I think there's Ashley Fletcher and Devonte Redmond as out and out strikers in the U18's this year although I think James Wilson could play for both U18's and U21's. Gives us a few options.

Thanks, and yes come to think of it, I remember Fletcher being on the bench towards the end of the season too.

Looking forward to seeing more of Demetri Mitchell, heard very positive things about him.

jb8521

Ruairi Croskery is a striker aswell

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Sorry to bump this without any actual news but I was thinking this board needs a;
"Who is ready to make the step up" and/or a "When should we expect these guys to make the first XI" type of thread.

Tunnicliffe feels like he's been here forever and Petrucci has had very little first team action and I wouldn't mind a bit more chatter on what these lads have that are ready. Especially losing big muppet hopefuls like Pogba and Morrison and the caf promising Daehli.

Will Absolute

Sorry to bump this without any actual news but I was thinking this board needs a;
"Who is ready to make the step up" and/or a "When should we expect these guys to make the first XI" type of thread.

Tunnicliffe feels like he's been here forever and Petrucci has had very little first team action and I wouldn't mind a bit more chatter on what these lads have that are ready. Especially losing big muppet hopefuls like Pogba and Morrison and the caf promising Daehli.
I never saw Tunnicliffe as a future first-teamer, but I did think Petrucci had a chance. Too many injuries, and time's a wastin.

dr.twinny

The Belgian defender Marnick Vermijl Manchester United has renewed his contract with the English club until 2016. From @BelgaSphera

Good news, very much deserved. He's been one of the Reserves' most consistent performers and I hope he makes it here.

On another note, does anyone know when the Reserves/Academy will be playing their first friendly?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Manchester United have signed four of last season's Under-18 squad as third-year scholars.
Jonny Sutherland, Paddy McNair, Louis Rowley and Declan Dalley are the quartet in question. McNair made the most appearances last term, moving into a central defensive role with good effect, while Sutherland also kept goal for the Under-21s. Rowley and Dalley are both defenders.
"It’s only a technical point in terms of giving them more options if they can go out on loan or so on," explained coach Paul McGuinness to ManUtd.com, when asked about the third-year terms.
"It’s just a technical thing - we’re working hard so they have the same opportunity as everyone else to impress and push on."

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Reds sign up first-years

Manchester United have taken on 10 first-year scholars to join the Academy squad for the 2013/2014 season.
Demetri Mitchell is the only one of the youngsters to have already made his debut at Under-18 level after coming on as a substitute in last term's home defeat to Crystal Palace. The England Schoolboys winger is one of three Manchester-born prospects making the step up, along with defender Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Devonte Redmond.
All of the intake are Englishmen, with the exception of Northern Irish duo Jordan Thompson and Ruairi Croskery.
Oliver Rathbone is classified as an Under-17 Academy student while keeper Kieran O'Hara becomes an Under-18 student.

First-year scholars

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (Defender)
Ruairi Croskery (Forward)
George Dorrington (Goalkeeper)
Dean Henderson (Goalkeeper)
Scott McTominay (Midfielder)
Demetri Mitchell (Winger)
Devonte Redmond (Forward)
Joe Riley (Midfielder)
Jordan Thompson (Midfielder)
Oliver Rathbone - U17 Student (Midfielder)

Joemo

whistling in the wind
John Cofie has signed for Barnsley on a one year deal and Frederic Veseli has signed for Ipswich on a two year deal.

LR7

Transfer news: Brighton and Ipswich want Ryan Tunnicliffe on loan

The Red Devils have been open to the idea of allowing the promising midfielder to head out of Old Trafford in the past.Sky Sports understands Brighton & Hove Albion and Ipswich Town have both approached Manchester United regarding a possible loan for Ryan Tunnicliffe.
He spent the 2011/12 campaign with Peterborough United, before taking in a spell with Barnsley last season.
The 20-year-old would appear to remain some way down the pecking order at United, so may have to once again turn his attention elsewhere in an effort to get regular game time.
The opportunity to compete in the Championship is likely to appeal, especially at the business end of the division.
Brighton and Ipswich will both feel that they should be pushing for a top-six finish in 2013/14, and they would welcome the opportunity to add Tunnicliffe to their ranks.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...ton-and-ipswich-want-ryan-tunnicliffe-on-loan

LR7

United youngster Henriquez set for spell in Spain

Manchester United striker Angelo Henriquez is considering a loan move to Real Zaragoza.
The Chile international had a loan spell at Wigan last season but figured in only eight games as they battled relegation.
United are keen for the 19-year-old to have more competitive playing time.
United forward Angelo Henriquez, pictured playing for Wigan last term, is considering a move to Real Zaragoza
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...oan-spell-Monaco-keen-Nani.html#ixzz2ZzKdDSxR
edited for relevance

PS18

Reece James has gone to Carlisle as well, but yeah, I expected more to have gone out by now - some very obvious candidates who you'd have thought would have benefited from going out early and getting stuck into pre-season with their loan team.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
Again I suppose its to do with the new manager not wanting to rule anybody out of the potential squad for the season ahead. Although if they were that much in his thoughts you'd have thought that they would have gone on tour. The only one that Moyes explicitely stated would have gone had he not been injured was Larnell Cole. That therefore leaves several of the established ressies from last year as prime loan candidates.

mo0

thought Cole didn't go due to the U20 WC? assume was injured after returning to training?

jb8521

Under 18s beat Arsenal 3-0 today and will play Spurs and Chelsea tomorrow in a behind closed doors tournament. Fletcher, Wilson and Pereira with the goals

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Salford start for U21s

Article updated 15/08/2013

Manchester United have announced that the majority of Under-21 home fixtures in 2013/14 will take place at the Salford City Stadium.

The impressive venue in Barton-upon-Irwell hosted last term's 1-0 victory against Tottenham Under-21s and will feature Warren Joyce's team - the reigning champions at that age level - more regularly this season.

Joyce welcomed the news, telling ManUtd.com: "It's great to know we are going to be playing the majority of our games at the Salford City Stadium. We played there in April and had a great experience, the facilities are second to none. We are looking forward to kicking off the season there against Liverpool on Monday [19 August]."

Salford City mayor Ian Stewart said: "I'm delighted that Manchester United Under-21s have seen the facilities on offer and chosen to make Salford City Stadium their [main] home this season.

"Salford has well-established links with Manchester United and I'm pleased this will continue."

Monday's match against Liverpool marks the start of the new Barclays Under-21 Premier League campaign. Kicking off at 19:00, it will be shown live on MUTV.

As well as playing in Salford, the Under-21s can also look forward to a few fixtures at Old Trafford - against Middlesbrough on 20 October, Fulham on 28 October and Chelsea on 24 March.

Altrincham's Moss Lane, which has been the regular home of the reserves in recent seasons, will stage the Stoke City game on 4 November.

PS18

Good facilities, just hope the pitch is up to scratch - there's going to be points in the season where there'll be us, Sale Sharks and Salford City Reds all in action there.

PS18

I always thought the pitch at Alty was pretty decent, or seemed it to my amateur eyes anyway. Guess the big issue was with games being called off due to frozen pitches - doesn't seem to be any undersoil heating at Salford but they've apparently got a better system for dealing with the cold.

I'll miss Alty anyway - lot to be said for being able to have a proper pint in a warm bar at half-time!

datura

There's a microclimate there though that means it's at least 5c colder then anywhere in mcr! Alty pitch seemed a bit bobby and cut up, Salford seems bigger so should suit our football. Bit of a bugger to get to for those without cars though, and the traffic gets pretty snarled up around there.