Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

NickyT

Step 1: leave a racist comment
Step 2: tell others to behave themselves
Step 3: ????
Step 4: Profit
SERIOUSLY

Behave yourself, the Academy system is absolutely blighted by African players with dubious passports, it's not racist. it's a fact, I see it week in, week out. Unfortunately a lot of Academy coaches turn a blind eye to it because it gives them an advantage.
Also, call this a very simple logic but the way I see it is, you wouldn't have got offended if you weren't being racist.

And yeah of course there are a few that get through because of dodgy agents etc, but to then say 'blighted by African players' is actually very racist and untrue, you'll find it's a problem that happens across the 7 seas, not just resigned to one continent. The few you hear of are just the ones that have been caught, simple as.

NickyT

SERIOUSLY

Also, call this a very simple logic but the way I see it is, you wouldn't have got offended if you weren't being racist.

And yeah of course there are a few that get through because of dodgy agents etc, but to then say 'blighted by African players' is actually very racist and untrue, you'll find it's a problem that happens across the 7 seas, not just resigned to one continent. The few you hear of are just the ones that have been caught, simple as.
Is that a picture of his dad?
Just admit you were tryna be funny here... but it was racist!

Beaucoup

SERIOUSLY

There are more than a few, I've seen it throughout the Academy system, even at our's, it's cheating pure and simple, and it's not racist to simply state where the majority of these kids and their representatives come from.

kundalini

Can someone update me on what happened to Harrop?
Do you mean Josh Harrop ?

Made his United debut against Palace in the last PL game of the season during Mourinho's first season, scored a super goal. Had a contract offer (of some sort) from United but opted to join Preston on a 4 year deal when he was 21 and a half. Ok first season for them, 11 starts, 27 sub appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist, in Championship. Scored a couple of goals in a FA Cup game. Suffered a cruciate ligament injury in late September this season. I imagine he is expected back next season. 4 starts, 4 sub appearances, 1 assist in Championship this season before injury. He was 23 in December.

His last U23 season for United he got 8 goals (including 3 pens) and 2 assists, scored a spectacular hatrick against Spurs in the last match. But worth noting that he would have been one of the older players in the division by that stage. 4 goals and 3 assists in his first two seasons at U23 level, though he did miss quite a few games. Never went out on loan.

Last edited:

SoCross

Made his United debut against Palace in the last PL game of the season during Mourinho's first season, scored a super goal. Had a contract offer (of some sort) from United but opted to join Preston on a 4 year deal when he was 21 and a half. Ok first season for them, 11 starts, 27 sub appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist, in Championship. Scored a couple of goals in a FA Cup game. Suffered a cruciate ligament injury in late September this season. I imagine he is expected back next season. 4 starts, 4 sub appearances, 1 assist in Championship this season before injury. He was 23 in December.

His last U23 season for United he got 8 goals (including 3 pens) and 2 assists, scored a spectacular hatrick against Spurs in the last match. But worth noting that he would have been one of the older players in the division by that stage. 4 goals and 3 assists in his first two seasons at U23 level, though he did miss quite a few games. Never went out on loan.
Woah cheers man, didn't expect this much detail. I remember there being high hopes for him and Sean Goss if I wasn't mistaken.

pascell

Although worth noting on top of this, the PNE manager also said just before his injury that Harrop doesn't suit his style of play but will try and get him in the team, the game he played after the manager said that was when he did his cruciate injury.

kundalini

Although worth noting on top of this, the PNE manager also said just before his injury that Harrop doesn't suit his style of play but will try and get him in the team, the game he played after the manager said that was when he did his cruciate injury.
I just checked, Harrop signed for Preston on July 1st 2017, though the deal must have been arranged a few weeks before as he was out of contract at United at the end of June. Alex Neil took over as Preston manager on July 4th. I imagine that Simon Grayson and his coaching staff recruited Harrop, then left to join Sunderland, before Josh had officially signed.

Harrop isn't an obvious Championship type player. Decent technical ability but most opponents will be stronger, taller, faster. I've no idea how he will do in the long term.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
For the regulars here do you think we should have a separate thread for the trialists etc or is this thread okay for all that stuff. I feel we don't use this forum enough

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For the regulars here do you think we should have a separate thread for the trialists etc or is this thread okay for all that stuff. I feel we don't use this forum enough
I'd keep it in this thread personally, it's useful to have a central hub for the news including trialists.

Bigsid

There are more than a few, I've seen it throughout the Academy system, even at our's, it's cheating pure and simple, and it's not racist to simply state where the majority of these kids and their representatives come from.
Unsure as to how this post is deemed as racist? In many African countries you have 5 years to register a birth meaning its quite common and has blighted youth sport in many African countries for years. Given the money in football its hardly a surprise but like your man above having been to international tournaments at youth level home and abroad it's getting absolutely crazy these days

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Lee Grant was on the bench at the weekend so Romero may be injured meaning Matej Kovar may travel as No.3 goalie though I think he's already been in a Champions League squad, could be Aliou Traore going back to PSG, or more likely Brandon Williams, outsider is Josh Bohui as we're down to the bones for strikers/wingers.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/axdknc/expect_a_shock_name_to_travel_tomorrow/

So Stephen Howson saying a shock academy player who hasn't travelled before with the first team squad is set to travel tomorrow.

Normally I'd say it's Laird but we have okay options at RB. I can see a midfielder going. Traore or Levitt?

Someone in comments saying that it'll be Puigmal.
I'm pretty sure Laird can play both sides, but he's only just back from injury, so would he be risked? If Shaw was showing signs of fatigue, then yes, it could be him.

Alemar

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/axdknc/expect_a_shock_name_to_travel_tomorrow/

So Stephen Howson saying a shock academy player who hasn't travelled before with the first team squad is set to travel tomorrow.

Normally I'd say it's Laird but we have okay options at RB. I can see a midfielder going. Traore or Levitt?

It’s Champions League. Shouldn’t this mystery player be registered for CL to be able to travel?

Alemar

I don’t think you have to register youth players.
For EPL no, but Champions League may be different, there was usually a 25 player list or something... good if it doesn’t influence youth as otherwise we may struggle to fill the bench

Alemar

It would be good for Greenwood to travel. If Martial is still off, we have no forwards on the bench

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Lee Grant was on the bench at the weekend so Romero may be injured meaning Matej Kovar may travel as No.3 goalie though I think he's already been in a Champions League squad, could be Aliou Traore going back to PSG, or more likely Brandon Williams, outsider is Josh Bohui as we're down to the bones for strikers/wingers.
The obvious one really, great experience for the lad, well deserved

Mylock

Surprised it wasn't O'Connor who traveled with the 1st team to Paris, he could have provided cover for RB and LB. I think its time O Connor goes out on loan if he's not going to part of the 1st team squad.
Has anyone any info on what happened to Callum Cribbin? He looked a serious talent a year or two ago.

AltiUn

Surprised it wasn't O'Connor who traveled with the 1st team to Paris, he could have provided cover for RB and LB. I think its time O Connor goes out on loan if he's not going to part of the 1st team squad.
Has anyone any info on what happened to Callum Cribbin? He looked a serious talent a year or two ago.
The ITK posters mentioned it's unlikely that Gribbin will ever play for the club again.

AltiUn

Just seen in the Match Day thread it's Brandon Williams, makes sense to promote him soon considering we have no back up for Shaw if he gets injured. He's been really good the last 2 seasons, stepped up at every level he's been asked to, I'm a very big fan of him. He seems to love United so it'd be nice to see him get his debut before the end of the season.

spenzo

Was hoping it'd be O'Connor personally. @jb8521 do you have any idea as to how he's viewed at the club at this point? Previously got the impression it was quite highly but not of recent times, although there's still time.