Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Beaucoup

I thought Daniel Polokowski (GK), Rhys Bennett, Oliver Kilner and Ola Ibrahim are still at the club.
Yes I know, however, I did hear Ola was having trials at Derby. Either way it’s a pretty disappointing that that’s the best we can do.

Mark Pawelek

Richard Fay at MEN says United are looking at Rabbi Matondo of Schalke 04. He has 8 Bundesliga starts. 12 appearances for them in total (scoring a goal). Welsh and ex-City youth. Recommended by Giggs, no doubt! All I heard he's supposedly very rapid. Given Ramazani & Deji Sotona (2 rapid wingers), haven't renewed contracts. I suppose he'll be a good addition if we pursue this.

Utdstar01

I can't see Mejbri featuring much for the U18s next season. Think it'll be mostly U23's for him. Hopefully Emeran's injury hasn't affected him too much. Excited to see Mejia whenever football comes around again.

lenny_1248

I can't see Mejbri featuring much for the U18s next season. Think it'll be mostly U23's for him. Hopefully Emeran's injury hasn't affected him too much. Excited to see Mejia whenever football comes around again.
Mejbri will just play in Youth Cup. Besides that, there is no reason to play him in U-18, he is more than ready for U-23 considering how poor the league is.

KevinJoh

agree on this, I doubt they will risk him and I really expect that he will train with the first team and if everything as till now that he will get first team minutes as well. Also, Emeran was highly rated, and beside first games after injury also I guess more of U23 than U18.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Richard Fay at MEN says United are looking at Rabbi Matondo of Schalke 04. He has 8 Bundesliga starts. 12 appearances for them in total (scoring a goal). Welsh and ex-City youth. Recommended by Giggs, no doubt! All I heard he's supposedly very rapid. Given Ramazani & Deji Sotona (2 rapid wingers), haven't renewed contracts. I suppose he'll be a good addition if we pursue this.
Matondo will clearly play for the first team if he signs. This is a forum for youth and u23 signings.

Beaucoup

I think Shoretire, Forson, Bennett and Polakowski are being held on from last season U16s so there's a couple but definitely not many. Add Vitek, Hansen-Aaroen, Jurado, Pye and Hugill you've got 9 with 6 spaces you can use for this season. If I remember the rules correctly it's a max of 30 scholarships over 2 seasons so we might save a couple of those spots for next year's U15s to sign scholarships as that group seems to be huge.
Still a pretty poor showing considering we’ve brought this age group through from U9’s. We simply don’t develop or I improve players from U9 to U16, it’s simply a cattle market.

Mark Pawelek

So we’re going to rename a section of the forum because you posted in the wrong section about a player who isn’t an academy nor youth player? What would be the point of that?
But he will be a reserve player.

Since when are people upset about the wrong thing posted in this section? Some of the threads here ramble on off-topic for upto 20 posts. Of course I'll post inews about major transfers in the main forums in future; even if they are about teenagers. I'm sorry I upset so many people.

Last edited:

Redo91

Since when are people upset about the wrong thing posted in this section? Some of the threads here ramble on off-topic for upto 20 posts. Of course I'll post inews about major transfers in the main forums in future; even if they are about teenagers. I'm sorry I upset so many people.
He won’t be. He’ll be in the first-team.

OldRed1

Still a pretty poor showing considering we’ve brought this age group through from U9’s. We simply don’t develop or I improve players from U9 to U16, it’s simply a cattle market.
So don't you include players like Scott McTominay, Marcus Rashford, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood, plus all the youth players still with us.

Last edited:

Beaucoup

So don't you include players like Scott McTominay, Marcus Rashford, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood, plus all the youth players still with us.
It’s a complete myth we have the best coaches, training and development at the academy, We have great youth scouts, these kids would be just as good at any other academy.

rotherham_red

It’s a complete myth we have the best coaches, training and development at the academy, We have great youth scouts, these kids would be just as good at any other academy.
Come on, it's hardly a myth. You don't produce the amount of players we produce both for ourselves and for other teams throughout the football pyramid without having a bit about you as an institution. Talent alone is, and never has been, enough.

Though, at the same time, it depends on what you value the most: genuine prospects of being a full-time professional, or Youth trinklets?

Rashford came through in a youth team which underperformed and didn't really do much in the FA Youth Cup, while Dom Solanke and Chelsea were laying everyone before them to waste: fast forward a few years, and whose shoes would you rather be in?

khoazany

This age group is known to be the poorest age group in the academy in terms of avg talent for a while, hardly come as a surprise to anyone that most were released pre-U18s.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

He’s a first team player for Schalke. He isn’t going to be a reserve player.

No one is upset about anything except for you trying to change the names of forums for no reason other than posting in the wrong one.

Beaucoup

This age group is known to be the poorest age group in the academy in terms of avg talent for a while, hardly come as a surprise to anyone that most were released pre-U18s.
The club has had at least 5 years to address a weak age group, it’s poor no matter how you try and sugar coat it.

KM

It's interesting that Chelsea and City are both losing two of their best talents in U16 - Samuel Illing Junior and Charlie McNeil to foreign clubs probably. I wonder how many english clubs are gonna lose their best talents to abroad in the coming months.

lenny_1248

Can somebody give an insight on the group of U15's we have? How well are they actually regarded? Kavanagh, Norkett, Mather, Murray, Mainoo, Popov etc.
They all turn 16 next season if I am not mistaking.

UTDJR26918

From my understanding we've gone for quality rather than quantity and the players we do have at U16s and U15s are some of the best in the country

Bigsid

From my understanding we've gone for quality rather than quantity and the players we do have at U16s and U15s are some of the best in the country
Didn't City steal some of the best talents in the 16s with their school offer? Remember they stole Mcatee too in year above.

Nick7

Dunno if this is the right thread, but I couldn't find a recent thread for him

The replies from Hearts fans are hilarious and damning.

Redhalle

Didn't City steal some of the best talents in the 16s with their school offer? Remember they stole Mcatee too in year above.
City may have encouraged a few players to sign for them rather than United but I think the only one that left United to join City was Charlie McNeil and that was about u12.

KevinJoh

It will be interesting to see who will go on loan next year, and where. Our loans have been pretty bad recently, and hopefully Butt made some changes there and we will see some benefits.
I guess Garner, Chong, Laird, Gomes (if signs), Levitt, Galbraith, Puigmal, Mengi, Bernard, Traore are all candidates for loans. I wouldn't mind to see them all on loan, especially if we sign players and won't give them serious minutes in the first team next year. Garner and Chong should be the closest one to get a chance, Laird maybe as well, but they won't get enough minutes to develop for sure and it is better to have them good loans and get them up and ready next year.

Vissy

So since Sheff Wed and Swansea are interested, what are these teams like? Would Garner get into their teams enough to benefit from a loan move?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

From the video it seems he's a very attack minded LB and plays for SCP in Portugal. The outlet reporting the news say he is represented by the same agent as Bruno Fernandes (his brother in law) and discussions took place between United and the agent during the time we wanted Fernandes for the 17 year old.

Sea-Cow

From the video it seems he's a very attack minded LB and plays for SCP in Portugal. The outlet reporting the news say he is represented by the same agent as Bruno Fernandes (his brother in law) and discussions took place between United and the agent during the time we wanted Fernandes for the 17 year old.
Hmmmm sounds dodgy....

KM

Remember the time when we signed 5-6 of Huddersfield's prospects when their academy closed? Are they still at the club or have they been released?

lenny_1248

Remember the time when we signed 5-6 of Huddersfield's prospects when their academy closed? Are they still at the club or have they been released?
Sam Murray is still at the club.
Don't know who other kids were.

jb8521

As far as I know Marshall Burke, Sam Murray & Sonny Pickup are still with us but the others have left

Sea-Cow

Why is it dodgy ??
I'm not saying it IS dodgy, just that it sounds dodgy.

As in we were are doing a favor to Bruno's family member by signing his other client. I am making completely unfounded accusations, and it is all fantasy shit, but still.... it sounds dodgy.

Unless this lad is legit, in which case I reserve the right to claim to be on board with his signing since day 1.

Ace of Spades

I'm not saying it IS dodgy, just that it sounds dodgy.

As in we were are doing a favor to Bruno's family member by signing his other client. I am making completely unfounded accusations, and it is all fantasy shit, but still.... it sounds dodgy.

Unless this lad is legit, in which case I reserve the right to claim to be on board with his signing since day 1.
It really does not, we have no reason to sign anyone when Fernandes is already signed. If we are looking at him, then it is because he should be good enough talent for us to sign.