Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

stubie

Has there been any further developments on Florent Da Silva (Lyon)?

We was strongly linked with him last summer

MPTutd

Deji Sotona has left the club. Turned down a three year deal as he wanted first team opportunities and more money.

No great loss IMO.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
He fancies his chances in France apparently, maybe Angel Gomes has had a word in his ear.
Or his agent has...

This is a tough one. Forgetting Deji for a moment.

There are a whole bunch of kids every year who are in this kind of limbo corridor.

They have high chances of making it in the game, they have a realisation that it won't be at United, and are stuck between leaving now and trying their luck elsewhere, or hanging around and hoping things might change/improve.

Then they see the likes of 5-6 of their ex-team mates not in the game anymore and are not sure what to do.

Obviously some kids think they are better than they are, or their parents do...or agents do and it adds to the confusion.

Maybe he pushed to force United's hand early...'What do you really think of me?' Like Obudeko and others.

Either way, if United thought highly enough of him they would have worked to agree some kind of deal.

His taken control of his career regardless and good luck to him.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
The good thing is that we have so many talented youngsters at the moment, that even if we lose a Gomes or a Sotona - you kind of forget about it 10 minutes later. It's a good situation where we can afford to lose 1 youngster because we have 3-4 equally good coming in.

I still dread the time when Phil Marsh was our reserve-team striker - and leading scorer.

Utdstar01

Not that bothered by Sotona leaving, he wouldn't have been good enough for us anyway. Good luck to him all the same.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Or his agent has...

This is a tough one. Forgetting Deji for a moment.

There are a whole bunch of kids every year who are in this kind of limbo corridor.

They have high chances of making it in the game, they have a realisation that it won't be at United, and are stuck between leaving now and trying their luck elsewhere, or hanging around and hoping things might change/improve.

Then they see the likes of 5-6 of their ex-team mates not in the game anymore and are not sure what to do.

Obviously some kids think they are better than they are, or their parents do...or agents do and it adds to the confusion.

Maybe he pushed to force United's hand early...'What do you really think of me?' Like Obudeko and others.

Either way, if United thought highly enough of him they would have worked to agree some kind of deal.

His taken control of his career regardless and good luck to him.
Oh yeah, I could count on the fingers of one hand how many times United have got it 'wrong' with one of the Academy lads and I can go back to the 70's

Agree, it's a tough call, but good luck to the kid, and Mipo Odubeko before him.

Me, I'd be a 57½ year old patiently waiting my turn in the Reserves cleaning Neil Wood's car if need be ;)

PS18

Question on Sotona... obviously he turned down a pro deal but presumably he was still on a scholarship contract for another season - can that just be walked away from (if so, surprised we don't see it more often at various clubs)?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Oh yeah, I could count on the fingers of one hand how many times United have got it 'wrong' with one of the Academy lads and I can go back to the 70's

Agree, it's a tough call, but good luck to the kid, and Mipo Odubeko before him.

Me, I'd be a 57½ year old patiently waiting my turn in the Reserves cleaning Neil Wood's car if need be ;)
I’d be washing the groundsman’s car next to you...

khoazany

Think is you look at the list of players recently released by the club that were highly rated at one point - Mitchell, CBJ, Gribbin or even the likes of Wilson etc before that. They ended up playing on level that are lower than many of their pals who were released/left earlier. For examples Jack Harrison was scoring for Leeds yesterday, whilst James Wilson sits on the bench on League Two. They were in the same age group before Harrison left iirc. Sometimes for the talents that are not top tier it might be a better decision to go out and get a pro career early at lower levels and force your way up, or move to club with more realistic pathway to 1st team rather than clinging on hopes.

Making it at Manchester United is super hard, and it should be otherwise it means that we are not top level anymore.

Winger11

Think is you look at the list of players recently released by the club that were highly rated at one point - Mitchell, CBJ, Gribbin or even the likes of Wilson etc before that. They ended up playing on level that are lower than many of their pals who were released/left earlier. For examples Jack Harrison was scoring for Leeds yesterday, whilst James Wilson sits on the bench on League Two. They were in the same age group before Harrison left iirc. Sometimes for the talents that are not top tier it might be a better decision to go out and get a pro career early at lower levels and force your way up, or move to club with more realistic pathway to 1st team rather than clinging on hopes.

Making it at Manchester United is super hard, and it should be otherwise it means that we are not top level anymore.
Not sure what I would prefer to be proud of: scoring two goals in my debut for MU or having decent career and finally getting to EPL with Leeds. Actually no - I'm sure what to prefer :)

MPTutd

I saw on twitter that an U17 side beat Burnley 3-1 last night. Anyone know the team or scorers?

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I saw on twitter that an U17 side beat Nurnley 3-1 last night. Anyone know the team or scorers?
SCORERS:

Manni Norkett ⚽⚽

Chris Popov ⚽

PLAYERS FEATURED:

U15s- Finley McAllister, Habeeb Ogunneye, Ruben Curley

U18s- Dan Polakowski, Oliver Kilner, Alvaro Fernandez, Marc Jurado, Dillon Hoogewerf

U16s- Chris Popov, Manni Norkett, Daniel Kavanagh, Sam Murray. Plus others.

Beaucoup

SCORERS:

Manni Norkett ⚽⚽

Chris Popov ⚽

PLAYERS FEATURED:

U15s- Finley McAllister, Habeeb Ogunneye, Ruben Curley

U18s- Dan Polakowski, Oliver Kilner, Alvaro Fernandez, Marc Jurado, Dillon Hoogewerf

U16s- Chris Popov, Manni Norkett, Daniel Kavanagh, Sam Murray. Plus others.
Lineup
Polakowski
Kilner
Aljofree
Hampson
Jurado
Fernandez
Hoogewerf
Mainoo
Oyedele
Kavannah
Norkett

khoazany

I wonder if Fredericson and Balogun are still at the club. I always see Aljofree on the line-up, even ahead of Murray surprisingly.

Good to see Kilner back playing.

Beaucoup

I wonder if Fredericson and Balogun are still at the club. I always see Aljofree on the line-up, even ahead of Murray surprisingly.

Good to see Kilner back playing.
Fredricson played against Liverpool. Murray is a full-back so he won't compete for a place with Aljofree

Beaucoup

16s beat Burnley 4-1
14/15s beat Barnsley 14/15s 9-0
15s lost to Barnsley 16s 8-1