Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Prodigal7

I think they could have made this sort of expedited format a bit better in terms of groupings and seedings to stop this from happening in a round of 64 knockout.
Anyway, it will be an interesting game.

Mickson

I think they could have made this sort of expedited format a bit better in terms of groupings and seedings to stop this from happening in a round of 64 knockout.
Anyway, it will be an interesting game.
They usually have a group stage, but obviously different times now.

Mickson

What do you know about the quality of the Olympiacos U19 team?
They have been totally awful historically in the Youth League. Took one point from six games last season. Greece teams overall have been pretty bad, AEK Athens didn't gain a single point the season before. But maybe you think Real Madrid is an easier tie?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Don’t think it’s Gordon as he’s moving to Liverpool

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
They are back in the Eliteserien so yes.
Would I be right in thinking he was starting to get a few appearances with their first team before he joined us? Could be a good move to loan him back if so.

Mickson

Would I be right in thinking he was starting to get a few appearances with their first team before he joined us? Could be a good move to loan him back if so.
Yes, mostly sub appearances but they were in the second-highest division and were top of the table from start to finish. Different times now, they will likely fight for survival. Might still be a good idea though.

NickyT

Are you allowed to go on loan abroad before your 18th bday?

Mickson

No loan move for Levitt is disappointing.

No two loan moves for Bishop, Kovar or Woolston is just shocking.
A disaster. Add to that: Romero and Grant who are not playing at all either.

De Gea, Henderson, Grant, Romero, Bishop, Kovar, Woolston, and Mastny. 8 keepers for our first team and U23. We also pay Joel Pereira to be cover for Huddersfield this season.

AltiUn

No loan move for Levitt is disappointing.

No two loan moves for Bishop, Kovar or Woolston is just shocking.
Regarding Kovar, I think it's the right choice to keep him. We need to build his confidence before sending him back out on loan.

mat85

KAIDE GORDON

The 16-year-old's move to Liverpool should be completed this week. He will initially join the Reds on an Academy scholarship as he cannot sign a professional contract until he turns 17 in October. Derby will receive more than £1m and the fee could rise depending on the player's progress. Gordon is believed to be Liverpool's record signing at that age and Derby's record sale.

From Derbyshire live

Sea-Cow

KAIDE GORDON

The 16-year-old's move to Liverpool should be completed this week. He will initially join the Reds on an Academy scholarship as he cannot sign a professional contract until he turns 17 in October. Derby will receive more than £1m and the fee could rise depending on the player's progress. Gordon is believed to be Liverpool's record signing at that age and Derby's record sale.

From Derbyshire live
Good luck to the lad.

Just kidding. YSB!

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Yeah, not sure what purpose Bishop and Woolston even serve here. We've been hoarding keepers for years, very unnecessarily.
Kovar had not a good time at Swindon and his performance for our U23 team in the last couple of weeks was another reason why he wouldn't get now another loan move like you have said.

Woolston has at least played several matches for the U23 team.

But Bishop is just a "training keeper" for De Gea, Henderson & Grant since over 12 months.

Kovar & Mastny would have been good enough for the rest of the season and Grant would have been a option in case of emergancy too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
United along with several other big European clubs are watching this player very closely who is considered one of the biggest midfield talents in the country.

Bertie Wooster

United along with several other big European clubs are watching this player very closely who is considered one of the biggest midfield talents in the country.

Sounds a good talent.

One player I was really disappointed we didn't go far (as far as I know) was Alfie Devine at Wigan, who Tottenham signed cheaply due to their financial troubles.

I've got friends who are Wigan fans and so I was aware of their good group of youngsters before they had their FA Youth Cup run last season. And I especially liked the sound of Alfie Devine - as I like a box to box midfielder and he's very highly rated.

When their talented youngsters became available cheap, I was hoping the fact we'd recently played them in the Youth Cup, and our geographical location, would mean we'd get someone like Devine (Joe Gelhardt has potential as well, but particularly Devine).

He's already been in the first team aged 16 at Tottenham and I'll find it really frustrating if he fulfils his huge potential with them.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Surely he's got more of an opportunity to develop and get first team football at Villa? They're playing some good stuff as well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Surely he's got more of an opportunity to develop and get first team football at Villa? They're playing some good stuff as well.
It seems like he's gonna stay at Villa from what i've read and that would be a very sensible decision on his part.

dinostar77

How have our Spainish signings from last summer settled in? Also how has Charlie McNeill done since coming back to Utd?

Mickson

How have our Spainish signings from last summer settled in? Also how has Charlie McNeill done since coming back to Utd?
Alvaro Fernandez has settled in very well. Playing almost every game in our U23 even. Scoring, assisting, and generally playing very well. Jurado hasn't played that much, and a lot that he has played hasn't been televised. But he has been OK from what I've seen. He's still very young. Garnacho has been OK too, but more up and down than Jurado. He has shown glimpses of brilliance but still not the first choice.

Charlie has been scoring goals, but his performance hasn't been the greatest IMO. He's been good but the expectations are high. 8 goals in 9 or 10 starts if my memory serves me right. Very good in the box, making time for his shots and so on.

dinostar77

Alvaro Fernandez has settled in very well. Playing almost every game in our U23 even. Scoring, assisting, and generally playing very well. Jurado hasn't played that much, and a lot that he has played hasn't been televised. But he has been OK from what I've seen. He's still very young. Garnacho has been OK too, but more up and down than Jurado. He has shown glimpses of brilliance but still not the first choice.

Charlie has been scoring goals, but his performance hasn't been the greatest IMO. He's been good but the expectations are high. 8 goals in 9 or 10 starts if my memory serves me right. Very good in the box, making time for his shots and so on.
Thanks for the update appreciated. It would be hard for any kid from abroad settling in this past year with covid and lockdown.

AltiUn

Lots of interesting reading in there, particularly Shoretire and Laird.

Journalist Daniel Harris recently commented that Liverpool underage coaches rated Laird as the best talent in his age group at United – an age group that also featured Mason Greenwood. This highlights Laird’s considerable promise, but also signals how much injuries have held him back in recent seasons, given Greenwood’s incredible rise at first team level in that time. Let’s hope Laird’s luck changes from here on.
This bit in particular stands out, I always felt there was little between Laird and Greenwood when they played together, if not for injuries I think Laird may already be part of the first team set up.