Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Bigsid

Brexit means we can’t bring them in until U18, going to be a lot of inter-academy trading going on at U16 and below.
Interesting. Guess if this means you bring in half your scholars from elsewhere there must be a school of thought that says you could just bring in 10 best talents at U16 and forget developing your own. Seems to be large quantities in older ages now at United bought in.

Beaucoup

Interesting. Guess if this means you bring in half your scholars from elsewhere there must be a school of thought that says you could just bring in 10 best talents at U16 and forget developing your own. Seems to be large quantities in older ages now at United bought in.
No different to most big clubs, most of the academy lads are local (within an hour) so it makes sense to widen the net when you can. It benefits everyone, even the lads that have been there a long time, gives them more competition and better players to play with. Ultimately it’s down to the individual.

Only downside is clubs will probably give scholarships to kids they know won’t have a chance only to get rid when they can bring in elite talent from abroad at 18.

AshRK

So with this brexit does it mean we won't be able to sign young talents from other countries like Mejbri anymore? Not sure how it works?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No different to most big clubs, most of the academy lads are local (within an hour) so it makes sense to widen the net when you can. It benefits everyone, even the lads that have been there a long time, gives them more competition and better players to play with. Ultimately it’s down to the individual.

Only downside is clubs will probably give scholarships to kids they know won’t have a chance only to get rid when they can bring in elite talent from abroad at 18.
That's potentially not bad for the lower leagues though. Just means you're unlikely to regularly see U18 teams with 11 highly talented players at once. We'll probably go back to having more players who end up in the non-league teams quite quickly when they leave I would think and there might be less competition for the biggest talents.

Bigsid

Fair points. Was suggested to me by City Scout that they have only r
That's potentially not bad for the lower leagues though. Just means you're unlikely to regularly see U18 teams with 11 highly talented players at once. We'll probably go back to having more players who end up in the non-league teams quite quickly when they leave I would think and there might be less competition for the biggest talents.
Sure pre bringing in loads of foreign players at 16 we developed our own!

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So with this brexit does it mean we won't be able to sign young talents from other countries like Mejbri anymore? Not sure how it works?
Yeah we won't be able to sign them.

KM

No shock we are spending heavily on u16. City just spent 400k on a 13yr old. That's our competition.

Ace of Spades

Yeah, because of brexit expect a lot of players to shuffle from club to club even more now.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That's our tactics sorted then. We will just score from every kick-off. :D

Beaucoup

U15s won end of season tournament at City’s academy.
Beat Blackburn, Derby and drew with City.

Rbloomer668

Ennis is at Cobham (Chelsea's training ground) on Instagram did his deal with us fall through?

Danish Wizard

Young keeper Johan Guadagno is on trial with FC Copenhagen, and plays a friendly for them one of the next days.

lysglimt

Scout
Young keeper Johan Guadagno is on trial with FC Copenhagen, and plays a friendly for them one of the next days.
He was a strange one - solid on the line, but I have never seen a keeper create so many problems for his defenders as he did on his debut. It was like he was looking to see - which defender has an attacker closest and threw the ball to him. Was probably just nerves but was hilarious all the same.

lysglimt

Scout
Mark Helm joining Burnley - and Reece Devine joining St.Mirren on loan. Manager Davidson said:

“With his background at Man United I would have no qualms about playing Reece right now.

“I really like the way he plays and I’m delighted to get him.

“He is full of energy and likes to get forward. He is a hungry young player.

“Reece will be competing with Callum Booth, who was outstanding for us towards the end of the season.

KM

So it seems like Ben Grist has joined Leicester and Ethan Ennis is still undecided.

Seems like no new acquisitions to u18 so far, which is quite weird(pretty sure I've forgotten someone)

pascell

Mark Helm joining Burnley - and Reece Devine joining St.Mirren on loan. Manager Davidson said:

“With his background at Man United I would have no qualms about playing Reece right now.

“I really like the way he plays and I’m delighted to get him.

“He is full of energy and likes to get forward. He is a hungry young player.

“Reece will be competing with Callum Booth, who was outstanding for us towards the end of the season.
Isn't/wasn't Devine highly rated?

Why would we loan him to a team who he'd be competing with a player who was outstanding towards the end of the last campaign?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Isn't/wasn't Devine highly rated?

Why would we loan him to a team who he'd be competing with a player who was outstanding towards the end of the last campaign?
He's a good player but he doesn't strike me as someone who'll ever play for our first team.

Connor C

So it seems like Ben Grist has joined Leicester and Ethan Ennis is still undecided.

Seems like no new acquisitions to u18 so far, which is quite weird(pretty sure I've forgotten someone)
I’d imagine it’s due to the fact that there’s gonna be like 9 first year scholars next season. A lot of U16 will probably feature as well Jackson, McAllister, Nolan, Ogunneye for example.

Jordicruyfffanclub

Has the first year scholar intake for next season been announced yet or would anyone know who the potential names are?
I'm assuming Gore, Mather, Murray, Mainoo and Hanbury. Who else?

lysglimt

Scout
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how well-paid these coaching jobs are at top-clubs ?

lysglimt

Scout
What concerns me with both U23 and U18 is that our attacking players improve - but with our defensive players, the development is not going the same way.

At one stage I rated players like Fish and Mengi very highly - now I would say that our 8-10 most talented players all are attacking players. This could be a coincidence, it could be that defensive players need a lot more time to develop, or it could be a case of unbalance in our training session - where too much focus is put on the attacking part of the game. It does seem strange, but the quality of our defending is worrying.

Mark Pawelek

What concerns me with both U23 and U18 is that our attacking players improve - but with our defensive players, the development is not going the same way.

At one stage I rated players like Fish and Mengi very highly - now I would say that our 8-10 most talented players all are attacking players. This could be a coincidence, it could be that defensive players need a lot more time to develop, or it could be a case of unbalance in our training session - where too much focus is put on the attacking part of the game. It does seem strange, but the quality of our defending is worrying.
Agree. Maybe not just at youth level either. I hear Dalot's defence improved a lot on loan. But not much at United. Nothing wrong with an attacking bias for youth players (18 and under); but when they're defenders and over-18, they should mostly be improving the defence. When we bought AWB, we should also have got the coaches who converted him from winger to fullback!

Last edited: