Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I'm sure we signed him, he's appeared in the last two u23 games
Unless he just signed recently then he’s still just on trial I believe. It’s why he missed the EFL trophy match and we played that weird ass 1 CB formation. He isn’t signed so wasn’t eligible. U23s league matches don’t require the same registration.

0le

Neil Gittins - Coaching and Programme Manager (U7s to U11s)
Connor Hunter - Pre-Academy Manager
Jarrad Ince - Pre-Academy Lead Coach
Mark Jablonski - ?
Remise Dejonge - ?
Steve Juliff - ?
Gary Riley - ?
Bernard Concannon - ?
Dermot Clarke - ?
Jack Fallows - ?

pascell

Unless he just signed recently then he’s still just on trial I believe. It’s why he missed the EFL trophy match and we played that weird ass 1 CB formation. He isn’t signed so wasn’t eligible. U23s league matches don’t require the same registration.
I'd presumed he'd signed as he'd played a few games and we're light at the back at that age group.

Bertie Wooster

The lack of youth games on MUTV seems to be continuing.

The next two U23 matches take place at Saturday lunch time so won't be shown live as they clash with PL games on TV.

The U18's game v Middlesbrough this Saturday was going to be on MUTV but it's now been moved to next month as United play their UEFA Youth League game on Tuesday afternoon (which isn't on MUTV). And I can't see an U18 game for the following week.

Very frustrating first couple of months of the season in terms of getting to watch the youth matches. :(

fitzmertz

The next two U23 matches take place at Saturday lunch time so won't be shown live as they clash with PL games on TV.

The U18's game v Middlesbrough this Saturday was going to be on MUTV but it's now been moved to next month as United play their UEFA Youth League game on Tuesday afternoon (which isn't on MUTV). And I can't see an U18 game for the following week.

Very frustrating first couple of months of the season in terms of getting to watch the youth matches. :(
The UEFA Youth league game away at Young Boys is on BT Sport 2.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

I know everyone wants to see the games and so it is frustrating. I keep pretty extensive records of all games (my records go back to 1932), so whilst it doesn't necessarily help if there's any info you need I'm happy to share it.

Bertie Wooster

I know everyone wants to see the games and so it is frustrating. I keep pretty extensive records of all games (my records go back to 1932), so whilst it doesn't necessarily help if there's any info you need I'm happy to share it.
Thanks for the offer - and for keeping all those records. That's a great effort. :)

I mostly just like watching the Youth games for two reasons - I can cheer on a United team but without the almost sickening nerves over the result that I have with the senior team, so I actually find them more enjoyable during the 90 minutes.

And I'm also an obsessive about United, and a bit of a nerd, and so really like knowing about the next generations coming through and I make notes about their attributes and likelihood of making it, etc. I had a lengthy spell of doing that while watching loads of Youth Tournaments on TV, so knew about most of the next groups coming through in the world for about 10 years. But in recent years I've not had the time to do that and only really have the time to do it for United's youngsters.

Mickson

The U18 game against Stoke won't be televised either now when the game against Villa has been moved to 12.30. Not all their fault, but MUTV hasn't even shown half of the U18 and U23 games this season. I can't remember it ever being so low in numbers. As I said before, I don't know what I'm paying for.

lysglimt

Scout
Well - if it was important to the club to broadcast these games live, they would not constantly put them at times when they collide with other matches. They could be switched to sunday at lunch or tuesday night rather than monday night.

Or why do we not put some of them on friday nights anymore ?

limerickcitykid

Has signed permanently for Darlington.
Doncaster Rovers.

The scheduling is insane for matches, they bring in this new rule and then immediately start scheduling all the matches so they can’t be broadcast. It’s not even just us, half the leagues matches are on saturdays now when it used to be entirely on Friday/Monday. It’s absurd. MUTV is really pointless now. They don’t even show replays of the matches for some inexplicable reason.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Doncaster Rovers.

The scheduling is insane for matches, they bring in this new rule and then immediately start scheduling all the matches so they can’t be broadcast. It’s not even just us, half the leagues matches are on saturdays now when it used to be entirely on Friday/Monday. It’s absurd. MUTV is really pointless now. They don’t even show replays of the matches for some inexplicable reason.
Not sure how I have managed to confuse both of them but yeah Doncaster Rovers.

Mr. MUJAC

Well - if it was important to the club to broadcast these games live, they would not constantly put them at times when they collide with other matches. They could be switched to sunday at lunch or tuesday night rather than monday night.

Or why do we not put some of them on friday nights anymore ?
In principle this is true...in reality there are other factors to consider.

1. United just can't 'decide' when to play games. It has to be agreed with the other club and then agreed with the Premier League. The other two parties involved aren't that interested if MUTV covers the game or not.

2. MUTV only have a certain budget and a certain number of staff to cover games. If there is a clash then resources are difficult to manage. In theory the club would just give MUTV an unlimited budget and MUTV (as a separate entity/company) could hire as many commentators, camera crew, technicians as they want. But the club doesn't give them an unlimited budget. The club is NOT MUTV. They have no control over what the club does.

3. Traditionally, all games used to kick-off at the same time on the same day. So as a fan you had to choose a youth game, a reserve game or a first team game. You rarely could watch all three unless there were mid-week games. So this is all a relatively modern situation.

4. Friday nights are terrible for match going fans, particularly in winter. The traffic is a nightmare, people are finishing up for the week or preparing for the weekend and players want to play in front of as many people as possible.

5. Having said all of this, there must be a better way of MUTV covering the games and showing the matches on the channel even if it is after the event.

Mr. MUJAC

Doncaster Rovers.

As a subscriber to MUTV, the lack of coverage of youth football is one of my main reasons for paying my fee each month. MUTV as most know is a separate company to MUFC the football club. Therefore they only have a limited budget. It's a catch 22...if people don't subscribe or look for streams to avoid paying the subscription, the company earns less revenue and there is less funding for both hiring staff to cover the games, or paying image rights to other clubs to get their coverage.

On the other hand, for some reason this season it does appear to be significantly worse and the lack of communication is frustrating. If MUTV do continue to marginalise youth games then the fallout will be lots of people cancelling subscriptions.

limerickcitykid

Shoretire the bright spark today and scored a nice goal, made it look easy with the FIFA finesse shot. I really like how Charlie Savage has stepped up, really composed under pressure and plays the ball through the lines well. Phil Jones also showed some exceptional composure to play out of dangerous situations and run through the middle too.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Charlie Patino just casually jogged the ball into the back of the net. Phil Jones maybe has a excuse for his poor play but the others in the sequence in question are very poor and just allow him to casually trot through. Neil Wood must've been fuming.

Mickson

Charlie Patino just casually jogged the ball into the back of the net. Phil Jones maybe has a excuse for his poor play but the others in the sequence in question are very poor and just allow him to casually trot through. Neil Wood must've been fuming.

The Curios Case of Teden Mengi.

Mickson

Pretty much all our loan players are playing regularly and at very good clubs too (Aston Villa, Norwich, Swansea, Deportivo Alaves, Flamengo etc). Not every year, that.

Sea-Cow

Who is it that he brushes off the ball initially? Then that attempted "tackle" from the first person that steps up is pretty poor.

Its a class finish though. I know that he is highly rated at Arsenal.

limerickcitykid

Who is it that he brushes off the ball initially? Then that attempted "tackle" from the first person that steps up is pretty poor.

Its a class finish though. I know that he is highly rated at Arsenal.
He wins it off Svidersky who has struggled with the step up a level imo. Then it’s Sam Mather he brushes off, only 16 but he was invisible when he came in. Then skips past Mengi and Jones tries to come across for the last ditch. Mengi and Jones were decent on the day, had a lot to deal with.

Ace of Spades

Our defending has been off for a while now, irrespective of the players. The players change, the faulty defending remains. I can only assume it is a problem with the coaching, or something.

Sea-Cow

He wins it off Svidersky who has struggled with the step up a level imo. Then it’s Sam Mather he brushes off, only 16 but he was invisible when he came in. Then skips past Mengi and Jones tries to come across for the last ditch. Mengi and Jones were decent on the day, had a lot to deal with.
Cheers. And no surprise to hear that Jones was decent, as he is awesome and I love him.

And FFS are we so desperate for numbers that we're promoting 16 year olds to the U23s?

vva

Charlie Patino may be really a level above others in U23. Arsenal has a very good player in their hands. For Mejbri, I do think he has quiet start in this season. Many of U23 players left on loan and only himself alone can't lift the team up.

Van Becks

Guys does anyone know the UYL squad that traveled and can the likes of Hannibal and Elanga play both for the UYL and senior team

Bertie Wooster

Guys does anyone know the UYL squad that traveled and can the likes of Hannibal and Elanga play both for the UYL and senior team
Here's the 40 man squad. I'm not sure which travelled to the Young Boys game...

Goalkeepers: Radek Vitek, Ondrej Mastny, Daniel Polakowski, Eric Hanbury.

Defenders: Teden Mengi, Willy Kambwala, Bjorn Hardley, Rhys Bennett, Marc Jurado, Alvaro Fernandez, Logan Pye, Sonny Aljofree, Marcus Lawrence, Sam Murray, Tyler Fredricson, Louis Jackson, James Nolan, Habeeb Ogunneye.

Midfielders: Hannibal Mejbri, Shola Shoretire, Martin Svidersky, Omari Forson, Isak Hansen-Aaroen, Charlie Savage, Zidane Iqbal, Ethan Ennis, Daniel Gore, Sam Mather, Kobbie Mainoo, Max Oyedele, Malachi Sharpe, Finley McAllister, Ethan Williams.

Forwards: Anthony Elanga, Joseph Hugill, Charlie McNeill, Dillon Hoogewerf, Alejandro Garnacho, Mateo Mejia, Manni Norkett.

I assume the likes of Hannibal, Elanga and Mengi can play in both as they've been listed in both (part of the B squad for the senior team).

Bertie Wooster

Weird lineup.
Wouldn't call it weird.

It's pretty much what I expected it to be apart from no Hannibal or Hoogewerf and Mather starting. That's a surprise for me. But they seem to really rate him as he featured for the U23's in their last game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pretty much all our loan players are playing regularly and at very good clubs too (Aston Villa, Norwich, Swansea, Deportivo Alaves, Flamengo etc). Not every year, that.

Yeah, early days but generally playtime is looking promising for our loanees this season.

Last edited:

Mickson

Wouldn't call it weird.

It's pretty much what I expected it to be apart from no Hannibal or Hoogewerf and Mather starting. That's a surprise for me. But they seem to really rate him as he featured for the U23's in their last game.
I would think they would go with much experience, for example, both Hugill and McNeill starting, and Iqbal there too. But yeah, many players are not involved at all. Elanga, Hannibal, Mastny, Hansen, Hoogewerf, Forson etc etc. But as you said, they seem to rate Mather highly. Will be exciting following him.

Yeah, touch wood but early days but generally playtime is looking promising for our loanees this season.
Don't know what happened to Will Fish though. But other than that!