Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

mat85

I don't think the loan to Derby helped, nor served much purpose other than to lend a hand to Rooney.

Hopefully his next loan, whenever that may be, is better thought out, much like the loans we've picked for Laird.
Why do you say that? Games in the championship at that age I would've considered a positive

mat85

It's only the top team that qualifies from the youth champions league groups isn't it?

lysglimt

Scout
I don't think the loan to Derby helped, nor served much purpose other than to lend a hand to Rooney.

Hopefully his next loan, whenever that may be, is better thought out, much like the loans we've picked for Laird.
I am sure it didn't help - but he performed a lot worse for our reserves than he did at Derby so - I don't think it hurt either.

pascell

Why do you say that? Games in the championship at that age I would've considered a positive
I think it was too much, too soon with too much pressure as Derby were going to be fighting relegation form the outset. Mengi hadn't had much time to get bedded into and accustomed to u23 football neither before he was thrown in at the deep end.

I am sure it didn't help - but he performed a lot worse for our reserves than he did at Derby so - I don't think it hurt either.
Of course, which is expected of a young player but there was too much pressure on him from the start at Derby. When I say it didn't help, I meant that in a way that I think he'd have been better off heading down the leagues like Bernard and Laird, then progressing up them each season until we feel he's ready for the PL.

Blzbud

I think it was too much, too soon with too much pressure as Derby were going to be fighting relegation form the outset. Mengi hadn't had much time to get bedded into and accustomed to u23 football neither before he was thrown in at the deep end.

Of course, which is expected of a young player but there was too much pressure on him from the start at Derby. When I say it didn't help, I meant that in a way that I think he'd have been better off heading down the leagues like Bernard and Laird, then progressing up them each season until we feel he's ready for the PL.
Sorry, but I thought reports of him at Derby were pretty good. I agree that his form this season has not shown huge improvement from before he went on loan, but I think it’s difficult to say whether it was the loan itself that was the cause of him not seeming to kick on now he’s back.

He’s still really young and another loan seems like the best option for him, but it’s highly unlikely that it will be above championship level, though it shouldn’t be below it either.

fitzmertz

Amad scores to make it 1-0 in the 7th minute for the U23s against Leeds Utd. Now 1-1 McGuirk equalised. McNeill 2-1 33 minutes. Under 18s up 1-0 after 32 minutes Norkett with the goal.

Last edited:

fitzmertz

Amad with a late winner 3-2. Meanwhile Sam Mather makes it 2-0 for the Under 18s.

Last edited:

Demaw

Four assists for Laird already. Can he reach ten by the end of the season? Probably.
Great news about Ethan. Seems to be in form and not getting injuries. Hoping this continues. Would be a great option for the 1st squad next season if he keeps progressing.

Mickson

Wouldn't put it past him.
Certainly not. Hopefully, he will score a goal too! I know he's dying to.

Great news about Ethan. Seems to be in form and not getting injuries. Hoping this continues. Would be a great option for the 1st squad next season if he keeps progressing.
Yeah, he has barely been injured in the past two seasons. Long may it continue! I rather play Laird than AWB, with all the respect to AWB.

Mickson

Stanley is back from his loan at Atlanta 2. He will surely be released in the summer? Hopefully, all goes well for him.

voyasvirta

Does anybody know if we signed Jaden Jones or not? He played for the u16's in the friendlies in NI.

Bertie Wooster

Does anybody know if we signed Jaden Jones or not? He played for the u16's in the friendlies in NI.
Yeah, I wondered about him as well.

I saw him play in the NI friendlies as you say, same as Harrison Parker who later joined us. He looked decent - though I was more impressed by his CM partner, Jack Moorhouse, who's made his U18 debut recently and who I thought looked a very solid all round CM.

Demaw

Thanks Bertie, I have heard a bit about Jack so nice that you saw him play.

Bertie Wooster

Thanks Bertie, I have heard a bit about Jack so nice that you saw him play.
I liked the look of him, although he was only playing against youngsters from NI sides. Probably in the mould of a Garner / Galbraith type in that, physically, he didn't have any stand out attributes but he was good on the ball in the middle of the pitch and could either play deep and look to start attacks or get forward and link up in attacks. He also took the set pieces and seemed to be the one setting the pace of the team.

But that was at a young level where he was a key component, and against weaker opposition. I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs with the U18's and was pleased to see him make his debut recently, but disappointed that it wasn't on MUTV.

Demaw

Yes, that's why I enjoy the 18's so much. You guys in England can occasionally see the 16's etc and mention kids coming through so helps us overseas supporters have players to look out for.

lysglimt

Scout
any of you have problems with the sound in MUTV's live matches - once I watch the game live, the sound just vanishes. If I look at anything else, the sound is there

Bertie Wooster

any of you have problems with the sound in MUTV's live matches - once I watch the game live, the sound just vanishes. If I look at anything else, the sound is there
The sounds fine - when I can get a picture. But I've switched phones in the last few months and now the games keep freezing far more regularly so I'm missing chunks of the games.

It only seems to be an issue with MUTV - I can watch live stuff on BBC, ITV, Eurosport Player, etc, without it continually freezing.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The sounds fine - when I can get a picture. But I've switched phones in the last few months and now the games keep freezing far more regularly so I'm missing chunks of the games.

It only seems to be an issue with MUTV - I can watch live stuff on BBC, ITV, Eurosport Player, etc, without it continually freezing.
Same, it's fecking frustrating. On a Pixel 5 for reference

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
I had the same sound glitch on my Galaxy S10. Would work fine in audio mode but no audio while video was playing.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bernard's success at championship level is such a nice surprise. He's still very young and Hull fans rate him highly. Could have a PL career.

Classical Mechanic

I don't know if it's been posted but Aidan Barlow is currently at Doncaster in League One. I read a while back that he was out of the game and struggling a bit so it's good news. He played 90 minutes for them yesterday.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't know if it's been posted but Aidan Barlow is currently at Doncaster in League One. I read a while back that he was out of the game and struggling a bit so it's good news. He played 90 minutes for them yesterday.
Nice to hear, really liked him as a player, thought he was a talented lad.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bernard's success at championship level is such a nice surprise. He's still very young and Hull fans rate him highly. Could have a PL career.
I always liked him myself. Not that I thought he'd make it here but still. Nice to hear he's doing well.
Nice to hear, really liked him as a player, thought he was a talented lad.
With Galbraith being at Doncaster I've kept up with their season and it looks like a lot of their fans think there's a player in there. He's just lacking confidence and self belief. Of course, with the season they're having, he's had some abuse, but everyone has. Well, everyone except 'r Ethan who seems to be universally loved by them!

Mickson

I always liked him myself. Not that I thought he'd make it here but still. Nice to hear he's doing well.

With Galbraith being at Doncaster I've kept up with their season and it looks like a lot of their fans think there's a player in there. He's just lacking confidence and self belief. Of course, with the season they're having, he's had some abuse, but everyone has. Well, everyone except 'r Ethan who seems to be universally loved by them!
Oluwu is there too (the lad who played a few games for United as a trialist at the beginning of the season, he was sent off yesterday btw).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good on him, proper talent Barlow in my book. Hope he can get some rhythm going and have the career he deserves.

Bertie Wooster

Too windy?
Waterlogged pitch.

Completely understandable given the weather, but really frustrating as that game was going to be on MUTV. Meanwhile the U23 match is, yet again, being played Saturday rather than Friday night so isn't on MUTV.

U23 team v Crystal Palace (kick off 12pm)...

Heaton, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Svidersky, Iqbal, Savage, McNeil, Hansen-Aarøen, Elanga.

Subs: Mastny, Jurado, Garnacho, McShane, Hoogewerf.