Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Waterlogged pitch.

Completely understandable given the weather, but really frustrating as that game was going to be on MUTV. Meanwhile the U23 match is, yet again, being played Saturday rather than Friday night so isn't on MUTV.

U23 team v Crystal Palace (kick off 12pm)...

Heaton, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Svidersky, Iqbal, Savage, McNeil, Hansen-Aarøen, Elanga.

Subs: Mastny, Jurado, Garnacho, McShane, Hoogewerf.
It's almost rage-inducing at this point :lol:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Looks a good team that considering no Hannibal or Amad. Who will play wide right though, Savage?

Fitchett

I went to the match, it was absolutely freezing! A howler from Tom Heaton after only two minutes, when he was tackled in the penalty area, for Palace to take the lead. McNeill equalised midway through the first half, before the Palace winner early in the second half. Palace had some really big lads in their team, it was like men against boys at times. Mengi was impressive at the back, both him and Heaton were very vocal in organising the defence.

mav_9me

I went to the match, it was absolutely freezing! A howler from Tom Heaton after only two minutes, when he was tackled in the penalty area, for Palace to take the lead. McNeill equalised midway through the first half, before the Palace winner early in the second half. Palace had some really big lads in their team, it was like men against boys at times. Mengi was impressive at the back, both him and Heaton were very vocal in organising the defence.
Appreciate the information.

Demaw

thanks for this >Mengi has put together a few great games recently, good to hear. Missing Willy K so hoping he returns soon.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Agreed. The pitch was half frozen in places so United's passing game was difficult to get going. The ball was bobbling about and the players seemed to need an extra touch. As mentioned, the Palace defenders were huge and poor Charlie McNeill was manhandled off the ball so many times he had no chance. He will learn from that though.

Fernandez was impressive going forward and Iqbal had a few mazy runs but we needed to be more direct and our final ball was often missing. Their keeper was tiny and yet, even with the sun in his eyes in the second half, our only shot from distance was in the last minute. We seem to do this at all levels. I'm not sure if it is a coaching issue but having a shot from outside the box is a rare thing. Savage was ok...Svidersky wasn't his usual self and was at fault for their goal in the second half. Mengi very strong. Hansen was fairly quiet. Neither keeper really had that much to do and a lot of their players picked up bookings for bad tackles.

Iqbal was mostly playing the 10 role with Savage and Svidersky just behind. Fernandez and Wellens played as wide players...Elanga was wasted out on the left and only got a clean run on goal once when he his shot was tame.

A draw would have been fair and all three goals were from silly mistakes. It was one of those days and we seem to be missing loads of players through injury or unavailability. Mejbri, Shoretire, Traore, Emeran, Mateo, Hugill, Pye, Kambwala. No real impact available from the bench.

Heaton, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Svidersky, Iqbal, Savage, McNeill, Hansen, Elanga.

Subs: Jurado, Mastny, Garnacho (6), McShane, Hoogewerf (9).

Fitchett

Agreed. The pitch was half frozen in places so United's passing game was difficult to get going. The ball was bobbling about and the players seemed to need an extra touch. As mentioned, the Palace defenders were huge and poor Charlie McNeill was manhandled off the ball so many times he had no chance. He will learn from that though.

Fernandez was impressive going forward and Iqbal had a few mazy runs but we needed to be more direct and our final ball was often missing. Their keeper was tiny and yet, even with the sun in his eyes in the second half, our only shot from distance was in the last minute. We seem to do this at all levels. I'm not sure if it is a coaching issue but having a shot from outside the box is a rare thing. Savage was ok...Svidersky wasn't his usual self and was at fault for their goal in the second half. Mengi very strong. Hansen was fairly quiet. Neither keeper really had that much to do and a lot of their players picked up bookings for bad tackles.

Iqbal was mostly playing the 10 role with Savage and Svidersky just behind. Fernandez and Wellens played as wide players...Elanga was wasted out on the left and only got a clean run on goal once when he his shot was tame.

A draw would have been fair and all three goals were from silly mistakes. It was one of those days and we seem to be missing loads of players through injury or unavailability. Mejbri, Shoretire, Traore, Emeran, Mateo, Hugill, Pye, Kambwala. No real impact available from the bench.

Heaton, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Svidersky, Iqbal, Savage, McNeill, Hansen, Elanga.

Subs: Jurado, Mastny, Garnacho (6), McShane, Hoogewerf (9).
That's a good account, thanks for posting.

UTD_Since_1978

You know what & I know that probably some people won't agree with me but with Ralf bringing his own ideas & all & a lot of people on here saying Carrick & Co should go, I think the U-23 manager Woods should go as well, I think he has a fairly talented group of lads (some better than others) but rarely gets a tune out of them & none are really pushing for first team action like they really should, plus he comes over as a moody beggar too. Just my thoughts.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
That's quite a young team isn't it? And that's Ennis who came from Liverpool, has he played already?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Finished 3-0 to Everton, in case anyone was wondering. Fair result, we looked blunt and completely devoid of ideas or a gameplan of any kind.

Bertie Wooster

D'Mani Mellor playing for the U23's today. I can't find out if his loan with Salford has ended early, as he's rarely featured, or if it's because he needs game time after his injury - can he feature for the U23's while still out on loan?

Anyway, they're currently 2-0 up in the 2nd half away to Blackburn. Goals from Garnacho and Shoretire.

Kovar, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Savage, Mellor, Iqbal, McNeill, Shoretire, Garnacho.

Subs: Mastny, McShane, Emeran, Hogewerf.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
D'Mani Mellor playing for the U23's today. I can't find out if his loan with Salford has ended early, as he's rarely featured, or if it's because he needs game time after his injury - can he feature for the U23's while still out on loan?

Anyway, they're currently 2-0 up in the 2nd half away to Blackburn. Goals from Garnacho and Shoretire.

Kovar, Wellens, Fernandez, Mengi, Hardley, Savage, Mellor, Iqbal, McNeill, Shoretire, Garnacho.

Subs: Mastny, McShane, Emeran, Hogewerf.

Emeran came on for Mellor after 73 mins and Hoogewerf replaced Shoretire on 86 mins.

Goals: Garnacho ('6, '77), Shoretire ('32), McNeill ('90+1)

Loopy

Good on him, proper talent Barlow in my book. Hope he can get some rhythm going and have the career he deserves.
He was very talented and outstanding from an early age. I understand it’s been a challenge for him the past year - 18months. Good news about the 90mins.

Fanta Stick

He was very talented and outstanding from an early age. I understand it’s been a challenge for him the past year - 18months. Good news about the 90mins.
Barlow played 70 mins last night along with Ethan Galbraith.

Results aside, Galbraith has had a very positive loan experience at Doncaster Rovers. He reminds me a little of Frankie de Jong with how comfortable he is turning/feinting with the ball under pressure.

Bigsid

U16's played tournament against Man city and Fulham this weekend and lost both games 3-1.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Barlow played 70 mins last night along with Ethan Galbraith.

Results aside, Galbraith has had a very positive loan experience at Doncaster Rovers. He reminds me a little of Frankie de Jong with how comfortable he is turning/feinting with the ball under pressure.

Elegant player. I'd love it if he was given a chance with us in pre-season.

Bigsid

City absolutely wiped the floor with our U16’s
Am told there's a massive gap between the groups despite us having a physical advantage. Is it technical ability or coaching? Doesn't bode well for us over the coming years. City I can accept but Fulham too?

dutchred

Am told there's a massive gap between the groups despite us having a physical advantage. Is it technical ability or coaching? Doesn't bode well for us over the coming years. City I can accept but Fulham too?
Fulham always have good youth teams

Beaucoup

70% coaching 30% ability, I wasn’t there, but I’ve watched the game, totally outclassed

Ace of Spades

Apparently, rumours that some of the u23s have tested positive for covid according to the men. Anyone know anything about this ??

Demaw

70% coaching 30% ability, I wasn’t there, but I’ve watched the game, totally outclassed
Not good to hear Beaucoup at all. Hope Ralf goes through the academy with a fine tooth comb. With our debts, the recruitment and moving of our youngsters into the first team squad, or sadly good sales, is crucial, probably more than ever.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good on him. Always seemed weird the way his last few months went, looks like he's reasonably well rated at the FA at least.

Bertie Wooster

Tomorrow's U23 game v Chelsea has been postponed as well.

Not a surprise given the covid issues in the squad and the first team postponements, but sounds like it's more precautionary rather than a necessity like the first team games.

Totally understandable, but the frustrating thing is it was the first Friday night U23 game for ages, so the first one for ages that was set to be on MUTV.

Last edited:

Loopy

Tomorrow's U23 game v Chelsea has been postponed as well.

Not a surprise given the covid issues in the squad and the first team postponements, but sounds like it's more precautionary rather than a necessity like the first team games.

Totally understandable, but the frustrating thing is it was the first Friday night U23 game for ages, so the first one for ages that was set to be on MUTV.
Any news on the U18 Game? Think it was WBA away. I’m assuming they are keeping the age groups apart / bubbles to keep some training / games going on?

Demaw

France is the area to be working on. Amazing talents coming out from there.

Bertie Wooster

Any news on the U18 Game? Think it was WBA away. I’m assuming they are keeping the age groups apart / bubbles to keep some training / games going on?
That's also been postponed.

It wasn't scheduled to be on MUTV with the first team set to play at that time. Whether they'd have put it on at short notice after the first team game was called off I don't know (probably not with all the covid issues), but it's now been postponed as well.