Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United U/18's defeated Altrincham 3-2 in a friendly match at the Cliff last night.

Almost two full teams involved and our goals were scored by second half substitutes Ethan Wheatley, James Scanlon and Amir Ibragimov.

Connor C

United U/18's defeated Altrincham 3-2 in a friendly match at the Cliff last night.

Almost two full teams involved and our goals were scored by second half substitutes Ethan Wheatley, James Scanlon and Amir Ibragimov.
Where does Ibragimov rank in terms of youngest players to play for the 18s?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Where does Ibragimov rank in terms of youngest players to play for the 18s?
It was a friendly match and loads of youngsters have featured over the years. Some we won't even know about. But it's pretty rare.

In terms of competitive games, Shola Shoretire was 14 years, 10 months, 10 days old when he played in the U/19 UEFA Youth League against Valencia in December 2018.

That will be hard to beat.

And of course Arthur Rowley played in our first team at 15 years, 5 days old back in 1941.

Beaucoup

U17s beat City 4-3 In the first group game of the PL cup, great game, came back from 3-0 down, 2x Berry, 1x Jackson and Parker with the winner.

Bigsid

U17s beat City 4-3 In the first group game of the PL cup, great game, came back from 3-0 down, 2x Berry, 1x Jackson and Parker with the winner.
Great comeback that. City parent claiming they had a few players in the Youth Champions league tie as 16 year old Ndala scored the winner against Dortmund and also brought on a 14 year old in the second half when three up. Good for confidence all the same.

Beaucoup

Great comeback that. City parent claiming they had a few players in the Youth Champions league tie as 16 year old Ndala scored the winner against Dortmund and also brought on a 14 year old in the second half when three up. Good for confidence all the same.
Sour grapes from City, Ndala played the full 90, they also played 2 second years. Utd started three U16's, the rest were all 1st years, they were beaten fair and square.

Bigsid

Sour grapes from City, Ndala played the full 90, they also played 2 second years. Utd started three U16's, the rest were all 1st years, they were beaten fair and square.
Sounds about right. Did they not put kids on at 3 nil?

stealthy

Any Derby win a bonus but still so young and difficult to judge potential players. Sure lads were buzzing though

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Apparently our u13s defeated City's u13 5-0. JJ with a hattrick.

Mickson

We have a lot of players who "fail to make the step up". This means they progress nicely from U16 to U18 and then U21, but after that, nothing really happens. I can namedrop plenty of players who just don't progress from that. Shoretire, for example, has been at the same stage of his career for 2-3 years now. What is the plan for him? What's the plan for Savage? What's the plan for Iqbal? I fear that the answer is; that there is no plan.

phelans shorts

We have a lot of players who "fail to make the step up". This means they progress nicely from U16 to U18 and then U21, but after that, nothing really happens. I can namedrop plenty of players who just don't progress from that. Shoretire, for example, has been at the same stage of his career for 2-3 years now. What is the plan for him? What's the plan for Savage? What's the plan for Iqbal? I fear that the answer is; that there is no plan.
Those players are still children. Human beings don’t progress in a linear fashion for christs sake, calm down.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shola's a bit of a weird one because he basically bypassed U18 football entirely, think he only has about 10 appearances for our U18s. Think he would've benefitted more from consistent football there first. I know the coaches saw it differently but I never thought he was good enough to justify being fast tracked to the U21s/23s

Bigsid

Must be impossible to formulate a plan for all given many clubs wont take a chance on the loan signings of 18 and 19 year olds from us. Few of them are ripping it up in the 21s and the lower down the leagues the more physical the challenge meaning for many of these players if they dont make it here they may struggle. You can see how difficult it is to get opportunities for them given the likes of Hannibal and Diallo are on the bench despite their huge transfer fees.

Beaucoup

Shola's a bit of a weird one because he basically bypassed U18 football entirely, think he only has about 10 appearances for our U18s. Think he would've benefitted more from consistent football there first. I know the coaches saw it differently but I never thought he was good enough to justify being fast tracked to the U21s/23s
I agree, you have to learn your craft, and being pushed up, sometimes for non-footballer reasons is detrimental to development in the long term.

Bigsid

Mad how we try and rush players. Same happened with Shola. Good luck to the lad but i watched 16s in Ireland and would say he was decent enough but didnt stand out.

Bondi77

Is he strong for his age?
I would have thought he would have to be being a 15yo playing u21 football.

Red71

Thanks for the video…really interesting. He looks to have a little of young Rooney about him. Very promising!

Be interested to know why he’s being pushed up the levels so quickly if it’s not as a result of his talent. He certainly looks to have something.

I’d rather see us push players on than keep them at a level they’ve outgrown. I’ve often felt we’ve not challenged enough of our youth talent in the past to push their development. If they’re good enough, etc etc…

Beaucoup

U18s beat Norwich 2-1 in a friendly today. Oyedele and Berry trained with the 1st team.

Demaw

U18s beat Norwich 2-1 in a friendly today. Oyedele and Berry trained with the 1st team.
Het mate, what do you think of Max and Berry? Any chance? IS there a name or two in the 14's/15's you think will really kick on? I know you have seen more games than all of us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The keeper Tarik Karic is reported to be on trial at the club from a team in Bosnia. He recently turned 17 and already stands at 6'4 in height. And from the little I've seen from him, he looks to be a dominant type of keeper with good ability on the ball.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We've come from behind twice to take the lead against Wolves. Goals from Hugill, Shoretire and Jurado.