Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

Real_Knut

Good to see we have our eyes on this kid. He looks very promising (though there's probably no reason to actualy try to buy him right now - he needs more time in the Norwegian top division first. He has only started the last two games.

He looks extremely mature with very good understanding of the game. Excellent vision and ability to move where he should. He is probably a no.6 (though I'm open to correction on this), but has played as a striker recently.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Good to see we have our eyes on this kid. He looks very promising (though there's probably no reason to actualy try to buy him right now - he needs more time in the Norwegian top division first. He has only started the last two games.

He looks extremely mature with very good understanding of the game. Excellent vision and ability to move where he should. He is probably a no.6 (though I'm open to correction on this), but has played as a striker recently.
If I’m not mistaken we can’t sign players under 18 from abroad post-brexit.

We’ve signed plenty of young players before they’ve played first team football so I’m not sure why he’d need to play more in Norway before signing for us.

Never seen him play so can’t comment on the other stuff.

Real_Knut

If I’m not mistaken we can’t sign players under 18 from abroad post-brexit.

We’ve signed plenty of young players before they’ve played first team football so I’m not sure why he’d need to play more in Norway before signing for us.

Never seen him play so can’t comment on the other stuff.
My thinking was it would be good for him to play more adult football before transfering somewhere out of the country. I don't know him at all, but most 16 year-olds are not ready to move abroad IMO. Ødegaard left at 16 and his development stalled for a few years. Aarøen is at United presently but could have been playing against adults in Norway right now to get experience and toughening up for the men's game.

Don't know about Brexit and this signing. Guess it depends whether or not there are bilateral agreements between Norway and The UK on these things.

top1whoisman

Scout
My thinking was it would be good for him to play more adult football before transfering somewhere out of the country. I don't know him at all, but most 16 year-olds are not ready to move abroad IMO. Ødegaard left at 16 and his development stalled for a few years. Aarøen is at United presently but could have been playing against adults in Norway right now to get experience and toughening up for the men's game.

Don't know about Brexit and this signing. Guess it depends whether or not there are bilateral agreements between Norway and The UK on these things.
While the bolded applies for some, there are plenty of examples where it’s worked out well. For example Garnacho, Eriksen & Elanga from our current squad moved abroad when they were 16-17.

Messi was 13 when he moved to Barcelona.

With Ødegaard the problem wasn’t moving abroad but choosing Real. And in the end, it hasn’t turned out bad for him either

Every player and person is an individual, and while some players are better off staying close to home, some are more suited to moving abroad early.

Most 16-17 year old talents get very limited amount of first team action in their home country anyway, so it’s basically the Rosenborg academy vs United academy in this case.

Real_Knut

While the bolded applies for some, there are plenty of examples where it’s worked out well. For example Garnacho, Eriksen & Elanga from our current squad moved abroad when they were 16-17.

Messi was 13 when he moved to Barcelona.

With Ødegaard the problem wasn’t moving abroad but choosing Real. And in the end, it hasn’t turned out bad for him either

Every player and person is an individual, and while some players are better off staying close to home, some are more suited to moving abroad early.

Most 16-17 year old talents get very limited amount of first team action in their home country anyway, so it’s basically the Rosenborg academy vs United academy in this case.
Moving abroad early could definitely work for some and I agree that Ødegaard's problem was moving to Real. I am not going to pretend I know anything about Nypan, so I have no real basis for saying that he is not mature enough or ready for it, I just prefer that players are older before they move in general.

The Norwegian league is a low enough level that 16-17 year olds who are a few steps ahead can play there. I would prefer that to young players playing in the United U-18s. Nypan has started the last two games for Rosenborg, has one goal, one assist for a team that is not playing very well. He will likely get to start quite a few games in the next six months, which I think would elevate him in a way that I do not think acadamy football is more likely to.

top1whoisman

Scout
Moving abroad early could definitely work for some and I agree that Ødegaard's problem was moving to Real. I am not going to pretend I know anything about Nypan, so I have no real basis for saying that he is not mature enough or ready for it, I just prefer that players are older before they move in general.

The Norwegian league is a low enough level that 16-17 year olds who are a few steps ahead can play there. I would prefer that to young players playing in the United U-18s. Nypan has started the last two games for Rosenborg, has one goal, one assist for a team that is not playing very well. He will likely get to start quite a few games in the next six months, which I think would elevate him in a way that I do not think acadamy football is more likely to.
What do you base that view on though? How many 16-17 olds get regular minutes in the top tier in Norway?

That depends a lot on the individual player in question. Some may struggle too much physically playing against grown men and would develop more playing against the best U18 or U21 players in England.

top1whoisman

Scout
An interesting summary on our website:

Our Under-21s side had an average age of 19.1 years old, which was the second youngest in Premier League 2 throughout the 2022/23 season.

Under-18 players clocked up a total of 7,274 minutes on the pitch in competitive Under-21 games across the campaign, with five first-year scholars and three Under-16s making the step up to play in the higher age group.

Meanwhile, Under-15 and Under-16 players registered a tally of 7,908 minutes in competitive Under-18 games. Four Under-16 players gained a total of 1,000 competitive minutes for the Under-18s.

Thirty-two players from the Professional Development Phase have trained with the first team over the course of the season, amassing 571 training sessions between them.

Borninthe80ts

An interesting summary on our website:

Just from the games that I’ve seen and the overall flow of the season it feels the younger guys have had an opportunity due to the large amount of injuries we have had to key plates for large parts of the season. However I’m wondering was this also an intentional move by the club?

I know Ten Hag and the dutch way is to play youngsters up age grades to accelerate development and maybe it’s the same here. I know as a club it’s in the lineage also but it would be nice to know we are adding to the strategy and aiding their progress.

top1whoisman

Scout
Just from the games that I’ve seen and the overall flow of the season it feels the younger guys have had an opportunity due to the large amount of injuries we have had to key plates for large parts of the season. However I’m wondering was this also an intentional move by the club?

I know Ten Hag and the dutch way is to play youngsters up age grades to accelerate development and maybe it’s the same here. I know as a club it’s in the lineage also but it would be nice to know we are adding to the strategy and aiding their progress.
Unfortunately the same thing with injuries happen more or less every year. To an extent it’s pretty natural as the boys are going through growth spurts etc. which often results in injuries.

I wouldn’t say that the way we’ve promoted and played players above age groups is nothing out of the ordinary.

Borninthe80ts

Unfortunately the same thing with injuries happen more or less every year. To an extent it’s pretty natural as the boys are going through growth spurts etc. which often results in injuries.

I wouldn’t say that the way we’ve promoted and played players above age groups is nothing out of the ordinary.

Yeah it seems like we’ve had injury issues throughout the club for a number of years so it’s clearly a wider issue.
My main point was it feels like we’ve seen more under 16 more regularly and consistently for example than we would normally have compared to the one or two playing up per club culture.

I’m not a stat guy so it’s purely assumptions and curiosity, but yeah as I said hopefully it all aids in development.

Beaucoup

U19s Beat Rangers 2-0 in a closed doors friendly this afternoon, Berry and Forson with the goals.

top1whoisman

Scout
The U14s are 2-3 down against Chelsea in the Premier League Albert Phelan Cup final. Second half of extra time just started.

top1whoisman

Scout
2-5 FT.

Disappointing the way we’ve lost it but getting to the final twice in a row and coming close to winning it twice in a row is a great achievement.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ornstein says we are interested in Nwaneri along with City and Chelsea. Arsenal also had fresh talks with him.

Gungerz

2-5 FT.

Disappointing the way we’ve lost it but getting to the final twice in a row and coming close to winning it twice in a row is a great achievement.
Comment I saw from someone who watched the game.

Was at the game as a neutral. Man Utd def better for 60 minutes. They made sure every player experienced the day as part of development, but unfortunately the team weakened. Extra time only going to be one winner. We'll done Chelsea and some great goals.
Good to hear that development & the kids' overall enjoyment and experience is being prioritized at this level. Obviously winning would've been nice but that's not the be-all and end-all .

top1whoisman

Scout
It’s all good and fine to win academy trophies but it’s all in vain if it doesn’t lead to anything.

Borninthe80ts

Is this the change that people have been asking for? Admittedly I’m not knowledgeable on youth coaches so I’m curious as to who will take over the under 18’s

top1whoisman

Scout
Finley McAllister gets his first start in the U17s Euros as England play Switzerland in a match that decides the group winner.

Gungerz

Champions League qualification of course also means we'll be in the UEFA Youth League next season, which is great news.

Bigsid

It’s all good and fine to win academy trophies but it’s all in vain if it doesn’t lead to anything.

Difficult to blood young players given level there. We are 7th in table behind Brighton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace, Forest and Leicester. Not sure theres much in 18s and 21s to increase these stats but always interesting to see.

top1whoisman

Scout
Difficult to blood young players given level there. We are 7th in table behind Brighton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace, Forest and Leicester. Not sure theres much in 18s and 21s to increase these stats but always interesting to see.
Nah you’re 15th. Doesn’t really matter as you win (first team) trophies anyway due to the unlimited spending but for me this puts all those academy trophies in perspective.

Bigsid

Net spend over last 5 years an interesting point across the League (in millions)

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Aston Villa
Wolves
Liverpool
Fulham
Nottingham Forest
Leeds
Southampton
Everton
Crystal Palace
Man City
Leicester
Bournemouth
Brighton
Brentford
-

top1whoisman

Scout
Net spend over last 5 years an interesting point across the League (in millions)

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Aston Villa
Wolves
Liverpool
Fulham
Nottingham Forest
Leeds
Southampton
Everton
Crystal Palace
Man City
Leicester
Bournemouth
Brighton
Brentford
-
Nothing to do with the thread in question. However I do applaud you, your consistency in defending your club is admirable.

Last edited:

KM

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Aston Villa
Wolves
Liverpool
Fulham
Nottingham Forest
Leeds
Southampton
Everton
Crystal Palace
Man City
Leicester
Bournemouth
Brighton
Brentford
-
Stop embarrassing yourself.

cyberman

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Tottenham
West Ham
Newcastle
Aston Villa
Wolves
Liverpool
Fulham
Nottingham Forest
Leeds
Southampton
Everton
Crystal Palace
Man City
Leicester
Bournemouth
Brighton
Brentford
-
Now do charged with breaking financial fair play rules over a nine-year period for each club please

top1whoisman

Scout
0-0 in the second game against Maccabi Petah Tikva from Israel.

Last match of the day is against host team Den Bosch.

KM

Apparently the u19 are playing some tournaments too. Won both of the matches.

Gungerz

Wooster, Ogunneye, Oyedele, Collyer, Aljofree, Berry, Jurado, Murray, Missin & Wheatley are among those at the tournament.

Missin & Jurado (pen) scored in the opening game against FC Uitgeest.

Last edited: