Television Misfits

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So I started watching this recently. Nathan is good. Great accent as well. I'm fascinated with English accents sometimes. What's the deal with Kelly's accent? Is it a normal one?

Can someone also please explain properly what a chav is? I thought I knew what it was but Kelly gets called that and I've never heard a girl been called that before.

Mick1991

Nathan has an Irish accent, but it's a soft one (nice one). Can't speak for Kelly, but judging from what seems to be popular with English comedians (Little Britain and Catherine Tate, neither of which I would recommend) to take the piss out of....it would seem to be normalish depending on where you live.

A chav is pretty difficult to explain, it can transcend class. There is a look associated with being a chav, but I'd personally recognise bevaviour as a more important factor in determining a chav, they tend to have little regard for others well-being.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
So I started watching this recently. Nathan is good. Great accent as well. I'm fascinated with English accents sometimes.
He's Irish

What's the deal with Kelly's accent? Is it a normal one?
It's a certain type of working class Northern. I'd put it around Leeds.

Can someone also please explain properly what a chav is? I thought I knew what it was but Kelly gets called that and I've never heard a girl been called that before.
It's a coloquial term for (supposedly) council housed kids of a particular type (It's recently been described as Council Housed And Violent, but it's not strictly to do with that in truth.) It comes partly from the romani gyspy word for child but has basically become a by word for aggressive loud mouthed and mainly working class youths who dress in sports wear/tracksuits.

Laphroaig

A chav is pretty difficult to explain, it can transcend class. There is a look associated with being a chav, but I'd personally recognise bevaviour as a more important factor in determining a chav, they tend to have little regard for others well-being.
Are you serious?
It's a certain type of working class Northern. I'd put it around Leeds.
This surprised me, as I thought she (the actress) is from Essex. However, turns out she's from Derby. That's the actress of course, but she's spoken the same as the character in interviews, hasn't she? (I'm not English so I'm not that great with English dialects.)

Mick1991

Yes, very much so. Mockney's more right than me in saying that it is associated with one social group (lower/working class), but I know plenty of people that rock the look and attitude who are far better off than me. Plenty of chavs in the middle classes and beyond.

Yes to the second one too. They generally don't give a fiddle.

Mockney

It was certainly originally a derogatory class label. I think it probably branched out. I know a fair few people who are "chavvy" but lower middle, if not middle middle. I wore classics and a gold chain and listened to Garage when I was 14. All very chavvy behaviour. I was a complete dick admittedly.

Mockney

Nike string bags..That was another one. I had a baby blue one. And green classics. I thought I was the shit.

Laphroaig

Right, I don't think the science of chavness has come far yet, so the definitions will vary I suppose. I've tended to relate it to a certain look (in which case "they have little regard for others well-being" would be quite offensive), but I won't claim that my definition is the right one.

Mick1991

I used to wear a pair of windrunners, and pretend they were air max. They had a funky blue and yellow sole. loved those runners at the time.

Mockney

It depends. I'd say aggressive behaviour is what a lot of people would associate with it. But then it's a derogatory term, so it's not exactly something which should be taken as having "correct" boundaries. It's not anything anyone's proud to be (apart from in a reactionary, defensive way perhaps) It's an insult. A lot of people have argued it's a class slur. It's certainly a stereotype. It's not like mods or skinheads, where the lower class youth have formed their own identity. It's very much a term used to insult them in the main.

Mick1991

Right, I don't think the science of chavness has come far yet, so the definitions will vary I suppose. I've tended to relate it to a certain look (in which case "they have little regard for others well-being" would be quite offensive), but I won't claim that my definition is the right one.
It's a strange one alright. I think I look more towards the behaviour because where I come from that specific type of look is very popular, you are going to know good people who you'd chat with, and consider a mate or whatever, that have that chav look. They're good people, who don't act the dick, but it's a popular look (although, most seem to have grown out of it).

It's weird how the definitions can vary on it.

Laphroaig

It's a strange one alright. I think I look more towards the behaviour because where I come from that specific type of look is very popular, you are going to know good people who you'd chat with, and consider a mate or whatever, that have that chav look. They're good people, who don't act the dick, but it's a popular look (although, most seem to have grown out of it).

It's weird how the definitions can vary on it.
Ah. I lived in UK for a while, but I suppose I came from the outside, so when I've seen kids in tracksuits with bullteriers (or whatever those dogs are called), I've though "chavs". So I've associated it with the look, and not thought of it as primarily derogatory. I suppose I thought that "chav" was meant to denominate a certain group, and that some others use it negatively due to prejudices against said group. I realize I'm wrong though!

Mockney

Are you serious?This surprised me, as I thought she (the actress) is from Essex. However, turns out she's from Derby. That's the actress of course, but she's spoken the same as the character in interviews, hasn't she? (I'm not English so I'm not that great with English dialects.)
It's very distinctively northern to an English person. Though my Notts & Leeds mates would be pissed at me for confusing the Yorkshire & East Mids accents, cos they're quite a bit apart. (but feck it, I'm a Southerner, you all sound the same to me!)

An Essex accent is what Billie Piper's mum sounded like in Dr Who. (that's bizarrely the first thing I could think of to describe it to a foreigner! - Piper herself was slightly too posh to pull it off...and from Swindon)...It's little different to a proper cockney accent. But a bit shitter.

Laphroaig

It's very distinctively northern to an English person. Though my Notts & Leeds mates would be pissed at me for confusing the Yorkshire & East Mids accents, cos they're quite a bit apart.

An Essex accent is what Billie Piper's mum sounded like in Dr Who. (that's bizarrely the first thing I could think of to describe it to a foreigner! - Piper herself was slightly too posh to pull it off...and from Swindon)...It's little different to a proper cockney accent. But a bit shitter.
Cheers. But one gripe: Derby is in middle of England, how can it be "distinctively" northern? It's the same thing in Norway, everyone from Oslo (very, very far south) thinks that anything north of Oslo (basically... Norway!) is north.

Mockney

Essentially yes. Plech would be better than me at this. But, basically, everyone below Birmingham share certain recognisably southern traits, and everyone above Birmingham share certain recognisably northern traits. People from Birmingham sound hilarious to both of us.

It works both ways though. A lot of the northern (and Irish) posters on here seem to think I sound posh. Largely because to them everyone in the south of England either sounds like Ray Winstone, Dizzy Rascal or the Queen.

Snow

I knew his accent was Irish but when I said English accent I meant it as having an accent whilst speaking the English language. That Irish accent is great. I'd want to speak like that if I got to choose one.

I wasn't sure about the chav thing being class specific. I thought it was a worker class attitude portrayed by middle class teens but thanks for clearing that up.

So, do you guys consider that accent ugly or weird or is everything normal to you no matter how it sounds. Is there no accent that will always just surprise you a little bit? For, of those accents that I can locate geographically, it's the Geordie one. I always find that one weird. And also how Dizzie Rascal speaks. Is that just an African thing or?

Levo

Band of Brothers
Kelly's from Mickleover in Derby, believe me she doesn't put that accent on....I've met her.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Rudy is an adequate replacement. He's no Nathan, but he's not bad at all.

Snow

Watched the first episode and he was alright. But then read that Kelly ain't returning for the 4th season. Disappointing. She's the 2nd best one.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
He gets better - I thought he was visibly nervous in the first episode. Does a bit of a De Gea and steadily grows into the season, looking class by the end of it.

Art

Art the artist
Just started watching the show. The 2nd episode and that chick's titties.

'Nuff said.

10/10.

Cina

The first season is some of the best TV thrown out of Britain in a long time, unfortunately while the second season is good, it's not as good because it's a big all over the place, and the third season dips again, but it's still watchable.

But given the ending of the third season I can only imagine the fourth being a bit shit.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yes its back. Sundays on Channel 4. OK'ish start, building into new characters now.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
No gobby ugly girl, no fit black girl, no nerdy superhero guy. Hardly any of the original cast left. We can't rely on the guy who has an evil twin to carry the whole show. I'm unsure about the future of the Misfits.

twitter thread suggester
I am back at being annoyed by the twin-fella.

Also, where have I seen the new guy before?

Cina

Is it just Rudy and Curtis left then?

Don't think I'll bother.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
First episode was rubbish.

Sw33t

Can't believe Curtis is dead :( wasn't expecting that!

I liked him! But with the new girl in it now, there's still two people i like, her and Ruddy, so all is not lost.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I like the dynamic between Rudy and the scouse bloke.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I've been avoiding this thread because I haven't caught up with the episodes. I didn't allow for email alerts. :(

Levo

Band of Brothers
Just caught up with last night's episode. Rudy had me in stitches more then once, he's hilarious :lol:

Best part of the episode though was the go between at the start between Finn and who he thought his dad was :lol:

Did you have sex with my mum?

I think I have a son

Anal Mary, that was your mothers nickname

...Maybe I'm not your dad after all

:lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That beginning was hilarious. One of Misfits best comedy moments.