Missing Herrera

pascell

Right decision not succumbing to his contract demands. However, Herrera and McTominay would brought a good balance to our team and would've freed up Pogba to roam, instead he's playing as a deep midfielder.

Buying a CM and ST/RW is what we need in January to bring back some balance.

ManUtd1999

It was the right decision to get rid but not buying an upgrade was rather silly.

This team is missing Fellaini's presence way more.
Agreed. I miss Fellaini, and I think that releasing him in January was a mistake, particularly without a replacement.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Basically what many people said: we let three players (Herrera, Fellaini and Lukaku) that were doing plenty of minutes every season and didn't brought no replacements. What could go wrong?

Schneckerl

According to the fanbase Herrera is not the level we (6th place last year, 12th currently) need, but he's playing for PSG. Really odd.

Getting rid of Fellaini was also a huge mistake and he was the most disrespected player for years.

Josep Dowling

According to the fanbase Herrera is not the level we (6th place last year, 12th currently) need, but he's playing for PSG. Really odd.

Getting rid of Fellaini was also a huge mistake and he was the most disrespected player for years.
Getting rid of Fellaini was 100% the correct decision.

I think most fans wanted to keep Herrera but there were suggestions he was wanting more than £300k a week. Then you have to ask yourself if he is really worth the same value as the likes of Pogba's salary? I like Herrera but it's clear him and his agent got greedy, PSG could offer him silly wages and a signing up fee as they just got a £40m player for nothing. Simply put we couldn't compete to extend his contract. I see a lot more players doing this over the next few years when the likes of Ramsey is now earning £400k a week.

The major issue is that we did not replace them with anyone. Promoting McTominay is not replacing Herrera.

Schneckerl

Maybe it was at this point, but overall his contribution has been underappreciated during his time here.

Fans thought Fellaini was the worst player in the squad and completely useless. Yet somehow both LVG and Mourinho loved him.

I think most fans wanted to keep Herrera but there were suggestions he was wanting more than £300k a week. Then you have to ask yourself if he is really worth the same value as the likes of Pogba's salary? I like Herrera but it's clear him and his agent got greedy, PSG could offer him silly wages and a signing up fee as they just got a £40m player for nothing. Simply put we couldn't compete to extend his contract. I see a lot more players doing this over the next few years when the likes of Ramsey is now earning £400k a week.
Alright, that's a fair point. Althought we have a fecked up wage structure in general and many players look overpaid.

The major issue is that we did not replace them with anyone. Promoting McTominay is not replacing Herrera.
True. Same thing with Lukaku.

Last edited:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

Fellaini is not a top club player, that's granted. But still he was making tons of minutes every season and was an aggressive midfielder, despite his limitations. Not to say he would offer us a valuable asset on set pieces, either as a target or to physically disrupt the defenders.

We failed to provide cover for his exit, because with Fellaini leaving you had to get another midfielder with enough quality to play at least 1000', which didn't happen.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Letting him and Fellaini (who is 100x better than the shite we have) was a criminal offence.

I think it was 50/50 this and attack. Whoever thought we could go with a front 3 of Rashford Martial and an unproven James was nuts.
The vast majority of fans wanted Fellaini out. Whenever I saw him in the starting lineup I lost optimism. So we can’t blame Ole for shifting him.

However. 2 managers kept him and used him when needs be and he’d often change games for us as a sub. It says a lot that Ole got rid of him, possibly thinking like a fan or to get fans support, but then didn’t have any clue who to replace him with which is definitely the sign of someone who is out of his depth.

Ekeke

You all realise that Matic was paired with Herrera with Pogba ahead of them when the unbeaten streak was alive and well right?

You can only go so far and persist with a central midfield 2 when you have an attacking line that is midtable at best, currently performing as a relegation team.
Its that bad because Pogba isnt playing the same role. He's further back and we have Mata in the 10 role despite him performing extremely poorly in the role

Hughie77

He's not been replaced , Fred is awful, id get rid of him in Jan, for any amount, if we needed a CDM , surely Rice is what should be looking at. Herrera was treated bad I think, if any player we should have tried to keep was him. As usual fecked it up.

edcunited1878

Its that bad because Pogba isnt playing the same role. He's further back and we have Mata in the 10 role despite him performing extremely poorly in the role
My point is more about where Pogba is playing, like you said, more than we're missing player X (in this case Herrera).

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

There's a juge scam among english medias regarding the transfered player's salaries.

According to local medias in Italy and France (far more informed), Ramsey earns a gross salary of 150k€/week and Herrera is between 120 and 150k€/week.

Ekeke

My point is more about where Pogba is playing, like you said, more than we're missing player X (in this case Herrera).
Its because we dont have those players that he's playing a different role though. When they were here, he played a more effective role so theres no reason to think that wouldnt have continued

LoneStar

The vast majority of fans wanted Fellaini out. Whenever I saw him in the starting lineup I lost optimism. So we can’t blame Ole for shifting him.

However. 2 managers kept him and used him when needs be and he’d often change games for us as a sub. It says a lot that Ole got rid of him, possibly thinking like a fan or to get fans support, but then didn’t have any clue who to replace him with which is definitely the sign of someone who is out of his depth.
Yup. Fair enough that he sold him if he didn't feel like using him. But he should have been replaced accordingly then.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not good enough but best among bad apples.
He was more than good enough for a top four club.

Letting him go was bananas. He was probably the only Jose/LvG signing that actually played consistently well across his entire time here, didn't kick up a fuss, and looked like he gave a shite about the club. Pure madness.

billybee99

Jesus, people talk about these 2 guys like they were fecking Keane and Scholes. With the great Fellaini, we finished 7th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd and 6th. During the amazing Herrera years, we finished 4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd and 6th. These guys were part of the problem and part of the rot and showed just how far our standards had fallen. Fellaini wouldn't have got near the squad of SAF's great teams and Herrera would have been a bench player at best. And before some wise ass tells me that SAF rated both, I'll say that the proof is in the pudding and he signed neither. People whine about the Sanchez contract but then want us to pay Ander Herrera 300 quid per weekend? What do you think Pogba was going to say when he saw Herrera on 300 per week?

edcunited1878

Its because we dont have those players that he's playing a different role though. When they were here, he played a more effective role so theres no reason to think that wouldnt have continued
So you're saying that Ole and staff do not believe Matic and McTominay can be the double pivot with Pogba as the 10 or play Matic as a 6 with McTominay the right sided 8 in the right channel with Pogba as the more advanced 8/10 in the left channel? I find that hard to believe that McTominay can't do a similar role to Herrera in that being defensively responsible, winning the ball back and supporting the attacking while providing energy and steel in the midfield.

Ole and staff must try this out and exhaust their options. Sanchez could have done a job as a CF and he showed it in a small sample size the past two seasons at United...yet they bin him off, which I think had more to do with his wages relative to his playing time, but they binned him off nonetheless and are still paying part of his wages.

Sir Scott McToMinay

:lol: In what world is Mctominay better than Herrera?
Better built physically, capable of making a forward pass , and actually has the ability to strike the ball.
Out of all the available good Spanish midfielders we’ve got one of the average ones.

Not a bad player, but I honestly don’t see what was so great about him besides the “he got the club” bollocks and his engine.

If we matched his PSG offer there was no way to sort out our already horrific wage structure, but we’re slowly getting there.

I wish him well in PSG, but in that farmer’s league, even Glen Whelan would do a job in midfield when he has Cavani, Neymar, Mbappe and Di Maria as attackers.

A poor man’s Mikel Arteta.

Johan07

This is pretty much it. PSG gave him a 5-year contract on those wages as well. Could and should not happen at United at the state we are in right now. That money needs to go elsewhere even if I would have loved Ander here for maybe two years more; but a 5-year contract at his age is just silly. And at that wage?
That said: as you said we are going to see more and more players seeing out their contracts with the discrepancy between transfer value and wages aligning; the Ramsey thing will keep happening.

thomas porter

Its absolutely criminal that we didn't replace him and Lukaku. In attack and midfield we have a weaker squad than we did last season in which we finished 6th! What are the Glazers and Woodward thinking...its beyond me.

Njord

Ii believe our biggest mistake was not buying a ST or RW. We have nothing going on in those departments at United at the moment
Yes, of course. I was thinking about or midfield. But even if we had a proper RW (since we now have 0), and another striker, I still think we would be short of creativity from midfield. Imagine someone like Dybala in front of Pogba and McT, or someone like Pjanic behind them, to release Pogba to go further forward.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Better built physically, capable of making a forward pass , and actually has the ability to strike the ball.
Out of all the available good Spanish midfielders we’ve got one of the average ones.

Not a bad player, but I honestly don’t see what was so great about him besides the “he got the club” bollocks and his engine.

If we matched his PSG offer there was no way to sort out our already horrific wage structure, but we’re slowly getting there.

A poor man’s Mikel Arteta.
You've got to blind and dumb at this point to not see what Herrera brought to the club. The bloke won the ball back for fun. He injected pace into the side. Had an immaculate touch, and as much as you want to belittle his passing abilities, you'll see more throughballs and dangerous passes then you'll see from Mctominay right now. And yeah, he did 'get the club,' which is why he'd still be running around like a lunatic in the 90th minute when the rest of the team had given up. He happened to also be the last natural leader we had on the pitch.

Your comparison to Arteta just goes to show how off you are about what type of player he was for us. His defensive contribution was far and away the and most important aspect of his game, but people still insist on judging him on his playmaking abilities.

ivaldo

Except you won't and pretty much everyone will unanimously agree. Let's cut the hyperbole.
That we miss him? Think you better take a look through the thread.

klayton88

I said we'd miss him and I was right. Seems to be an agenda against him by some but the stats didn't lie. About the only player post SAF who I believe gave his all every game. Whether he is world class in some peoples eyes or not, I'd take a 'half decent' player who gives his all and would bleed for the badge over any of the current tripe.

Shark

@NotShark
Ole has already made countless daft decisions such as this one, and he's only been in the job 9 months or so. Yes, Woodward is a clueless moron, but that doesn't mean Ole is blameless.

Johan07

You've got to blind and dumb at this point to not see what Herrera brought to the club. The bloke won the ball back for fun. He injected pace into the side. Had an immaculate touch, and as much as you want to belittle his passing abilities, you'll see more throughballs and dangerous passes then you'll see from Mctominay right now. And yeah, he did 'get the club,' which is why he'd still be running around like a lunatic in the 90th minute when the rest of the team had given up. He happened to also be the last natural leader we had on the pitch.

Your comparison to Arteta just goes to show how off you are about what type of player he was for us. His defensive contribution was far and away the and most important aspect of his game, but people still insist on judging him on his playmaking abilities.
So you think that the club should have given him a 5-year contract at 30 years of age? At that wage that PSG gave him?
I wanted him to stay too, but to be fair it was never realistic because of what he was looking for and fair play to him: also got.

Djorkaef

@ "Fellaini and Herrara would never be in SAF team so they are below the standard and their dismissal is perfectly justified".
If that is your benchmark then please dismiss the entire current team.

ivaldo

So you think that the club should have given him a 5-year contract at 30 years of age? At that wage that PSG gave him?
I wanted him to stay too, but to be fair it was never realistic because of what he was looking for and fair play to him: also got.
I think the club shouldn’t have originally offered him a pay cut. I think the club should’ve actually offered him a contract when the likes of Jones and Smalling were getting their second renewal since his arrival. I think the club should’ve been more personable than to inform him of his optional 1 year contract extension by post, or to repeatedly try to replace the bloke only to rely on him towards the end of the season.

L1nk

People are in this thread genuinely claiming, after a few decent matches, that Scott McTominay is not only better than Herrera, but that he's also better than Darren Fletcher.. yet no doubt these same people are wondering how we've ended up with such a shower on the field of appalling players not good enough to be playing for this club, it makes you think.

Just fyi, whilst McTominay aint half bad, he's not United first team quality, well i guess he is right now because we are piss poor.

PyroMan

Baffling was letting him go and not replacing him. There are plenty of good midfielders in the market and we should have signed someone to replace him.

We could have offered a contract to someone like Rabiot or Ramsey. Gueye looks a good buy for PSG.

Johan07

I think the club shouldn’t have originally offered him a pay cut. I think the club should’ve actually offered him a contract when the likes of Jones and Smalling were getting their second renewal since his arrival. I think the club should’ve been more personable than to inform him of his optional 1 year contract extension by post, or to repeatedly try to replace the bloke only to rely on him towards the end of the season.
He was on 70k a month. No way he was offered a pay cut. Completely illogical.
I think this narrative is blatantly not true and that journalists are comparing the total value of the probably two year extension contract that we offered to the five year contract that PSG offered.