Missing Persons and Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surely he’s killed himself now. Seems rare these days people actually go on the run.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
They’ve found a body “consistent with that of Gabby Petito”.
FBI agents searching in Grand Teton national park in Wyoming on Sunday discovered “human remains consistent with the description” of Gabby Petito, a 22-year-old woman who went missing during a cross-country “van life” trip with her fiance, Brian Laundrie.

Petito’s last known contact with family members was from the Wyoming park.

In a brief public statement on Sunday evening, Charles Jones, an FBI agent based in Denver, announced the discovery and said: “I would like to extend sincere sincere and heartfelt condolences to Gabby’s family.
gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-van-life-missing-woman-florida-nature-reserve

Withnail

Surely he’s killed himself now. Seems rare these days people actually go on the run.
Maybe he has but apparently he's experienced at living in the wild and according to reports could survive out there for months.

The whole thing is so bizarre. I know the were both suffering from mental health issues but to drive off without her, not report her missing and not talk to anyone at all is not a good look for someone hoping to convince people of their innocence.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Maybe he has but apparently he's experienced at living in the wild and according to reports could survive out there for months.

The whole thing is so bizarre. I know the were both suffering from mental health issues but to drive off without her, not report her missing and not talk to anyone at all is not a good look for someone hoping to convince people of their innocence.
So the most likely scenario is that they had a massive argument and he just drove off without her in anger and she had no chance surviving on her own and now he’s feeling horribly guilty and facing manslaughter charges and either killed himself or disappeared into the wilderness?

hobbers

They had a fight and he accidentally killed her and fled. Or she took herself off and committed suicide. Or they had a fight, he drove off and left her and she died of exposure.

You'd think with them finding an intact body that fitted her description it should be pretty easy for the coroner to figure out which one it is.

Sara125

Apparently the human remains they found are yet to be confirmed as her.

OAN, r/UnresolvedMysteries is a great subreddit for this kind of thing. Usually have good, detailed write ups for individual cases.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They had a fight and he accidentally killed her and fled. Or she took herself off and committed suicide. Or they had a fight, he drove off and left her and she died of exposure.

You'd think with them finding an intact body that fitted her description it should be pretty easy for the coroner to figure out which one it is.
Out of curiosity, why did you add the “accidentally”?

hobbers

Out of curiosity, why did you add the “accidentally”?
I doubt you go touring around the country with someone while running a youtube travel diary if you planned on murdering them. And if it was more an intentional but in-the-moment thing I doubt you'd then flee the scene without doing anything with the body. The police bodycam footage made them both look unstable and showed she was prone to violence towards him.

So it's most likely direct manslaughter, or indirect manslaughter if he abandoned her, or something self inflicted. But with him going missing I guess the public won't be getting much more insight if they have no one to charge.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So the most likely scenario is that they had a massive argument and he just drove off without her in anger and she had no chance surviving on her own and now he’s feeling horribly guilty and facing manslaughter charges and either killed himself or disappeared into the wilderness?
I think we’re past that being probable. A couple picked him up hitchhiking alone and with a backpack that was not packed full for camping. He said he had been in the forest for a few days, but he was perfectly clean. Then when he realized he was going the wrong direction he panicked and made them pull over so he could get out. That was between the time she was last heard from and him being back in Florida.

Then the last message from her phone to her mom was ‘no reception in Yosemite’, but they were in Yellowstone. So I’m thinking he was giving her family an excuse for her to be out of touch, but his head wasn’t right and he picked the wrong national park just because it starts with Y. Yosemite is like 1,300 km away.

Stactix

Saw someone mention his parents said he went on a hike prior to going missing.

Only for his parents to pick up his mustang and not let police know for 3 days...

Complict imo

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Saw someone mention his parents said he went on a hike prior to going missing.

Only for his parents to pick up his mustang and not let police know for 3 days...

Complict imo
I presume they'll monitor all means of communications and bank/credit card accounts if they deem him a prime suspect. Imagine being a parent and helping your child escape repercussion for a capital crime.

Also, which state charges the murderer in a scenario such as this: Where it occurred or extradite to the home state of the murderer? I'm pretty dang sure De Santis will want this man's head if he's charged for murder, if nothing more than purely political points.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
I have no idea why the police just got an warrant from a judge and went to the guys house to check everything so they could take with them all the electronics used. Does the family have ties with the sheriff? That's obvious when he refused to talk he did something to her, if he left her in yellowstone with so many grizzly bears and pumas that was a dead sentence. Anyway he's probably going to commit suicide because Wyoming has death sentence.

SirAF

Ageist
Proper link for those not wanting to give NY Post any clicks.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I really hope they catch this weasel soon. Try out some shock therapy with him on an electric chair, see if it improves his hairline at all.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Figure this Laundrie fella is slowly dying of dehydration, starvation, illness, lack of whatever deficiency, etc. or may be bear or alligator food by now. Trained operators would probably struggle in this Florida wilderness Laundrie is said to be surviving in. But don't worry folks, Dog the Bounty Hunter is on the gig now, probably just to enhance his own public persona.

Or Laundrie is off in some other state or country by now, with his parents throwing the officials of his trail, like that Jesse James Hollywood of Alpha Dog fame. He certainly attempted to cover his tracks as both cellphones (his and hers) are nowhere to be found, likely destroyed and dumped, and he purchased a paid phone on the way back to Florida.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/10/us/could-brian-laundrie-be-alive-survival-experts/index.html

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Figure this Laundrie fella is slowly dying of dehydration, starvation, illness, lack of whatever deficiency, etc. or may be bear or alligator food by now. Trained operators would probably struggle in this Florida wilderness Laundrie is said to be surviving in. But don't worry folks, Dog the Bounty Hunter is on the gig now, probably just to enhance his own public persona.

Or Laundrie is off in some other state or country by now, with his parents throwing the officials of his trail, like that Jesse James Hollywood of Alpha Dog fame. He certainly attempted to cover his tracks as both cellphones (his and hers) are nowhere to be found, likely destroyed and dumped, and he purchased a paid phone on the way back to Florida.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/10/us/could-brian-laundrie-be-alive-survival-experts/index.html
Wasn't he reportedly sighted at Carolina's?

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
I doubt they'll find any trace of him now. Either he topped himself and was eaten by something or something killed and ate him.

I had a friend who disappeared in the Mt Hood national forest in Oregon a few years back. They found his car months later but zero trace of the body anywhere.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, he doesn’t seem of the same mettle as Eric Rudolph, don’t see him getting arrested in five years dumpster diving after surviving in the wilderness.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
He's a coward, he doesn't have the guts to kill himself. I'm pretty sure his family is helping him stay on the run. He was spotted in the Bahamas. He could have easily gotten there by boat from Florida. They'll find him.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I've been watching some videos on YouTube recently about various cases like this. This is an example of one of them:

It seems like there's someone else involved somehow who has probably killed them.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
He's a coward, he doesn't have the guts to kill himself. I'm pretty sure his family is helping him stay on the run. He was spotted in the Bahamas. He could have easily gotten there by boat from Florida. They'll find him.
Must have been his ghost