Missing Persons and Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Following a story about a missing Florida woman got me thinking about many other missing persons cases and unsolved crimes and mysteries (insert obligatory Robert Stack photo). Apologies if a prior thread exists or existed in the past.

Here's a story garnering national attention today.

https://abc7ny.com/gabrielle-petito...JIhqJuKKWKBuGI_ND_TVQ7ULtMoTPJLE3YJqCD-h93Mmo
Boyfriend of missing Long Island native issues statement through lawyer

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/gabby...YMU2tC4woC5y4NNsgr4ec09_CwJmYdt70yhol41tVk_7c
Gabby Petito Allegedly Involved In Domestic Violence Dispute With Boyfriend Before She Disappeared

https://abc7ny.com/missing-woman-gabby-petito-brian-laundrie-person/11024471/
Police release body cam video of intereaction with Petito, Laundrie

https://abc7ny.com/gabby-petito-gabrielle-brian-laundrie-nichole-schmidt/11023104/
PD: Gabby Petito's boyfriend a person of interest, hindering search

https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-gab...njOSvl2KmYUQa1MvOuzzM7OfqB8hfHx7lKz5RAN0VOZJg
Utah investigators 'not ruling anything out' in double homicide near missing Gabby Petito incident

diarm

Can a lawyer inform police that they cannot speak to his client?

It seems a crazy coincidence that one of the couple murdered (on or shortly after the 13th) worked in the same shop these two had the row in that the police were called to on the 12th. I know murder is more commong in the US than over here but Google says Moab only has 5000 people in it.

The whole thing has Fargo season 5 written all over it.

FireballXL5

Boyfriend did her in. Why would you lawyer up so quickly and not do all you could to help authorities find her?

diarm

If he has killed her, he's off to a strong start in terms of getting away with it. Cops can't trap him in any lies if he doesn't say anything at all, and he's left them with a bloody big and difficult search area in which to find a body.

SirAF

Ageist
Read about this earlier today. Suspicious as feck that the guy doesn’t want to talk.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he has killed her, he's off to a strong start in terms of getting away with it. Cops can't trap him in any lies if he doesn't say anything at all, and he's left them with a bloody big and difficult search area in which to find a body.
Yep. Saying absolutely feck all is the best approach as long as he can outlast the inevitable public backlash and scrutiny. Because it definitely doesn't make him Mr. Popular.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I followed a link to his Insta earlier today, people were posting comments along the lines of "You did it, where is she" etc.

If he is the reason she's missing, there's surely no way the police could prove anything - even if they find her remains. The double murder of the newly-weds (one of whom saw them arguing) is very strange.

If he's innocent of causing her any harm, why isn't he doing everything he can to help the police?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I assumed that, but from the way it's being reported, it seems they haven't even done that.
Well, it’s sort of the same thing in the end. They did talk to him but he just told them to speak to his lawyer as he has nothing further to say.

In other news, the FBI is involved; it won’t be the Keystone cops working this one.

Last edited:

diarm

Well, it’s sort of the same thing in the end. They did talk to him but he just told them to speak to his lawyer as he has nothing further to say.

The FBI is involved; it won’t be the Keystone cops working this one.
Oh yeah, I'm not for a second suggesting there's some chubby, north Florida donut muncher in charge who just can't be arsed driving out to question him. I was only wondering if he is able to flat out refuse to be questioned by police. The way they reported that when police arrived to the door, they were handed a business card informing them to contact his lawyer.

I'm pretty sure if you tried that trick in Ireland you'd be told to shove your business card up your arse and to get the feck out here and talk to the guards.

mu4c_20le

I followed a link to his Insta earlier today, people were posting comments along the lines of "You did it, where is she" etc.

If he is the reason she's missing, there's surely no way the police could prove anything - even if they find her remains. The double murder of the newly-weds (one of whom saw them arguing) is very strange.

If he's innocent of causing her any harm, why isn't he doing everything he can to help the police?
Apparently the police had been called for them during their roadtrip for a domestic dispute, and she complained to them about her mental health. So there is the trace of possibility that she ended herself or by accident, even if this looks bad for the bf.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Oh yeah, I'm not for a second suggesting there's some chubby, north Florida donut muncher in charge who just can't be arsed driving out to question him. I was only wondering if he is able to flat out refuse to be questioned by police. The way they reported that when police arrived to the door, they were handed a business card informing them to contact his lawyer.

I'm pretty sure if you tried that trick in Ireland you'd be told to shove your business card up your arse and to get the feck out here and talk to the guards.
Sorry, that FBI bit was unrelated; I should have put an ‘In other news…’ disclaimer. But, yeah, our 4th and 5th amendments give citizens a lot of leeway in this sort of thing as long as you’re smart enough to take advantage of them.

MrMarcello

A) She disappeared on him or took off and didn't return - but left her vehicle and no phone/contact with her family and he did not file a report..
B) He left her alone and stranded - but she would have contacted her family somehow...
C) They argued and he struck her/killed her - could answer why he returned alone and did not file a report...
D) This is staged - seems most farfetched but people will do stupid shit for fame, and younger persons do not fully plan and consider all aspects
E) other possibility I'm not considering

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
A) She disappeared on him or took off and didn't return - but left her vehicle and no phone/contact with her family and he did not file a report..
B) He left her alone and stranded - but she would have contacted her family somehow...
C) They argued and he struck her/killed her - could answer why he returned alone and did not file a report...
D) This is staged - seems most farfetched but people will do stupid shit for fame, and younger persons do not fully plan and consider all aspects
E) other possibility I'm not considering
So you believe she's just going to show unharmed and this was all just to be instafamous?

Brophs

The One and Only
So you believe she's just going to show unharmed and this was all just to be instafamous?
"Okay guys, if you're happy I wasn't found buried in a shallow grave, smash, smash, SMASH those likes and remember guys, this Thanksgiving, 10% off on my OnlyFans. Promo code Spanksgiving. Peace."

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I'm laying out possibilities. I think he whacked her, is that better for you?
I wasn't doubting you. People do crazy things. At this point that would be the best outcome but I have a feeling it's a lot more gruesome than that. There's the issue with other couple that was found murdered. Did they find any connection between the two?

mu4c_20le

"Okay guys, if you're happy I wasn't found buried in a shallow grave, smash, smash, SMASH those likes and remember guys, this Thanksgiving, 10% off on my OnlyFans. Promo code Spanksgiving. Peace."
It's not as far fetched as you'd think

Even though there are several scenarios that would potentially absolve Laundrie of foul play, Kuby said he’d still be cautious about letting him open his mouth. She could have accidentally fallen to her death and Laundrie feared he’d be blamed for it. Or perhaps Petito disappeared to create a social media frenzy that would enhance her blogger profile, and he was sworn to secrecy.
https://nypost.com/2021/09/17/gabby-petitos-boyfriend-brian-laundrie-why-he-isnt-talking/

MrMarcello

I wasn't doubting you. People do crazy things. At this point that would be the best outcome but I have a feeling it's a lot more gruesome than that. There's the issue with other couple that was found murdered. Did they find any connection between the two?
Only thing I've read is one of the women worked at a store where the DV call happened (or nearby), so it's possible this woman observed the couple arguing. I think this will turn up a separate incident but there could be a connection I suppose. Maybe they tried to help her (or him) and something terrible happened. The article mentions the women couple were freaked out by a creeper nearby. Possible homophobe or stalker or maybe a serial killer who lashed out.

I figure Gabby and Brian were at the stage of no return perhaps, constantly bickering and arguing and one off meds (I presume she takes them having mentioned to PD of her anxiety and mental health) may have been venturing into mania or whatever state of mind. Perhaps they fought, maybe got physical at some point and he attacked (or defended himself) and somehow killed her, intentionally or unintentionally. Just seems to fit his return, lawyer up, and silence. Gotta get his story straight or come out his state of shock, or who knows what. He certainly knows of her whereabouts, or last location of whereabouts if alive.

He also would know if something drastic happened to her that did not involve him that he'd likely be the prime suspect. But I also think in one's mind you'd be contacting law to help find her, staying nearby especially someone you loved, but I don't know this man's mindset.

MrMarcello

Balloon boy and Travis Walton alien abduction, probably more but that's two off the top of my head. It would be low on my list of likelihood in this case but must be considered a possibility in this day of age.

This link has links to various stories of false reports and faked disappearances.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-26840-4_5

Baneofthegame

Outside of the blog exposure theory I can’t see why you might return without your fiancé and then essentially refuse to cooperate, unless something had happened to her.

Pickle85

Outside of the blog exposure theory I can’t see why you might return without your fiancé and then essentially refuse to cooperate, unless something had happened to her.
Even if it was for blog exposure, if I'm him the minute the police take me in and start asking me questions I'm absolutely giving the game away. I hope it is the reason (though what kind of world do we live in where people will semi fake their own deaths for publicity?!) but fear the worst. The fiance not talking surely isn't a great sign.

Baneofthegame

Even if it was for blog exposure, if I'm him the minute the police take me in and start asking me questions I'm absolutely giving the game away. I hope it is the reason (though what kind of world do we live in where people will semi fake their own deaths for publicity?!) but fear the worst. The fiance not talking surely isn't a great sign.
I was thinking the same thing, police come, I’m talking straight away if it’s a blog “prank” or whatever.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’ve found a body “consistent with that of Gabby Petito”.