MLB 2018

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
2017 is done and dusted. Somebody won a World Series, some team from Texas I think. One of the players got to bang a Super Model because of it

But anyways onwards and upwards to the Hot Stove League. Trades. Free Agents. Yankees stil need a new manager. Some guy from Japan who can hit and pitch very well is going to end up someplace. San Fran, St Louis, and Boston in the early lead to get Stanton, though his contract is a problem.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Yankees name Aaron Boone as manager.

Stanton to meet with Giants and Cards.
I know Stanton wants to play for his hometown Dodgers. But he’d be age 38 by the end of his contract, glad that it appears Friedman isn’t interested. Now this Japanese kid Ohtani, on the other hand...

JustAFan

I know Stanton wants to play for his hometown Dodgers. But he’d be age 38 by the end of his contract, glad that it appears Friedman isn’t interested. Now this Japanese kid Ohtani, on the other hand...
If he puts up the same type of numbers over his contract what's the problem? The risk that he tails off and is then a burden is the downside risk

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
If he puts up the same type of numbers over his contract what's the problem? The risk that he tails off and is then a burden is the downside risk
That’s the rub though. Chances of him producing well into his 30s is unlikely. Never been a fan of giving long-term contracts, look at the Angels with Pujols. They’ve still got 4 years left on his contract ffs. Not quite apples to apples as Pujols was 32 at the start of his 10-yr deal and Stanton was 26 at the start of his 13-yr deal, but still. Very few players (say, like a Mike Trout) I’d be comfortable giving a 10+ yr contract too, otherwise they’ll be an albatross around one’s neck.

That’s not even mentioning the Dodgers play in the NL where there is no DH. Surely, he won’t be playing an everyday corner outfield spot as he hits his mid-30s.

JustAFan

That’s the rub though. Chances of him producing well into his 30s is unlikely. Never been a fan of giving long-term contracts, look at the Angels with Pujols. They’ve still got 4 years left on his contract ffs. Not quite apples to apples as Pujols was 32 at the start of his 10-yr deal and Stanton was 26 at the start of his 13-yr deal, but still. Very few players (say, like a Mike Trout) I’d be comfortable giving a 10+ yr contract too, otherwise they’ll be an albatross around one’s neck.

That’s not even mentioning the Dodgers play in the NL where there is no DH. Surely, he won’t be playing an everyday corner outfield spot as he hits his mid-30s.
Might be in the OF, might be moved to first base. A lot would depend on the shape he keeps himself in.

Might also be that the Marlins are forced to pay part of that contract which eases the burden on any club he goes to . Rangers had to do that to unload Arod.

Plus his contract may lower his price in terms of prospects going the other way.

There is a gamble with the contract but it may not be that bad.

ArseHat

Stanton’s ntc screwed over the Marlins. It doesn’t help when he rules out 26 of the 30 teams he’d be willing to go to.

Shohei Ohtani decides to join the Angels in a huge coup. Don’t remember a player hyped as much as him for a while.

Leg-End

Stanton’s ntc screwed over the Marlins. It doesn’t help when he rules out 26 of the 30 teams he’d be willing to go to.

Shohei Ohtani decides to join the Angels in a huge coup. Don’t remember a player hyped as much as him for a while.
Moncada I guess but yeah two way players don't come around very often!

Yankees got Stanton for basically nothing simply because they were the only ones willing to take on that contract and be part of a group of seemingly 4 he would approve a trade to. I'm excited by the middle of this lineup now, if they can get CC back and maybe trade for a solid 3-4 SP then that's a great off-season, be surpised if Cashman doesn't turn atleast one of his top prospects into an arm (not Gleyber though).

Pscholes18

Fecking Stanton...thought the Dodgers had him until yesterday when the reports coming out he would consider the Yankees...knew the chase was done after that...cnut...I fecking hate the Yankees.

Rooney1987

Jeter trading his best player to his former club....not suspicious at all.

If the Marlins are going to pay part of Stanton's salary the Yankees have really gotten a favor from Jeter.
I mean when you put it like that it does look suspicious but when you look in to the actual deal it really isn't. Jeter and his team need to press the reset button get rid of this contract. Stanton turned down Giants/Cards trade midweek, he'll only consider 4 teams. Yanks only team out of the 4 to make an offer. Rumours his first choice are the Dodgers, if they at the last min could take him he'd go.

Rooney1987

Moncada I guess but yeah two way players don't come around very often!

Yankees got Stanton for basically nothing simply because they were the only ones willing to take on that contract and be part of a group of seemingly 4 he would approve a trade to. I'm excited by the middle of this lineup now, if they can get CC back and maybe trade for a solid 3-4 SP then that's a great off-season, be surpised if Cashman doesn't turn atleast one of his top prospects into an arm (not Gleyber though).
If CC came back I think Sevy, Tanaka, Gray, CC with Montgomery fighting with Green for 5th spot is enough with Adams coming up during the season. With rumours Yanks aren't happy with young Frazier's attitude and with so many outfielders now, I think he could be moved on. I assume they'll rotate the DH spot now and might look for a 2nd baseman.

freeurmind

weak willed
Headley gone to the Padres. So it looks likely Frazier will sign and the Yankees will trade or sign a pitcher.

freeurmind

weak willed
Putting up new rules is all fine and well but useless if not enforced. Pitch clock and a strike issued for any time the batter leaves the batter's box except when averting danger, fouling a pitch of oneself or breaking a bat. One timeout for each side per at bat. That's how I would go.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Full bodied red

I'll just say the same as Opening Day last year.

If the Pitching Staff can stay healthy ( yeah...I know ) then it's there for the taking for the Mets....I hope.

Leg-End

When Stanton turns strikeouts into Home Runs the Yankees are gonna take off. Should be a good battle in the AL East all year.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is Baseball the best commented game? The anecdotes are sometimes actually interesting and funny.