MLB 2020

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Let us start the new year off with a bang. Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch of the Astros and Alex Cora, manager of the Red Sox, were all fired because of the sign-stealing investigation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
FFS, I stopped following the offseason and seemingly missed the juiciest parts.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think they will blow the squad up? I seen talk they were looking to trade Mookie but to be honest i'm a pretty casual MLB fan so don't know the in's and out's as to why. Seemed strange though.
Mookie is a free agent in 2021, the question is more about how much he is going to cost and the impact on the team payroll. Also if they can't find an agreement soon, it may be a good idea to get some assets out of him.

JoaquinJoaquin

Mookie is a free agent in 2021, the question is more about how much he is going to cost and the impact on the team payroll. Also if they can't find an agreement soon, it may be a good idea to get some assets out of him.
Ah ok then, see that makes more sense now. I thought it was strange why they would suddenly trade their best player away.

edcunited1878

Do you think they will blow the squad up? I seen talk they were looking to trade Mookie but to be honest i'm a pretty casual MLB fan so don't know the in's and out's as to why. Seemed strange though.
Dombrowski was fired in part because he couldn't build a team without overpaying and thus going into the luxury tax, which the Red Sox ownership didn't want to do (i.e. Henry doesn't want to pay a shitload of more money to compete). The David Price contract is a terrible contract because he was overvalued, but then again they won a World Series. So in order to get under the luxury tax in the near term future, trading Mookie for a great haul with players under control for X years at a good price will help them because there's no way they can afford Mookie with Price on the books along with the other players they have.

JPRouve

Scout
Dombrowski was fired in part because he couldn't build a team without overpaying and thus going into the luxury tax, which the Red Sox ownership didn't want to do (i.e. Henry doesn't want to pay a shitload of more money to compete). The David Price contract is a terrible contract because he was overvalued, but then again they won a World Series. So in order to get under the luxury tax in the near term future, trading Mookie for a great haul with players under control for X years at a good price will help them because there's no way they can afford Mookie with Price on the books along with the other players they have.
And there is the future Benintendi issue because he well probably fetch even more than Mookie in 2023. Even if Price was tradable, it would be questionable to have your LF and RF on lengthy mammoth contracts. As you said they need to find good value contracts.

Mani

Boston need to look into offloading Price and his 96M which could easily get them below the luxury cap,Angels are shorts of arms and might be willing to take him, Dodgers where discussing on Mookie trade but I doubt they are not ready to give on their upcoming prospects for the man who will hit free agency in other one year.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
What's happening with the Astros? Did they cheat in Patriots kind of style?

edcunited1878

Boston need to look into offloading Price and his 96M which could easily get them below the luxury cap,Angels are shorts of arms and might be willing to take him, Dodgers where discussing on Mookie trade but I doubt they are not ready to give on their upcoming prospects for the man who will hit free agency in other one year.
Price's trade value is quite low when you consider his annual contract and total contract for the buying team. Red Sox will probably want the acquiring team to take on all of his salary or majority of it, plus giving up whatever players...which isn't good value. Mookie has to be traded if the Red Sox aren't going to resign him and I'm not sure about his arbitration eligibility or else he might be the recipient of the largest arbitration deal in MLB history.

Mani

Price's trade value is quite low when you consider his annual contract and total contract for the buying team. Red Sox will probably want the acquiring team to take on all of his salary or majority of it, plus giving up whatever players...which isn't good value. Mookie has to be traded if the Red Sox aren't going to resign him and I'm not sure about his arbitration eligibility or else he might be the recipient of the largest arbitration deal in MLB history.
Mookie already getting 27M for 2020 and will be free from next year and yes Price trade value is low right now but could be useful tool for Angels or Dodgers, considering these two were after Cole.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
@JoaquinJoaquin Saw what happened? Mookie has been traded to the Dodgers.
Not quite - seems the deal has it a snag. Will probably be resolved, but the Sox are not as sold on Graterol as they'd like to be.

JPRouve

Scout
Not quite - seems the deal has it a snag. Will probably be resolved, but the Sox are not as sold on Graterol as they'd like to be.
True but the conversation was about whether the Red Sox would do it and clearly they would, they are waiting for the medical if I'm not mistaken.

Leg-End

I, For One, Welcome our Woodward overlord.
Seems Red Sox are just reducing pay roll, Price isn't worth $32 million annually now and Betts was looking at what $27 million this year and walks for free in 2021. It's not a great trade for them but if they re-tool it's sensible.

JPRouve

Scout

So, initially I didn't realize that Maeda to the Twins was part of a three way trade between the Twins, Dodgers and Red Sox. So now Graterol is going to L.A and Maeda to Minnesota. Betts and Price are supposed to go to L.A in exchange of Verdugo, Wong and Downs pending medicals.

In Rainbows

As much as I hate losing at the end, it's a good time to be a Dodgers fan. Our development team has done a great job with developing young talents, with scouting also being great. The entire management is just really good. The former is what I'm used to (1990's), with the latter usually being our downfall (90s & 2000s).

If only United had that level of competence in management.

Man of Leisure

@In Rainbows Friedman has been as good as I thought he’d be. We’ve got Betts on a 1-yr rental without trading any of our top prospects. Definitely sucks we didn’t win at least one World Series in the past several years, but excited for the new season.