MLB 2021

Barbara Charles

For the love of pickled beets
Chris Sale throwing on the sideline for the Red Sox. Cannot wait to get him back in the rotation after him being out for over a year.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Everyone think Ohtani has got the derby wrapped up tonight?
Easy favourite yeah but him going up against Alonso will be interesting.

Looking at the right bracket, you'd have to think Gallo is getting to the final.

Left side:
  • Angels' Shohei Ohtani (1) vs. Nationals' Juan Soto (8)
  • Royals' Salvador Perez (4) vs. Mets' Pete Alonso (5)
Right side:
  • Rangers' Joey Gallo (2) vs. Rockies' Trevor Story (7)
  • Athletics' Matt Olson (3) vs. Orioles' Trey Mancini (6)

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

The Nats/Phillies game called last night due to a bout of coronavirus going round the Nats camp (and planted by the Phillies Phanatic)

4 players, including 2k21 All Star Trea Turner, and 8 staff members tested positive, with reports saying most were vaccinated.

The idea being touted is to play a doubleheader today but no more news has come out and apparently it's going to rain in Philly.

What a jam. Scherzer off too.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
So Trade season is in full swing and Nats are getting an absolute rogering.

Schwarber gone to the Red Sox.

Scherzer and Turner lined for the Dodgers, who will be absolutely stacked, with highly rated catcher (Ruiz) coming in return.

Hudson gone too but that's less of an issue.

A total rebuild job in flow and I'm expecting us to finish bottom of NL East now :(

edcunited1878

If you've ever watched Field of Dreams, the Yankees and White Sox are playing a regular season game in Iowa adjacent to the field/set of the movie.

It's a very surreal thing to watch and it's amazing.

Wittmann45

The game and the presentation are cheesy as can be but I have loved every minute of it. The players appearing from the corn field gave me goosebumps, though Costner walking around by himself for what seemed like a lifetime was awkward

My only complaint ( and I know it's the modern game) is that the ads in the stadium are taking me out of it ever so slightly. Also, considering the movie this whole thing is based upon, maybe FOX shouldn't have incorporated gambling content

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I had no idea this thread existed! As a Giants fan this has been an amazing season so far. Staying up till midnight a few times a week was rough the last few years, but this year it’s so damn fun.

Question for ya’ll; is Posey a hall of famer? I think this season, and a similar one next year, cements his place. Along with Molina he is the best catcher of his era. Thoughts?

edcunited1878

I had no idea this thread existed! As a Giants fan this has been an amazing season so far. Staying up till midnight a few times a week was rough the last few years, but this year it’s so damn fun.

Question for ya’ll; is Posey a hall of famer? I think this season, and a similar one next year, cements his place. Along with Molina he is the best catcher of his era. Thoughts?
The Giants have been impressive with their starting pitching and home run hitting lineup. Crawford, along with Posey, were first half MVPs.

Posey is easily, easily a HoF. His production as a catcher both behind the plate and with the bat, plus his World Series championships...he's been a cornerstone for the franchise and city.

Molina being older, but yes...they have been the two best catchers the past 20 years I'd say. Salvador Perez needs a few more years, but he's been the best catcher behind those two for a while now. Going a little further back, I'd easily put Piazza and Pudge Rodriguez up there. Fringe catches are like Jason Kendell, Posada, Varitek.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
The Giants have been impressive with their starting pitching and home run hitting lineup. Crawford, along with Posey, were first half MVPs.

Posey is easily, easily a HoF. His production as a catcher both behind the plate and with the bat, plus his World Series championships...he's been a cornerstone for the franchise and city.

Molina being older, but yes...they have been the two best catchers the past 20 years I'd say. Salvador Perez needs a few more years, but he's been the best catcher behind those two for a while now. Going a little further back, I'd easily put Piazza and Pudge Rodriguez up there. Fringe catches are like Jason Kendell, Posada, Varitek.
Another good season and a few decent ones gets him to 2k hits and 200 hr’a which would make him a lock. I don’t think he needs them, but who knows with HoF voters. In my eyes he should get in for this, and this alone. The reactions by Latos and Hanigan are amazing.

edcunited1878

Another good season and a few decent ones gets him to 2k hits and 200 hr’a which would make him a lock. I don’t think he needs them, but who knows with HoF voters. In my eyes he should get in for this, and this alone. The reactions by Latos and Hanigan are amazing.
Haha! Latos was familiar with Posey from his time with the Padres and seeing how bad the pitch missed and they knew immediately it was gone.

I think he's a lock right now because the C position is such a premium and there are very few catchers who have produced like him the past 20 years. Only 19 catchers are in the HoF...the most recent have been Piazza and Pudge Rodriguez. The next will be Molina and I would think Posey. Don't think there will be another catcher like those two for a while.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Haha! Latos was familiar with Posey from his time with the Padres and seeing how bad the pitch missed and they knew immediately it was gone.

I think he's a lock right now because the C position is such a premium and there are very few catchers who have produced like him the past 20 years. Only 19 catchers are in the HoF...the most recent have been Piazza and Pudge Rodriguez. The next will be Molina and I would think Posey. Don't think there will be another catcher like those two for a while.
giants fan hated, and I mean HATED, Latos (which is why he of course spent a season on the Dodgers).
That 2012 title was awesome. From the comeback series wins against the reds and cards, the Molina/Posey subplot, and absolutely no one picking the giants against the Tigers. Then Panda met Verlander and the rest is history.

the 2014 title will always be my favorite though. For game 7 I was in NoLa for work and I spent the last 3 innings pacing or on my knees next to the bed hiding my face. When Gordon hit that ball and Blanco misplayed it I started screaming at the TV. Then I was sure Perez was going to knock him in, but Bum kept climbing the ladder at Perez kept chasing. Great memories!

edcunited1878

giants fan hated, and I mean HATED, Latos (which is why he of course spent a season on the Dodgers).
That 2012 title was awesome. From the comeback series wins against the reds and cards, the Molina/Posey subplot, and absolutely no one picking the giants against the Tigers. Then Panda met Verlander and the rest is history.

the 2014 title will always be my favorite though. For game 7 I was in NoLa for work and I spent the last 3 innings pacing or on my knees next to the bed hiding my face. When Gordon hit that ball and Blanco misplayed it I started screaming at the TV. Then I was sure Perez was going to knock him in, but Bum kept climbing the ladder at Perez kept chasing. Great memories!
MadBum was the best competitor and it was a joy to watch him to that at the highest level/stage.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Pudge is up there with Bench and a couple others in the best of all-time debate. Had Piazza been a better defensive catcher he'd have a solid shout as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Pudge is up there with Bench and a couple others in the best of all-time debate. Had Piazza been a better defensive catcher he'd have a solid shout as well.
I would also add Munson to that list. Just finished listening to a podcast on Billy Martin and Munson figured prominently in it when discussing his Yankee management years. Stupid he is not in the HoF as he would have been right up there statwise had he not died tragically.

I took a look at catcher stats and I forgot how damned good Carter was.

Also, Piazza worked hard a made himself into a decent defensive catcher. His arm was always a wet noodle, but he got much better at receiving and game calling by the time he was in NY.

edcunited1878

I would also add Munson to that list. Just finished listening to a podcast on Billy Martin and Munson figured prominently in it when discussing his Yankee management years. Stupid he is not in the HoF as he would have been right up there statwise had he not died tragically.

I took a look at catcher stats and I forgot how damned good Carter was.

Also, Piazza worked hard a made himself into a decent defensive catcher. His arm was always a wet noodle, but he got much better at receiving and game calling by the time he was in NY.
Thurman was a top player and yes, his premature death prevented him from going into the HoF. Shame.

Gary Carter yes, totally. Those years with the Expos...great, yet unfortunate because it was in Canada and most of the folks south of the Northern border didn't appreciate him enough. It's crazy.

edcunited1878

Pudge was a badass and I'd be totally fine taking him over Bench. Can't go wrong with either, but Pudge could shut down any running game, call a great game, and just lock it down defensively while hitting 1 through 5

Carolina Red

Staff
brought to you courtesy of my Giants. Still one of my favorite videos of the year.
As a disciple of Ted Williams’ “The Science of Hitting”, I almost threw up watching that clip of Baez. Good pitch by the Giants pitcher, but I’ve seen better plate discipline from JV players

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As a disciple of Ted Williams’ “The Science of Hitting”, I almost threw up watching that clip of Baez. Good pitch by the Giants pitcher, but I’ve seen better plate discipline from JV players
i fecking love baseball. It is my favorite sport and I can discuss it for hours. It is at the same time the most and least athletically challenging sport. It is both the simplest and most intricate of sports. It is the ultimate team sport that is also based on a head to head challenge. It is awesome.
By the way, Williams and Bonds are, in my opinion the two greatest hitters in the history of the sport. I just wish Bonds had not given in to his ego and used steroids. He was already in the top 5 players ever and only managed to tarnish that legacy.

Edit: Cobb is disqualified for being a racist, bigoted asshole