MLB 2022

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I highly recommend looking up the best MLB brawls. There were some nasty brawls back in the 70s into 90s. Cubs were in a couple famous brawls, and that O's/Yanks fight in the late 90s was insane.

MrMarcello

Who was the first player to receive a ridiculous contract, was it A-Rod?
Most top players would set the market starting the late 70s when FA was approved and Nolan Ryan was the first million dollar salaried player. I think the one that really fecked up the market while being mediocre was Bud Black. I also recall the Rangers giving Park that ridiculous contract for an average pitcher. At least with A-Rod you knew you would get high production, Park was an NL pitcher that anyone should have forecasted he'd get slaughtered in the Rangers home park.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Few players gone the way of Choccy after that brawl

Angels
  • Interim manager Phil Nevin: Ten games
  • Third baseman Anthony Rendon: Five games
  • Assistant pitching coach Dom Chiti: Five games
  • Right-hander Andrew Wantz: Three games
  • Right-hander Ryan Tepera: Two games
  • Right-hander Raisel Iglesias: Two games
  • Bench coach Ray Montgomery: Two games
  • Interpreter Manny del Campo: Two games
  • Catching coach Bill Haselman: One game
Mariners

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Few players gone the way of Choccy after that brawl

Angels
  • Interim manager Phil Nevin: Ten games
  • Third baseman Anthony Rendon: Five games
  • Assistant pitching coach Dom Chiti: Five games
  • Right-hander Andrew Wantz: Three games
  • Right-hander Ryan Tepera: Two games
  • Right-hander Raisel Iglesias: Two games
  • Bench coach Ray Montgomery: Two games
  • Interpreter Manny del Campo: Two games
  • Catching coach Bill Haselman: One game
Mariners
And you never, ever, EVER want to go full Choccy

MrMarcello

Curious if Rendon's suspension is to be served once he's off the DL/IR list. Would seem rather stupid to suspend him while injured - he's not playing anyhow.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
With most sports on a break I have genuinely gotten into Baseball this year and I must say that having so many games every day is such a bliss. Just like the other American sports there is so much more to this sport than what meets the eye

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
With most sports on a break I have genuinely gotten into Baseball this year and I must say that having so many games every day is such a bliss. Just like the other American sports there is so much more to this sport than what meets the eye
Who's your team?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah that's the best thing. Whenever I'm bored in the evening I know I can throw on the early game and have it on in the background :)

Who's your team?
Mets I think

sarcasm, i think it's the yankees

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Yeah that's the best thing. Whenever I'm bored in the evening I know I can throw on the early game and have it on in the background :)

Mets I think

sarcasm, i think it's the yankees

Hahaha it is the Yankees of course

MrMarcello

Can’t believe I’ve never heard of that before.
I remember hearing of this Bonilla deferred payment thing many, many years ago. But here is a similar deal I never knew of, but it ended last year.

https://fansided.com/2020/07/01/atlanta-braves-bobby-bonilla-contract-bruce-sutter/
Atlanta Braves have their own version of the Bobby Bonilla contract
Since the dumb 1980s Atlanta Braves agreed to pay the $9.1 million deal in full, they agreed to pay Sutter deferred payments of no less than $1.12 million through 2021. Keep in mind he only made roughly $750,000 in annual salary during his four years playing badly for the Braves.

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!

From Axios Sports (always a great read and great summary):

"Today, 59-year-old Bobby Bonilla will collect a check for $1.2 million from the Mets, as he has and will every July 1 from 2011 through 2035.

In 2000, the Mets bought our the remaining $5.9 million on Bonilla's contract. But instead of paying it right then, they agreed to make annual payments from 25 years, including a negotiated 8% interest.

At the time, Mets ownership was invested in Bernie Madoff accounts that promised double-digit returns, so deferred payments made financial sense. Unfortunately, Madoff was a crook.

The Mets have paid Bonilla roughly $14.3 million so far, and he has 13 years and $15.5 million left.

Fun fact: Did you know the Orioles also gave Bonilla a deferred contract? They've been paying him $500,000 a year since 2004 and are on the hook until 2028."

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Batting 259 now with 18HR & 50+RBI along with 2.44 ERA after 81 innings as a pitcher . How is this guy real

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Question for those who have played baseball at any competitive level…

Glove hand forefinger inside the glove or outside?

I was always outside.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Question for those who have played baseball at any competitive level…

Glove hand forefinger inside the glove or outside?

I was always outside.
Depends on the glove. My first baseman’s mitt was designed to be outside while my outfield glove was inside.
Edit: pitching glove was both. I randomly switched to pretend I had a tell for certain pitches.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just tuned into the Yankees/Red Sox game and it's an absolute clown show. :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
Just tuned into the Yankees/Red Sox game and it's an absolute clown show. :lol:

That’s the worst feeling when you just can’t see the ball. I used to hate when that would happen on foul balls popped up right behind the plate when I was catching… just sitting there waiting for the ball to hit your face as you look up.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That’s the worst feeling when you just can’t see the ball. I used to hate when that would happen on foul balls popped up right behind the plate when I was catching… just sitting there waiting for the ball to hit your face as you look up.
I can imagine :( - but to do so in a packed Fenway with the Yankees in town must be something else.

Can see the panic written over poor Arroyo's face, pleading for some kind of help that's not going to come. At least he managed to find it before Gallo got home I guess!

Carolina Red

Staff
I can imagine :( - but to do so in a packed Fenway with the Yankees in town must be something else.

Can see the panic written over poor Arroyo's face, pleading for some kind of help that's not going to come. At least he managed to find it before Gallo got home I guess!
Yeah that was a “I’m so fecking pissed and embarrassed” throw. I’ve made a few of those before :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
fecking Rays. Against Cincinnati of all teams. A balk off last night, now we are shitting the bed again.

e - fecking Rays

Last edited:

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Crazy scenes in the AL east with both Rays & Blue jays getting swept over the weekend while the orioles are on a 8 game winning streak

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’d have loved to have played for him. His Texas teams in the early 2000s were some of my favorite teams to watch ever.
Over Martin’s FSU teams? Obviously I love that 08-10 period that gave us Posey, but I still have McDougal(sp?)’s 1999 performance against (insert ACC team here) burned into my brain: 7-7, 6 HR, lots and lots of RBI.

Carolina Red

Staff
Over Martin’s FSU teams? Obviously I love that 08-10 period that gave us Posey, but I still have McDougal(sp?)’s 1999 performance against (insert ACC team here) burned into my brain: 7-7, 6 HR, lots and lots of RBI.
(I hate Florida State)