MLB 2022

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
This was fun. 6/7 for me and the 6 I got were super easy. The miss was tricky.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm still of the opinion that with current technology the home plate umpire is no longer required, at least for ball and strike calls. Now, getting that through old dinosaurs that still control the sport and the umpires union is a different animal to tackle.

Charlie Foley

This was fun. 6/7 for me and the 6 I got were super easy. The miss was tricky.

I got 5/7 . Feeling pretty good considering the fact I never played baseball. Some of mine were tough. One or two were incredibly easy

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of MadBum ascending to baseball godhood and the power of Crawfords throwing arm saving the good guys.

edit: I remember exactly where I was 10/29/14. On my knees praying in terror in a Hilton Garden in New Orleans.

Charlie Foley

And tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of MadBum ascending to baseball godhood and the power of Crawfords throwing arm saving the good guys.

edit: I remember exactly where I was 10/29/14. On my knees praying in terror in a Hilton Garden in New Orleans.
Mate we’ve talked about not sharing your sex life on here

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Has a team ever won the WS by sweeping every single opponent in the post season?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The game is great and all but nothing is better than the American political attack ads on the stream. "Inflation is up, heating bills are up, gas prices are up, but JOE BIDEN wants to give all your money to UKRAINE to start WORLD WAR 3!"

Paid for by "Citizens for Sanity" no less. :lol:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I'm still of the opinion that with current technology the home plate umpire is no longer required, at least for ball and strike calls. Now, getting that through old dinosaurs that still control the sport and the umpires union is a different animal to tackle.
Please no. The Umps are more a part of baseball than any other similar position in any sport. I still think ball and strikes are subjective and should stay that way. In fact they should get rid of that superimposed box in front of the catcher which makes every fan at home think they’re smarter than the home plate umpire. I have umped and balls and strikes are more than just location. It’s when the ball breaks and it has also to do with the batter height size ect. Let the fans keep guessing in a still human game with no time limit.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
The googles tell me only the 76 Reds have done it.
Yep I was at that world series and the Big Red Machine was the best team I have ever seen. Blew out my Yankees that year except Munson who they couldn’t get out.

Sandyman

As someone who doesn't follow Baseball, can someone please explain this to me? Are they saying he was deliberately doing it and cheating(i.e. he was in cahoots with Phillies) or that Phillies figured it out and took advantage?

Not a fan of Philly sports fan but Phillies fans seem to be the less annoying of the bunch. And feck Houston.
Why you no love us??
Although interesting that someone supporting the Cowboys will pick a Philly team over Texas team. Astros fans must be something else :lol:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Why you no love us??
Although interesting that someone supporting the Cowboys will pick a Philly team over Texas team. Astros fans must be something else :lol:
I don't do the "Texas is everything" nonsense some Texans do. Houston should have had their lone championship stripped, can never support that club. Houston fans are obnoxious. Philly fans are the worst in US sports though, vile cretins.

Don't mind the Union winning the MLS Cup but the Eagles, Flyers, and Sixers can suck it (Sixers fans aren't that bad from my limited experience).

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As someone who doesn't follow Baseball, can someone please explain this to me? Are they saying he was deliberately doing it and cheating(i.e. he was in cahoots with Phillies) or that Phillies figured it out and took advantage?
The second option. Pitchers strive to use the same mechanics (leg kick, arm speed, arm angle, etc.) for each pitch they throw. Pretty much any major league hitter can hit any fastball a pitcher can throw, so the art of pitching is to change speeds/pitch types/locations to keep the batter guessing and to prevent them sitting on a particular location/speed. A pitcher who is tipping pitches is one that has some difference, even minor, in their mechanics for different pitch types. Once the hitting team figures this out they can identify the incoming pitch before it is released, which pretty much eliminates any advantage the pitcher might have.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The second option. Pitchers strive to use the same mechanics (leg kick, arm speed, arm angle, etc.) for each pitch they throw. Pretty much any major league hitter can hit any fastball a pitcher can throw, so the art of pitching is to change speeds/pitch types/locations to keep the batter guessing and to prevent them sitting on a particular location/speed. A pitcher who is tipping pitches is one that has some difference, even minor, in their mechanics for different pitch types. Once the hitting team figures this out they can identify the incoming pitch before it is released, which pretty much eliminates any advantage the pitcher might have.
Sounds smart but couldn't they do something easier like have some guy in the video room read the catcher's signs and use some kind of audible code to alert the batter?

The first team to do that would go pretty far I reckon

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Sounds smart but couldn't they do something easier like have some guy in the video room read the catcher's signs and use some kind of audible code to alert the batter?

The first team to do that would go pretty far I reckon
Hmmmmm… could work. Maybe bang on a trash can? You might be on to something.

Sandyman

I don't do the "Texas is everything" nonsense some Texans do. Houston should have had their lone championship stripped, can never support that club. Houston fans are obnoxious. Philly fans are the worst in US sports though, vile cretins.

Don't mind the Union winning the MLS Cup but the Eagles, Flyers, and Sixers can suck it (Sixers fans aren't that bad from my limited experience).
We ain't that bad - we're just misunderstood :lol:

Cheers for the detailed explanation. I guessed as much but it was the tipping word that threw me off. Sounded like tipping the other team off

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Would be great if the Astros wore their horizontal throwbacks this weekend as well…

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Man Verlander just about got out of that jam. Some very erratic pitching this inning.

NM

Phillies looked cooked. Can easily see them losing Game 6.
Yup we aren't good enough tbh. too top heavy in hitting (and one of them has disappeared) and only 2 good pitchers, both of whom haven't shown up.

Great run but we are done.