MLB 2023

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Good god, we're a step closer in building the new stadium in the same place the old stadium is. The height of idiocy...

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Aside from being funky inside what's wrong with the Trop?

It's rarely ever more than about a third full, when the Red Soz play there there's usually more Sox fans than locals!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Aside from being funky inside what's wrong with the Trop?

It's rarely ever more than about a third full, when the Red Soz play there there's usually more Sox fans than locals!
Location, location, location.

When half of your potential geographical fan base is water, you ain’t gonna to draw very many people. Traffic is also an issue when trying to get to the stadium from Tampa or environs east & south.

Moving the stadium just 30 miles east taps onto multiple hundreds of thousands of new, viable, repeat customers, especially day trippers. But, that would mean St. Petersburg would lose one of its biggest assets & it will fight tooth & mail to keep it local.

Downtown STP has transformed itself since I grew up there in the 80s & 90s, it’s now a vibrant, yet almost quaint, economic area. But, there’s just not that many people in STP or Pinellas county to routinely fill a stadium. That’s why they want to pare down the new stadium to around 30K, similar to what happened in MLS cities when they built to suit soccer stadiums & got out of the large, cavernous football stadiums.

But, knowing the Rays & STP politics, this will get fecked up somehow & nothing will take place until there’s a new mayor.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Location, location, location.

When half of your potential geographical fan base is water, you ain’t gonna to draw very many people. Traffic is also an issue when trying to get to the stadium from Tampa or environs east & south.

Moving the stadium just 30 miles east taps onto multiple hundreds of thousands of new, viable, repeat customers, especially day trippers. But, that would mean St. Petersburg would lose one of its biggest assets & it will fight tooth & mail to keep it local.

Downtown STP has transformed itself since I grew up there in the 80s & 90s, it’s now a vibrant, yet almost quaint, economic area. But, there’s just not that many people in STP or Pinellas county to routinely fill a stadium. That’s why they want to pare down the new stadium to around 30K, similar to what happened in MLS cities when they built to suit soccer stadiums & got out of the large, cavernous football stadiums.

But, knowing the Rays & STP politics, this will get fecked up somehow & nothing will take place until there’s a new mayor.
Fair enough, had a vacation at St Pete beach a few years back and the traffic around Tampa was bad

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fair enough, had a vacation at St Pete beach a few years back and the traffic around Tampa was bad
Yep, the bridges connecting Tampa to St. Petersburg are notoriously inadequate for their current purpose. The area has just grown to big for its britches.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yep, the bridges connecting Tampa to St. Petersburg are notoriously inadequate for their current purpose. The area has just grown to big for its britches.
Yeah I was stuck on the one beween Tampa airport and St Pete a few times!

Leg-End

Silly predictions?

Judge to hit half his HR total from 2022
Ohtani traded to Dodgers by the deadline
Jomboy media takeover the world

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Silly predictions?

Judge to hit half his HR total from 2022
Ohtani traded to Dodgers by the deadline
Jomboy media takeover the world
The first 2 aren't silly
Thre3rd "silly" one should be Red Sox shock Yankees by winning the AL East

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Always a bit deflating when the SB is over.

But it’s helped by the fact that pitchers & catchers report this week. :drool:

Charlie Foley

Each year I get slowly more invested in baseball. Went to a number of games last season. That number was 3 but still.

How are the giants looking heading into this season? I thought they were going to get Judge or that other guy (Correa?) but both fell through although if I recall the latter also didn’t get his move to the Mets due to an injury?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
How's the players taking to it, and sorry I probably should Google, but is there new rules also been implemented for this season?
I actually should just go on the athletic, I haven't read up on Power rankings and all mlb stuff for a while.
Base runners will like it because they can steal a base that much quicker & allows for different slides into second & third to avoid being tagged (more the former).

Nee rules are a pitch clock (not sure of what the varying punishments are, but this is badly needed) & keeping the runner at second base during extra innings.

SirAnderson

Base runners will like it because they can steal a base that much quicker & allows for different slides into second & third to avoid being tagged (more the former).

Nee rules are a pitch clock (not sure of what the varying punishments are, but this is badly needed) & keeping the runner at second base during extra innings.
That's great, yeah more base steals will definitely add extra element to the game.

Sounds interesting, looking forward to the new season.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
How's the players taking to it, and sorry I probably should Google, but is there new rules also been implemented for this season?
I actually should just go on the athletic, I haven't read up on Power rankings and all mlb stuff for a while.
You should find the articles on MLB.com - these new measures have been rested out in the minor leagues over the last few years, the pitch clock and the max 2 pick-off rule are the ones I expect will have the biggest impact

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Totally funky now trying to watch baseball on the tube. If I am dividing my attention between the game & my laptop, my internal baseball clock is all off. I look up when I think the next pitch will occur & I'm so behind the action.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Crying right now. His voice had occupied thousands of hours in my life. Feels like an old buddy passed...

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Crying right now. His voice had occupied thousands of hours in my life. Feels like an old buddy passed...

I know the feeling, felt the same about Chick Hearn (Lakers) and Vin Scully (Dodgers). Thousands of hours, many of them working with my dad in the garage or yard, were spent with those guys bringing the games to life on our ancient little portable radio.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I know the feeling, felt the same about Chick Hearn (Lakers) and Vin Scully (Dodgers). Thousands of hours, many of them working with my dad in the garage or yard, were spent with those guys bringing the games to life on our ancient little portable radio.
Yep, mine has been through an iPhone wherever I was at the time. Thankfully technology now allows for that. I'm the kind of baseball fan who never listens to the TV broadcast, that just doesn't have the romance of play by play on the radio. The game would be on the screen, but I would rarely look at it as I am much more content to be told a story every day by broadcasters I felt were a little like family.

Thankfully we will have a quality replacement internally fill Dave's shoes & has done so admirably in the past, it'll just take a bit of time to become accustomed to a new voice in the booth.